Mulehead

Default Computer speakers?

I hope this is the right place for this. I'm looking for recommendations for
computer speakers. I want to get a system with 2 satellites and a subwoofer.
I need them for music, games and general computer sounds. All at moderate
volumes. I want as close to audiophile-grade sound quality as possible.
Going all over the place to hear different systems is not practical for me.
I'd like to narrow it down to two or three possibilities if I can.

Any suggestions?

Mulehead wrote:
I hope this is the right place for this. I'm looking for recommendations for
computer speakers. I want to get a system with 2 satellites and a subwoofer.
I need them for music, games and general computer sounds. All at moderate
volumes. I want as close to audiophile-grade sound quality as possible.
Going all over the place to hear different systems is not practical for me.

I understand, but even great speakers can sound different from each
other. If you don't need the speakers soon, maybe you could put off the
purchase until you have a day you can shop around in stores?

Another thought for really good sound: Headphones, such as the Grado
SR60 ($70). Search web for comments and dealers. Probably better sound
than any speakers sold for computers, if you're comfortable with
headphones. Takes up less space than speakers.

A popular choice sold at many places (such as Best Buy stores and on
web sites such as eBay.com): Klipsch 2.1 speakers. About $150, I think.
I haven't listened to these, except in my local BB store where the
listening conditions are pretty bad, but these speakers sounded good to
me.

The best cheap speakers I've heard are the Cyber Acoustics SA-3022. $30
at Office Depot. Surprisingly good sound. At that price, I almost
bought 'em on the spot, even though I don't need 'em.

Anyway, if you use Google.com and/or search reviews at web sites such
as Amazon.com and Epinions.com, you should get some more ideas. Also
use Google.com to search newsgroups.

I'd like to narrow it down to two or three possibilities if I can.

That's three ideas above, ranging from $30 to $150.

Any suggestions?

See above. Your budget?

Mulehead

wrote in message
ps.com...

snip
That's three ideas above, ranging from $30 to $150.

Thanks. You're input is very helpful.

Time isn't the big issue for me. I don't live in a major city, and computer
and electronic stores in my area are a bit sparce. Also, I'm disabled. I
can't drive. So going even moderate distances for store-to-store shopping
for computer speakers is kinda difficult for me. I wanted to narrow it down
a little, then go online to manufacturer's sites to see if there's any
authorized dealers in my area. Then try to check them out.

Budget-wise=under $300 preferably. I've also heard good things about the
Klipsch model you mentioned. I occasionally use Sennheiser HD 580 headphones
in much the same way as the Grado's you mention, but I'd rather go with
speakers over headphones even if the sound quality isn't quite as good.

Robert Morein

"Mulehead" wrote in message
I hope this is the right place for this. I'm looking for recommendations

for
computer speakers. I want to get a system with 2 satellites and a

subwoofer.
I need them for music, games and general computer sounds. All at moderate
volumes. I want as close to audiophile-grade sound quality as possible.
Going all over the place to hear different systems is not practical for

me.
I'd like to narrow it down to two or three possibilities if I can.

Any suggestions?

There aren't any. But, the Logitech Z-2300,
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9372,
has garnered some great reviews. Unfortunately, user reviews tend to
disagree. User experience suggests a very mediocre midrange presentation.
Still, it may be the best thing out there.

Mulehead wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

snip
That's three ideas above, ranging from $30 to $150.

Thanks. You're input is very helpful.

Time isn't the big issue for me. I don't live in a major city, and computer
and electronic stores in my area are a bit sparce. Also, I'm disabled. I
can't drive. So going even moderate distances for store-to-store shopping
for computer speakers is kinda difficult for me.

Understood. I suspected there might be some reasons, such as not having
good stores nearby, that you might not want to go out shopping.

I live in a smallish city, and computer speakers here in stores often
aren't connected or working correctly, or are connected only to some
hidden CD player that isn't playing anything I know or tells me much
about speaker quality. For example, the speakers may only be playing
compressed and distorted hard rock music that can't give me an idea how
accurate and clear the speaker may be. So it isn't too easy for me to
shop for speakers either, even when I find the models I want to hear in
local stores.

I find these are pretty good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-OF-BOSE-MED...temZ5816318644

Bigger, better speakers would sound bigger and better, but these are
adequate for me now. This is a discontinued model and there are usually
many pairs for sale on eBay. I may upgrade eventually, but right now I
don't have room for a 2.1 set of speakers and I don't listen to music
really seriously at my PC these days.

I wanted to narrow it down
a little, then go online to manufacturer's sites to see if there's any
authorized dealers in my area. Then try to check them out.

Maybe there are some online dealers who will let you buy speakers and
return them if you don't like them?

Budget-wise=under $300 preferably. I've also heard good things about the
Klipsch model you mentioned. I occasionally use Sennheiser HD 580 headphones
in much the same way as the Grado's you mention, but I'd rather go with
speakers over headphones even if the sound quality isn't quite as good.

Know what you mean. I have several sets of headphones, but I'm not
always in the mood to wear them, even though they sound better than my
speakers.

Getting back to speakers, another possibility is powered audio monitor
speakers, like those sold for small or home recording studios. These
are sold in music stores and any place that sells gear for studios and
home recordists. There are some desktop powered monitor speakers
starting at maybe $150/pair and up. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any
of these and can't make any recommendations. But given that they're
designed for clear and accurate sound, they might be worth a listen.
Reading online, I see that many people creating music at home use these
sort of speakers with their computers.

A possible drawback for those sort of speakers is that they often have
no grilles, leaving the drivers more vulnerable to damage.

Andrew Barss

I have the Logitech Z-3 connected to my current computer,
and they're great -- clean, loud, and nice separation.

I also own the Altec Lansing VS4121 system, which is also great, although
the recent systems seem to have quality control issues.

- Andy Barss