Lionel

Default About the futur of the wine.

Gentlemen,
You are hardly discussing about audio since years ans years.
Some of you spend incredible amount of time and money to listen, test,
buy audio devices...
Guys like Mr. Krueger sometime tell you that you could have the same
pleasure with 100 times less money, they say that most of "your" audio
is nothing but phantasm for rich people. You cannot accept such simplist
explanations and I understand that.
Audio is a very, very young hobby maximum 70 - 60 years old and it has
already all the gallery of "usual hobbyist characters".
I understand and I like that.
So now you can understand my disappointed surprise when I read the
following coming from gentlemen like you. I sincerely think that you are
the Krooborgs of the wine.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:14:05 +0200, Lionel
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:01:03 +0100, Langis wrote:

George M. Middius wrote:

Screwcaps are the future of fine wine.

If anybody thinks caps are cheap, note that corks are cheaper!

However, the supply of corks is not assured. This is the main reason
for the gradual switchover to screwcaps and composite corks, although
the Germans are probably employing their typical adherance to logic
and science.

dave weil

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:48:23 +0200, Lionel
wrote:

Gentlemen,
You are hardly discussing about audio since years ans years.
Some of you spend incredible amount of time and money to listen, test,
buy audio devices...
Guys like Mr. Krueger sometime tell you that you could have the same
pleasure with 100 times less money, they say that most of "your" audio
is nothing but phantasm for rich people. You cannot accept such simplist
explanations and I understand that.
Audio is a very, very young hobby maximum 70 - 60 years old and it has
already all the gallery of "usual hobbyist characters".
I understand and I like that.
So now you can understand my disappointed surprise when I read the
following coming from gentlemen like you. I sincerely think that you are
the Krooborgs of the wine.

You know, just because you're French doesn't mean that we can assume
that you know **** about wine.

After all, the French have more than their share of **** wine. Plus,
they have their share of con men as well (as was proven fairly
recently when . Fortunately, the French government usually takes
pretty swift action, as François and Philippe Marion found out not too
long ago).

At least your vintners found out that a preponderance of their
"corked" wines didn't actually have anything to do with the cork, but
with the polychloroanisoles used in preserving the barrels. We don't
really have that problem here in the states.

George M. Middius wrote:

Screwcaps are the future of fine wine.

If anybody thinks caps are cheap, note that corks are cheaper!

However, the supply of corks is not assured. This is the main reason
for the gradual switchover to screwcaps and composite corks, although
the Germans are probably employing their typical adherance to logic
and science.

dave weil

George M. Middius wrote:

Screwcaps are the future of fine wine.

If anybody thinks caps are cheap, note that corks are cheaper!

However, the supply of corks is not assured. This is the main reason
for the gradual switchover to screwcaps and composite corks, although
the Germans are probably employing their typical adherance to logic
and science.

You know what we use to say about the culture here ?
It is like the jam...
Save your erudition for your customers/covers...
Just want to lead your attention that you are playing here above the
real "Krooborg" role. This was obviously the object of the initial
thread. )

You aren't too bright, are you?

But just wait until you have a few more cases like that of Jean-Marie
Guffens and you'll see the French turning to synthetic corks just like
they did stainless steel fermentation vats. They didn't like *those*
either, but quite a few vintners are using them as well.

Note that noting that someone is doing something isn't akin to
advocating it. I have a sentimental view of real corks as well. But it
doesn't bother me to open a screwtop either, or remove a synthetic
cork. The main thing that matters is the wine itself.

In that respect, wine is a lot like audio for me, unlike guys like
Arnold, who care more about the hardware.
Lionel

Marc Phillips wrote:

dave said:

You know, just because you're French doesn't mean that we can assume
that you know **** about wine.

After all, the French have more than their share of **** wine. Plus,
they have their share of con men as well (as was proven fairly
recently when . Fortunately, the French government usually takes
pretty swift action, as François and Philippe Marion found out not too
long ago).

At least your vintners found out that a preponderance of their
"corked" wines didn't actually have anything to do with the cork, but
with the polychloroanisoles used in preserving the barrels. We don't
really have that problem here in the states.

The French have been in denial about wine for the last thirty years, when the
world's best started coming out of Napa and Sonoma and Mendocino. Plus, with
their recent weather mishaps, we probably should steer clear of their stuff for
the next three or four years. Tough break.

Boon

;-)

Lionel

dave weil wrote:

The main thing that matters is the wine itself.

In that respect, wine is a lot like audio for me, unlike guys like
Arnold, who care more about the hardware.

I prefer the above modesty.
We could spend long time to discuss about grapes, caves, cork, and
finally wine. My english is not good enough to be sure to transmit you
what I exactly think, in one word it would be vain.
I've already spent a lot of time in vineyard, caves...
I have understood that you are living in Nashville, right ?
Your first conversation was very indecent for me, a little bit like if I
was trying to teach you about clubs, rock'n'roll and country music !
Do you see what I mean ?

dave weil

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:12:41 +0200, Lionel
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

The main thing that matters is the wine itself.

In that respect, wine is a lot like audio for me, unlike guys like
Arnold, who care more about the hardware.

I prefer the above modesty.
We could spend long time to discuss about grapes, caves, cork, and
finally wine. My english is not good enough to be sure to transmit you
what I exactly think, in one word it would be vain.
I've already spent a lot of time in vineyard, caves...
I have understood that you are living in Nashville, right ?

I have also lived in the Mosel region.

shrug

Your first conversation was very indecent for me, a little bit like if I
was trying to teach you about clubs, rock'n'roll and country music !
Do you see what I mean ?

I'm always willing to learn about music. I don't know everything, you
know. That doesn't mean that I won't argue about it though.
Lionel

wrote:

dave weil wrote:

The main thing that matters is the wine itself.

In that respect, wine is a lot like audio for me, unlike guys like
Arnold, who care more about the hardware.

I prefer the above modesty.
We could spend long time to discuss about grapes, caves, cork, and
finally wine. My english is not good enough to be sure to transmit you
what I exactly think, in one word it would be vain.
I've already spent a lot of time in vineyard, caves...
I have understood that you are living in Nashville, right ?

I have also lived in the Mosel region.

I was just on the other side of Rhin river : Gueberschwihr...

shrug

?

Your first conversation was very indecent for me, a little bit like if I
was trying to teach you about clubs, rock'n'roll and country music !
Do you see what I mean ?

I'm always willing to learn about music. I don't know everything, you
know. That doesn't mean that I won't argue about it though.

Remember me Krueger statements !

Ouille