Syl

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

There has been a prize offered by the Worldwide Society of Skeptics
of $100,000 offered to the first person/company to demonstrate in a double
blind AB test that one cable sounds different to another.
The prize seems safe, its never been awarded over the last 30 years.

Interesting. I know they are offering 1M$ to anyone able to demonstrate
_any_ Psi Phenomena, be it Telepathy, Telekinesis Psychokinesis or
any proof of Precognition. They're having a problem though as here in
Montreal
when I phoned they couldn't secure the 1M$ in a special "in trust" account.

Whoever does the double blind AB test would have to get results better
than 90% to be a valid results. Otherwise it would all be simple statistics,
right ?

Anyone here ever did such test for personnal benefit, or enlightment (AB
cable testing, line
and speaker ?)

Syl

---

Sugarite

There has been a prize offered by the Worldwide Society of Skeptics
of $100,000 offered to the first person/company to demonstrate in a

double
blind AB test that one cable sounds different to another.
The prize seems safe, its never been awarded over the last 30 years.

A skeptic by definition cannot participate in a double blind test. He/she
will always simply ignore the presentation and swear that they sound
identical. I think the prize offer must be a hoax, since the fact that a
difference exists can be quantified quite easily.

Anyone here ever did such test for personnal benefit, or enlightment (AB
cable testing, line
and speaker ?)

Anyone who hasn't is probably unable to do so for the reason above.

Phil Allison

** What bull****.

He/she will always simply ignore the presentation and swear that they

sound
identical.

** Not even faintly possible.

The simplest test ( with a known audible difference) would out anyone
with that mad idea.

I think the prize offer must be a hoax, since the fact that a
difference exists can be quantified quite easily.

** The demented Pat Turner simply made the story up - there is and
never was any such offer.

........... Phil

Choky

prick

Choky

prick

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick

Choky

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

Choky

prick

Packtech

Andy Cowley wrote:

doug wrote:

Mogami makes coaxial that is very good
Studios use it all the time.

For video. It's no good, it's 75 ohm, you'd need
4 ohm or 8 ohm for speakers. Anyway it seem to cost
a dollar an inch.
;-)

Stick with the Andrew LDF series :-

http://www.andrew.com/catalog38/cat3...px?PageNum=524

it even has a tubular centre conductor so you can water cool it.
You'll need high purity water, of course.

;-))))

Andy

this is complete pants...........it is only 75 omm at RF .......... ie
reactive; as a speaker cable it is pretty good as at audio frequencies
it has almost no impedance at all between the source and speaker. and as
an aside if you use the outer part of the conductor as the ground you
can isolate long speaker runs from other mains or rf nasties too.. You
are gettin,g mixed up here with impedance between the inner conductor
and outer shield, and straight ohms resistance, they are
different...........

Phil Allison

"Packtech"

Andy

this is complete pants...........it is only 75 omm at RF

** It has 75 ohms characteristic impedance at *any* frequency - same as
any other 75 ohm co-ax.

Please don't tell me about standing waves !!!!!

.......... Phil

Sugarite

A skeptic by definition cannot participate in a double blind test.

** What bull****.

He/she will always simply ignore the presentation and swear that they

sound
identical.

** Not even faintly possible.

The simplest test ( with a known audible difference) would out

anyone
with that mad idea.

If someone doesn't think cables can make a difference, they're simply
uninformed. If they take part in such a test and still refuse to believe,
only then are they a skeptic. And unfortunately there are a lot of skeptics
out there, surely you've met some. DBT's are wasted on them.

Phil Allison

"Sugarite"

A skeptic by definition cannot participate in a double blind test.

** What bull****.

He/she will always simply ignore the presentation and swear that they

sound identical.

** Not even faintly possible.

The simplest test ( with a known audible difference) would out

anyone with that mad idea.

If someone doesn't think cables can make a difference, they're simply
uninformed.

** Irrelevant what they think - in DBT.

If they take part in such a test and still refuse to believe, only then

are they a skeptic.

** Irrelevant what they believe - in a DBT.

The results will quickly make fools of them.

And unfortunately there are a lot of skeptics out there, surely you've met

some. DBT's are wasted on them.

** Nope - if there is an audible difference that will show up in a
properly done DBT.

Such a test must be done by the ABX method and must have controls - ie
small but known audible differences included.

If a listener does not pick up the controls a statistically significant
percentage of times then they are ruled out of the test as either deaf or a
cheat.

.............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Jimmy" wrote in message
m...
Impedance of coax has nothing to do with nothing at audio frequencies.

** So you are a ham as well.

Or maybe some desperate CBer ?

Is this absurd rot printed in some ham radio bible ?

Or on some **** ant's web site ?

.............. Phil

Packtech

Choky wrote:

prick
"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

I love this news group, the flame wars are the best ever......

On a more sober note, disregarding the chardonnay induced crap I put up
last time, I have spent many aa time messing around with all sorts of
cables together with all sorts of systems ( and a poorer man I am for
that ) and I personally have found that most, if not all cables are very
system dependant.

The only real improvement I have managed to accomplish on a repeatable
basis is a warm fire, some Ella Fitzgerald, a set of gently tinkling
KT88's and a glass or two of Jack Daniels. I usually find that after
three or more the system improvements are the best.

This of course cost a small fortune in Jack daniels but at the end of
the day both of us profit from this...

I am also described as something of a neanderthal by some of my more
earstwhile colleagues, here in Luxembourg ( expat ), as I not only adore
valve but analogue too.

Having just purchased a Shanling CDT 100, I still prefer my Garrad 401
etc etc, so does my non hi-fi fanatic wife

Phil Allison

"John Templeton"

What about capacitance issues?

** Co-ax cable, no matter how long, when terminated with a resistance
equal to its characteristic impedance will have a flat response to signals
fed in the other end. There is still some loss due to resistance and at
high frequencies an extra loss due to the dielectric absorbing energy - as
shown in all the tables.

.......... Phil

john stewart

Phil Allison wrote:

"John Templeton"

What about capacitance issues?

** Co-ax cable, no matter how long, when terminated with a resistance
equal to its characteristic impedance will have a flat response to signals
fed in the other end. There is still some loss due to resistance and at
high frequencies an extra loss due to the dielectric absorbing energy - as
shown in all the tables.

......... Phil

Thus spake the oracle. JLS

Phil Allison

"john stewart"

Thus spake the oracle. JLS

** So dribbled a Canadian ****head.

( .....is that a tautology?)

........... Phil

Sugarite

Coax cable would work fine if you simply use separate strands for positive
and ground terminals but do not connect the shields to anything. The main
conductor of a good internet grade TV cable is 18 gauge solid-core OFC, very
well suited to speaker cable, but a coax design of that type is not. It
would work well in a pinch, but isn't very practical or ergonomic.

Jimmy

"John Templeton" wrote in message
What about capacitance issues?

Yes capacitance is important. Generally speaking capacitive reactance should
be high compared to the impedance of the circuits or it will shunt highs to
ground. I say "generally" because there may be the oddball case where you
actually want the coax to change the sound.

John

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

"Jimmy" wrote in message
m...
Impedance of coax has nothing to do with nothing at audio frequencies.

** So you are a ham as well.

Or maybe some desperate CBer ?

Is this absurd rot printed in some ham radio bible ?

Or on some **** ant's web site ?

............. Phil

Jimmy

I would agree if you were using small coax on high power. Agood heavy duty
coax should work well for speaker wire but not better than just plain old
speker wire.

BTW to make ur own MONSTER WIRE take to pieces of coax, short the center to
the shield on each end. Now use these wires to connect ur speakers.

"Sugarite" wrote in message
news
Coax cable would work fine if you simply use separate strands for positive
and ground terminals but do not connect the shields to anything. The main
conductor of a good internet grade TV cable is 18 gauge solid-core OFC,

very
well suited to speaker cable, but a coax design of that type is not. It
would work well in a pinch, but isn't very practical or ergonomic.

My equipment review of the Bose 901 TonyP Audio Opinions 65 February 13th 04 01:06 AM
Speaker Cables and Interconnects, your opinion Stewart Audio Opinions 61 November 14th 03 05:41 PM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Seeking advice on speaker cable Eric the Mac Guy General 12 September 17th 03 11:39 AM