Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\)

Default How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

???

Rob Adelman

Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath) wrote:
???

From a very long distance..

Don Pearce

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:07:25 GMT, "Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\)"
wrote:

???

Couple'a'miles just about does it.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Ricky W. Hunt

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath) wrote:
???

From a very long distance..

Like the old joke: Why do bagpipe players walk around as they play? To try
and get away from the noise.

Richard Kuschel

???

Why would you need to?

Why would you want to?

Have the piper stand in the street ,close the studio door, lock the studio
door.

Seriously--

The last one I recorded was 108 dB at the piper's ear.

What you need to do is plug one ear, ( it's tempting to plug both) and find the
place where the sound balances between the drones and the chanter. Put the
microphone there and hit record.

Ideally the pipes (The big Highland ones) are an outdoor instrument, and sound
better there.
Richard H. Kuschel

Don Pearce

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:19:35 GMT, "Ricky W. Hunt"
wrote:

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath) wrote:
???

From a very long distance..

Like the old joke: Why do bagpipe players walk around as they play? To try
and get away from the noise.

That isn't it. It is because a moving target is much harder to hit.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Ben Bradley

Please limit your exposu

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...5747-6699r.htm

In rec.audio.pro, "Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\)"
wrote:

???

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\) wrote:
???

What kind of pipe? Highland pipe, Uilleann pipe, or some of the other odd
ones?

For the Highland pipes, you put it in a big room and you mike the room.
Sound comes out of a bunch of different places in the instrument and you
need the room to mix them all up. You can also mike it outside in front
of a wall to get a good blend.

This is, of course, for recording. You don't need any sound reinforcement
with the highland pipes.

The quieter pipes are less hard to deal with because they are quieter and
generally start out with less harsh a tone. With the Uilleann pipes there
is really one pipe and one chanter, and all the sound comes out the front
except for one low note. Again, I think it's best to pull back and get
everything with one mike, but you don't have to get anywhere near as far
back and four or five feet is enough.

I have not see any good way of miking the Uilleann pipes for PA. Most folks
put a single mike between the performer's legs, pointed up, and this does
not work worth a damn. Putting lavs on the pipe and chanter gives you a lot
of thumping, wheezing, and banging. I've tried a pair of 441s on either side
of the performer pulled a little bit back, but these guys are usually dealing
with high stage levels playing live so leakage becomes a big issue.

The miniature Breton pipes are more or less the same problem for PA work.
I don't know anything about the Galician pipes, really, but if certain people
would show up to their gigs on time I might learn something about them rather
than sticking them in front of a 57.
Scott Dorsey

ChuxGarage wrote:
You don't need any sound reinforcement
with the highland pipes.

That depends on the situation. I have had good results for PA using two mikes.
One is placed in front of the player and low to pick up the "Drone." The
other is up high and behind the piper to pick up the sound from the pipes.
Neither of these mics should be very close to the player. A short stand like
you'd use for a drum kit works great for the Drone. A boom stand two or three
feet away is fine for the pipes.

Was this for antipersonnel use, or were you employing it against aircraft?

Cossie

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

I don't know anything about the Galician pipes, really, but if certain

people
would show up to their gigs on time I might learn something about them

rather
than sticking them in front of a 57.

HAH! The eternal RAP question has been answered!

From now on, when someone says, "That Scott Dorsey - is there ANYTHING he
doesn't know?" we can answer confidently, "Well, he doesn't know anything
about Galician pipes, really." :-)

Bill Balmer

Rob B

I have played pipes for about 35 years and also play small pipes and
Uillean somewhat, and own a studio that has recorded quite a few
players. If your recording is going to be solo pipes, probably 2 mics
would be the best. One about 3 - 4 feet in front about chanter height,
and one about 8 feet up and 8 feet back behind the player. This will
give you some chanter/drone balance choices. If it is with other
instruments, just the chanter mic. I have good luck with a Dragonfly
into a Great River MP2NV. Don't use any compression, the volume
difference on the chanter from top to bottom will make the drones pump
wildly.
My 2 cents anyway!
Rob
EganMedia

It depends on the pipes, player, and desired sound. For Highland pipes I often
like to cheat and record as section of drones alone and overdub the chanter.
It lets you fuss wih tuning more and offers more flexibility in the mix. I've
also had good luck using an omni above and behind the drones and a full-bodied
sounding large diaphragm condenser on the chanter. Regardless, they'll still
sound like bagpipes. You can't do much about that.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Steve Holt

EganMedia" wrote in message
It depends on the pipes, player, and desired sound. For Highland pipes I

often
like to cheat and record as section of drones alone and overdub the

chanter.
It lets you fuss wih tuning more and offers more flexibility in the mix.

I've
also had good luck using an omni above and behind the drones and a

full-bodied
sounding large diaphragm condenser on the chanter. Regardless, they'll

still
sound like bagpipes. You can't do much about that.

Ever hear the soundtrack from "Braveheart"? Those pipes sound AMAZING. How
did they do it?

Steve Holt
INNER MUSIC
Music Creation & Production
http://www.inner-music.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/steveholt

William Sommerwerck

There is a PDQ Bach work that uses both lute and bagpipe. Friendly Professor
Peter Schickele points out that merely having the bagpipe in the same room as
the lute renders the lute inaudible -- even when the bagpipe _isn't_ playing.

The idea of miking a bagpipe is Just Too Weird.

I have had good results for PA using two mikes.

Was this for antipersonnel use, or were you employing it against aircraft?

Rob Adelman

Steve Holt wrote:

Ever hear the soundtrack from "Braveheart"? Those pipes sound AMAZING. How
did they do it?

90 db pad on the microphone ;-I

John Halliburton

For war pipes -- yeah, record the room. And stay the hell out. I once

recorded
a band with 8 pipers and 3 drummers. It was louder than the time I saw the

Who.

Ballroom. Evening party for the Highland Games, and the winning bands in
each category march in and play-one band at a time, thank goodness.

I've had to mic warpipes for PA, and usually a pair of mics, one floating
above the drones, and one off the front of the chanter, as far back as the
system can tolerate.

I've had very good luck with Uilean pipes by just one condensor off in
front, typically a foot or so.

Best regards,

John Halliburton

Ted Spencer

The last time I recorded a full size bagpipe I put a U87 about 4 feet behind
the player. It took the edge off the sound and worked quite nicely. The smaller
Uiliean (sp?) ones can be miked frontally prett well, but off axis and at least
4-6 feet away.
Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown
Les Cargill

"Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath)" wrote:

???

"Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation." - the Duke.

--
Les Cargill
George Gleason

"Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath)" wrote in message
???

depends are you recording or doing live sound
if your recording I would take a omni to it
if your doing live the melody of the pipe come out the chanter

thisis where the fingers are

the drones that stick over thier heads generally do not need mics for live
reinforcment

I just finished a 2 cd set of the pipe and drum competetion at the CNY
scottish game
and would be happy to send it out to any real pipe and drum competition
fans
\NO CLASS 1 Bands
classes 2-5 only
the recording was made with two neumann 184s in a xy position and a 103
between them elevated about 10 feet over the compition circle
and about 20 feet away(I was not allowed to put mics on the 'feild"

also Have the massing of bands
and the sound of rain falling on the plastic bag I had to cover the mics
with 2/3 of the way through the show
Peace
george

George Gleason

I don't know anything about the Galician pipes, really, but if certain

people
would show up to their gigs on time I might learn something about them

rather
than sticking them in front of a 57.

I just finished a Tour with the "old blind Dogs" as for live
Rory had a set of Galician pipes called a Gaita
and live a m88 at the chanter worked just fine
the hard part was balancing the galician pipes against Malcoms(bare flesh)
finger picked guitar
against the throbbing Djembe
and a fiddle
Fun stuff

Rory also played various big and small whistles some of which he processed
with a wah wah
you think you got your monitors all rung out then he sweeps the long
sustained tone on the whistle
with the Wah
I am definitly a beeter engineer now than I was before the tour
LOL
George

ryanm

"Ryan Richards (Diesel Breath)" wrote in message
???

Bagpipes aren't an instrument, they are artillery.

ryanm

dt king

"Steve Holt" wrote in message
.. .
EganMedia" wrote in message
It depends on the pipes, player, and desired sound. For Highland pipes

often
like to cheat and record as section of drones alone and overdub the

chanter.
It lets you fuss wih tuning more and offers more flexibility in the

mix.
I've
also had good luck using an omni above and behind the drones and a

full-bodied
sounding large diaphragm condenser on the chanter. Regardless, they'll

still
sound like bagpipes. You can't do much about that.

Ever hear the soundtrack from "Braveheart"? Those pipes sound AMAZING.

How
did they do it?

I recall there was some controversy, because they recorded Uillean rather
than the big Highland pipes. I might be mistaken on that, though.

Another bit ot trivia; U.S. law forbids any kind of import tax on bagpipes.

I love the sound of bagpipes at a distance. The greater the distance, the
more I love it.

dtk

Harvey Gerst

" AT" wrote:

are there bagpipes in hell?

No, the devil is cruel, but he's not crazy. It's strictly an export item for
him.

There are banjos there, all 4 string tenor banjos, but no flat picks.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
ignatz

"dt king" wrote in message
ink.net...
I love the sound of bagpipes at a distance. The greater the distance, the
more I love it.

dtk

This gets my vote for best bagpipe joke.

P Stamler

I measured 112dBA peaks at the pipers' ears and 110dBA 2 feet over the
side drum heads.

That's bad, but not as bad as a friend of mine measured. When his band was at
its peak, the sound level over his drums was 140dB (admittedly with a
fast-response meter).

By the way, my friend's band is better known as the St. Louis Symphony
Orchestra. I forget what he said they were playing; Stravinsky or Mahler, I
think.

Peace,
Paul

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

Y'all lissen up now. As usual, the man knows what he is talking about.
Harv's from Texas, and it's only a short distance to Hell from there.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:56:15 -0500, Harvey Gerst
wrote:

" AT" wrote:

are there bagpipes in hell?

No, the devil is cruel, but he's not crazy. It's strictly an export item for
him.

There are banjos there, all 4 string tenor banjos, but no flat picks.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://www.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Rob Adelman

ignatz wrote:

I love the sound of bagpipes at a distance. The greater the distance, the
more I love it.

dtk

This gets my vote for best bagpipe joke.

Agreed, that was a good one.

no spam

wrote:

No, the devil is cruel, but he's not crazy. It's strictly an export item for
him.

There are banjos there, all 4 string tenor banjos, but no flat picks.

Hey wait a minute, I resemble that remark!
Paul Gitlitz
Glitchless Productions
www.glitchless.net

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

wrote:

No, the devil is cruel, but he's not crazy. It's strictly an export item for
him.

There are banjos there, all 4 string tenor banjos, but no flat picks.

When I get there, my Guild Artist Award will be waiting. The devil
will be standing there with a ****-eating grin on his face, knowing
that no matter how much I practice, I will never get any better.

Hmmm. Almost like now.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://www.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

LeBaron & Alrich

Ben Bradley wrote:

I'm disappointed no one commented on the link I posted earler that
says bagpipes could lead to alcoholism.

I thought it was the other way 'round: alcoholism leads to bagpipes.

No?

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Ben Bradley wrote:

Just for reference, here it is again:

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...5747-6699r.htm

Okay, I read it; I think some of those docs need to learn that life is
terminal. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts. They talk as if divorce
is always a bad thing.

--
ha
Kurt Albershardt

Ben Bradley wrote:

I'm disappointed no one commented on the link I posted earler that
says bagpipes could lead to alcoholism. The story is every bit as good
as anything in this thread, and it appears to be absolutely serious.

Just for reference, here it is again:

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breakin...5747-6699r.htm

Missed it the first time 'round. Don't really know what to say--the
tone certainly SEEMS serious, but the words look as if could almost be
culled from a random sampling of other articles with the substitution of
'bagpipes' or 'pipers' for other sentence subjects/objects.