Marcos Marrero

Default Sound cards

OK, please don't flame me but I have to ask this question. I'm looking
into the purchasing a sound card for recording music. The soundblaster
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice, but I've heard about
the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards. What is yours guys
opinion? Which one should I go with. I've compared the soundblaster to
the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference
at all. Help please!!!!
Edward Bridge

"Marcos Marrero" wrote in message
om...
The soundblaster
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice,

Run the other direction.

Owner of a Audigy 2

Ed

Steven Sena

The Echo stuff is good. The Lynx cards are great...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording
"Marcos Marrero" wrote in message
om...
OK, please don't flame me but I have to ask this question. I'm looking
into the purchasing a sound card for recording music. The soundblaster
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice, but I've heard about
the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards. What is yours guys
opinion? Which one should I go with. I've compared the soundblaster to
the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference
at all. Help please!!!!

Leonid Makarovsky

Marcos Marrero wrote:
: into the purchasing a sound card for recording music. The soundblaster
: Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice, but I've heard about
: the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards. What is yours guys

If you're not a gamer, I wouldn't advise you to go with soundblaster. The
professional cards like M-Audio live up to what they advertise. SBs are not.

: opinion? Which one should I go with. I've compared the soundblaster to
: the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference

And how did you compare? Just a technical data?

--Leonid
Arny Krueger

Marcos Marrero wrote:

OK, please don't flame me but I have to ask this question. I'm looking
into the purchasing a sound card for recording music.

What do you mean by "recording music"? It can cover a lot of territory. Live
recordings 2-track, live recordings multitracked, studio recordings, music
is that mostly synthesized... Which is it, or is it all of the above?

The SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice,

It's like the Chevy Malibu of sound cards. Well, the Audigy is the Malibu,
the Audigy2 ZS Platinum is more like the gold-plated, pearl-handled version.

but I've heard about the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards.

Just the tip of the iceberg.

What is you guys opinion?

Edirol and M-Audio are the low-mid priced heavy lifters. Then there are the
Echo, Lynx DAL etc., etc. cards... There's really a big list of options.

Which one should I go with.

Tell us more what you plan to actually do.

I've compared the SoundBlaster to
the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference
at all.

Well, you know if I stand about 1 mile away, I can't see much difference,
either.

;-)

Marcos Marrero

Just technical data really. I've narrowed it down to the

M-Audio Delta 1010
Edirol DA-2496

I like the Edirol because of the front mounted connections on the
breakout box. I guess it just a preference of mine. Extreme tech did a
comparision on high end sound cards
(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1168119,00.asp). The
recommend the Edirol and then the Delta 410 but I picked the Delta
1010 because of the breakout box. Any reccomendations??

Leonid Makarovsky wrote in message ...
Marcos Marrero wrote:
: into the purchasing a sound card for recording music. The soundblaster
: Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice, but I've heard about
: the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards. What is yours guys

If you're not a gamer, I wouldn't advise you to go with soundblaster. The
professional cards like M-Audio live up to what they advertise. SBs are not.

: opinion? Which one should I go with. I've compared the soundblaster to
: the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference

And how did you compare? Just a technical data?

--Leonid

BBB

Hello,

I'm looking for a sound card to use for play back only. I currently use my
pc as a source and pre-amp. Sound quallity is very important, it would also
be benificial to have 2+ inputs. A multi channel digital out that supports
AC3 and DTS would be nice for future upgrades. Been leaning towards the
M-audio 24/96. Any reccomendations???????

My System:
Dual p4 2G xeons
Paradigm Ref Studio 100 V2 and Servo 15a
N80ES power amp

Thanks,
BBB

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Marcos Marrero wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

BBB wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a sound card to use for play back only. I currently
use my pc as a source and pre-amp. Sound quality is very important,
it would also be beneficial to have 2+ inputs. A multi channel
digital out that supports AC3 and DTS would be nice for future
upgrades. Been leaning towards the M-audio 24/96. Any
recommendations???????

My System:
Dual p4 2G xeons
Paradigm Ref Studio 100 V2 and Servo 15a
N80ES power amp

Sounds like basically higher end consumer audio, in which case the AP 2496
should be just fine. Its digital output is generally suitable for DD & DTS
digital data streams.

Doc

(Marcos Marrero) wrote in message . com...
OK, please don't flame me but I have to ask this question. I'm looking
into the purchasing a sound card for recording music. The soundblaster
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice, but I've heard about
the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards. What is yours guys
opinion? Which one should I go with. I've compared the soundblaster to
the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference
at all. Help please!!!!

I've been fooling around with SB cards a bit. You didn't mention MIDI
but I can tell you that especially with an Audigy, you get amazing
Midi capability for the price. They utilize system memory not an
onboard chip as with other cards, so, if you have 2 gigs of memory,
you can use whatever the computer doesn't need for midi patches. The
Live card works similarly but is restricted to 32 megs of ram for
midi, which is still healthy. The other neat thing is that you can
create your own midi patches with their Soundfont protocol.

As far as recording, you didn't indicate what you're recording. You're
going to be limited to 2 tracks and I'm told that their d/a converters
aren't as good as some dedicated pro cards, though they're not bad. If
you're just making demos for yourself, you'll probably find the card
more than good enough and represents a lot of capability for the
price. However, if you're looking to do many tracks at once, you'd
have to look elsewhere.

Be advised, there can be issues with installation and getting them to
run correctly, though supposedly they've ironed out many of the bugs
in the latest versions, and some of the bugs aren't the card's fault,
they're due to flaws the card exposes in certain mobo chipsets, at
least that's my understanding.

The other thing about Creative/Soundblaster is that their live
customer support is legendary for being terrible. Calling tech support
is at best a crap shoot. However, they do have an extensive knowledge
base which I've found far more useful, and there are Soundblaster
usenet groups. If you get the thing working, the Audigy can do great
things.

Bill Ruys

As an M-Audio Delta 1010 owner, I can only speak for that brand of cards.

There are lots of reasons to go with a pro/semi pro card like an M-Audio
card. Driver support is one. ASIO, WDM, GSIF, etc drivers ship with the
M-Audio card, so you are more likely to find that the card works with the
full range of pro audio applications out there.

Low latency is another good reason. The M-Audio cards will run at 1 to 2 ms
latency. The best I've ever got out of a sound blaster is 10 ms. So if you
want to use soft-synths or audio FX in real-time within your audio app, a
pro card is going to work way better.

Also, I don't know about the Audigy, but the Delta cards will do +4dB
and -10dB for interfacing to pro and cosumer gear. The analog I/Os are
fully balanced so you can be sure of not running into problems with noise
induced into cable runs if you use TRS cables between your outboard preamps
etc and the Delta.

Bill Ruys.

"Marcos Marrero" wrote in message
om...
OK, please don't flame me but I have to ask this question. I'm looking
into the purchasing a sound card for recording music. The soundblaster
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro looks like a good choice, but I've heard about
the Edirol and M-Audio "Professional" sound cards. What is yours guys
opinion? Which one should I go with. I've compared the soundblaster to
the other cards (Edirol, M-audio) and don't see much of a difference
at all. Help please!!!!

Marcos Marrero

Hi Arny, I'm looking into just doing demos. It may encompass all that
you listed. I'm really looking into the Edirol DA-2496 and the M-Audio
Delta 1010. I like the Edirol because of the front mounted connection
on the breakpout box. I compared both of them and didn't see a
difference at all.