Rob Adelman

Default Rod Stewart Takes Swipe at McCartney, Sting, Elton

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=3&u=/nm/20031028/music_nm/people_stewart_dc

Wow. Stewart has enough money, he really ought to buy a clue..

Rob Adelman

JWelsh3374 wrote:

These are hardly 'hard' slams at any of these people. My guess is Rodney was
having a bit of fun wif da press!

Have you seen Rod's latest infomercial? Singing the "classics"? he is
looking pretty pathetic if you ask me. Of course y.m.m.v.

JWelsh3374

Have you seen Rod's latest infomercial? Singing the "classics"? he is
looking pretty pathetic if you ask me. Of course y.m.m.v.

The man did Gasoline Alley and Every Picture Tells a Story and the Faces
records. He is closing in on 60.

Let him sing/say/do whatever he wants. He has earned it.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
EggHd

Gasoline Alley

Love it.

---------------------------------------
JWelsh3374

Gasoline Alley

Love it.

Yessir! The sh*t!!!!!!

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

Don Cooper

EggHd wrote:

Gasoline Alley

Love it.

Would that earn a "Woof!"?

Don
Mark

Totally disagree. Have a little pride, Rod, don't become a freakin' novelty
act. Oh, it's too late.

Oh, and while I'm at it, get a new haircut too, Rod. It's not 1971 anymore.

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
The man did Gasoline Alley and Every Picture Tells a Story and the Faces
records. He is closing in on 60.

Let him sing/say/do whatever he wants. He has earned it.

JWelsh3374

Totally disagree. Have a little pride, Rod, don't become a freakin' novelty
act. Oh, it's too late.

Oh, and while I'm at it, get a new haircut too, Rod. It's not 1971 anymore.

Hmmm. His contributions to music far outweigh his apparently dated hairstyle.

Exactly how long should an artist remain hip and important, in yer eyes?

I say after three or four of his early examples he can do whatever the f*ck he
wants.

My too sense....

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Digidog27

Totally disagree. Have a little pride, Rod, don't become a freakin' novelty
act. Oh, it's too late. BRBR

i've been a rod for for a while , liking his voice moreso than all the
songs(but there were some great ones....)

seems everyone keeps knocking his new "direction".
Not that, as a fan i like him singing the "classics" as he SUCKS compared to
say, sinatra.

Seems those folks don't know that his first "classics" album sold something
like 8 MILLION copies.
(in a world of downloads.....)
And i'm not sure if it was, or this is, on a major label, so maybe he banks
most of it by direct marketing it.

I'm not sure any of us can remember the last time rod had an album of
"originals" sell that much.
Not that i'm a fan of the new "direction", but it seems to be working for him,
careerwise, and i'd guess those 8 million people don't consider it a novelty
act........

besides that, i've sen him a couple of times over the years(but not in the last
5), and the live act was all but a glorified motown review anyways. Fun, but
not my thing either, rather hear the hits.....
Rob Adelman

Digidog27 wrote:

I'm not sure any of us can remember the last time rod had an album of
"originals" sell that much.
Not that i'm a fan of the new "direction", but it seems to be working for him,
careerwise, and i'd guess those 8 million people don't consider it a novelty
act........

Didn't Slim Whitman do real well too? I dunno, I saw Rod on that
infomercial and felt a bit embarrased for him. Of course there is
nothing embarrasing about selling 8 million records either. So there you
have it, sort of...

Tommy B

Not that i'm a fan of the new "direction", but it seems to be working
for him, careerwise, and i'd guess those 8 million people don't consider it
a novelty act........

I think it's more Clive's direction. The album was cut at Clinton in NYC. My
buddy sang all the scratch vocals live with the band. Rod wasn't even there.
At least the guys he slagged do there own stuff, then again it's hard to
ague with success.
Tom

Gary

Rob Adelman wrote in message news:bnm0c1$12m128

Have you seen Rod's latest infomercial? Singing the "classics"? he is
looking pretty pathetic if you ask me. Of course y.m.m.v.

He was in pretty bad shape during his appearance on South Park a year
or three back. "Pooped 'em".

Heh.
Don Cooper

Gary wrote:

He was in pretty bad shape during his appearance on South Park a year
or three back. "Pooped 'em".

They must really love Rod and Redford. And I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Oh, and don't forget Streisand.

Don
reddred

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
Totally disagree. Have a little pride, Rod, don't become a freakin'

novelty
act. Oh, it's too late.

Oh, and while I'm at it, get a new haircut too, Rod. It's not 1971

anymore.

Hmmm. His contributions to music far outweigh his apparently dated

hairstyle.

Exactly how long should an artist remain hip and important, in yer eyes?

I say after three or four of his early examples he can do whatever the

f*ck he
wants.

My too sense....

If you do something kinda neat then do something that is so bad it defies
words, doesn't the bad kind of outweigh the good? Just a little?

If ya want ma body... lemme knowwwwww

jb

Rob Adelman

reddred wrote:

If ya want ma body... lemme knowwwwww

In the current light, even THAT looks good. eeeek

Mark

It's not about "hip'... it's about music.

I'd very much like it if Rod were to try and continue to be a groundbreaking
vocalist like he was a LOOOOOONG time ago.

I'd prefer that he NOT become this generation's Wayne Newton. Again, too
late, I guess.

The fact that he was once GOOD makes it far worse! Take Huey Lewis who has
taken a similar track. IMO, he was not on Stewart's level, to state the
obvious, yet they both have chosen to go the nostalgia route. Huey Lewis
can keep doing the nostalgia thing.

Rod? I expect more from him for some reason.

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message Hmmm. His
contributions to music far outweigh his apparently dated hairstyle.

Exactly how long should an artist remain hip and important, in yer eyes?

I say after three or four of his early examples he can do whatever the

f*ck he
wants.

My too sense....

JWelsh3374

It's not about "hip'... it's about music. I'd very much like it if Rod were
to try and continue to be a groundbreaking
vocalist like he was a LOOOOOONG time ago.

Forgive me...but exactly how f*cking long are these legends supposed to be
brilliant? How many great records is acceptable to you? 3-5? 10? 500?

How many years, exactly, are Rod Stewart, McCartney, Dylan...pick
someone....exactly what are your expectations for these artists to remain at
their top level?

I would remove both testicles to have ONE record of their caliber. ONE.

How long are YOU going to be at your peak? Or me? Or anyone?

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Rob Adelman

JWelsh3374 wrote:

I would remove both testicles to have ONE record of their caliber. ONE.

Now wait a minute. THAT is a bit extreme

reddred

reddred wrote:

If ya want ma body... lemme knowwwwww

In the current light, even THAT looks good. eeeek

Yeah, I watched the Clear Channel, er, radio music awards last night.... you
may have a point.

jb

Don Cooper

Rob Adelman wrote:

I would remove both testicles to have ONE record of their caliber. ONE.

Now wait a minute. THAT is a bit extreme

How did we get on the subject of Journey? : )

Don
ScotFraser

Forgive me...but exactly how f*cking long are these legends supposed to be
brilliant?

I'd say Johnny Cash stayed brilliant his whole career.

Scott Fraser
MikeK

JWelsh3374 wrote:

I would remove both testicles to have ONE record of their caliber. ONE.

Now wait a minute. THAT is a bit extreme

He's trying to improve his range...

MikeK

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message

How long are YOU going to be at your peak? Or me? Or anyone?

Artists don't "peak." They have phases, but great creative people keep
creating good, or at least INTERESTING stuff, until they stop, usually
because of death. Let's also not confuse creative people with performers.
Does/did Rod write his own stuff, or record other folks'? (I know a lot even
in the past was standards) Or did he just do a good job interpreting other
peoples' material? (nothing wrong in that)

JWelsh3374

Artists don't "peak." They have phases, but great creative people keep
creating good, or at least INTERESTING stuff, until they stop, usually
because of death.

OK. Name one.

Let's also not confuse creative people with performers.
Does/did Rod write his own stuff, or record other folks'? (I know a lot even
in the past was standards) Or did he just do a good job interpreting other
peoples' material? (nothing wrong in that)

Actually wrote or cowrote alot of his early stuff.

I'm not trying to defend Rod only pointing out that our expectations of these
people are too high.

My too sense...

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

JWelsh3374

OK. Name one.

Leon Russell.

g Yer funny. Name another one.

C'mon....seriously. You think he has done ANYTHING close to his stellar 70's
stuff? Really? Okee dokee.

You say tomato....

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Don Cooper

JWelsh3374 wrote:

Artists don't "peak." They have phases, but great creative people keep
creating good, or at least INTERESTING stuff, until they stop, usually
because of death.

OK. Name one.

I'll name two. John Hall. Robert Fripp. (I'm very biased.)

Don
dt king

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
OK. Name one.

Leon Russell.

g Yer funny. Name another one.

C'mon....seriously. You think he has done ANYTHING close to his stellar

70's
stuff? Really? Okee dokee.

You say tomato....

As long as we're throwing tomahtos, I might suppose that producing
something that everybody likes isn't necessarily peaking.

I'm pretty sure that while Bobby McFerrin would rather not do another
"Don't Worry", he probably hasn't peaked.

dtk

Tom Hartman

Rod's contributions to music???

All I remember is him stealing "Tonight's the Night" ....the
chorus....from The Everly Brothers.

This guy is talking about Paul McCartney???

Rod couldn't carry Paul's shoes.
Rob Adelman

Tom Hartman wrote:
Rod's contributions to music???

All I remember is him stealing "Tonight's the Night" ....the
chorus....from The Everly Brothers.

This guy is talking about Paul McCartney???

Rod couldn't carry Paul's shoes.

Do you think maybe the Beatles quit when they did because they wanted to
quit on top?

Neil Henderson

Artists don't "peak." They have phases, but great creative people keep
creating good, or at least INTERESTING stuff, until they stop, usually
because of death.

OK. Name one.

Michael Hedges.

That Toy Matinee/Tuesday Night Music Club/Killed-Himself-because-Cheryl
Crow-broke-up-with-him guy... I forget his name, but you know who I'm talkin'
'bout.

OK, so that's two, not one... sorry, I like to cover my a#$

NeilH
Don Cooper

Neil Henderson wrote:

That Toy Matinee/Tuesday Night Music Club/Killed-Himself-because-Cheryl
Crow-broke-up-with-him guy... I forget his name, but you know who I'm talkin'
'bout.

Kevin Gilbert. Absolute perfection.

Don
Rick Powell

(Mike) wrote in message . com...

Gasoline Alley is one great album.

and...

Truth. Rod's raspy ramblings and Jeff's rubbery riffs.

RP

Tracy Wintermute

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:50:26 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

I'd prefer that he NOT become this generation's Wayne Newton.

Please define "this" generation.

Now, compare and contrast the ages of Mr. Stewart and Mr. Newton.

I think I know what you're trying to say, but some clarification would
be helpful.

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Roger W. Norman

Now seriously, wasn't the global warming thread more fun than this type of
research, Rob? g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../20031028/musi
c_nm/people_stewart_dc

Wow. Stewart has enough money, he really ought to buy a clue..

Tom Hartman

Tom Hartman wrote:
Rod's contributions to music???

All I remember is him stealing "Tonight's the Night" ....the
chorus....from The Everly Brothers.

This guy is talking about Paul McCartney???

Rod couldn't carry Paul's shoes.

Do you think maybe the Beatles quit when they did because they wanted to
quit on top?

The Beatles quit because they wanted to. They would have been on top
as long as they gave a darn.....that's how good they were.
JWelsh3374

Charlie Parker
Bill Evans
Max Roach