Posted to rec.audio.pro
Orlando Enrique Fiol Orlando Enrique Fiol is offline

Default quiet USB audio interface

Hello all. I'm a totally blind musician and academic needing help replacing my
E-MU 0202 USB audio interface. I mainly like it because it's extremely quiet
and provides a good signal to noise ratio. However, using the only beta drivers
that somewhat work with Windows 10, it randomly craps out whenever audio is not
being played through it. At those times, power cycling the unit or unplugging
the USB connector revives it. However, I'm frustrated with having to
reinitialize it constantly, since I depend on my assigned Windows sound scheme
for relevant event information. Can anyone recommend a good quality USB
interface with all its physical controls on the unit itself and requiring no
sound card installation into the PC?
This is strictly for everyday Windows use; for pro tracking, I plan to purchase
something comparable to the Apollo, with native DSP and all those vintage
compressors. That of course will be routed through dedicated monitors and won't
be used for Windows sounds.
Thanks,

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Email:
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24/09/2017 21:18, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
Hello all. I'm a totally blind musician and academic needing help replacing my
E-MU 0202 USB audio interface.

Snip

Can anyone recommend a good quality USB
interface with all its physical controls on the unit itself and requiring no
sound card installation into the PC?

I have had some success with most items using Windows Vista compatible
items using windows Vista or Windows 7 drivers for either 32 or 64 bit
systems, depending on what you have. On occasion, some XP drivers will
work, if they are the right number of bits.

You need to follow the instructions on this page, and it will disable
the secure boot feature of Windows 10, which is something you may not
want to do if you are using bitlocker.

https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how...igned-drivers/

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 13:18:51 UTC-7, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good quality USB
interface with all its physical controls on the unit itself and requiring no
sound card installation into the PC?
This is strictly for everyday Windows use; for pro tracking, I plan to purchase
something comparable to the Apollo, with native DSP and all those vintage
compressors. That of course will be routed through dedicated monitors and won't
be used for Windows sounds.

The only way you'll find an interface comparable to the Apollo with all the built-in processors will be one with almost everything controlled via a computer interface. If you'll settle with a reliable and quiet USB audio interface that has all of its controls in hardware, take a look at the Sound Devices USBPre2. It even has switches for phantom power.

Sound Devices has introduced a new line of small mixer/preamp/interfaces and may be phasing out the USBPre2, so there may be some bargains available. A friend of mine who's very picky about quiet bought one through eBay for a little over $200 and he's very happy with its sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:18:45 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good quality USB
interface with all its physical controls on the unit itself and requiring no
sound card installation into the PC?

A friend of mine has the Behringer U-Phoria 2 channel audio inferface
(UMC204HD), and is very happy with it. There's also a 4 channel
version. Both have switchable phantom power. All controls are on the
unit, but I don't know if he installed anything on Windows, and
cannot ask him for some time.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtees4 jtees4 is offline

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 08:10:36 +0200 (CES), "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 16:18:45 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good quality USB
interface with all its physical controls on the unit itself and requiring no
sound card installation into the PC?

A friend of mine has the Behringer U-Phoria 2 channel audio inferface
(UMC204HD), and is very happy with it. There's also a 4 channel
version. Both have switchable phantom power. All controls are on the
unit, but I don't know if he installed anything on Windows, and
cannot ask him for some time.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

I recently bought said Uphoria 2. It came partially broken, only one
input worked, but that's all i needed....so i kept it. It works fairly
well, the only thing I notice is that there is a bit more noise added
as I turn up the gain than compared to the M-Box Mini 2 that I
previously had. Basically, I have bought 5 or 6 Behringer items over
the years...they all had problems, except for two microphones that I
use all the time.