Spockie

Default why rca ground isolators just sound better than cleaning ground points

why rca ground isolators just sound better than cleaning ground points

i had my car jacked up, and i was undertheeth it

now as i was messing around with something somewhat near the oil filter
it was some thingie that has an electronical ground thingie on it and i was
unscrewing the two little bolt like screws in it

i was unscrewing it to clean the wires on it like so many of you recomend
to get rid of ground looping and engine sound and possible speaker mute
when the engine is on.

well anyways, once i unscrew those things and a SPLASH sound came out and
then some nice liquid came out

I say nice because it was like oil but it had that "new car" kindof smell

now as i am typing this and as i try to look up what kindof fluid it is
maybe it was oil but i don't know because it had that new car smell

well i got to thinking , why don't i just buy a rca ground isolator for
radio shack for 30 bucks

now you may be thinking that might just fix the symptom and not the problem

but then i got to thinkign, you see if i clean my ground wires all the
time with say brake cleaner and stuff, or if actual rain water gets on
the ground wires i am likely to get engine noise again

so i say i should just get the ground isolators from radio shack

oh btw, anyone have any clue on what feels like oil on the forearms but
has a "new car" like smell, please email me the info, i might need to
replace some of it
Spockie

aww okay, i think it was the art refrigerant line
Spockie

i think it was the air refrigerant line, but the thing is it was on the
bottom of the car not the top
MZ

oh btw, anyone have any clue on what feels like oil on the forearms but
has a "new car" like smell, please email me the info, i might need to
replace some of it

It's flostulator acid! Go to the ER!

eug k

Spockie wrote:

[...]

i was unscrewing it to clean the wires on it like so many of you recomend
to get rid of ground looping and engine sound and possible speaker mute
when the engine is on.

hrm, why not just run both + and - lines straight to the battery?

oh btw, anyone have any clue on what feels like oil on the forearms but
has a "new car" like smell, please email me the info, i might need to
replace some of it

what color is it?

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 10 May 2004 02:59:55 GMT, Spockie wrote:

i think it was the air refrigerant line, but the thing is it was on the
bottom of the car not the top

If it were refrigerant, it would have come out under pressure and
rapidly turned to a gas. There is some oil in the refrigerant lines,
but I think you would have noticed the loud hissing noise you would
have gotten if you had opened up one of the refrigerant lines.

What colour was the oil? Do you have a manual or automatic
transmission?

Scott

Scott Gardner

I don't like to use isolators - not because I think they're
necessarily bad, but just because they don't always work, and you
can't tell beforehand whether they'll solve your problem or not.
Choosing a grounding scheme wisely and cleaning the ground points
ALWAYS works, however.

I'm not sure what you were doing under your engine, but you don't have
to clean every single ground connection in your car, just the ones for
your charging system and your stereo.

If you want the most foolproof grounding method, ground everything in
the stereo system to the same point in the car. This includes the
head unit, the amplifiers, and any signal processors. Make sure you
pick a solid ground point, preferably inside the car where it will
stay clean, and then clean/upgrade the wiring between your alternator
and your battery, between your battery and your chassis, and between
the engine and the chassis. If you do this, every part of your stereo
will be grounded to the same point, and if that point has a clean path
to the negative terminal of your battery, you've eliminated the chance
of having ground loops.

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 10 May 2004 02:49:39 GMT, Spockie wrote:

[...]

Spockie

What colour was the oil? Do you have a manual or automatic
transmission?

auto trans

and it did make a hissing sound

it is oil and the hissiing sound and stuff scared everyone around me

my father came outside and ask if something caught on fire

it is clear oil

i will refill it i tried the air condition thingie and it did not feel cold

also i am going to get rca ground isolators for the headunit i am not sure
if i shoudl get some for the amp too ...
Spockie

i am kindof sure that the grounding is not the amp grounding but the
grounding of stuff around the engine like when i was messing with the wires
that ground the air refrigerant on the bottom and took that stuff off and
so forht

the whole sound system sounds different, i get differnet popping sounds and
as well as other noises, kindof interesting, but i think that just tells
me the main problem grounding is that, refrigerant grounding point

David Wood

well i got to thinking , why don't i just buy a rca ground isolator for
radio shack for 30 bucks

now you may be thinking that might just fix the symptom and not the problem

but then i got to thinkign, you see if i clean my ground wires all the
time with say brake cleaner and stuff, or if actual rain water gets on
the ground wires i am likely to get engine noise again

Basically you're saying you're going to use ground lifts to compensate
for wiring that may become corroded again.....BAD MOVE!

First of all, ground lifts can have an effect on sound quality.
Granted, there are times when they are the only way - but being too lazy
to ground a system properly is not a good reason.

Second, a car amp that has a bad ground do to corrosion caused by your
failure to keep the contact points clean and protected against water,
will be major starved for power. Not a good thing.

so i say i should just get the ground isolators from radio shack

Hmm...well I hate to say this, but ...... I say it's probably time you
take your car into a shop so they can install your stereo for you.
Eddie Runner

Default let all the OIL out when cleaning ground points

ha ha ha
I been doing this for 30 years and NEVER seen anyone nearly
that stoopid.....

Spockie wrote:

well anyways, once i unscrew those things and a SPLASH sound came out and
then some nice liquid came out

I say nice because it was like oil but it had that "new car" kindof smell

Spockie

i replaced the air refrigerant

i put a 12 guage wire to connect my old ground point that is in the front
near my driver seat and is the gorund point for the head unit , and some
alarm stuff

i connected that gorund point using a wire to the trunk ground point

now both my ground points are connected and this should make you all happy

i also installed two ground loop isolators, one near the head unit and one
near the amp

i just need to go to the store later and replace the amp ground wire
connection end.

it better work right
Eddie Runner

so are you saying you ran a wire from the oil pan drain bolt
to the refrigerant drain bolt (didnt know there was one) and
then grounded them both to the ground in the trunk..??

ha ha ha ha
Mark, I dont care how much you hate installers, this guy
needs one.... ha ha ha

Spockie wrote:

i replaced the air refrigerant

i put a 12 guage wire to connect my old ground point that is in the front
near my driver seat and is the gorund point for the head unit , and some
alarm stuff

i connected that gorund point using a wire to the trunk ground point

now both my ground points are connected and this should make you all happy

i also installed two ground loop isolators, one near the head unit and one
near the amp

i just need to go to the store later and replace the amp ground wire
connection end.

it better work right

Les

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
so are you saying you ran a wire from the oil pan drain bolt
to the refrigerant drain bolt (didnt know there was one) and
then grounded them both to the ground in the trunk..??

ha ha ha ha
Mark, I dont care how much you hate installers, this guy
needs one.... ha ha ha

That's true, I think even CC would have more of a clue than this guy. So
Eddie, why do you think he is so focused on the grounds everywhere and
thinking it's going to solve his problem? Usually you can figure out the
flawed logic but this guy is puzzling.

Les

Spockie wrote:

i replaced the air refrigerant

i put a 12 guage wire to connect my old ground point that is in the

front
near my driver seat and is the gorund point for the head unit , and some
alarm stuff

i connected that gorund point using a wire to the trunk ground point

now both my ground points are connected and this should make you all

happy

i also installed two ground loop isolators, one near the head unit and

one
near the amp

i just need to go to the store later and replace the amp ground wire
connection end.

it better work right

Eddie Runner

he aint hard to figgure out....!!!
I think he is a troll... No one could be that stupid....

And every post he seems to be taking someone very literally
as if he is trying to blame his mistakes on whoever gave him
vague advice....

Its prolly one of the regulars, Liz or Mark Z or someone with
thier email address changed to look like a dumb moron, meybe
even you!...
Im sure its just a gag, no one could be stupid enough to try to
run a ground wire under the engine to the oil bolt.... ha ha ha..

not pussling at all.... ;-)

Eddie

Les wrote:

That's true, I think even CC would have more of a clue than this guy. So
Eddie, why do you think he is so focused on the grounds everywhere and
thinking it's going to solve his problem? Usually you can figure out the
flawed logic but this guy is puzzling.

Les

Spockie

okay

i think if i turn on the engine the sound sysetm sounds fine but when i
move forward or back in the car the front speakers go mute

i connected the front driver side and the rear/amp/trunk ground point with
a 12 guage but still no go

also ground loop isolators ain't helping

i am going to get an ohm reader soon maybe this weekend to check the ohm
level

then get backl to you guys

the sound system sounds soooo ****ing wonderful when all speakers work

but it sound like **** otherwise

i also tried turning volume on the amp all the way low for the rear all the
way high for the front , the rears still only ones that have sound

and the fronts just pop and have more engine sound more
thelizman

Scott Johnson wrote:
antifreeze maybe?

Scott....have you ever serviced your engine? Antifreeze isn't oily.

Sounds like DOT3 brake fluid to me.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
MZ

Scott....have you ever serviced your engine? Antifreeze isn't oily.

If it is, you've got bigger problems to deal with than ground wires...

Spockie

thelizman wrote in news:10a5btahctf0s52
@corp.supernews.com:

Scott Johnson wrote:
antifreeze maybe?

Scott....have you ever serviced your engine? Antifreeze isn't oily.

Sounds like DOT3 brake fluid to me.

yep dude

i already said that it was air conditioning refrigerant

Scott Johnson

"thelizman" wrote in message
Scott Johnson wrote:
antifreeze maybe?

Scott....have you ever serviced your engine? Antifreeze isn't oily.

Sounds like DOT3 brake fluid to me.

\

Yes, i have. some brands of antifreeze have a slick texture that could be
mistaken for oily.

Scott Gardner

I wouldn't be surprised if someone described antifreeze as "oily".
It's certainly "slippery", but you're right, it's not thick enough to
really feel "oily". I don't really think brake fluid feels "oily",
either though.

Anyway, from his later post where he described the hissing noise
when he opened up the connection, and the fact that his A/C stopped
working afterwards, what he probably got on his arm was oil from the
cooling system.

"The Other Scott" Gardner