Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

Default Mac adapters

What adapters are out that let you take advantage of the combo input/
output plugs that will take optical digital signals? I know Sony made
one for their CD players that used this connector but ideally, I'd
like to come from a spdif or toslink cable. Do those adapters exist? I
haven't seen any Mac advertising of the capabilities of these
connectors nor have I seen anything from the online stores you see in
the back of computer magazines.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 14, 6:16*pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
wrote in message

What adapters are out that let you take advantage of the combo input/
output plugs that will take optical digital signals? I know Sony made
one for their CD players that used this connector but ideally, I'd
like to come from a spdif or toslink cable. Do those adapters exist? I
haven't seen any Mac advertising of the capabilities of these
connectors nor have I seen anything from the online stores you see in
the back of computer magazines.

The Sony device is a simple mechanical adapter that has no circuitry; the
optical interface is already in the player.

I'm not sure what you're after, but i you want to convert from coax to
optical or the reverse, circuitry is required. The Midiman CO2 is a
bidirectional converter that can be DC powered, but the power requirement is
significant, and it's a clunky metal box -- probably not what you're looking
for.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I actually own the C02 and use it to go from optical to coax from a
Sony minidisk with optical to and from a Sony CDR with coax. What I'm
looking for is the adapter to utilize the optical digital ins and outs
of the Mac's combo connector that has a 1/8" stereo ins and outs that
double as optical digital ins and outs.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] cedriclathan154@gmail.com is offline

On Jul 14, 6:32*pm, Chris Hornbeck
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:53:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

What adapters are out that let you take advantage of the combo input/
output plugs that will take optical digital signals? I know Sony made
one for their CD players that used this connector but ideally, I'd
like to come from a spdif or toslink cable. Do those adapters exist? I
haven't seen any Mac advertising of the capabilities of these
connectors nor have I seen anything from the online stores you see in
the back of computer magazines.

Mac's that I've seen have a combi audio output jack, analog
via stereo 3.5mm and digital via optical. MCM, among others,
sells an optical cable that plugs into the Mac's jack on
one end and into a conventional optical jack on the other.
Will six feet reach ya?

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck

Yea, I think 6 to 8 feet would reach. I'll have to look that company
up. Thanks for the info.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

[...]

Actually found another item that does the same thing. http://
macaudiopro.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=47126

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert John Albert is offline

I actually own the C02 and use it to go from optical to
coax from a Sony minidisk with optical to and from a Sony
CDR with coax. What I'm looking for is the adapter to
utilize the optical digital ins and outs of the Mac's combo
connector that has a 1/8" stereo ins and outs that double as
optical digital ins and outs.

I'm going to assume that the "adapter" you are looking for
is one that you can physically add to the end of an ordinary
"toslink" (digital/optical) cable in order to plug it into
the Mac output/input, is that correct?

I ordered mine from PartsExpress.com:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=47686858
"Toslink to optical mini adapter"

Is this what you're asking about?

- John
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message ...

(The analog (headphones) outputs were unacceptably noisy.
Not ground loops, per se, but more like contaminated grounds.)

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck

Took the front panel HP outs from a Mac the other night to run
some down & dirty, quick audio from a short DVD presentation
to the mixer line inputs.... couldn't hear anything that was nasty,
but I had a constant -6dB of _something_ hanging on the inputs
as long as the plug was in the Mac jack.

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:30:19 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
/Odm wrote:

(The analog (headphones) outputs were unacceptably noisy.
Not ground loops, per se, but more like contaminated grounds.)

Took the front panel HP outs from a Mac the other night to run
some down & dirty, quick audio from a short DVD presentation
to the mixer line inputs.... couldn't hear anything that was nasty,
but I had a constant -6dB of _something_ hanging on the inputs
as long as the plug was in the Mac jack.

Sounds a lot like my experience. I can't say fersure-fersure
it wasn't a ground-loop issue in this case, but everything
was Edison'd to a local power strip and otherwise isolated
from the cruel world outside.

And, an optical cable from the headphone output to (my, loaned)
D/A converter, and then on to the analog world, solved the
problem.

Took me quite a while to believe it, but I'm dogmatic too
often. Rruff!

I'm certainly open for suggestions, if for no other reason than
to get my D/A converter back! Arf.

Much thanks, as always,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
What adapters are out that let you take advantage of the combo input/
output plugs that will take optical digital signals? I know Sony made
one for their CD players that used this connector but ideally, I'd
like to come from a spdif or toslink cable. Do those adapters exist? I
haven't seen any Mac advertising of the capabilities of these
connectors nor have I seen anything from the online stores you see in
the back of computer magazines.

I don't know who sells a premade cable (though I'd try Markertek), but
I know that Digi-Key sells the Toslink cable, the regular Toslink connectors,
and also the combo connectors the Apple uses. Making your own Toslink
cables is not too hard.