Mr.T

Default Should I Re-cone a JBL L-65 Woofer ??

"GregS" wrote in message
Speaker are incrementally better today. Your speakers
were never designed to handle digital media.

Of course they were, they just didn't know it (or advertise it) at the time.

In addition
the material sciences involved in speaker building has
greatly benefitted from computerization which wasn't
available in the 70's. Today we can build better
mouse traps but they often lack the aesthetics of the
Jubal, for example.

Exactly, or cost a lot more in todays dollars.

Digital media? I remember digital ready! But its hard to find woofers with

square
wire.

Those JBL woofers DO have square wire, or flat ribbon wound on edge to be
more accurate.
Nothing to do with digital of course.

The jubal played very loud. I'm sure they can handle "digital" media.

Exactly.

They were a bit bright, I thought at the time, so I didn't spend the $800
or so to buy a set. I was really impressed by the look and advertising

sheet,
but not the sound.

You didn't realise there was a treble control on the back? :-)

Much would depend on your intended application? IMO
$450 might be better spent on new (modern) drivers and
crossovers, there are many source vendors.

Yes, and most of them aren't any better.
I'd fix the JBL's.

MrT.

Powell

"Mr.T" wrote

Much would depend on your intended application? IMO
$450 might be better spent on new (modern) drivers and
crossovers, there are many source vendors.

Yes, and most of them aren't any better.

Quack,quack,quack...

GregS

In article , "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
[...]

I or the salesman turned them to minimum after I first heard them. Still was bright to me

I got some used JBL speakers a couple years ago. Cheaper model, but
something not to bad either. Well I had to do a few things. Tightnen
up some screws, solder some faulty crimped leads. The titianium tweeter
and the speaker in general had 1 or 2 dB too much treble above 10 kHz, so I
tamed them down by modifying the crossover. Sounded much better.
Perhaps JBL just felt that they needed to prove, having a titianium tweeter, that the treble
was super good!

greg