EddieM

Default car radio recommendation

Robert Morein wrote

I have an antique Mercedes that has a standard DIN radio opening.
Due to the construction of the dash, flip-up or slide-up front panels can't
be accomodated -- there is a strip of uphollstery that is directly above the
radio opening.

I don't know what you meant by "slide-up" front panels, modern cd decks
usually comes with motorized flip-down or up. I doubt that it would collide
withthe uphollstery above the radio opening. They usually open up in an
angle without extending over the height of the deck. Anyway, it might be
much better to have the profesional installer do this if possible. Labor is
usually almost free if you buy the unit from them. You probably had that
original worn down radio from that antique Mercedes, get rid of that.

I recently bought a new CD deck, which the dealer installed for me. It
took the guys at least 2 1/2 hours to remove and install the new one.
I'm doing the whole rewiring right now finally! and I knew this thing is going
to take me more that 6 hours. I know, I've done this before. For this job,
I'm using the AQ type 2.1 speaker cable -- all 61 ft. of it. It's a solid
long grain copper in quad helix.

Are there any outstanding radio/CD players that have a simple, unextended
DIN compatible front panel?

The cd deck I just bought is Clarion DRZ9255. This is their latest and
I'm talkin top of the line here.

For the eyes:

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/...s/DRZ9255.html

http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLADRZ9255

This comes in standard size single din, it has that classic look and none of
that fancy motorized flip ups.

This is not the typical decks btw, it has three different modes for speaker
configuration. Cross-over points for each speakers is set through the unit.

More about DRZ9255 over at rec.audio.car, if you search.

Robert Morein

"EddieM" wrote in message
. ..

Robert Morein wrote

I have an antique Mercedes that has a standard DIN radio opening.
Due to the construction of the dash, flip-up or slide-up front panels

can't
be accomodated -- there is a strip of uphollstery that is directly above

the
radio opening.

I don't know what you meant by "slide-up" front panels, modern cd decks
usually comes with motorized flip-down or up. I doubt that it would

collide
withthe uphollstery above the radio opening.

It would, because the upholstery actually droops (by design) slightly over
the top of the radio. I have to remove the upholstery strip to get the radio
out.