Christopher O'Callaghan

Default whistling noise?!?!

I installed my new radio yesterday evening, TOOK BLOODY AGES cause of he
amount of wire and the limited amount of space behine the unit... FINALLY
squeezed it in, and turned it on, all worked fine amps powered nothing blew
up.. oh yeah put in another set of rca cable as the new head unit has 6 pre
outs... as I said thought everythin was working perfectly until I drove the
car today, stupid whistling when I press the accelerator!!! I took the head
unit back out, and checked the ground connection there, all seemed fine.
Checked the made a new ground for the amp, yet whistle is still there!!! am
I missing something? is there anythin else I should check??

Christopher O'Callaghan

My set up was an audiobahn 4 channel amp powering my fronts and my sub... My
old head unit only had one preout, so I had to use splitters to split the
output from the headunit into 4 for my amp... My new head unit has 3 sets of
preouts (front, back, sub) I used the front preout and the sub preout since
thats what I'm running and hooked them upto my amp..

I back to my old set up, got one est of the preouts and split them and
hook'd them to the amp, the whistling stopped... So I tried the other set,
split them again and connected them, the whistling still stopped?!?!

IT seems the whistling only happens when I use 2 preouts from the head
unit... Why is this?? Was I right to use the sub preout since I'm running a
sub off two channels?? Or could that be the cause of the problem since
having the front preout and sub preout going into one amp??

bit confused, hope it makes sense...

Any helf aT ALL appreciated.

"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote in message
I installed my new radio yesterday evening, TOOK BLOODY AGES cause of he
amount of wire and the limited amount of space behine the unit... FINALLY
squeezed it in, and turned it on, all worked fine amps powered nothing blew
up.. oh yeah put in another set of rca cable as the new head unit has 6 pre
outs... as I said thought everythin was working perfectly until I drove the
car today, stupid whistling when I press the accelerator!!! I took the head
unit back out, and checked the ground connection there, all seemed fine.
Checked the made a new ground for the amp, yet whistle is still there!!! am
I missing something? is there anythin else I should check??

Mister.Lull

Are you running the outputs right next to your power lines?

Christopher O'Callaghan

Well at the moment I have the outputs going straight over my back seats,
haven't hidden them in the side panels... Pretty sure that aint the
problem...
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are you running the outputs right next to your power lines?

Mister.Lull

Wait, you're running the front channel AND the sub channel into ONE
amp... Did I misread that, or is that what's going on?

If that is the case, try using the rear channel instead of the sub
channel. If I was/am mistaken, disregard all of this.

~Mister.Lull

Christopher O'Callaghan

Ermmm yeah thats what I did... Wasn't sure if I could do that or not, I
assumed that the 4 channel amp is really 2 separate amps in the one (ie diff
circuitry)....

The sub preout just allows you to set the LPF setting etc from the head unit
doesn't it?? it shouldn't really make a difference that I'm using the fonrt
pre-out and sub preout into the one amp should it?
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wait, you're running the front channel AND the sub channel into ONE
amp... Did I misread that, or is that what's going on?

If that is the case, try using the rear channel instead of the sub
channel. If I was/am mistaken, disregard all of this.

~Mister.Lull

Chris Mullins

not sure if this is what lull was suggesting but why not just split one of
your channels (like rear). Well split the pair so you get the # of outs you
need.. should solve your problem. A more detailed explanation of how your
system is set up would help, i don't think i'm the only one confused.

"Christopher O'Callaghan" wrote in message
Ermmm yeah thats what I did... Wasn't sure if I could do that or not, I
assumed that the 4 channel amp is really 2 separate amps in the one (ie
diff circuitry)....

The sub preout just allows you to set the LPF setting etc from the head
unit doesn't it?? it shouldn't really make a difference that I'm using the
fonrt pre-out and sub preout into the one amp should it?
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wait, you're running the front channel AND the sub channel into ONE
amp... Did I misread that, or is that what's going on?

If that is the case, try using the rear channel instead of the sub
channel. If I was/am mistaken, disregard all of this.

~Mister.Lull

Christopher O'Callaghan

Yeah sorry about the post, I find it hard to explain...

Ok currently I have one amp, infinity's in the front, 6x9s in the back and
sub in the boot. My amp has 4 channels... 1,2 are running the front speakers
and 3,4 are bridged and running the sub..

I bought the clarion touchscreen headunit, it has 3 outs, 1 for front, 1 for
rear, and one for sub.... I connected the front output to channel 1 and 2
for the front speakers, my headunit is driving the back 6x9s (temp setup
till buy another amp). and the sub out on the head unit is connected to 3,4
of the amp to drive my sub... I did this cause I can then control the gain
etc of the sub from the headunit.

Lull was stating that it could be due to the fact that I hooked the preout
of the front speakers and the preout of the sub to a single amp. I think
he's suggesting that the problem has arose since I have these two outputs
runnin to one amp rather than two... But would it make a difference? Could
that be why I'm getting the alternator whine?

I dont think its due to inference VIA the power cable being too close to the
RCA cables as if I use one set of cable and split it at the amp there seems
to be no whining at all. I tried both outputs from the radio individually
splitting them and connecting up to the amp and no whining... its only when
I connect both the rca cables from the head unit to the amp that this
whining starts... Could it be as Lull said?? could it be cause I'm running
the front speaker preout and sub preout to the same amp???

Front +0 ---------------------------------------
Channel 1
Preout -0 ---------------------------------------
Channel 2

Back +0
Preout -0

Sub +0 ---------------------------------------
Channel 3
Preout -0 ---------------------------------------
Channel 4

Once again sorry if i'm not coming across that well...

Many thanks

"Chris Mullins" wrote in message
[...]

Lukas Schubert

Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

splitting them and connecting up to the amp and no whining... its only when
I connect both the rca cables from the head unit to the amp that this
whining starts... Could it be as Lull said?? could it be cause I'm running

Just a guess: Did you try placing both RCA-cables far away from each
other and another time close together?
Maybe they form some kind of inductive one-loop-coil?

Lukas
Christopher O'Callaghan

Hi, thanks to all that replied...
I tried everything, still no good... I reconnected the rca cables as
suggested yesrterday, front rca to channel 1 and 2 and back rca to channel 3
and 4.. .still no joy, whistling is still there.... I think it maybe down to
my wiring of the 16pin connector that goes into the head unit...

So can any of yous confirm, did I do it right??

Brown wire (phone mute lead) ---- Left it empty due to the fact I wont be
using the headunit with my phone..
Yellow wire (memory back-up lead) ---- Connected to the battery
Yellow wire (Bus power lead) ---- Connected to the battery
Red wire (Power lead) ---- Connected it to +12v
Blue/white wire (Amplifier turn-on lead) ---- Connected to remote turn on of
amp
Black wire (Ground lead) ---- Connected to vehicle chassis
Orange/white wire (Illumination lead) ---- Says connect it to the car power
supply terminal for illumination???? Wasn't sure what to do here, or if I
needed it, my old radio had no such wire, so I left it alone
Blue wire (Auto Antenna lead) --- Says connect it to the car power supply
terminal for the antenna??? Dunno what to do there? thought maybe its for
the cars that have the antenna that goes up and down?? I don't have that so
left it blank..

I'm pretty sure all my wiring is correct except for the Orange/White wire
and the blue wire, was I correct leaving these empty?? or could this be the
cause of my whistling???

I'm stuck, confused and outta ideas anyone?!?!? HELP!!!!

Oh yeah the head unit is the Clarion DXZ945MP

"Lukas Schubert" wrote in message
Christopher O'Callaghan wrote:

splitting them and connecting up to the amp and no whining... its only
when
I connect both the rca cables from the head unit to the amp that this
whining starts... Could it be as Lull said?? could it be cause I'm running

Just a guess: Did you try placing both RCA-cables far away from each
other and another time close together?
Maybe they form some kind of inductive one-loop-coil?

Lukas

Christopher O'Callaghan

Just read up.... The red wire is suppose to connected to the ACC iginition
connection; I have a fiat punto, it doesn't have an iginition start position
for the radio, I hooked it directly upto the battery, this ok??? I still
haven't found the cause of the whining, and well since the lack of replies I
guess you's dont know either; Thanks for all the replies though!!!!