Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_2_] west[_2_] is offline

Default Cloth vs. Vinyl

Gents: I have several Dynaco MK III & ST-70 Power and OP transformers. I
don't need to keep all of them. On Ebay, it seems, at least by the ads, that
the cloth variety are the more covetous. It's seems like a veritable
statement but I never heard a comprehensive reason why. Can someone lay this
probably beaten subject to rest once and for all? Thanks in advance.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

west wrote:

Gents: I have several Dynaco MK III & ST-70 Power and OP transformers. I
don't need to keep all of them. On Ebay, it seems, at least by the ads, that
the cloth variety are the more covetous. It's seems like a veritable
statement but I never heard a comprehensive reason why. Can someone lay this
probably beaten subject to rest once and for all? Thanks in advance.

It's because ppl are daft.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mark S Mark S is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

west wrote:

Gents: I have several Dynaco MK III & ST-70 Power and OP transformers.
don't need to keep all of them. On Ebay, it seems, at least by the ads,
that
the cloth variety are the more covetous. It's seems like a veritable
statement but I never heard a comprehensive reason why. Can someone lay
this
probably beaten subject to rest once and for all? Thanks in advance.

It's because ppl are daft.

Graham

Maybe!
or, the cloth variety were the original items made in the 'states and the
vinyl covered versions overseas for latter production. Whether or not that
makes the them inferior is anyone's guess. I don't know or really care to
tell the truth.
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Apr 28, 2:59 pm, "west" wrote:
Gents: I have several Dynaco MK III & ST-70 Power and OP transformers. I
don't need to keep all of them. On Ebay, it seems, at least by the ads, that
the cloth variety are the more covetous. It's seems like a veritable
statement but I never heard a comprehensive reason why. Can someone lay this
probably beaten subject to rest once and for all? Thanks in advance.

west

With respect, the cloth-lead transformers have a certain cachet. The
vinyl-lead transformers are more recent. Neither are any better than
the other unless one believes in smoke, mirrors and the Great Pumpkin.
David Hafler sourced his parts from the lowest possible cost supplier
without refrence to any sort of loyalty or continuity as long as they
met his specifications. The transition from cloth to vinyl was over
some time with a considerable period when both were shipped
simultaneously.

So, sell the cloth-leads and realize more $$, which is the basis of
your question. Whatever you chose to use for a likely-unsatisfactory
DIY project based on the remaining iron will near as make no
difference. Why do I say this? That you would even ask such a question
in the first place when the slightest modicum of research on your part
would answer the question quickly and completely. Why do I say "likely
unsatisfactory"... Well, your post on your pre-amp and your post on
"congestion" clearly illustrate that you haven't even the most basic
understanding of the species, expected results or why such results are
what they are. You really need to go through the combinations and
permutations possible with some OTS units (such as the Dynaco or Eico
70 types) to better understand what is possible before you embark on a
voyage to what is to you very much uncharted territory.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west[_3_] west[_3_] is offline

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 28, 2:59 pm, "west" wrote:
[...]

I did exactly that and found insignificant differences. My question was more
of a marketing issue."Which cloth or vinyl brings in more money." It seems
that the cloth does and I wanted to know why. Stop making me self-conscience
of my questions with your ASSumptions. We went through that. At times I may
leave out a spec or 2 if I smell an ambush in the waiting, like with my
preamp. Call it a second sense, perhaps developed from being raised in the
ghetto.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Apr 28, 2:59 pm, "west" wrote:
[...]

west- Hide quoted text -

There is no "why". That is the point. It is an accident of history
that the great unwashed attribute something special to the cloth...
keep in mind that this is the same group that would put their speaker
wires on tiny catenary towers and use green markers on their CDs. The
change from cloth to vinyl happened because David Hafler purchased
from another maker which used vinyl. He switched to save a few cents
per transformer, no other reason.

You may take advantage of this bit of human perversity and sell off
the cloth units, and it will make no difference whatsoever on any
future results from the units you retain.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 4, 5:15 pm, Bret Ludwig wrote:
[...]

Hafler was a cheapskate. He was also a better than pretty good
designer....but he was a cheapskate who chose to cater to the lowest
common denominator market. He'd have been smarter to cater to people
who wanted the best and would pay for it. Mc did, and they're still
there.

The ST70 was a great hobby platform when it was cheap. Now it's a
nostalgia item at a ridiculous price. Even more ridiculous are people
who are making new reissue kits for ridiculous money.....when for a
few dollars more they could offer a good amplifier.- Hide quoted text -

David Hafler could not design his way out of a paper bag with a map
and a sharp knife. What he was, was brilliant at hiring good
designers.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Cloth Covered Wire Karl Vacuum Tubes 10 October 12th 05 07:17 PM
acoustically transparent cloth? hollywood_steve Pro Audio 22 June 7th 04 08:50 PM
acoustically transparent cloth? hollywood_steve Pro Audio 0 June 5th 04 08:40 PM
guillford of maine cloth xy Pro Audio 5 March 3rd 04 01:07 AM
Cloth turntable belt JJimLong Vacuum Tubes 3 December 29th 03 11:21 PM