Jobelisk

Default Linn Karik problem?

My Linn Karik (could be 15 years or more old now) has developed a problem -
intermittant failure to engage the CD once 'play' is pressed. Any
suggestions?

It spins up (I can hear it) and seems to seek the disc start, but then after
a while (~20sec) it 'gives up' and then the display reverts to '00'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:05:32 GMT, "Jobelisk"
wrote:

My Linn Karik (could be 15 years or more old now) has developed a problem -
intermittant failure to engage the CD once 'play' is pressed. Any
suggestions?

It spins up (I can hear it) and seems to seek the disc start, but then after
a while (~20sec) it 'gives up' and then the display reverts to '00'.

Any ideas?

Get a cheap Sony or something with the features you require. Just
think of it as a stand-by unit until the Linn is fixed. Can you
REALLY hear the difference?
Tim Padrick

Yes, the difference in performance is big, in spite of the Karik's age.

It's most likely that a particular electrolytic cap on the main board has
gone bad . When this cap goes bad, it allows noise on the laser output line
and she won't play. It's a somewhat common failure. I cannot remember
exactly which cap, I think it's either C10, C11, or C14, so you'll likely
have to replace all the electrolytic caps on the main board (except for the
main power supply caps, they'll be fine). There are not that many, so there
won't be much extra cost in replacing ones that don't really need it.

wrote:

My Linn Karik (could be 15 years or more old now) has developed a

problem -
intermittant failure to engage the CD once 'play' is pressed. Any
suggestions?

It spins up (I can hear it) and seems to seek the disc start, but then

after
a while (~20sec) it 'gives up' and then the display reverts to '00'.

Any ideas?

Get a cheap Sony or something with the features you require. Just
think of it as a stand-by unit until the Linn is fixed. Can you
REALLY hear the difference?

Anyone ever seen such a problem with the Behringer ECM8000 ? Jones_r Pro Audio 2 September 23rd 03 03:33 PM
What is my problem/ Bad speaker maybe? Wmaharrisjr Car Audio 4 September 22nd 03 04:04 PM
PC problem John Cafarella Pro Audio 11 September 19th 03 06:44 AM
MP3 to CD-R problem G Ford Pro Audio 7 August 30th 03 09:20 PM
Technics SL1210 M3D turntable problem... Strutter General 1 July 13th 03 08:55 PM