Steve O'Neill

Fred Nachbaur

Steve wrote:
Hi Fred:

Would you believe those lyrics from Steve Miller you quoted..."some people
call me Maurice, 'cuz I speak of the pompitous of love...." were the
subject of a rant by Mike Fremer of Stereophile and other defunct audio
rags. The rant went something like "Why do so many people get the lyrics
wrong to so many pop songs...?" He seemed to think that ANYONE who heard
that lyric as "pompitous" either didn't have a high resolution system or
needed their ears cleaned out. Fremer states that the word is clearly
"properties", he always heard it that way and apparently verified it with
Miller himself. Although I always heard it as pompitous too, I never could
figure out what it meant since it isn't in any dictionary. After reading
Fremer's suggestion I can sort of hear the word "properties" now but it sure
is enunciated poorly. Fremer should have jumped on Miller and not the
listener.

--
Steve

Haha! Well, if Fremer had done even a modicum of research, he wouldn't
end up looking quite as idiotic.

http://www.gangster-of-love.com/pompitous.html

So, if Fremer's stereo makes "pompitous" sound like "properties," then
he can keep it. ;-)

Cheers,
Pompitous Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Greg Pierce

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:19:03 +0000, the highly esteemed Steve O'Neill
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

I think you're confusing me with Gregg - he's the one who does the
4-1000. I only have one "g" at the end of my name.

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Fred Nachbaur

Steve wrote:
Hi Greg and Fred:

Interesting site and etymology of the the word "pompatus" or whatever it is.
In some respects I feel vindicated because I heard "pompatus" on what I
considered hi rez systems of the time (Quad ESL57s/QII and B&W DM6/Audio
Research D76) and I have to "force" myself to hear "properties" even though
it fits the context better w/o knowing the history. Two conclusions: Trust
your ears

Indeed.

and Fremer truly is a pompous ass.

As opposed to "pompitous ass." ;-)

Bet he never verified the
lyric with anyone much less Miller.

I don't see how he possibly could have. Should there remain any doubt,
have a look at the bio page at Steve Miller's *official* website:

http://www.stevemillerband.com/bio.html

You'll have to do a "find in page" to ferret out the word "pompitous."
It's indeed there, albeit without explanation.