Faragan

Default Why do my old demos from 7 yrs ago sound better than the current #1 selling album in america?

Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

P.
Ricky W. Hunt

"Faragan" wrote in message
om...
Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

I know what you mean. I'm near 40 and this stuff grates my ears. How a young
person's hearing could take it is beyond me. Of course this what they are
used to and is presented to them as "professional sounding" so it's what
they identify with when they hear the words "pro sound".

ChrisCoaster

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message news:7uAwc.57204$Ly.4318@attbi_s01...
"Faragan" wrote in message
om...
Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

I know what you mean. I'm near 40 and this stuff grates my ears. How a young
person's hearing could take it is beyond me. Of course this what they are
used to and is presented to them as "professional sounding" so it's what
they identify with when they hear the words "pro sound".

__________________________
MisteRogers asks: "Can you say 'excessive dynamic compression' ?"

I saw it somewhere - it escapes me - online a list of prominent CDs
produced since 1984, showing the title, artist, and average sound
level in Digital terms. Basically, album by album, the average level
crept closer to zero - the digital audio theoretical maximum never to
be exceeded. -10, -11, -9, -9, -6, -7, -7, -4, and so on. Higher
overall volumes at the expense of dynamic vitality. : ( Translated
to even a violin solo, this means you are losing the peaks and valleys
that compose a violin's essence!

This is why I have to drag out some of my old vinyl to really
experience the artist's intent - something lost on the CD transcripts
and digital "Remasters".

-ChrisCoaster

Ricky W. Hunt

"ChrisCoaster" wrote in message
om...
MisteRogers asks: "Can you say 'excessive dynamic compression' ?"

I saw it somewhere - it escapes me - online a list of prominent CDs
produced since 1984, showing the title, artist, and average sound
level in Digital terms. Basically, album by album, the average level
crept closer to zero - the digital audio theoretical maximum never to

You can definitely graph it out. I have Rhapsody.com so I have a huge range
of old and new music to draw from. That's the only place I'd ever hear this
"new" music anyway so a lot of stuff I want to check out I throw in a
playlist with other stuff I'm listening too. There's practically no way to
set a speaker level that allows you hear every thing well (older stuff) and
not be blown across the room when the new stuff comes on. As soothing as
analog is it's even more so when one of those grating mixes finishes (and
not all the grating ones where done on digital) and it goes into something
like some old Frank Sinatra. Like salve to ears.

Faragan

Mr. Drummer,

I am absolutely not comparing my mixes to anyone's here! I'm just
saying that Lavigne's cd sounds like a locust of crap-covered needles.
That's a fact and
if you can't hear it, it's probably because you've been listening to
the new Avril Lavigne CD all the way through.

It's alarming to realize that some old home demos can sound more
pleasing and listenable than a major release of that commercial
impact.

Anyone not agreeing that it sounds like crap should quit the business,
give their tired ears a rest, and let young super-talented
professional like me take over. ; )p

P.

"DaveDrummer" wrote in message . ..
Biggest mistake #1, comparing your mixes to all 'professional' mixes.

Dave

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message
"Faragan" wrote in message
om...
Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

I know what you mean. I'm near 40 and this stuff grates my ears. How a

young
person's hearing could take it is beyond me. Of course this what they are
used to and is presented to them as "professional sounding" so it's what
they identify with when they hear the words "pro sound".

Danny Taddei

Most songs/recordings today are like the movies are- I heard someone say
that it is sad that movies pay $100,000,000 on effects and stunts when
all they really have to do is spend $10,000 on a script! Crap in, crap out~

Faragan wrote:

Mr. Drummer,

I am absolutely not comparing my mixes to anyone's here! I'm just
saying that Lavigne's cd sounds like a locust of crap-covered needles.
That's a fact and
if you can't hear it, it's probably because you've been listening to
the new Avril Lavigne CD all the way through.

It's alarming to realize that some old home demos can sound more
pleasing and listenable than a major release of that commercial
impact.

Anyone not agreeing that it sounds like crap should quit the business,
give their tired ears a rest, and let young super-talented
professional like me take over. ; )p

P.

"DaveDrummer" wrote in message . ..

Biggest mistake #1, comparing your mixes to all 'professional' mixes.

Dave

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message

"Faragan" wrote in message
e.com...

Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

I know what you mean. I'm near 40 and this stuff grates my ears. How a

young

person's hearing could take it is beyond me. Of course this what they are
used to and is presented to them as "professional sounding" so it's what
they identify with when they hear the words "pro sound".

Don Cooper

Andy Peake wrote:

My 7-yr. old daughter believes Hillary Duff is heaven on earth. Image
not art. Marketing not music. It ain't about the music. It's about
Nickelodeon.

That's so cute!

Don

Ricky W. Hunt

wrote in message
. ..

To keep it all in perspective, we're not talking about another MIles
DAvis, Duke ELlington or the Beatles here. we are talking about
another nobody who will fade into obscurity before the next five yeras
are done.

Yeah but all artists have to eat. And to remain "competitive" (read: sell
enough records to be a viable artist) sooner or later, even if it's not the
artist's choice) those "standards" (read: crappy, brittle mastering) are
foisted on his material as well.

Roger W. Norman

Geez, I liked it, if you're referring to "Let Go". I even wrote it up here.
And I do mostly jazz recordings, so it's not like my likes/dislikes are
really genre specific.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Faragan" wrote in message
om...
Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

P.

Roger W. Norman

So you made me yank out Lucky Man Clark and put Avril on again. Been busy
the past couple of months and haven't had much time for listening to music
but a fresh listen doesn't change my mind at all about the quality of this
album. It may be loud, but it's not as bad as the RHCP's last release, and
it's far better than what Mitch Easter returned from a group that I'd spent
about two years grooming and had some fantastic work from.

Now I admit, there's tools all over the live room right now so I can't
really go out and get an idea from the playback monitors out there, but here
in the control room, at my normal playback levels on a calibrated system it
sounds fine to me. Now I admit, I haven't pulled it off CD into Samplitude,
but why? I know where my system works, and again, this is fine.

Don't get me wrong. In the case of a lot of stuff I've listened to, you are
correct. I just question this one. Perhaps you forgot where the volume was
located? There is no discernable distortion on this CD at any volume that I
can hear. Average RMS value is between -15 and -10 dB with just a little
movement towards -9 dB, which I've ended up with on a really strong blues
performance by necessity. It's just the way the songs wanted to be
represented. This might have been able to live with maybe .1 or .2 dB down
on the final product, but it's not freaking my system out. For reference, I
usually try to have my RMS metering reside right around -15 dB, which works
for jazz pretty well, being clean and ending up with enough dynamics that my
meters have some -20 dB of bounce. This doesn't fall all that far outside
of that operating level.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Faragan" wrote in message
om...
Great mix engineers, but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?

I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my ears
start to bleed.

Class action lawsuit anyone?

P.

Don Cooper

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

Geez, I liked it, if you're referring to "Let Go". I even wrote it up here.
And I do mostly jazz recordings, so it's not like my likes/dislikes are
really genre specific.

I haven't heard it, but she was on Bob Costas last week, and I liked the
song she did.

Don

Roger W. Norman

Faragan" wrote in message
om... Let Go sounds
great! I am talking about her latest album entitled
Under My Skin. give it a listen, and shed a tear.

Good. You had me worried that either my ears were going or my ability to
discern good music.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"

[...]

om...

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 03:01:23 GMT

On 2004-06-06
(transducr) said:
(Faragan) wrote in message news:70e8479f.
but did an A&R mastered Avril Lavigne's new cd?
I cannot stand to listen to it for more than 15 seconds before my
ears start to bleed.
Class action lawsuit anyone?

me neither, but i think for me it's more about the content than the
mastering.

DItto! when I've happened across that stuff I was glad to either spin
the dial or hoping something else came on which was better, or glad I
was getting my take out food to take out of there.

why would anyone consider a class action suit over vacuous teeny bop
pop anyway? THe mastering guys just do what the bean counters tell
'em, the principle of mild, as in "make it loud dammit" and that's
what they're after.

To keep it all in perspective, we're not talking about another MIles
DAvis, Duke ELlington or the Beatles here. we are talking about
another nobody who will fade into obscurity before the next five yeras
are done.

snooze

Richard Webb
Electric Spider Productions
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

"Applying computer technology is as simple as
finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw."

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:48:56 GMT

On 2004-06-07
said:
To keep it all in perspective, we're not talking about another
MIles DAvis, Duke ELlington or the Beatles here. we are talking
about another nobody who will fade into obscurity before the next
five years are done.

Yeah but all artists have to eat. And to remain "competitive"
(read: sell enough records to be a viable artist) sooner or later,
even if it's not the artist's choice) those "standards" (read:
crappy, brittle mastering) are foisted on his material as well.

True, but the people to reach on changing this are the bean counters
who drive the whole thing. YOu and I know what this sounds like, and
no matter how much we talk it up here we're preaching to the choir.
tHe bean counters will still sell as many units as they're going to
sell to 15 year olds and the folks don't notice, and I mean that
literally. THey don't notice.

THe only thing that may make thebean counters notice is more folks
voting with their wallets and not buying, which when you hear all the
****ing and moaning has already started to happen.

Look at what passes for live music in the bars and clubs these days.
YOu'll look for awhile to find the wheat among the chaff.