Audio

Default Krell voltage conversion??

Hi

I have a Krell KAV-400 XI that I need to convert from 115 to 230 V.

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?
Or give more detailes on the subject?

Regards

Tom

Audio

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:08:00 +0200, "Audio" wrote:

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?

Krell "locks" their products in order to protect the margins of their
foreign distributors and retailers.

You can either return the amp to your local Krell distributor (Audionord

AB)
and have it "reset" for an obscene fee - usually the difference between US
and local price, with a couple hundred USD on top, or resell this

overhyped
user hostile piece of crap and get a decent amp from a less abusive

company.

I am amazed of the price they charge for the conversion :-(
Any way around this, excluding the use of expensive
frequency-converters...??

Tom

Audio

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:06:50 +0200, "Audio" wrote:

I am amazed of the price they charge for the conversion :-(

Welcome to the high end world, where value is in the mind of the

believers.

Any way around this, excluding the use of expensive
frequency-converters...??

You don't need a frequency converter : the PSU works quite fine - it's a
little bit noisier - at 50 Hz. What you need is to reconfigure the power
transformer from 117 V to 230 V if possible.

Now I'm confused....the local importer says the unit will sense that it
received 50Hz instead of 60Hz (special chip inside) and will NOT change from
standby to operating mode. They want 1300 USD for the job.....
Is this not so?
If not, I'm home safe with the 230/115V transformer I have.
The amp is currently on the way with UPS....so I can not check yet.

Tom

Audio

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:01:19 +0200, "Audio" wrote:

Now I'm confused....the local importer says the unit will sense that it
received 50Hz instead of 60Hz (special chip inside) and will NOT change

from
standby to operating mode.

AFAICT, there was no such device inside Krell amps, but they can have

added
it to recent models.

They want 1300 USD for the job.....

Nice people, huh? You can buy two quality power amplifiers for the price

of
this "mod".

The amp is currently on the way with UPS....so I can not check yet.

You'll soon know...

BTW, why have you chosen to buy an amplifier from a company who treats

their
customers like ****?

Well, I did obviously not know this.....I was more conserned with the sonic
part....

This IS a recent model.....so I will just have to await the box itselves ;-)

Thanks so far.

Arny Krueger

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:08:00 +0200, "Audio" wrote:

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50
Hz. Can some one confirm this?

Krell "locks" their products in order to protect the margins of their
foreign distributors and retailers.

Unbelievable!

You can either return the amp to your local Krell distributor
(Audionord AB) and have it "reset" for an obscene fee - usually the
difference between US and local price, with a couple hundred USD on
top, or resell this overhyped user hostile piece of crap and get a
decent amp from a less abusive company.

Agreed.

Jerry G.

Use a conversion transformer to go from the 115 V to the 230 V. Quality
amplifiers normally use a linear supply with a power transformer that works
at the mains frequency rate. Normally I would not use the device on 50 Hz,
unless it is indicated in the specs that it is safe to do so.

Depending on the design, if a power transformer is not rated for 50 Hz, it
may run hotter, and thus can have a reduced life. As for your amp not
functioning on 50 Hz, if they incorporated in to their design some type of
shut-down sensor using internal complex design, then things will get very
complicated, and require factory support to modify it. There are
manufactures that do this to protect their foreign dealers.

In any-case, if you use a mains conversion transformer, make sure that the
transformer wattage rating is at least double that is required for the
normal operation of the amp. Audio has a lot of high peaks in it, and you
don't want the conversion transformer to be over-saturating. If this happens
you will notice a lack of punch in the sound.

As for converting the mains frequency, this is a complicated and expensive
job. It is not a simple chip thing as you have been miss-informed. The mains
voltage would have to be changed to DC, regulated, and then re-converted.
There is equipment to do this, but it would cost more than going out and
buying a new amp that is designed for where you want to use it.

As for Krell, from what I have seen and heard from our clients, they have a
terrible requtation. This is a company that has its nose in the air with
their customers. I would refrain from purchasing anything that they make!

You should sell the amp, and get something descent from a manufacture that
has descent customer relations, and a reasonable pricing structure for
service, parts, and support.

I personally use a pair of Crown amplifiers for my sound system. This
company has excellent support at a reasonable price. There are also many
other manufactures that are very good for their service policies.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Audio" wrote in message
Hi

I have a Krell KAV-400 XI that I need to convert from 115 to 230 V.

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?
Or give more detailes on the subject?

Regards

Tom

Audio

"Audio" wrote in message
Hi

I have a Krell KAV-400 XI that I need to convert from 115 to 230 V.

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?
Or give more detailes on the subject?

Regards

Tom

Hi Jerry

Point is, it's an internal chip that senses that it's 50 Hz and not 60 Hz,
and this will prevent
the amp to go into operational mode (leave it in stand-by).

Tom

PS: US-readers, make an offer ;-)

Jerry G.

I mentioned that but sort of indirectly:

As for your amp not functioning on 50 Hz, if they incorporated in to their
design some type of shut-down sensor using internal complex design, then
things will get very complicated, and require factory support to modify it.
There are manufactures that do this to protect their foreign dealers.

I would never buy any piece of equipment with that type of design!

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies
==========================

"Audio" wrote in message
Hi

I have a Krell KAV-400 XI that I need to convert from 115 to 230 V.

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?
Or give more detailes on the subject?

Regards

Tom

Hi Jerry

Point is, it's an internal chip that senses that it's 50 Hz and not 60 Hz,
and this will prevent
the amp to go into operational mode (leave it in stand-by).

Tom

PS: US-readers, make an offer ;-)

Audio

"Jerry G." wrote in message

I mentioned that but sort of indirectly:

As for your amp not functioning on 50 Hz, if they incorporated in to their
design some type of shut-down sensor using internal complex design, then
things will get very complicated, and require factory support to modify

it.
There are manufactures that do this to protect their foreign dealers.

I would never buy any piece of equipment with that type of design!

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies
==========================

I regret :-( If any Krell-techs read this, I will buy this cip at a
reasnoable price...

El Meda

"Audio" wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote in message

I mentioned that but sort of indirectly:

As for your amp not functioning on 50 Hz, if they incorporated in to their
design some type of shut-down sensor using internal complex design, then
things will get very complicated, and require factory support to modify

it.
There are manufactures that do this to protect their foreign dealers.

I would never buy any piece of equipment with that type of design!

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies
==========================

I regret :-( If any Krell-techs read this, I will buy this cip at a
reasnoable price...

Maybe it's possible to find the point of the power supply circuit
where the 50Hz are sensed, disconnect it and connect the sensor
circuit to a 50Hz oscillator build around a LM555?
---
Ing. Remberto Gomez-Meda
http://ingemeda.tripod.com/
INGE - Ingenieria Electronica.
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico.

Deke

"Audio" wrote in message
Hi

I have a Krell KAV-400 XI that I need to convert from 115 to 230 V.

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?
Or give more detailes on the subject?

Regards

Tom

Heres the cheap way out.....buy a 12 volt car battery, and an inverter that
outputs 120v 60hz.
As long as you keep the battery charged, you can use it anywhere on the
planet. No expensive
conversions. Dont want a battery? A 12 volt power supply, approproate for
the local voltage/hz, will also work with the inverter if it has enough
wattage output.

Audio

"Deke" wrote in message

"Audio" wrote in message
Hi

I have a Krell KAV-400 XI that I need to convert from 115 to 230 V.

I have heard that I will need a special chip to change from 60 to 50 Hz.
Can some one confirm this?
Or give more detailes on the subject?

Regards

Tom

Heres the cheap way out.....buy a 12 volt car battery, and an inverter

that
outputs 120v 60hz.
As long as you keep the battery charged, you can use it anywhere on the
planet. No expensive
conversions. Dont want a battery? A 12 volt power supply, approproate for
the local voltage/hz, will also work with the inverter if it has enough
wattage output.

Halleluja !!!

The amp has arrived and is WORKING on 50 Hz !!!
Currently using a 230/115 transformer and it switches from standby to
operate!!
Even the remote is working!!
And I am waiting for a confirmation that the voltage-conversion is done with
the flick of a switch.....the whole thing looks like a hoax to me...

Anyway, check this link for info on cheating the 50/60Hz sensing:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=13

Some wiseguy has made a hack for the program, and anotherone has constructed
a hardware-solution including a 60 Hz oscillator-circuit.

This kicks Krells ASS......

BTW, the amp sounds wonderful.....I'll give them that!

Arny Krueger

"Audio" wrote in message

BTW, the amp sounds wonderful.....I'll give them that!

Lot's of amps sound wonderful, its just that some people seem to think they
need the pain of paying for a Krell to believe that they deserve good sound.
;-)

Chad Wahls

"Audio" wrote in message

Anyway, check this link for info on cheating the 50/60Hz sensing:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...&pagenumber=13

Some wiseguy has made a hack for the program, and anotherone has

constructed
a hardware-solution including a 60 Hz oscillator-circuit.

This kicks Krells ASS......

BTW, the amp sounds wonderful.....I'll give them that!

Is that sensing there because maybe the transformer is designed to operate
at a certain freq? Are you possibly doing more damage than good?

Or does Krell tightly control the import/export thing.

Chad