Mark DeBellis

Default Validity of audio tests

I have the following worry about audio listening tests. Suppose the
meaningful variable is a property of an extended passage, not a short
snippet. Then a subject's failure to accurately distinguish or
re-identify may be due to an inability to retain the property in
memory.

I am thinking by way of contrast to visual examples. I just made two
prints of a photograph using different settings on my printer. I am
looking at the face of the subject and I can see that the contrast is
higher in one than in the other. That is a Gestalt property of a
meaningful chunk of the picture, not a property of a few pixels (cf.
notes). The difference with the musical case is that I can compare
the contrast of the two pictures directly, whereas in music no
immediate comparison is possible. At best I have to keep the property
in memory, and maybe the relevant variable is something not easily
retained.

Is the existing empirical confirmation for tests recommended in audio
based largely on visual data? If so, perhaps they rely on factors
that apply to the visual domain (i.e., possibility of immediate
comparison) but do not transfer easily to audio.

Or are there cases in the scientific literature in which the relevant
kinds of tests have been found valid to measure the detection of
Gestalt properties of aural, temporally extended signals?

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I have the following worry about audio listening tests. Suppose the
meaningful variable is a property of an extended passage, not a short
snippet. Then a subject's failure to accurately distinguish or
re-identify may be due to an inability to retain the property in
memory.

Then it's not audible. End of discussion.

bob
Gary Eickmeier

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I have the following worry about audio listening tests. Suppose the
meaningful variable is a property of an extended passage, not a short
snippet. Then a subject's failure to accurately distinguish or
re-identify may be due to an inability to retain the property in
memory.

Nobody uses short snippets to do audio listening tests or comparisons.
We usually use a complete song or passage of an extended work.

I am thinking by way of contrast to visual examples. I just made two
prints of a photograph using different settings on my printer. I am
looking at the face of the subject and I can see that the contrast is
higher in one than in the other. That is a Gestalt property of a
meaningful chunk of the picture, not a property of a few pixels (cf.
notes). The difference with the musical case is that I can compare
the contrast of the two pictures directly, whereas in music no
immediate comparison is possible. At best I have to keep the property
in memory, and maybe the relevant variable is something not easily
retained.

Not true. You can perform rapid switching as often and as many as you
want. You level match the two sources so that the only difference you
hear is the sound quality differences between the two. Rapid switching
is the audio equivalent of a direct comparison.

Your complaint would apply only to long term comparisons, where you
listen first to a complete song on one source, then switch to the other
source and listen all over again.

Gary Eickmeier
Ban

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

I second Garys comment. Some additions:
There are ABX switchboxes available, I made one myself with relays to switch
between two speaker cables simultaneously on both ends. You can switch any
time as much as you like. The music or test signal (I use mostly pink noise)
is completely at your disposition, use what you feel gives the best results.
The faster and cleaner the switching action, the more subtle differences can
be discovered. If you are not into electronics it is better to get a ready
made box, to avoid any difference between the channels, like the sound of
the relais being different making/breaking or so.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Mark DeBellis

On 16 Jun 2005 03:14:56 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

Mark

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

Yeah, but. First, the problem, if it were a problem, could easily be
solved by listening to longer passages. No one's ever heard differences
between competent amps/cables doing it that way, either.

Second, the research demonstrates pretty clearly that our memory for
subtle sonic differences is very limited. In other words, contrary to
your conjecture, switching back and forth quickly and frequently really
is more effective.

bob
Gary Eickmeier

Mark DeBellis wrote:

OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

I would say this is a false premise. But perhaps you could give an
example of a meaningful variable that is a property of a longer passage.

Gary Eickmeier
Mark DeBellis

On 16 Jun 2005 23:53:16 GMT, "Ban" wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
I have the following worry about audio listening tests. Suppose the
meaningful variable is a property of an extended passage, not a short
snippet. Then a subject's failure to accurately distinguish or
re-identify may be due to an inability to retain the property in
memory.

I second Garys comment. Some additions:
There are ABX switchboxes available, I made one myself with relays to switch
between two speaker cables simultaneously on both ends. You can switch any
time as much as you like.

Sorry I guess I didn't explain my idea very well. Suppose that in
order to perceive the relevant property a listener has to hear an
uninterrupted stretch of music from the same source. That is, suppose
the relevant property is not a property that belongs to any short
snippet of the signal but is rather a property that belongs only to a
whole, longer passage, say 5 mins. in length or a whole movement.
What I am thinking of here is the SACD vs. CD issue discussed on
another thread. I am wondering if the unit over which perception can
differ meaningfully can be an extended passage not a brief interval;
if so, my switching back and forth between SACD and CD would not be a
relevant test, because I would hear neither SACD nor CD as an unbroken
extended passage. I guess I am asking basically whether the existing
protocols for audio tests make room for the possibility that there can
be auditory perception of properties of longer, extended passages, and
are sufficient to measure such perception.

Perhaps the answer would be that there could not be a difference in
perceptible properties of longer passages without a detectable
difference in frequency response, which could be heard in quick-switch
tests; but is that obvious?

Mark

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

Yes. There's nothing that would make a DBT involving full 5-minute
samples invalid. However, there's also no reason to think they would
work better, as I noted yesterday.

(To be completely accurate, the protocols DO require that the subject
have the ability to switch any time he wants. But there is nothing that
requires him to switch more often than once every 5 minutes if he so
chooses.)

Perhaps the answer would be that there could not be a difference in
perceptible properties of longer passages without a detectable
difference in frequency response, which could be heard in quick-switch
tests; but is that obvious?

Yep. And you're more likely to notice it if you switch quickly and
frequently between choices.

bob
Harry Lavo

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

There is a very simple, very powerful way to determine this. But it is not
practical or possible for one individual. It is called monadic testing. It
requires listening to the segment of music, and rating that musical
reproduction *immediately afterwards* using a series of rating criteria.
Such criteria might include, for example, a five point scale ranging from:
"bass sounded extrememly punchy" to "bass sounded flabby and undynamic".
When hundreds of people do this, statistics can be applied to determine if
there are in fact perceivable differences, and if so, on what criteria.

If I were Harmon Industries, I might design and sponsor such a test on
occasion. Frankly, Sony blew an opportunity to do such a test (it would be
expensive) for their SACD launch. Imagine if the introductory campaign had
included "proof" that SACD sounded better. We'd now have a viable second
format.

If I were the AES, I might sponsor such a test as a "control test" for
single-person tests such as the much bally-hooed ABX test, to advance the
state of the art..

But for a given individual it is not a practical test.

Mark DeBellis

On 18 Jun 2005 02:27:00 GMT, wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

OK, then please explain to me where I'm going wrong. I am
hypothesizing that there are properties (1) that can only be perceived
over long stretches and (2) are not retained in memory. If there are
such properties, the kind of test I'm thinking of won't be sufficient
to measure the perception of them, because at the end of the second
5-minute sample, the subject won't remember the first one well enough
to make an accurate comparison. A test of this sort will not be
sensitive to the phenomenon. Please tell me why the reasons I have
given for my conclusion are not good ones.

However, there's also no reason to think they would
work better, as I noted yesterday.

(To be completely accurate, the protocols DO require that the subject
have the ability to switch any time he wants. But there is nothing that
requires him to switch more often than once every 5 minutes if he so
chooses.)

Perhaps the answer would be that there could not be a difference in
perceptible properties of longer passages without a detectable
difference in frequency response, which could be heard in quick-switch
tests; but is that obvious?

Yep.

Well, it's not obvious to me, so if you could give me some indication
why I should think it's true, that would be most appreciated!

Mark
Gary Eickmeier

Mark DeBellis wrote:

It would not solve the problem because once you had listened to the
first passage you would have to remember the property for the duration
of the second passage, and I am hypothesizing that you don't have
reliable memory for that. That is the problem.

OK, so let me get this straight: You listen to one component, hear
certain properties, then listen to another component, and hear certain
other properties, but by the time it's all over with you can't remember
which was which? This pretty much dooms any listening test, doesn't it?
Not sure I see the point of your question.

Gary Eickmeier

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 17 Jun 2005 03:11:07 GMT, wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

Yeah, but. First, the problem, if it were a problem, could easily be
solved by listening to longer passages. No one's ever heard differences
between competent amps/cables doing it that way, either.

It would not solve the problem because once you had listened to the
first passage you would have to remember the property for the duration
of the second passage, and I am hypothesizing that you don't have
reliable memory for that. That is the problem.

Then how do you know it's a meaningful variable?

FWIW, here I am thinking of SACD vs. CD rather than amps or cables. I
don't know if it makes a difference, but the intuition is about music
not white noise (say).

Second, the research demonstrates pretty clearly that our memory for
subtle sonic differences is very limited. In other words, contrary to
your conjecture, switching back and forth quickly and frequently really
is more effective.

Is the research that demonstrates this based entirely on the tests
that I am saying would not be sensitive to such possibilities? Isn't
that a circular argument? If not, what is the relevant research?

It's based on tests of human hearing. Your ability to remember partial
loudness differences lasts a couple of seconds, tops. You are
speculating that there exists something that violates this established
fact. What is it, and how do you know?

bob

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 18 Jun 2005 02:27:00 GMT, wrote:

Yes. There's nothing that would make a DBT involving full 5-minute
samples invalid.

OK, then please explain to me where I'm going wrong. I am
hypothesizing

This is where you're going wrong. You are NOT hypothesizing. You are
engaging in idle speculation. "There might be something" is not a
hypothesis. If you can tell us what you think that something is, and
give us some reason to believe it might be a factor, then you have a
hypothesis.

that there are properties (1) that can only be perceived
over long stretches and (2) are not retained in memory.

Aren't these two things mutually contradictory? Certainly you are
relying on memory when you perceive something over long stretches. And,
to repeat myself, what is it? We're still waiting.

[...]

Can you name some sonic distinction that isn't a partial loudness
difference?

bob

Mark DeBellis

On 18 Jun 2005 22:46:39 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

It would not solve the problem because once you had listened to the
first passage you would have to remember the property for the duration
of the second passage, and I am hypothesizing that you don't have
reliable memory for that. That is the problem.

OK, so let me get this straight: You listen to one component, hear
certain properties, then listen to another component, and hear certain
other properties, but by the time it's all over with you can't remember
which was which? This pretty much dooms any listening test, doesn't it?
Not sure I see the point of your question.

It is that the test would be inadequate to measure the detection of
said properties.

The background to this is that I said I thought SACD sounded better
than CD, and Chung suggested that I try a simple blind test, to see if
I could reliably identify which was SACD and which was CD (after
matching levels; SACD and CD layers of same disc). Indeed I could
not, at least on one set of trials. Should the conclusion be that
SACD sounds the same as CD? Or is it possible that the test I applied
is inadequate in some way? How *could* it be possible that the test
is inadequate? My question is basically an attempt to explain how
that might be. Suppose when I am listening to recorded music (1) I
hear properties of temporally extended passages and (2) I can't retain
a memory of those properties long enough to make a comparison, if at
all. Then I could have perceived different things, although this
difference would not show up in the kind of test I performed.

Mark
Buster Mudd

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 17 Jun 2005 23:48:24 GMT, "Buster Mudd"
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 16 Jun 2005 03:14:23 GMT, wrote:

If you hear something but do not retain a memory of it (sufficient to
carry out a certain kind of test), you still heard it. No?

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this book here befo Daniel Dennett's
_Conciousness Explained_. Probably my favorite treatese on the physical
process of cognition & perception -- thought-provoking, challenging,
elucidating and funny to read! Highly recomended.

Anyway, I mention this book because, in a nutshell, according to
Dennett, the answer to your question is "No."

That is an interesting book, and I do remember reading it a while
back, and I second your recommendation, but what exactly is the reason
to think "No"?

Because "hearing" is a cognitive process; it takes place in the brain,
not in the ear. So if your brain tells you you didn't hear it, even if
soundwaves did strike your eardrum...and even (!) if at an earlier time
your brain told you that you did hear it...for all intents & purposes,
you didn't hear it. Saying "I heard it" is only useful if you can
access the perception in order to make subsequent discriminations.

There are cases all the time when people perceive
things and then forget them.

At which point any information they may have gleaned from perceiving
that thing is lost to them. Hence, the distinction between whether they
actually perceived it & then forgot it, or never perceived it in the
first place, is moot.

In a slightly bigger nutshell, Dennett goes on to explain (with far
more conviction & evidence than I could possibly muster in a newsgroup
posting) that there is often a significant & meaningful difference
between What We Perceived, and What We Think We Perceived.

True, but how does that difference play a role here?

It goes to the core of your initial question: How valid can an audio
test be if it's measuring the perception of phenomena which may not
actually exist?

wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

IOW, you did a test, you didn't like the result, so now you're
demanding that we give you some basis for rejecting the result of the
test.

The test is adequate, assuming you did it with reasonable care. That's
why scientists have used it to test just about everything we know about
hearing. Why should a test become inadequate just because some hobbyist
wants to believe something that isn't true?

bob
Harry Lavo

wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but since you assert this constantly I
can only do the same in response....the testing you favor has never been
validated for the open-ended evaluation of reproduced music. Period. If it
had been and could be demonstrated to have been so, it would be widely used
and accepted by most every audiophile. The fact that it has not been, is
not accepted, and flies in the face of so much otherwise different consensus
means that to continue asserting it as you do, is an act of faith, nothing
else.

Mark DeBellis

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

I would say this is a false premise. But perhaps you could give an
example of a meaningful variable that is a property of a longer passage.

I missed your post until now because, for some reason, it didn't
download (I'm using Free Agent) from my news server.

An example of a property that belongs to a temporally extended passage
without belonging to short slices of it is being a descending C major
scale, one octave long. That is a property a listener can perceive
the passage as having, but it is a property is one that belongs to the
whole, not short parts.

Another perceivable property that belongs to a temporal whole is the
property, belonging to a spoken sentence, of being syntactically well
formed.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

I'm not claiming to know that. I'm saying that *if* such properties
exist, certain tests would not be capable of demonstrating that people
perceive them. It is a point about whether the methodology is
sensitive to a certain class of properties.

It is not contrary to "established fact" to assert that properties of
temporally extended wholes exist and can be perceived. That is
demonstrated every time you recognize a melody.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

"Buster Mudd" wrote:

Because "hearing" is a cognitive process; it takes place in the brain,
not in the ear. So if your brain tells you you didn't hear it, even if
soundwaves did strike your eardrum...and even (!) if at an earlier time
your brain told you that you did hear it...for all intents & purposes,
you didn't hear it. Saying "I heard it" is only useful if you can
access the perception in order to make subsequent discriminations.

I agree with the basic idea that perception is something that
influences behavior, but why does the behavior have to be restricted
to comparison and identification? Suppose a listener gives higher
approval ratings to one set of (blind) stimuli than another, without
ever trying to say which stimuli were the same and which were
different. This would be an influence on behavior, but of a weaker
sort than is required by the "can you reliably identify" type of test.

There are cases all the time when people perceive
things and then forget them.

At which point any information they may have gleaned from perceiving
that thing is lost to them. Hence, the distinction between whether they
actually perceived it & then forgot it, or never perceived it in the
first place, is moot.

Not if the information is still doing work somewhere in your cognitive
economy, even though it can't be brought to consciousness, or is not
specific enough to enable one to perform the identification task.

Mark

When I said the other day that audio subjectivism is the rejection of
the scientific method, this is what I meant:

Harry Lavo wrote:

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but since you assert this constantly I
can only do the same in response....the testing you favor has never been
validated for the open-ended evaluation of reproduced music. Period. If it
had been and could be demonstrated to have been so, it would be widely used
and accepted by most every audiophile. The fact that it has not been, is
not accepted, and flies in the face of so much otherwise different consensus
means that to continue asserting it as you do, is an act of faith, nothing
else.

To believe this, one must ignore reams of scientific data that conflict
with what you believe. In particular, one must assert, against all
evidence, that human hearing operates differently when listening to
reproduced music than it does at all other times, and that generations
of scientists have just been deluding themselves.

This is how Creation Science operates. Let's hope the audio field never
sinks so low.

bob

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 17 Jun 2005 03:11:07 GMT,
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

Yeah, but. First, the problem, if it were a problem, could easily be
solved by listening to longer passages. No one's ever heard differences
between competent amps/cables doing it that way, either.

It would not solve the problem because once you had listened to the
first passage you would have to remember the property for the duration
of the second passage, and I am hypothesizing that you don't have
reliable memory for that. That is the problem.

Then how do you know it's a meaningful variable?

It seems his point is that yo don't know it isn't either.

FWIW, here I am thinking of SACD vs. CD rather than amps or cables. I
don't know if it makes a difference, but the intuition is about music
not white noise (say).

Second, the research demonstrates pretty clearly that our memory for
subtle sonic differences is very limited. In other words, contrary to
your conjecture, switching back and forth quickly and frequently really
is more effective.

Is the research that demonstrates this based entirely on the tests
that I am saying would not be sensitive to such possibilities? Isn't
that a circular argument? If not, what is the relevant research?

It's based on tests of human hearing. Your ability to remember partial
loudness differences lasts a couple of seconds, tops.

Now that is interesting given that small barely audible level
differences can lead one to form a prefernce. How can that be?

You are
speculating that there exists something that violates this established
fact. What is it, and how do you know?

How do you explain the fact that small level diferences can lead to
prefeences if we can't remember them in our comparisons?

Scott Wheeler

Harry Lavo said:

.....the testing you favor has never been
validated for the open-ended evaluation of reproduced music. Period.

Which evalutaion method that you approve of has been so validated?
What did the BBC use when they did their ABX comparisons for the
purpose of upgrading their speakers?

If it
had been and could be demonstrated to have been so, it would be widely used
and accepted by most every audiophile.

The fact that double blind level matched comparisons are the standard
for those doing the serious research on all other forms of sound hasn't
seemed to convince audiophiles that it is valid, so, it would seem that
many of them simply refuse to accept what is known, probably because it
doesn't give the results that they believe they should get.

The fact that it has not been, is
not accepted, and flies in the face of so much otherwise different consensus
means that to continue asserting it as you do, is an act of faith, nothing
else.

And accepting less reliable, non-bias controlled tests, is not?

The problem is not consensus, since clearly audiophiles are in the
minority when it comes to ABX and it's reliability.

Greg Lee

Mark DeBellis wrote:
The background to this is that I said I thought SACD sounded better
than CD, and Chung suggested that I try a simple blind test, to see if
I could reliably identify which was SACD and which was CD (after
matching levels; SACD and CD layers of same disc). Indeed I could
not, at least on one set of trials. Should the conclusion be that
SACD sounds the same as CD? Or is it possible that the test I applied
is inadequate in some way? How *could* it be possible that the test
is inadequate? My question is basically an attempt to explain how
that might be. ...

Another possibility is suggested by an informal experiment on smells
that I did on myself. I took a selection of spices that were all
in the same type of bottle, closed my eyes, shuffled the bottles
around, and opened and sniffed them one by one, trying to identify
the spice by name. I was sure I could do it but was quite amazed to
discover that I couldn't do it at all. With my eyes closed, I could
tell the differences perfectly well, but I just couldn't connect the
names with the smells.

So I think it's *possible* that in unsighted comparisons, the part
of the brain that does symbolic analysis and associated judgment
is not in perfect communication with other parts.
--
Greg Lee
Mark DeBellis

A couple of further ideas to toss out, from an onlooker's perspective
of course.

Quick-switch tests are said to be the most sensitive, therefore best,
yes? Because they permit finer discriminations. An observation: the
ultimate purpose of an audio test is not discrimination per se. That
is, it's not as if the job that has to be performed here is to
discriminate two sources if they can be, to do the best job of
discrimination we can, as if that were the real goal. The real purpose
of the test is rather to find out what information is available to the
listener in the context of use, or perhaps to estimate an upper bound
on that information.

It is possible that two sources in the ordinary context of use do not
present different information to the listener, even if there are ways
to set up testing situations (e.g., at higher volume) where a person
could discriminate the sources. All well and good if we do, but it's
not like having a test that permits such discrimination is a valuable
achievement in itself; what we are basically interested in is making
sure that if there are differences of information presented in the
ordinary context of use, then they will show up and get discriminated
in the test.

Question: for all the resolving power quick-switch tests have, for all
the power they have to put the stimulus under a microscope and discern
small differences of detail, are there certain sorts of properties they
are *not* so good at picking up? Is there perhaps a forest-for-trees
phenomenon lurking somewhere out there?

Here's an off the cuff example. Suppose I have two digital photographs
that are identical except that one is 1.01 the size of the other.
First I compare them (this is the analogue of the quick-switch test) by
comparing small portions of one with the other. The comparison is set
up in such a way that when I compare a square portion of one with a
square portion of the other, one of them is 1.01 as large as the other.
However, I cannot see the difference because these are small areas and
the difference in size is below my threshold of discrimination.

However, when I compare the wholes I can see the difference in size,
because the difference is now greater than the threshold, since the
whole is much larger than any of those parts.

An auditory example would be tempo. Suppose I am listening to two
sources, where the only difference is that one of them has a speed of
1.01 times the other. If I listen to short excerpts any difference is
below the just-noticeable-difference, but if the whole example is the
Ring cycle, I will notice that one finishes before dark and the other
doesn't, I get hungry during one but not the other, etc.

So even if quick-switch tests, on balance, are the most sensitive, that
doesn't mean there can't be things out there that don't get caught in
their net (though they may be detectable in other ways).

To come back to the SACD/CD example, my concern is whether, even if the
quick-switch test were a "null," there could be differences that the
test does not do a good job of proving the existence of. Rather than
feel assured that science tells us there could not be such differences,
it seems to me pretty apparent that every test has its limitations.

Sound plausible?

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Sorry, one of my previous posts had a couple of extraneous words in
one place; here is a corrected version.

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
OK but I am saying, suppose the meaningful variable is a property of
an extended passage. So you have to listen to an uninterrupted
passage in order to perceive the property. Switching back and forth
will defeat the purpose, yes?

I would say this is a false premise. But perhaps you could give an
example of a meaningful variable that is a property of a longer passage.

I missed your post until now because, for some reason, it didn't
download (I'm using Free Agent) from my news server.

An example of a property that belongs to a temporally extended passage
without belonging to short slices of it is being a descending C major
scale, one octave long. That is a property a listener can perceive
the passage as having, but it is a property that belongs to the whole,
not short parts.

Another perceivable property that belongs to a temporal whole is the
property, belonging to a spoken sentence, of being syntactically well
formed.

Mark

Harry Lavo

"Buster Mudd" wrote:

[...]

Yet if 200 people do the same thing, you can apply statistical measures of
difference and determine with high accuracy whether or not subjectively
there is a difference, and if so, in what characteristics (assuming the
scalar data is pertinent to the differences heard). That is exactly the
kind of validation that is missing that would prove (or prove in the
negative) whether quick-switch, "short form" tests such as ABX can measure
the same thing.

There are cases all the time when people perceive
things and then forget them.

At which point any information they may have gleaned from perceiving
that thing is lost to them. Hence, the distinction between whether they
actually perceived it & then forgot it, or never perceived it in the
first place, is moot.

Not if the information is still doing work somewhere in your cognitive
economy, even though it can't be brought to consciousness, or is not
specific enough to enable one to perform the identification task.

Certainly. If you hear it again and respond the same way, it can influence
either favorably or unfavorably your reception to the music being played /
your evaluation of the system it is being played on. Thus most audiophiles
emphasis on long term listening.

Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

I repeat, the test has never been directly validated for the purposes
espoused here.

And the vast majority of the scientific work has *NOT* been on music and
certainly virtually none has been dedicated to the worth of abx testing as a
means of open-ended evaluation of audio components.

Mark DeBellis wrote:
"Buster Mudd" wrote:

Because "hearing" is a cognitive process; it takes place in the brain,
not in the ear. So if your brain tells you you didn't hear it, even if
soundwaves did strike your eardrum...and even (!) if at an earlier time
your brain told you that you did hear it...for all intents & purposes,
you didn't hear it. Saying "I heard it" is only useful if you can
access the perception in order to make subsequent discriminations.

I agree with the basic idea that perception is something that
influences behavior, but why does the behavior have to be restricted
to comparison and identification?

It doesn't. You can easily do a DBT as, say, a preference test. If the
subject reports the same preference at a statistically significant
rate, we can assume that the two are different.

Suppose a listener gives higher
approval ratings to one set of (blind) stimuli than another, without
ever trying to say which stimuli were the same and which were
different. This would be an influence on behavior, but of a weaker
sort than is required by the "can you reliably identify" type of test.

There are cases all the time when people perceive
things and then forget them.

At which point any information they may have gleaned from perceiving
that thing is lost to them. Hence, the distinction between whether they
actually perceived it & then forgot it, or never perceived it in the
first place, is moot.

Not if the information is still doing work somewhere in your cognitive
economy, even though it can't be brought to consciousness, or is not
specific enough to enable one to perform the identification task.

But it isn't, because of our short aural memory for partial loudness
differences.

bob

Greg Lee wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Or maybe it's possible that when you make the test tougher, you don't
do as well?

You're doing an open identification test. That would be the equivalent
of listening to one amp and deciding whether it was a Rotel, Adcom,
Krell, or Hafler. To succeed at such a test, even if it were possible,
would require intense practice. All evidence suggests, however, that it
would not be possible--that even if there were some slight sonic
differences between those amps, which you could tell apart in a
quick-switching comparison, you probably wouldn't be able to remember
what is distinctive about each of them long enough to identify a single
example.

Whereas I'll bet lots of professional chefs, with a fair bit more
training than you, would have no trouble putting the right labels on
your spice rack.

Olfactory analogies, like visual ones, don't work.

bob

Mark DeBellis wrote:
A couple of further ideas to toss out, from an onlooker's perspective
of course.

Quick-switch tests are said to be the most sensitive, therefore best,
yes? Because they permit finer discriminations. An observation: the
ultimate purpose of an audio test is not discrimination per se.

No, but if you can't discriminate between two things, then the
differences between them are irrelevant.

That
is, it's not as if the job that has to be performed here is to
discriminate two sources if they can be, to do the best job of
discrimination we can, as if that were the real goal. The real purpose
of the test is rather to find out what information is available to the
listener in the context of use, or perhaps to estimate an upper bound
on that information.

Well, we know that. That's what the science of psychoacoustics is all
about. Check it out sometime.

[...]

No there is not, according to all experts in the field. Or do you think
you know more than the experts?

Here's an off the cuff example. Suppose I have two digital photographs
that are identical except that one is 1.01 the size of the other.
First I compare them (this is the analogue of the quick-switch test) by
comparing small portions of one with the other. The comparison is set
up in such a way that when I compare a square portion of one with a
square portion of the other, one of them is 1.01 as large as the other.
However, I cannot see the difference because these are small areas and
the difference in size is below my threshold of discrimination.

However, when I compare the wholes I can see the difference in size,
because the difference is now greater than the threshold, since the
whole is much larger than any of those parts.

Irrelevant and off-point visual analogy. Visual analogies don't work.
Ever.

An auditory example would be tempo. Suppose I am listening to two
sources, where the only difference is that one of them has a speed of
1.01 times the other. If I listen to short excerpts any difference is
below the just-noticeable-difference, but if the whole example is the
Ring cycle, I will notice that one finishes before dark and the other
doesn't, I get hungry during one but not the other, etc.

But you're not discriminating between the two by listening to them.
You're discriminating between them by looking at the clock. (And I
don't know what the threshold is for speed variation, but at some point
you really would be able to distinguish between them in a standard
DBT.)

So even if quick-switch tests, on balance, are the most sensitive, that
doesn't mean there can't be things out there that don't get caught in
their net (though they may be detectable in other ways).

So far you haven't come up with a single one. That's because there
aren't any.

To come back to the SACD/CD example, my concern is whether, even if the
quick-switch test were a "null," there could be differences that the
test does not do a good job of proving the existence of. Rather than
feel assured that science tells us there could not be such differences,
it seems to me pretty apparent that every test has its limitations.

Sound plausible?

No. It sounds like you're grasping at straws because you don't like
what the science is telling you. If you live in Kansas, I suggest you
run for the state board of ed.

bob
Ban

Now that is interesting given that small barely audible level
differences can lead one to form a prefernce. How can that be?

The slightly louder level will give the impression of more detail, because
more small levels rise above the threshold of hearing. Since the change is
small, you cannot detect more significant tones, but just a general feeling
of higher resolution.

You are
speculating that there exists something that violates this
established fact. What is it, and how do you know?

How do you explain the fact that small level diferences can lead to
prefeences if we can't remember them in our comparisons?

If there is a significant level difference, you could in fact detect more
acoustical events, like the noise when the musicians turn the page of their
partitures. In this case you can remember this additional sound, but it has
to be coined and recognized again in each trial. This would not be direct
comparison, because the recognition doesn't give a vague pointer, but a
destinctive indicator. It also needs to be learned by training and you will
need a focused attention.
So whatever people say about long-term and short-term testing, the opposite
seems to be the case, and in fact has been validated by research.
Long-term evaluation with long pauses between the trials will require an
evaluation that is tied to certain distinctive passages, where or where not
a certain sound/noise can be heard. The fast switching will give you more a
general impression of the music as a whole, without the need to concentrate
on separate noises. It will be more joyful, you listen equally to the
instruments, it is more what happens during a concert.

Scott Wheeler

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy
Mark DeBellis

If I understand you right, it follows from what you are saying that
there will a perceptible difference between two passages only if there
are short corresponding portions of those passages which, when
juxtaposed, will exhibit a perceptible loudness difference. OK, yes,
that does seem plausible (*).

What I am getting from this then is that the relevant task is not
necessarily "Which one is SACD and which is CD?" but "Are A and B the
same or different?" (This is for me the most important point.)

And for the latter, yes, I can see, intuitively at least, why
quick-switch tests are the most sensitive.

The quick-switch test will catch a difference that exists between the
passages only if the samples include points of divergence; if too few
samples are taken, they might just miss them.

(*) About the principle stated above which, if true, is a fact of
psychology. It seems to be saying more or less that differences are
perceptible in context only if they are perceptible in isolation. OK,
suppose I am looking at a photograph with a continuous gradation from
light to dark. And I can see the difference between that and a patch
of constant tone. Then the principle would say that I can do this only
if I can see the difference between small patches where the sample
taken from the first photograph is more or less constant in tone.

But not too small, because once the areas get very small I can't
reliably compare them any more.

OK now the auditory case. There is a signal that gets louder, and I
can hear the difference between that and a signal of constant loudness.
The principle says that I can do this only if I can hear the
difference in loudness between short corresponding portions.

Seems plausible ... and if the portions get to be too short then would
reliability go down, just as in the visual case?

Does it matter how the short portions are "juxtaposed"? Separated by
silence or one followed continously by the other?

Mark