Question about Digital vs. Analog

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor

Default Question about Digital vs. Analog

On 14/02/2019 2:26 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article >, Trevor > wrote:
>> On 12/02/2019 10:31 am, geoff wrote:
>>> So there is no truth in the old adage that distortion products of
>>> over-driven valves are of predominantly even order harmonics which are
>>> pleasing to the ear, as opposed to the predominantly odd-order harmonics
>>> that resulting from the distortion from over-driving solid-state
>>> devices, which are considered unpleasant√ā¬* ?

>> The truth is that for many decades there has been *NO* reason to
>> overdrive a solid state amp so the question is moot. However there are
>> still plenty of people who like the distortion from valve amps,
>> especially guitarists. As an *effect* it will always have a place it seems.

> It's not necessarily moot in some cases... because there are cases where
> people are going to inadvertently overload things and it's important that
> they either don't sound too bad when overloaded, or that they sound so bad
> that it's an immediate wake-up call to the operator. Mike preamps in live
> sound consoles are a great example.

But I was talking about valve Vs SS amps, and the fact is for the same
money or less you buy a SS amp with ten times the power and the question
of overloading it *IS* moot compared to the valve amp with 1/10th the
power! You *COULD* overload the SS amp of course, but then you are
definitely NOT comparing the power output to a valve amp with ANY amount
of, or type of, distortion!
Sadly however there are actually people for whom the distortion caused
by overloaded SS amps is not a wake-up call. :-(