Michael Wozniak

Default Record from modem/phone jack?

Hi all,
I'm just wondering - I'd think it would be fairly simple to use a computer
(laptop or desktop) with a dial-up modem to record phone conversations.
You'd already have a phone line coming in (RJ45?), a modem (some do
double-duty as sound cards, or is it vice-versa?), recording software on the
computer (even MS sound recorder would work). So why not just route the
phone audio thru hardware to the recording software and record? Is this
being done? Is this common? Easy? Cheap? What's required?

Thanks,
Mikey

jakdedert

Michael Wozniak wrote:
Hi all,
I'm just wondering - I'd think it would be fairly simple to use a
computer (laptop or desktop) with a dial-up modem to record phone
conversations. You'd already have a phone line coming in (RJ45?), a
modem (some do double-duty as sound cards, or is it vice-versa?),
recording software on the computer (even MS sound recorder would
work). So why not just route the phone audio thru hardware to the
recording software and record? Is this being done? Is this common?
Easy? Cheap? What's required?

Software...

Actually, I think you need a voice-enabled modem to do it. I've got a
dedicated computer which answers my phone. I believe that somewhere in the
manual for the IVM answering machine software, there's a way to record
calls.

I expect there are dedicated ap's to do likewise...likely a shareware
program somewhere.

Google...

jak

Thanks,
Mikey

Logan Shaw

Zigakly wrote:
"Michael Wozniak" wrote in message
.net...

I'm just wondering - I'd think it would be fairly simple to use a computer
(laptop or desktop) with a dial-up modem to record phone conversations.
You'd already have a phone line coming in (RJ45?), a modem (some do
double-duty as sound cards, or is it vice-versa?),

Modems cannot be used this way.

It depends on the modem. Most modern modems are actually just an
A/D, a D/A, and a DSP, and they do all the modulation in software.
Some of them can serve as an answering machine, and if they can
do that, they should be able to record phone calls as well,
with the right software, of course.

- Logan
Ben Bradley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:26:55 GMT, Logan Shaw
wrote:

Zigakly wrote:
"Michael Wozniak" wrote in message
.net...

I'm just wondering - I'd think it would be fairly simple to use a computer
(laptop or desktop) with a dial-up modem to record phone conversations.
You'd already have a phone line coming in (RJ45?), a modem (some do
double-duty as sound cards, or is it vice-versa?),

Modems cannot be used this way.

It depends on the modem. Most modern modems are actually just an
A/D, a D/A, and a DSP, and they do all the modulation in software.

Many of them don't even have a DSP, they use the computer's main
CPU for the DSP (it really brings the hardware cost down). I had one
years ago on a Pentium 200, the computer slowed down noticably when I
was online. The slowdown probably won't be noticable on modern
machines (which have too much else slowing them down anyway).

Some of them can serve as an answering machine, and if they can
do that, they should be able to record phone calls as well,
with the right software, of course.

- Logan

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Michael Wozniak

"Zigakly" wrote in message

"Michael Wozniak" wrote in message
.net...
Hi all,
I'm just wondering - I'd think it would be fairly simple to use a
computer
(laptop or desktop) with a dial-up modem to record phone conversations.
You'd already have a phone line coming in (RJ45?), a modem (some do
double-duty as sound cards, or is it vice-versa?), recording software on

the
computer (even MS sound recorder would work). So why not just route the
phone audio thru hardware to the recording software and record? Is this
being done? Is this common? Easy? Cheap? What's required?

Thanks,
Mikey

Modems cannot be used this way. There is an adapter at radio shack for an
unbalanced 1/8" output from a phone jack, plug that into the line input of
your sound card.

I haven't tried it yet, but my laptop outputs modem dial-up noise to the
built-in speakers. The speakers can be bypassed by inserting into the hph
out 1/8" jack. I could send an 1/8" - 1/8" cable to the 1/8" mic/line in and
record, no?

Mikey