mikeody mikeody is offline
Junior Member

Question Problem with Technics SL-PD887 CD Player

Hi guys,

I am very much a newbie so please be patient !
My Technics player is apparently only playing on one channel - total silence from 1 speaker. Given that everything is fine with all other inputs [eg another CD player, tuner, etc], my initial thought was a problem with one channel on the player.
So to confirm this [or so I thought] I swapped over the player's output jacks expecting the problem to immediately swap speakers. It did not !

Help please.

Mike

Last edited by mikeody : December 2nd 04 at 08:02 AM
Mark D. Zacharias

If it were the cd player at fault, the problem would have changed channels
when you changed the L-R orientation of the cable. Sounds like the CD input
of the receiver / amp is faulty. Probably a bad solder connection at the
input jack.

Mark Z.

"mikeody" wrote in message

Hi guys,
I am very much a newbie so please be patient !
My Technics player is apparently only playing on one channel. My
initial thought was a problem with one channel on the player so to
confirm this [or so I thought] I switched over the output jacks
expecting the problem to immediately swap speakers. It did not !
Speakers and the rest of the syatem are all OK as other inputs [eg
another CD player, tuner, etc] all work fine.
Help please.
Mike

--
mikeody

mikeody mikeody is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for that Mark.
What you said is exactly what I expected however I have now tried the CD player on 2 totally different systems and get the same result - sound from R speaker only irrespective of which way around the output jacks are from the CD player !!!!
Is it possible that there could be a problem with the CD player output in that somehow there is some sort of 'crossover' between the L and R channel ?
Certainly doesnt make any sense to me at all.
Thanks again.
Mike

Gareth Magennis

Mike,

you will have to get some sort of logical way of testing your system sorted
and have it clear in your head. It is not possible for the CD faulty side
to suddenly crossover to the other.

Look, you have one faulty cable or connector. Swap connections around and
when the fault has gone to the other side, step back and think about what
has just happened. It may seem perplexing but it's just pure logic.

Gareth.

Mark D. Zacharias Wrote:
If it were the cd player at fault, the problem would have changed
channels
when you changed the L-R orientation of the cable. Sounds like the CD
input
of the receiver / amp is faulty. Probably a bad solder connection at
the
input jack.

Mark Z.

"mikeody" wrote in message
...-

Hi guys,
I am very much a newbie so please be patient !
My Technics player is apparently only playing on one channel. My
initial thought was a problem with one channel on the player so to
confirm this [or so I thought] I switched over the output jacks
expecting the problem to immediately swap speakers. It did not !
Speakers and the rest of the syatem are all OK as other inputs [eg
another CD player, tuner, etc] all work fine.
Help please.
Mike

--
mikeody-

--
mikeody

Mark D. Zacharias

I'm starting to think both the output jacks on the Technics cd player are
bad, and one channel or the other punches through as a result of plugging /
unplugging cables. The solder connections of the player should be resoldered
for good measure, and if necessary the receiver as well. Sometimes the
connections will have an eyelet broken in an almost invisible manner which
only becomes apparent when soldered. For this reason a visual inspection may
not be definitive.

Mark Z.

Mark D. Zacharias Wrote:
If it were the cd player at fault, the problem would have changed
channels
when you changed the L-R orientation of the cable. Sounds like the CD
input
of the receiver / amp is faulty. Probably a bad solder connection at
the
input jack.

Mark Z.

...-