Michael Shaffer

Default What amplifier for Klipsch RF-7s?

Hello what amplifier would you recommend for Klipsch RF-7s for just 2
channel music listening? So far I'm considering the Rotel 1080 and Scott
299-D.

Here's a pic of my current amplifier, try not to laugh.
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/rf7s.jpg
Bret Ludwig

If you want to buy an amplifier and use it i would go for the Rotel,
or any of the similarly priced products. Hafler makes many cheap decent
solid state amps as well.

If you want a DIY project, which is what the Scott is, as you must be
a hardcore DIYer to use it for any length of time, there are better
amplifiers than the Scott available. I wouldn't pay more than $25-30
for any tube amplifier such as the common HH Scotts, Lafayettes, et
al, that use high gain output tubes such as the 7591.

Clyde Slick

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Hello what amplifier would you recommend for Klipsch RF-7s for just 2
channel music listening? So far I'm considering the Rotel 1080 and Scott
299-D.

Here's a pic of my current amplifier, try not to laugh.
http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/rf7s.jpg

Well, the 299D will look much better, and you might
think it sounds better, too.
I have one, and also two Scott 233's, very similar to the 299D.

Bret Ludwig

If you want a DIY project, which is what the Scott is, as you must be
a hardcore DIYer to use it for any length of time, there are better
amplifiers than the Scott available. I wouldn't pay more than $25-30
for any tube amplifier such as the common HH Scotts, Lafayettes, et
al, that use high gain output tubes such as the 7591.

On second thought I might go $50-if I was gigging that night and blew
the output transformer out of my Fender Deluxe or Vibrolux.

Clyde Slick

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you want to buy an amplifier and use it i would go for the Rotel,
or any of the similarly priced products. Hafler makes many cheap decent
solid state amps as well.

If you want a DIY project, which is what the Scott is, as you must be
a hardcore DIYer to use it for any length of time, there are better
amplifiers than the Scott available. I wouldn't pay more than $25-30
for any tube amplifier such as the common HH Scotts, Lafayettes, et
al, that use high gain output tubes such as the 7591.

It's very possible that there are four Scott labelled Telefunken 12AX7's
in there. those would be worth $200 used.
The outputs, in good shape might be worth another $40
and commonly, there was an Amperex 5AR4, used, it would be worth
at least $30. And, of course there are the very hard to find Telefunken
6U8's,
wortth another $60 at least. You could be looking at aver $300
worth of tubes.

Generally, these amps go for about $200 to $250
and are very much worth it for a very pleasant and
musical playback experience.

Bret Ludwig

Clyde Slick wrote:
snip
It's very possible that there are four Scott labelled Telefunken 12AX7's
in there. those would be worth $200 used.
The outputs, in good shape might be worth another $40
and commonly, there was an Amperex 5AR4, used, it would be worth
at least $30. And, of course there are the very hard to find Telefunken
6U8's,
wortth another $60 at least. You could be looking at aver $300
worth of tubes.

I tend to apply Don Lancaster's 30:1 buy/sell ratio in these cases
which means if there is an idiot willing to pay $300 for a USED 12AX7
my cost can be $10 at most and that's contingent on a test on a
suitable tester (the stock TV7/U, an excellent tester , is
disrecommended for this type by Alan Douglas, who is IMO a lot
brighter than the people posting on r.a.o. typically) and in circuit.

Und so weiter.

Put 'em on eBay and take what you get. Or better yet sell the unit
minus tubes (or with new ones) and the tubes separately.

FWIW these OPTs are not worth parting the unit out but if you were
going to they work great in guitar amps. They are OLD-and OLD
transformers do fail. NEW transformers once past teething are far more
reliable.

Clyde Slick

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Clyde Slick wrote:
snip
[...]

By now they are 40 years old, so, if they fail, have they
been unreliable?
And i never said a used12AX7 is worth $300. I said that the total value
of the eleven tubes could be $300.
And as far as your 30:1 baloney, try finding a Marantz 7C for about
$80. Or a good used 2003 late model vehicle for $500