Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

On Monday, July 22, 2013 10:20:13 PM UTC+8, Andrew Haley wrote:

That never happens, unless you're sitting in an anechoic chamber.

Sound comes from all over.

Andrew.

I don't get you. Mono sound is just sound coming out from a single speaker just like a violin or voice. We hear reflection just as the same whether it is coming from mono or stereo speakers.

Stereo is a very poor attempt to recreate the real soundstage. In reality we are not hearing in stereo but real sound emitting from a single source including all the reflections. There can be many sources. But all of them coming from various space but from a single source.

Imagine a small band with the piano to left, double bass in the center and the drums to the right on 40 foot wide stage. In order to recreate the exact recorded playback the best way should be a single speaker and the exact location of the instruments and play back the music in mono with each speaker reproducing just one sound of the instruments.

I believe that should be more accurate than playing the recording in stereo over two speakers fixed arbitrarily somewhere on the stage where there wasn't any instrument at that location during the live performance.

We prefer to listen to sound coming straight to us. That's how we hear sound in real world. We turn our head to focus on the sound. Our head will be constantly turning towards the preferred sound. However, in stereo we fixed our head in the centre and stare at the empty space between the two speakers know very well that no sound is coming from the centre but listening to the sound coming from the side. Is that natural?