Andre Jute

Default French films

Since Bruce wants help in turning into a sneerier snob, here are some
hints:

I never saw any French film at a film festival that I liked, except
Lacombe Lucien, and that was a glossy, Americanized piece of work.
Super scene where the protagonist knocks the head off the Sunday
luncheon chicken. Doomed to failure of course, because of the downbeat
theme and the audience knowing from the beginning that it must add
badly; tragedy is death at the box office.

The French films I really liked were all good enough to get mainstream
or near-mainstream distribution. I loved the films that starred Michel
Piccoli and Stephanie Audran. They were small films, comparable to
something from Hollywood starring Robert di Niro and Jane Fonda as
adulterers, say, but with more believable detailing and a more human
surface.

But European films I really loved were those that copied American films
and gave them a savage twist. Those films Charles Bronson made which
were financed by French and Italian money were all superior to his
later Hollywood oevre (with the exception of his crossover movie, The
Mechanic, which had the most cynical script until Tarrentino arrived).
Alain Delon, a favourite actor of mine, didn't really come into his
full flowring as an actor until he was cast in Hollywood movies with,
for instance, Burt Lancaster.

I found nothing to like in the onanistic films of Godard and Truffaut,
or crap like the auteur theory. Borsalino was worth ten times as much
as all the films of Godard and Truffaut together. Compare the
Godard/Trauffaut rubbish to The Leopard or any other European film made
with American money and production input but a European literary
script, and you will agree with me.

The best French movie ever made was A Man and a Woman. It was fabulous
precisely because it brought American production values to a decent
French script.

French film noir is so dark because until the advent of American money
they couldn't afford enough Kliegs to light the sets properly, in fact
they couldn't afford sets...

During the same period Hollywood made a great many good films, a few
great ones, and scads of the usual bubblegum trash. Europe too turned
out bubblegum trash, to such an extent that the soft-porn producers
Golan and Globus went to Hollywood as big men. So, I cannot agree with
Bruce that French movies, or European movies, are intrinsically
superior. Personally, I loved the Die Hard movies.

However, I can explain why most British movies are so cringemakingly
inferior: it is because the British have a poor man's outlook on the
destruction of property while Americans just purely love blowing things
up. That's what makes American movies so satisfying, the amount of
property destroyed in any good American movie.

I vote for Hollywood. Looks like George isn't the only one about to be
thrownout of the Snob's Snuggery. But at least we won't have to commit
Hugger Muggery with Bruce.

Andre Jute

dave weil

On 6 Oct 2005 11:13:58 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Since Bruce wants help in turning into a sneerier snob, here are some
hints:

I never saw any French film at a film festival that I liked, except
Lacombe Lucien, and that was a glossy, Americanized piece of work.
Super scene where the protagonist knocks the head off the Sunday
luncheon chicken. Doomed to failure of course, because of the downbeat
theme and the audience knowing from the beginning that it must add
badly; tragedy is death at the box office.

The French films I really liked were all good enough to get mainstream
or near-mainstream distribution. I loved the films that starred Michel
Piccoli and Stephanie Audran. They were small films, comparable to
something from Hollywood starring Robert di Niro and Jane Fonda as
adulterers, say, but with more believable detailing and a more human
surface.

Frankly, I happen to like the films of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, espcially
"La cité des enfants perdus". If that makes me a bad man, then so be
it. Of course, his films have also gotten near-mainstream
distribution...

But European films I really loved were those that copied American films
and gave them a savage twist. Those films Charles Bronson made which
were financed by French and Italian money were all superior to his
later Hollywood oevre (with the exception of his crossover movie, The
Mechanic, which had the most cynical script until Tarrentino arrived).
Alain Delon, a favourite actor of mine, didn't really come into his
full flowring as an actor until he was cast in Hollywood movies with,
for instance, Burt Lancaster.

I found nothing to like in the onanistic

He said onanistic...heh heh...

films of Godard and Truffaut,

Well, there's no accounting for taste chuckle.

If you can't find anything to like in a film like Jules et Jim or À
bout de souffle (to pick two well-known examples of great filmmaking),
well then...

or crap like the auteur

He said auteur...heh heh...

[...]

Well, it would be helpful if he actually said that.

Personally, I loved the Die Hard movies.

Well, the first one was a lot of fun.

However, I can explain why most British movies are so cringemakingly
inferior: it is because the British have a poor man's outlook on the
destruction of property while Americans just purely love blowing things
up. That's what makes American movies so satisfying, the amount of
property destroyed in any good American movie.

I vote for Hollywood. Looks like George isn't the only one about to be
thrownout of the Snob's Snuggery. But at least we won't have to commit
Hugger Muggery with Bruce.

We'll just have to put up with YOUR peculiar form of snobbery.

George Middius

Andre Jute said:

The French films I really liked were all good enough to get mainstream
or near-mainstream distribution.

I recommend these:

A Matter of Taste (Une Affaire de Goût) by Bernard Rapp

Criminal Lovers (Les amants criminels) by Francois Ozon

Lionel

Andre Jute a écrit :
[...]

Don't speak about Alain Delon if you don't really know his filmography. ;-)

I found nothing to like in the onanistic films of Godard and Truffaut,
or crap like the auteur theory. Borsalino was worth ten times as much
as all the films of Godard and Truffaut together.

Some movies are really untranslatable. Learn French.

Compare the
Godard/Trauffaut rubbish to The Leopard or any other European film made
with American money and production input but a European literary
script, and you will agree with me.

Your problem is that you try to compare movies that cannot be compared.

http://www.ecrannoir.fr/real/france/mocky.htm
He is my prefered film maker if you haven't seen anything from him
please never speak again about "French" movies... ;-)

Have you seen "Un singe en hivers" ?
Ruud Broens

"Lionel" wrote in message
:
: Some movies are really untranslatable. Learn French.
:
: Have you seen "Un singe en hivers" ?

Uhh, "I'm singing in the Hive ?"
R.

[...]

Don't mistake your opinion for fact...

BTW did you see the movie Amelie?

Andre Jute

Andre Jute wrote:
[A mercifully brief if poncey pontification, more notable for being
stylishly bitchy than for any real content, which is repeated at the
bottom for the record.]

George Middius wrote:
I recommend these:

A Matter of Taste (Une Affaire de Go=FBt) by Bernard Rapp

Lionel wrote:
http://www.ecrannoir.fr/real/france/mocky.htm

dave weil wrote:
"La cit=E9 des enfants perdus".

Thanks for your recommendations, gentlemen. Perhaps you missed the
determined past tense in my original letter in this thread. Today I am
so busy being a trendsetter and allround smartarse that I don't have
time to watch minority movies I might not like. Members of my family
choose surefire American thrillers or action comedies which I am
certain not to walk out on.

dave weil wrote:
We'll just have to put up with YOUR peculiar form of snobbery.

My particular form of snobbery would be of no interest to Bruce; its
satisfactions would baffle him as exactly the opposite of what he is
trying to achieve. I'm just helping him glib up his snobbery with a
veneer of discrimination about physical things and a few of the easier
abstracts not requiring original thinking.

It's just an excuse for getting around to talking about cars, Dave, me
old son. Sex, cars and money, everything is about sex, cars and money.
You heard it here for the 2,563,986th time.

Andre Jute
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site" -- Hi-Fi News & Record Review

PS I liked Chocolat. Was that a French movie or did I just imagine the
subtitles? In that case it shoulda been a French movie. Come to think
of it, the lighting was pretty grim; musta been a French movie. And I
liked Amalie; she reminded me of Monsieur Hulot.

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

=20
Andre Jute

George M. Middius

Andre Jute said:

Thanks for your recommendations, gentlemen. Perhaps you missed the
determined past tense in my original letter in this thread.

I, for one, wasn't talking specifically to you. The subject of Froggie
Films was raised, and I wanted to embarrass Slut.

paul packer

On 6 Oct 2005 11:13:58 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

Since Bruce wants help in turning into a sneerier snob

He said that? Gee, I'll have to read more carefully.

I never saw any French film at a film festival that I liked, except
Lacombe Lucien, and that was a glossy, Americanized piece of work.
Super scene where the protagonist knocks the head off the Sunday
luncheon chicken.

Now that's the kind of scene I've been looking for!

Doomed to failure of course, because of the downbeat
theme and the audience knowing from the beginning that it must add
badly; tragedy is death at the box office.

Add badly? It was about mathematics?

The French films I really liked were all good enough to get mainstream
or near-mainstream distribution. I loved the films that starred Michel
Piccoli and Stephanie Audran. They were small films, comparable to
something from Hollywood starring Robert di Niro and Jane Fonda as
adulterers

That would indeed be an epic.

The best French movie ever made was A Man and a Woman. It was fabulous
precisely because it brought American production values to a decent
French script.

French film noir is so dark because until the advent of American money
they couldn't afford enough Kliegs to light the sets properly, in fact
they couldn't afford sets...

So why is American film noir dark then?

However, I can explain why most British movies are so cringemakingly
inferior: it is because the British have a poor man's outlook on the
destruction of property while Americans just purely love blowing things
up. That's what makes American movies so satisfying, the amount of
property destroyed in any good American movie.

This is indeed a superior perspective on the art of filmmaking.
Reminds me of a British skit on American filmmaking where the spoof
film was called, "Things Exploding," and the sequel, "Everything
Explodes."

paul packer

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:45:17 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

The French films I really liked were all good enough to get mainstream
or near-mainstream distribution. I loved the films that starred Michel
Piccoli and Stephanie Audran. They were small films, comparable to
something from Hollywood starring Robert di Niro and Jane Fonda as
adulterers, say, but with more believable detailing and a more human
surface.

Frankly, I happen to like the films of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, espcially
"La cité des enfants perdus". If that makes me a bad man, then so be
it.

Now, Dave, you know you could never be a bad man. :-)

During the same period Hollywood made a great many good films, a few
great ones, and scads of the usual bubblegum trash. Europe too turned
out bubblegum trash, to such an extent that the soft-porn producers
Golan and Globus went to Hollywood as big men. So, I cannot agree with
Bruce that French movies, or European movies, are intrinsically
superior.

Well, it would be helpful if he actually said that.

Yes. Isn't it wonderful how people read what they wish to read,
perhaps according to their own prejudices? Mr. Miller certainly knows
how to push buttons.

Personally, I loved the Die Hard movies.

Well, the first one was a lot of fun.

If you like to watch people running on broken glass.

However, I can explain why most British movies are so cringemakingly
inferior: it is because the British have a poor man's outlook on the
destruction of property while Americans just purely love blowing things
up. That's what makes American movies so satisfying, the amount of
property destroyed in any good American movie.

I vote for Hollywood. Looks like George isn't the only one about to be
thrownout of the Snob's Snuggery. But at least we won't have to commit
Hugger Muggery with Bruce.

We'll just have to put up with YOUR peculiar form of snobbery.

Reverse?

dave weil

On 6 Oct 2005 17:03:56 -0700, "Andre Jute" wrote:

dave weil wrote:
"La cité des enfants perdus".

Thanks for your recommendations, gentlemen. Perhaps you missed the
determined past tense in my original letter in this thread. Today I am
so busy being a trendsetter and allround smartarse that I don't have
time to watch minority movies I might not like. Members of my family
choose surefire American thrillers or action comedies which I am
certain not to walk out on.

You seem a bit obtuse today. I wasn't "recommending" it to you.
Lionel

George Minus Middius a écrit :

Andre Jute said:

Thanks for your recommendations, gentlemen. Perhaps you missed the
determined past tense in my original letter in this thread.

I, for one, wasn't talking specifically to you. The subject of Froggie
Films was raised, and I wanted to embarrass Slut.

Oh dear I'm really embarrassed, you know !
You can return to your PlayStation now. :-)

Lionel

Andre Jute a écrit :

Thanks for your recommendations, gentlemen. Perhaps you missed the
determined past tense in my original letter in this thread.

Sorry, I was just trying to rescue a thread that hasn't any sens.
Lionel

Andre Jute a écrit :

Andre Jute
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site" -- Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Jezus ! An other mytho-megalomaniac aesthete !!!!
....Some competition for you, George. ;-)

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Lionel" wrote in message
:
: Some movies are really untranslatable. Learn French.
:
: Have you seen "Un singe en hivers" ?

Uhh, "I'm singing in the Hive ?"
R.

Morein can't decide about Jules et Jim. He's not sure if it's about
cannibalism or a gay romance.

hlink.net...

"Lionel" wrote in message
:
: Some movies are really untranslatable. Learn French.
:
: Have you seen "Un singe en hivers" ?

Tell us, Lionel. The best I can do is "Cold as a brass monkey"

Norm Strong

George M. Middius

Uncle Troll said:

Have you seen "Un singe en hivers" ?

Tell us, Lionel. The best I can do is "Cold as a brass monkey"

I looked it up. "A Monkey in Winter" -- literal translation works. It's
about drunkenness -- i.e. it's quintessentially French.

Bruce C. Miller

Andre Jute wrote:
dave weil wrote:
We'll just have to put up with YOUR peculiar form of snobbery.

My particular form of snobbery would be of no interest to Bruce; its
satisfactions would baffle him as exactly the opposite of what he is
trying to achieve.

I agree. Whatever life philosophy you are following, I want no part of
it. I also agree to being completely baffled as to what satisfaction
you acquire from the pursuit of it. I can only suspect that your
actions are the result of an unhealthy mind, though they have certainly
been entertaining.

I suspect that the particulars of your condition would be clear in
person. It's hard to tell what is amiss in the mind of Andre Jute from
here, since despite the logorrheic volumes you pen about yourself, your
public image is tightly controlled. Nonetheless, enough is clear to
fascinate even those of us with no interest in amateur psychology.

I'm just helping him glib up his snobbery with a
veneer of discrimination about physical things and a few of the easier
abstracts not requiring original thinking.

Simply because I've never mentioned anything about my life besides
these things, it doesn't mean that's all there is to my life. In fact,
I would describe the things mentioned in my original post as only a
small part of my free time, and free time is something I don't have
much of to begin with (unlike yourself, obviously).

I'm not sure how your consumption of goods is any more original than my
own. And no, I don't count the things you acquired by some well-worded
but ultimately thin, supermarket novelette-style plot of intrigue and
murder in Africa. I mean in the real world. Buying stuff isn't
original, regardless. We all have to buy stuff, I just wondered if
there were any things I could improve of in this regard. Since posting
here, I've noticed that apparently I have already mastered this aspect
of my life among many others I wasn't aware of, at least by comparison.

Lionel

George M. Middius a écrit :

Uncle Troll said:

Have you seen "Un singe en hivers" ?

Tell us, Lionel. The best I can do is "Cold as a brass monkey"

I looked it up. "A Monkey in Winter" -- literal translation works. It's
about drunkenness -- i.e. it's quintessentially French.

Poor George, you perfectly fit your own description of the "Borgs" in
your today thread.
Bruce C. Miller

wrote:
During the same period Hollywood made a great many good films, a few
great ones, and scads of the usual bubblegum trash. Europe too turned
out bubblegum trash, to such an extent that the soft-porn producers
Golan and Globus went to Hollywood as big men. So, I cannot agree with
Bruce that French movies, or European movies, are intrinsically
superior.

Well, it would be helpful if he actually said that.

Yes. Isn't it wonderful how people read what they wish to read,
perhaps according to their own prejudices? Mr. Miller certainly knows
how to push buttons.

Unintentionally, I assure you. I don't think Andre hates me
personally; he's simply defending his territory. Andre feels he has
claimed the title of cultured intellectual here and so he defends his
throne passionately.

I hadn't considered this when I posted. That's probably why I was
surprised that Andre wasn't more supportive, especially since we share
a few interests. Little did I understand the social hierarchy present
here and that my post constituted a challenge for Alpha Male of
Snobbery.

I would apologize for the perceived transgression and assure him that
his flock is safely his, but it would be pointless as long as he's
enraged. Maybe I will try later on once he's calmed down.

Jon Yaeger

in article , Bruce C.
Miller at

wrote:
[...]

Gee Bruce, you seem like a sharp guy. I hope you have more self-esteem than
to worry about what someone as disturbed as Andre thinks of you.

Andre is an alpha male only in his own mind. There are plenty of
participants and lurkers who are better and deeper thinkers. However, they
have one thing that Andre sadly lacks but desperately seeks -- that would be
class -- and they don't need to prove it to anyone, let alone him.

Carry on!

Andre Jute

Seen. -- AJ

Atlanta rentboy and crooked garage trader Jon Yaeger wrote:
in article , Bruce C.
Miller at

wrote:
[...]

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:
During the same period Hollywood made a great many good films, a few
great ones, and scads of the usual bubblegum trash. Europe too turned
out bubblegum trash, to such an extent that the soft-porn producers
Golan and Globus went to Hollywood as big men. So, I cannot agree with
Bruce that French movies, or European movies, are intrinsically
superior.

Well, it would be helpful if he actually said that.

Yes. Isn't it wonderful how people read what they wish to read,
perhaps according to their own prejudices? Mr. Miller certainly knows
how to push buttons.

Unintentionally, I assure you. I don't think Andre hates me
personally; he's simply defending his territory. Andre feels he has
claimed the title of cultured intellectual here and so he defends his
throne passionately.

He thinks *that*? Pompous purveyor of purple prose springs to mind,
overlaid of course with that pseudo-intellectual verbal diarrhoea
which is the mark of those who have retired from the real world to the
marbled halls of academe, a wonderful fairyland where mutual
admiration and backstabbing co-exist in a sea of self-satisfaction.

To be sure, it is a classless society, but not in the usual sense of
that expression.................. :-)