Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] therealroach@gmail.com is offline

Default Clarification of Terms: Glass Master, Duplication Master

Hi there,

Just a clarification needed. What is the different between a Glass
Master and a Duplication master? I previously thought the two terms had
some interchangeability but apparently not?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

Just a clarification needed. What is the different between a Glass
Master and a Duplication master? I previously thought the two terms had
some interchangeability but apparently not?

The glass master is a physical glass plate with an image on it that is
used to stamp CDs out.

The duplication master can be almost anything that includes the PQ subcode
information that is needed to make a glass master. Could be a 1630 tape,
an Exabyte tape with a DDP file on it, a PMCD, or these days even a regular
CD-R with a red book volume on it. You send it to the pressing plant and
they make the glass master on site in a clean room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Allen Corneau Allen Corneau is offline

The glass master is a physical glass plate with an image on it that is
used to stamp CDs out.

One more clarification: the glass master is actually used to make the
stampers, and those are used to press the CD's.

The duplication master can be almost anything that includes the PQ subcode
information that is needed to make a glass master. Could be a 1630 tape,
an Exabyte tape with a DDP file on it, a PMCD, or these days even a regular
CD-R with a red book volume on it. You send it to the pressing plant and
they make the glass master on site in a clean room.

All correct. We can also deliver DDP image on CD-ROM or DVD-R, or even
upload it to the plant's server via FTP!

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay-atldigi Jay-atldigi is offline

In article ,
Allen Corneau wrote:

We can also deliver DDP image on CD-ROM or DVD-R, or even
upload it to the plant's server via FTP!

DDPi, as Allen knows, is the the current term for what he describes
above. It's the best way to deliver these days. Better than CD-Audio,
better than 8mm tape with DDP, and better than an aging 1630.

While we're clarifying, what is usually referred to as mastering these
days is technically "pre-mastering" as we don't make the physical master
used in replication of production units. In the days of vinyl, the
mastering engineer actually would cut the metal master. Now we send the
DDPi and the plant cuts the glass with the LBR (Laser Beam Recorder),
and then the stampers.

Also under the heading of clarification of mastering terms: PMCD (Pre
Master CD) was a Sonic Solutions and Sony creation (now obsolete) where
the PQ info would be written to the CD master in a separate place from
the audio and TOC that red book players (standard CD player) access.
This allowed a CDR to be used as a master instead of 1630 (or briefly
PCM-9000 which was intended as its replacement). Now regular CD-audio
discs can be used as masters and the DCA (Doug Carson Associates)
equipment will extract the PQ info, and it need not be provided
separately. Still, some erroneously use the term "PMCD" to indicate any
kind of CDR master, though in actuality, PMCD refers to a particular
thing that is no longer in use.

--
Jay Frigoletto
Mastersuite
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] therealroach@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for clearing that up everyone,

An excellent source of information as always,

Mike Rocha