Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

Old August 10th 18, 12:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ever heard an exotic high-dollar turntable playing LP's? Hugedifference? No?

John Williamson > wrote:

>If only audiophiles bought vinyl, the market would be so small you'd be
>paying five or six times the current price for an LP, assuming it was
>actually financially worth making them in the first place.

Which is what the market was like in the 1990s. It was a very limited
audiophile market, and the only records being pressed were special audiophile
pressings at five or six (or ten) times the current market rate. The
current craze has dropped prices a lot (although there are a lot of pretty
crappy-sounding discs being issued these days which would never have sold in
the 1990s too).

Old August 11th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_]

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 7:49:05 PM UTC-4, Brassplyer wrote:
> Ever heard an exotic turntable in action? Do you have one? Do you feel the difference between it and say a correctly set up Technics SL1200MK2 is night and day?

Audio technica makes a line of what I would consider high end cartridges. I'd like to see some sales figures. When I questioned one of their folks about it at NAB, he said, "You have no idea!!!" in a way that made me think they too were surprised by the market. At the top of their line is a $5K USD cartridge. Holy crap!!!

https://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-b...s..pl?lang=eng
Old August 12th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ralph Barone > wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the history lesson Scott. Did anyone ever plot the equivalent of
>> the Fletcher-Munson curves for cocaine?

> Not that I can find, and I did a bunch of medline searches a decade ago.
> If anyone knows of any research on how marijuana or cocaine changes hearing
> perception (not research on long-term changes in hearing.. there are plenty
> of those) I'd love to see some.
> --scott

I'd think you could use Don Felder's first solo record as a data source.

--
Les Cargill
Old August 30th 18, 09:28 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf

On 8/6/2018 7:18 AM, Phil W wrote:
> Trevor:

>>> About as good as a 64kbps mp3 file, then?

>> Only if you add wow, flutter, rumble, tics, pops, distortion etc. to that MP3
>> file. Once did that to a 128kbs MP3 to see how many people preferred it to the
>> CD it was taken from (without telling them what I was playing of course) No
>> surprise there were a few. :-)

> Izotope┬┤s old "Vinyl" plug-in is still around and has even been "renewed"
> somehow some years ago... so, there┬┤s also a bit of "vintage digital" for those,
> who are mainly after "vintage" whatever...

https://www.izotope.com/en/company/p...cts/vinyl.html

I had thought of using Vinyl to alter some pristine files and call them 'Before'
and name the originals as 'After' and send them to my audio geek buddies to show
off my restoration skills.
I don't think many would figure out how it was done. Never did get around to
doing it though.

Old August 30th 18, 12:28 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 30/08/2018 8:28 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
> On 8/6/2018 7:18 AM, Phil W wrote:
>> Trevor:

>>> Only if you add wow, flutter, rumble, tics, pops, distortion etc. to
>>> that MP3 file. Once did that to a 128kbs MP3 to see how many people
>>> preferred it to the CD it was taken from (without telling them what I
>>> was playing of course) No surprise there were a few. :-)

>> Izotope┬┤s old "Vinyl" plug-in is still around and has even been
>> "renewed" somehow some years ago... so, there┬┤s also a bit of "vintage
>> digital" for those, who are mainly after "vintage" whatever...

https://www.izotope.com/en/company/p...cts/vinyl.html

> I had thought of using Vinyl to alter some pristine files and call them
> 'Before' and name the originals as 'After' and send them to my audio
> geek buddies to show off my restoration skills.
> I don't think many would figure out how it was done. Never did get
> around to doing it though.

Well ... I've listened extensively ( a while ago) to Linn LP12, and have
owned Mitchell Focus, Garrard 301/SME plinth+arm, and now have Thorens
something-or-other with SME3 and Audio Technica 30 something-or-other
moving-coil cartridge.

The Garrard was probably least good (probably due to idler-wheel drive),
but was the most lucrative to sell ! The Mitchell was striking (all
sheet-glass).

Comparing CD to LP doesn't seem remotely close on any, possibly due to
different mastering and outroight different media technical media (even
after the LP 'artifacts' are taken into account).

Old August 30th 18, 12:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 30/08/2018 11:28 PM, geoff wrote:
> On 30/08/2018 8:28 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
>> On 8/6/2018 7:18 AM, Phil W wrote:
>>> Trevor:

>>> Izotope┬┤s old "Vinyl" plug-in is still around and has even been
>>> "renewed" somehow some years ago... so, there┬┤s also a bit of
>>> "vintage digital" for those, who are mainly after "vintage" whatever...

https://www.izotope.com/en/company/p...cts/vinyl.html

>> I had thought of using Vinyl to alter some pristine files and call
>> them 'Before' and name the originals as 'After' and send them to my
>> audio geek buddies to show off my restoration skills.
>> I don't think many would figure out how it was done. Never did get
>> around to doing it though.
>>

> Well ... I've listened extensively ( a while ago) to Linn LP12, and have
> owned Mitchell Focus, Garrard 301/SME plinth+arm, and now have Thorens
> something-or-other with SME3 and Audio Technica 30 something-or-other
> moving-coil cartridge.
>
> The Garrard was probably least good (probably due to idler-wheel drive),
> but was the most lucrative to sell !┬* The Mitchell was striking (all
> sheet-glass).
>
> Comparing CD to LP doesn't seem remotely close on any, possibly due to
> different mastering and outroight different media technical media (even
> after the LP 'artifacts' are taken into account).
>
> geoff

.... but record the LP and play back on CD, and it sound exactly the same
as the LP did.