Isolated Vocal

Old September 24th 19, 12:17 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Default Isolated Vocal

Hi,

stumbled on this vid a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMtIwobqbI

It's the isolated vocal of a famous recording, from 1967.

AFAIK, no effects used - just a mic (or two) in a largish room.

Now, some of the regulars here operate home or small studios that must sometimes take on jobs from members of the public who want themselves recoded professionally.

Likely as a demo, to help get themselves a gig or a position in a band.

So, I started thinking hypothetically:

What if a young lady came along with that kind of request and on first attempt produced exactly what you hear in the vid ??

Do you say:

"nice voice miss", hand her a digital file and a modest invoice ?

Or, is a bit more needed.

Has something similar ever happened to you ?

A curious mind would like to know.

..... Phil

Old September 24th 19, 10:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison > wrote:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMtIwobqbI
>
>It's the isolated vocal of a famous recording, from 1967.
>
>AFAIK, no effects used - just a mic (or two) in a largish room.
>
>Now, some of the regulars here operate home or small studios that must sometimes take on jobs from members of the public who want themselves recoded professionally.
>
>Likely as a demo, to help get themselves a gig or a position in a band.
>
>So, I started thinking hypothetically:
>
>What if a young lady came along with that kind of request and on first attempt produced exactly what you hear in the vid ??

Well, first I'd ask for a second take for protection, because you should
always do that.

And then I'd ask if she'd ever tried singing tenor parts, like say Nessun
Dorma? She could do it.

The dynamics on this are amazing (and it's been severely compressed to tape
both to bring up the reverb tails, to make it fit in the mix better, and
because we didn't have great dynamic range to throw away like we do now).
But the thing is, it's right on pitch throughout. She screams, she growls,
but she's never off key and it never breaks. The timing is weird and she's
not always on the beat but she can hit every note solid.

>Do you say:
>
>"nice voice miss", hand her a digital file and a modest invoice ?
>
>Or, is a bit more needed.
>
>Has something similar ever happened to you ?

I get classically-trained folks all the time who can hit it all perfectly on
the first try, but they still want to do a million takes and comp them. And
in the end, the final comp usually doesn't sound any better than the first
take. But I'm just the engineer, I'm not paying the bills.

I also get a lot of folk singers who can't hit the note no matter what, and
it's not even worth trying. I'll do two takes, maybe three at most, then I'll
try and punch in the worst of them, but for the most part I feel that if I
tried to clean it up too much, it wouldn't be real any more. But that's just
me. If they want to do a million takes or want it sent out to Mr. Fingaz for
editing, I can do that, although I'd recommend not.

Sometimes I say "Hey, why don't we make this a duet, you can sing the high
part and someone else can sing the low part..."

Old September 25th 19, 04:13 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 25/09/2019 9:50 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Sometimes I say "Hey, why don't we make this a duet, you can sing the high
> part and someone else can sing the low part..."
> --scott

Or .... "Have you considered taking up poetry ?".

Old September 25th 19, 01:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
------------------

> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMtIwobqbI
> >
> >It's the isolated vocal of a famous recording, from 1967.

(snip)

> >What if a young lady came along with that kind of request and on first attempt produced exactly what you hear in the vid ??

> Well, first I'd ask for a second take for protection, because you should
> always do that.

** Fair enough.

> And then I'd ask if she'd ever tried singing tenor parts, like say Nessun
> Dorma? She could do it.

** That would make the young lady smile.

> She screams, she growls,
> but she's never off key and it never breaks.
> The timing is weird and she's
> not always on the beat but she can hit every note solid.

** The rhythm is a borrow from Ravel's Bolero.

I think Grace sings a tad behind the beat for effect a few times.

BTW:

She wrote the song too, prior to joining Jefferson Airplane, who were surprised when it became a hit.

...... Phil

Old September 29th 19, 07:10 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Phil Allison wrote:

------------------------

> Hi,
>
> stumbled on this vid a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMtIwobqbI

> It's the isolated vocal of a famous recording, from 1967.
>
> AFAIK, no effects used - just a mic (or two) in a largish room.

** Here is another song from the same session, a huge hit at the time, " Somebody to Love " - written by Grace's husband.

This time, you also hear backing vocals from the band's male singers plus a faint background sound that might be acoustic leakage from Grace's headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbBlcLXsSbU

She *really* pulls out all the stops this time.

Try listening on phones.

Anecdote:
----------

On the TV show "Australian Idol", one contestant chose the song for " 60s night " - a big girl of aboriginal background. She turned in a respectable effort, but was heavily criticised by the judges and marked down for attempting something beyond her.

The nasty judge said: " ... the song you picked is notoriously difficult, only one person alive sings it well and that's Grace Slick. "

Nevertheless, the young lady ( Casey Donovan ) went on to win the competition.

..... Phil

Old September 29th 19, 11:47 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter Irwin

Phil Allison > wrote:

> ** Here is another song from the same session, a huge hit at the time, " Somebody to Love " - written by Grace's husband.

I'm pretty certain that Darby Slick was her brother-in-law. It is
an amazing song - even if I still haven't quite got what "your
mind is so full of bread" means. (It obviously expresses a condition
which occurs when the garden flowers are dead, but I'm no
clearer on it than that.)

Old September 29th 19, 01:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, Peter Irwin > wrote:
>an amazing song - even if I still haven't quite got what "your
>mind is so full of bread" means. (It obviously expresses a condition
>which occurs when the garden flowers are dead, but I'm no
>clearer on it than that.)

I always read it to mean that all the person cared about was money.

Old September 29th 19, 03:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Peter Irwin wrote:
------------------
Phil Allison:

> > ** Here is another song from the same session, a huge hit at the time, " Somebody to Love " - written by Grace's husband.

> I'm pretty certain that Darby Slick was her brother-in-law.

** Yes, I wrongly assumed it was her hubby cos of the same surname.

> It is
> an amazing song - even if I still haven't quite got what "your
> mind is so full of bread" means.

** The word sung is "red" - an expression of anger. Numerous lyric sheets I looked at on line say so & it sounds like "red" to me.

Dead garden flowers infers something beautiful has gone - Wiki informs us Darby wrote the song in response his girlfriend's hostile departure.

FYI:

Jimi Hendrix wrote the lyrics to "Wind Cries Mary" for his then girlfriend to atone for criticising her cooking when she made inedible mash potato ( his favourite dish ) one evening. Mary was her middle name. It was recorded in London in January 1967, just two months after Somebody to Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC0zYgLtm8U

..... Phil
Old October 2nd 19, 06:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

On 29 Sep 2019, Peter Irwin > wrote in rec.audio.pro:

> I'm pretty certain that Darby Slick was her brother-in-law. It is
> an amazing song - even if I still haven't quite got what "your
> mind is so full of bread" means. (It obviously expresses a
> condition which occurs when the garden flowers are dead, but I'm
> no clearer on it than that.)

It does sound kind of like "bread" on this recording, but I believe she
usually sang "dread".
Old October 2nd 19, 08:54 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Nil wrote:

------------

> On 29 Sep 2019, Peter Irwin > wrote in rec.audio.pro:
>
> > I'm pretty certain that Darby Slick was her brother-in-law. It is
> > an amazing song - even if I still haven't quite got what "your
> > mind is so full of bread" means. (It obviously expresses a
> > condition which occurs when the garden flowers are dead, but I'm
> > no clearer on it than that.)

> It does sound kind of like "bread" on this recording, but I believe she
> usually sang "dread".

** I'll go along with that.

After the first two lines of the song, having a mind full of "dread" makes perfect sense.

...... Phil