Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mikenews mikenews is offline

Default Advice re Integrated Amp or Receiver for Vandersteen 1 Speakers

Greetings,

I recently acquired used Vandersteen 1B speakers.

My Onkyo TX-3000 is not cutting it. After 25 years, it is due for
pasture, and thanks for the memories.

I'm on a budget and would welcome some advice regarding an
appropriately matched Integrated Amp or Receiver for under $500. I can
source used equipment, so suggestions need not be limited to current
models.

Thanks in advance - Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"mikenews" wrote in message
Greetings,

I recently acquired used Vandersteen 1B speakers.

My Onkyo TX-3000 is not cutting it. After 25 years, it is due for
pasture, and thanks for the memories.

I'm on a budget and would welcome some advice regarding an
appropriately matched Integrated Amp or Receiver for under $500. I can
source used equipment, so suggestions need not be limited to current
models.

Thanks in advance - Mike

J&R Audio in NYC (and by web/mail order) is having a sale on refurbished
Onkyo's and also on HK receivers, including stereo receivers. Power choices
run from 40wpc up to 125wpc if memory serves me correctly. I've dealt with
J&R and bought refurbished Onkyo's for a girlfriend and for my son....they
were inexpensive, good sounding, and J&R shipped promptly.

Harry Lavo

http://www.jr.com/

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"mikenews" wrote in message
Greetings,

I recently acquired used Vandersteen 1B speakers.

My Onkyo TX-3000 is not cutting it. After 25 years, it is due for
pasture, and thanks for the memories.

I'm on a budget and would welcome some advice regarding an
appropriately matched Integrated Amp or Receiver for under $500. I can
source used equipment, so suggestions need not be limited to current
models.

Thanks in advance - Mike

In addition to my other reccomendation.

Spearit Sound (in northampton MA, also big on Audiogon and eBay) has both a
NAD 320bee (used) for sale and a refurbished Rotel 1070. These are in or
close to your price range and are excellent integrateds.

http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mikenews mikenews is offline

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out these options.

I should add that my problem with the Onkyo was that it was blowing its
4A fuses with the Vandersteen's. Reducing the length of my 10 gauge
speaker wire to the bare minimum (I cut out about 16 feet) has reduced
the overheating and I haven't had a problem since.

So, looks like the TX-3000 workhorse will handle the load until it's
replacement comes in. This gives me some more time to shop.

- Mike