OT: Computer speaker power supply

Old February 14th 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default OT: Computer speaker power supply

Nil > wrote:
>My question: do you think replacing the power supply will fix the
>problem? Or is the problem in the internal amplifier? I can buy a
>replacement power supply, but fixing the amp is probably beyond me.

These things have a design lifetime of about three years. You got ten years
out of it, so first of all you should be pretty happy, and secondly you should
expect all the electrolytics are probably bad.

The electrolytics in the wall-wart are probably bad, as well as the ones
on the amp board. First replace all the ones on the amp board, then if the
hum persists, cut open the wall-wart and do all the ones in there.