Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Keith is offline

Default Comcast no longer supports Usenet - What are others using foraccess

On Sep 22, 12:43*am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Don Pearce" *wrote ...

Ty Ford wrote:
In about 5 days, I'll no *longer be able to access my groups via comcast.
Is there a consensus as to a good provider?

http://news.individual.net/

seems to be favoured by many. Please don't go the google groups route,
though. You will become invisible to the many who have that source
permanently killed.

I'll second all the clauses of that statement. *:-)

Really ? Have I become invisible?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Keith" wrote from Goooooooogle Groups...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote ...
Ty Ford wrote:
In about 5 days, I'll no longer be able to access my groups via
comcast.
Is there a consensus as to a good provider?

http://news.individual.net/

seems to be favoured by many. Please don't go the google groups route,
though. You will become invisible to the many who have that source
permanently killed.

I'll second all the clauses of that statement. :-)

Really ? Have I become invisible?

You are nearly indistinguishable from the #1 source of spam
and online rubbish known in this part of the universe. It was
your choice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith Keith is offline

On Sep 22, 11:46*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Keith" wrote from Goooooooogle Groups...

"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote ...
Ty Ford wrote:
In about 5 days, I'll no longer be able to access my groups via
comcast.
Is there a consensus as to a good provider?

http://news.individual.net/

seems to be favoured by many. Please don't go the google groups route,
though. You will become invisible to the many who have that source
permanently killed.

I'll second all the clauses of that statement. :-)

Really ? Have I become invisible?

You are nearly indistinguishable from the #1 source of spam
and online rubbish known in this part of the universe. It was
your choice.

Thanks for replying, Richard, but until reading this I was unaware of
a choice. A quick search of Australian Usenet groups on audio seems to
bring up even more of the 'bulk filler' that appears here. For what
it is worth I emailed Google , but I will contact my ISP about Usenet.
I need to get up to speed on this matter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Keith" wrote ...
Thanks for replying, Richard, but until reading this I was unaware of
a choice.

Google would like people to think that they own the Usenet
newsgroups, but Usenet started before many of the Google
staff were even born.

A quick search of Australian Usenet groups on audio seems to
bring up even more of the 'bulk filler' that appears here. For what
it is worth I emailed Google , but I will contact my ISP about Usenet.
I need to get up to speed on this matter.

Most ISPs (especially the big boys) are dropping Usenet
(as you can see from the subject line.) There are several
3rd-party NNTP vendors out there. Some of them free,
some very inexpensive, and others for premium money.
Most of them have been metioned during the course of
this discussion (and similar ones) over the last few weeks.

My personal choice is news.individual.net It costs 10 Euro
per year which is close enough to free for me. Like Google,
they have only the text-based newsgroups. (No binaries
newsgroups.) They are located in Berlin which really does
not make any practical difference on the global internet.