Default In Case you Missed It

Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Bill Riel

In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill
Robert Morein

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from criticism.

The conclusions, as is typically is the case, are presented by a person with
a flair for writing, but without the analytic ability of a true scientist.

IOW, it's bull****.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if
it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from
criticism.

The conclusions, as is typically is the case, are presented by a person
with
a flair for writing, but without the analytic ability of a true scientist.

IOW, it's bull****.

IOW it's right in line with all other ABX research and 100% correct.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate

relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if
it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from
criticism.

The conclusions, as is typically is the case, are presented by a person
with
a flair for writing, but without the analytic ability of a true

scientist.

IOW, it's bull****.

Expelling rank air from its bladder, the mckelviphibian vocalized:

IOW gruuuntt it's right urrrghh in line with greeeek all other gruuunt ABX

research urrrgh and greeeek 100% gruuunnt correct.

According to creationists, the mckelviphibian and the housefly were put on
earth for a reason. However, mimicry of higher life forms is merely
incidental to the purpose of the mckelviphibian as a coprophage.

Bill Riel wrote:
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

The "in case you missed it" is a 1987 Brad Meyer's
account about a few loopholes that he said should deceive listeners to
falsely differentiate audio components from each other when in fact no
differences were present.
It is now 2005. Where are the published reports of identification of
components when ABXing? Falsely or correctly. NYOB is obviously
searching the old issues of "Stereo Review". He will not find any
there. Neither correct nor false by Brad Meyer's criteria, ABX makes
it all sound the same. Even Brad Meyer's laboriously researched false
clues can not withstand the brain-deafening "test".
When will simple minds grasp that reproduction of complex musical
signals is beyond the reach of their primitive "testing" tools?
Ludovic Mirabel

Steven Sullivan

Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from criticism.

The conclusions, as is typically is the case, are presented by a person with
a flair for writing, but without the analytic ability of a true scientist.

IOW, it's bull****.

You have no idea who E. Brad Meyer is, do you?

--

-S
Robert Morein

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate

relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if

it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from

criticism.

The conclusions, as is typically is the case, are presented by a person

with
a flair for writing, but without the analytic ability of a true

scientist.

IOW, it's bull****.

You have no idea who E. Brad Meyer is, do you?

Incorrect.

Robert Morein

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Riel wrote:
In article et,
says...
[...]

Ludovic, I don't know. These idiots have obviously never had an Acoustat
TNT-200 a Hafler XL-600, a Parasound HCA-2200, and an Odyessey in their
hands. With different circuit topologies, they sound markedly different, yet
none of these amplifiers have ever been labeled as "improperly operating",
or "defective", by anybody.

These people, and amphibians, love to play pretend, with their pretentious
put-ons of pseudoscience and authority. The idiocy was apparently started by
one Arny Krueger, who, righteously indignant at the fakery that infects the
high end, overreacted by slaughtering the truth in the manner of the French
Terror. These people spew pure poison, and to anyone who is reading, I say:

The choices of hifi componentry are not simple. A complex interplay of
amplifier, speakers, and signal source determine the pleasure of end result.
Trust your ears and your gut. Be not deceived by appearance, price, or false
prophets of either simplicity or complexity. And if you see a
mckelviphibian, hit it with your shoe, pick it up with a paper towel, and
flush it down the toilet.

Bret Ludwig

Robert Morein wrote:

snip

Ludovic, I don't know. These idiots have obviously never had an Acoustat
TNT-200 a Hafler XL-600, a Parasound HCA-2200, and an Odyessey in their
hands. With different circuit topologies, they sound markedly different, yet
none of these amplifiers have ever been labeled as "improperly operating",
or "defective", by anybody.

The differences between stock Haflers and ones properly modified with
reinforced power supplies, internal shielding and bypassing, and other
relatively inexpensive mods are noticeable to all but the most casual,
or deaf, listeners, and the modified ones "sound better" in the opinion
and judgment of _every_ listener, as far as I know, experiencing the
comparison. Based on this example of unanimity, in the perceptions of
listeners, despite the relatively small change in measured performance,
I think one may reasonably conclude amplifiers do sound somewhat
different, and some sound better than others, at least in the
perception of an overwhelming majority.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

I notice you generate this drek every time you get caught with the truth.

The comparisons in the article are right in line with present day ABX
comparisons.
Note the comments on applying EQ to an anp that is less than flat and how it
then becomes indistinguishable from the amp that has flat FR.

Your ridiculous posturing and overall nastiness, doesn't change the fact
that your crap about relays is more denial.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Riel wrote:
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

The "in case you missed it" is a 1987 Brad Meyer's
account about a few loopholes that he said should deceive listeners to
falsely differentiate audio components from each other when in fact no
differences were present.
It is now 2005. Where are the published reports of identification of
components when ABXing? Falsely or correctly. NYOB is obviously
searching the old issues of "Stereo Review".

Not at all, it was posted on RAHE, where I can only assume you've been
banned, due to you having your head handed to you so many times and you not
taking it all that well.

He will not find any
there. Neither correct nor false by Brad Meyer's criteria, ABX makes
it all sound the same. Even Brad Meyer's laboriously researched false
clues can not withstand the brain-deafening "test".
When will simple minds grasp that reproduction of complex musical
signals is beyond the reach of their primitive "testing" tools?
Ludovic Mirabel

When will simple minds realize that sighted listening for subtle differences
is worthless?

When will simple minds understand that once the responses of 2 devices is
close enough, they sound identical?

When will simple minds understand that despite their protestations, ABX and
other double blind protocols are the standard way serious researchers look
for differences?

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Riel wrote:
In article et,
says...
[...]

You'd be wrong, but that's typical.

With different circuit topologies, they sound markedly different, yet
none of these amplifiers have ever been labeled as "improperly operating",
or "defective", by anybody.

Sound differnt? IN what DBT did you determine this?

These people, and amphibians, love to play pretend, with their pretentious
put-ons of pseudoscience and authority.

That's so cute, you can't really write words like "scientific fact," so you
pretend nothing is known about the way people hear or the fact that amps
that measure close enough to each other sound identical.

The idiocy was apparently started by
one Arny Krueger, who, righteously indignant at the fakery that infects
the
high end, overreacted by slaughtering the truth in the manner of the
French
Terror. These people spew pure poison, and to anyone who is reading, I
say:

Complete bull**** Robert, and you know it. The ABX methodology, that Arny
developed for audio comparisons was to help find the differences, that he as
a then true beleiver in such things expected to find.

The choices of hifi componentry are not simple. A complex interplay of
amplifier, speakers, and signal source determine the pleasure of end
result.

What horse****. You get an amp that drive your speakers and a good CD
player, fi you value accuracy, and a turntable if you don't, and a pair of
speakers that you like. There's never been any evidence of system synergy
and you know that as well.

Trust your ears and your gut. Be not deceived by appearance, price, or
false
prophets of either simplicity or complexity. And if you see a
mckelviphibian, hit it with your shoe, pick it up with a paper towel, and
flush it down the toilet.

Snore.

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:

snip

[...]

If the comparisons weren't done blind then you know they are worthless.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

The "in case you missed it" is a 1987 Brad Meyer's
account about a few loopholes that he said should deceive listeners to
falsely differentiate audio components from each other when in fact no
differences were present.
It is now 2005. Where are the published reports of identification of
components when ABXing? Falsely or correctly. NYOB is obviously
searching the old issues of "Stereo Review".

Not at all, it was posted on RAHE, where I can only assume you've been
banned, due to you having your head handed to you so many times and you
not taking it all that well.

Why are you referring to Arny? What does he have to do with this?

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

I notice you gruuunt generate this urrrghhh drek every greeeek time you

get caught with the truth.

The mckelviphibian's powers of mimicry frequently attract the attention of
mammals. With their far greater intelligence, the mckelviphibian is easy
prey. When cornered in sandy soil, the mckelviphibian assumes a posture
referred to by amphibiologists as "ass up head down". With the head buried
in soft sand, the predator is supposed to be intimidated by the size of the
ass. This gave rise to a popular expression that is incorrectly attributed
to ostriches.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:

snip

[...]

If the comparisons weren't done by an ass then you know they are

worthless.

If you eat with your other end, you might taste something.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
ink.net...
[snip]
people spew pure poison, and to anyone who is reading, I

Complete truth Robert, and you know it. The ABX methodology, that Arny
developed for audio comparisons was to help find the differences, that he

as
a then true beleiver

Incorrect spelling: "beleiver".
Rest of post: garbage. Grade: F.

Robert Morein

In fact, in some caves, there exist whole communities of creatures that have
no sight. Blind mckelviphibians, devoid of all pigmentation, choke down
fistfuls of bugs while crooning mornfully, echoing off endless caverns of
limestone.

As part of our acclaimed PBS documentary, "McKelviphibian; Creature from the
Black Lagoon", we took sensitive sound recording equipment into one of these
caves. Listen now, for a voice that sounds almost human:

When will mckelviphibians understand that despite their protestations, ABX

and
other double blind protocols are the standard way serious amphibians look
for differences in mating calls?

Sander deWaal

"Robert Morein" said:

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from criticism.

Dunno about Arny's soldering skills, but the relays in my preamp
(gold-plated gasfilled OMRON types) sure as hell don't add or subtract
anything in the signal.

Now, if one's to ABX gear with a 4066, that's another matter :-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

Thank you for admitting that you were wrong, again.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:

snip

[...]

Thank you for admitting that you must commit forgery when cornered by the
truth.
The truth being you are a clueless dickhead.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...
[snip]
people spew pure poison, and to anyone who is reading, I

Complete truth Robert, and you know it. The ABX methodology, that Arny
developed for audio comparisons was to help find the differences, that he

as
a then true beleiver

Incorrect spelling: "beleiver".
Rest of post: garbage. Grade: F.

IOW, I got it right again, and you don't know what the **** you're talking
about, again.

Steven Sullivan

Robert Morein wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

I don't believe you.

--

-S
Steven Sullivan

Bill Riel wrote:
In article et,
says...
Worthwhile reading, if you care anything about audio.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...rInterface.pdf

Hey, good link - thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before.

--
Bill

The "in case you missed it" is a 1987 Brad Meyer's
account about a few loopholes that he said should deceive listeners to
falsely differentiate audio components from each other when in fact no
differences were present.

First of all, it's a 1991 article. It's called

"The Amp/Speaker Interface
Are your speakers turning your amplifier into a tone control?"

It describes conditions under which two amps can sound different in
a controlled listening comparison.

The Meyer article you are misremembering is 'Do All Amps Sound the Same?"
from 1987.

It is now 2005. Where are the published reports of identification of
components when ABXing? Falsely or correctly. NYOB is obviously
searching the old issues of "Stereo Review".

Second of all, the link to the PDF was posted on Sound & Vision's
website this month, because the article was referred to in the
September S&V letters column.

He will not find any
there. Neither correct nor false by Brad Meyer's criteria, ABX makes
it all sound the same.

Except when it doesn't:

http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_data.htm

You were a liar before I killfiled you, and apparently you remain one.
Back into the killfile you go.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

Thank you for gruunnt admitting that urrrrgh you were greeeeek wrong,

again.

This is one example of the mckelviphibian's talent for mimicry of the
krugersaurus. Many naturalists have debated whether a behavior represents
intelligence innate to the species, or mere mimicry. Since the
mckelviphibian's brain has negligible corticial matter, mimicry provides it
with an ability to exhibit behavior more sophisticated than could be
independently created by its primitive ganglion. In fact, the total volume
of corticial matter in the mckelviphibian is dwarfed by the "mushroom
bodies" of the cockroach, those particular extensions of the insectoid
cephaliod ganglion that are intimately connected with the antennae.

Robert Morein

Robert Morein wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

Answer too long?

Robert Morein

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" said:

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate

relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if

it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from

criticism.

Dunno about Arny's soldering skills, but the relays in my preamp
(gold-plated gasfilled OMRON types) sure as hell don't add or subtract
anything in the signal.

Now, if one's to ABX gear with a 4066, that's another matter :-)

The inadequate size of the relays was noted in a Stereophile article that
predated the current acrimony.

I built a remote control AB box using garden variety P&B relays with plated
palladium/oxide contacts. Even with brand new relays, there was clearly a
degrading effect. All those days of wasted fabrication!

From the change in the sound, I think there was something nonlinear going
on, ala rectification.

I'm sure Arny used better relays, but the Stereophile comment remains,
specifically challenging the power handling capacity.

Robert Morein

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

[snip]
If the comparisons weren't done by an ass then you know they are

worthless.

What an amazing criteria! All science must be done by asses!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article
et,
says...
[...]

Observe how when confronted with facts that contradict Moron's fantasy
world, he resorts to infantile attacks.

Way to go Bob.

Steven Sullivan

Robert Morein wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article et,
says...
[...]

No, simply insufficiently convincing.

--

-S
Robert Morein

Robert Morein wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article

et,
says...
[...]

Oh.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
k.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article
et,
says...
[...]

Observe how gruunntt when confronted urrrghhh with facts greeeek that

contradict gruuuntt Moron's urrrghhh fantasy
world, he greeeek resorts to gruuuntt infantile urrrrgh attacks greeeeek.

Way to grunnnt urrrrgh grreeekk Bob.

This is what amphibiologists call a "reflex response".

Steven Sullivan

Robert Morein wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
Robert Morein wrote:

"Bill Riel" wrote in message
. ..
In article

et,
says...
[...]

Next time, you might want to actually provide evidence, like Mr. Meyer
did. Just a thought.

Or not. I'm about done with the newsgroup again for awhile. RAHE's
back up.

--

-S
George Middius

Sillybot prepares to have his firmware refreshed.

I'm about done with the newsgroup again for awhile.

You're not allowed to preach about aBxism on RAHE, Silly. You'll be banned like
Krooger was.

ScottW

"Robert Morein" said:

If it's Arny Krueger's ABX box, it was constructed with inadequate

relays.
IME, this can easily mask subtle differences between amplifiers. Even if

it
was not constructed by Krueger, that does not make it immune from

criticism.

Dunno about Arny's soldering skills, but the relays in my preamp
(gold-plated gasfilled OMRON types) sure as hell don't add or subtract
anything in the signal.

Now, if one's to ABX gear with a 4066, that's another matter :-)

The inadequate size of the relays was noted in a Stereophile article that
predated the current acrimony.

I built a remote control AB box using garden variety P&B relays with plated
palladium/oxide contacts.

Palladium doesn't oxidize, thats why its used.. however it's
conductivity is poor so it isn't used in high current (5 A) apps.

http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/app_pdfs/13c3236.pdf

Even with brand new relays, there was clearly a
degrading effect. All those days of wasted fabrication!

From the change in the sound, I think there was something nonlinear going
on, ala rectification.

I'm sure Arny used better relays, but the Stereophile comment remains,
specifically challenging the power handling capacity.

You mean current handling. If the relay is dissipating power, you f'd
up.
Relays dont care if you're delivering 10V and 1A but they sure might
care if your delivering 1V and 10A.

ScottW

Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Robert Morein" said:

[...]

From the change in the sound, I think there was something nonlinear

going
on, ala rectification.

I'm sure Arny used better relays, but the Stereophile comment remains,
specifically challenging the power handling capacity.

You mean current handling. If the relay is dissipating power, you f'd
up.
Relays dont care if you're delivering 10V and 1A but they sure might
care if your delivering 1V and 10A.

ScottW

No, I don't mean current handling. Palladium does have that problem, but the
timbre change could not be explained by a modest increase in the resistance
of the speaker feed.

Junction rectification effects occur whenever there is the slightest
dissimilarity in contact material. These are voltage dependent. Another
possibility would be this: Because the actual contact area of slightly
convex contacts is very small, the geometry may change as a function of
point heating. Regardless of whether these, or a third, unknown mechanism
turns out to be the culprit, the result is easily audible, as an unpleasant
artifact.

All I can tell you is: my self-constructed AB box is worthless. I have every
self-serving reason to hide this fact, because I put a lot of time in it.
But I won't, because that would be bad science.

ScottW

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Robert Morein" said:

[...]

From the change in the sound, I think there was something nonlinear

[...]

Swapping out the relays for something with suitable contact material
shouldn't be a big deal.

ScottW

ScottW

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Robert Morein" said:

[...]

From the change in the sound, I think there was something nonlinear

going
on, ala rectification.

I'm sure Arny used better relays, but the Stereophile comment remains,
specifically challenging the power handling capacity.

You mean current handling. If the relay is dissipating power, you f'd
up.
Relays dont care if you're delivering 10V and 1A but they sure might
care if your delivering 1V and 10A.

ScottW

No, I don't mean current handling.

Then Stereophile meant current handling and you repeated their error.

ScottW

Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
"ScottW" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Robert Morein" said:

[...]

From the change in the sound, I think there was something nonlinear

going
on, ala rectification.

I'm sure Arny used better relays, but the Stereophile comment

remains,
specifically challenging the power handling capacity.

You mean current handling. If the relay is dissipating power, you

f'd
up.
Relays dont care if you're delivering 10V and 1A but they sure might
care if your delivering 1V and 10A.

ScottW

No, I don't mean current handling.

Then Stereophile meant current handling and you repeated their error.

ScottW

Probably.
Ever since the cat's whisker detector, it has been known that mechanical
junctions have effects.
When the purpose of a mechanical junction is to supply power, or a digital
signal, methods of contact design, such as bifurcation, have been
practically successful.
But "dry" contacts, that must pass a delicate analog signal that dips to
millivolts near the crossover, are, like audio, an electronic backwater. Is
gold-on-gold with sufficiently low resistance sufficient? Silver oxide is
quoted as having excellent conductivity, but what about junction effects
that would not be noticed in power applications?
And what about changes in the mechanical interface, caused by local heating,
that occur on the time scale of the signal? This means that for me, cannot
be accepted without examination for comparator construction.