Jon

Default Fender Rhodes Mark I vs. Mark II

Hi

How significant is the difference in tone quality between Mark I and
Mark II Fender Rhodes pianos, about which I have read? Can anyone
point me to some examples of the difference between the two anywhere
on the internet? Do you think that the lack of the "sticky key"
problem I have heard about in earlier Mark Is makes up for this loss
of tone quality? In other words, should I buy a mint condition Mark
II, or try to find a Mark I?

thanks
DaveDrummer

The main difference was that the new top was flat, so you could add another
keyboard onto of it. A simple, but great upgrade. It also had a new black
design and a music rack..other than that I think they're identical.

Dave

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
Hi

How significant is the difference in tone quality between Mark I and
Mark II Fender Rhodes pianos, about which I have read? Can anyone
point me to some examples of the difference between the two anywhere
on the internet? Do you think that the lack of the "sticky key"
problem I have heard about in earlier Mark Is makes up for this loss
of tone quality? In other words, should I buy a mint condition Mark
II, or try to find a Mark I?

thanks

Murks

Hi,
How significant is the difference in tone quality between Mark I and
Mark II Fender Rhodes pianos, about which I have read?

The MarkI has a softer tone and the keyboard is kind of mashy. But I
prefered it over the MarkII
You should try both because the keyboard on both is quite "unique".

Can anyone
point me to some examples of the difference between the two anywhere
on the internet?

I find the examples of NI's Electic-Piano quite fitting.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?elektrikpiano_us

Maybe the software itself could solve your requests.

Hearp
ostaz

I have a MKII. Although I never owned a MKI, I've heard plenty of
recordings. My observation is that they are VERY similar in tone. The MKII
might be a little bit brighter but that can be EQed out. All in all, I love
the MKII, with its very functional flat black top and nice clean sound. It
is very heavy though, so therefore, it mostly hangs out in its case in the
garage!
Pete

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
Hi

How significant is the difference in tone quality between Mark I and
Mark II Fender Rhodes pianos, about which I have read? Can anyone
point me to some examples of the difference between the two anywhere
on the internet? Do you think that the lack of the "sticky key"
problem I have heard about in earlier Mark Is makes up for this loss
of tone quality? In other words, should I buy a mint condition Mark
II, or try to find a Mark I?

thanks

chetatkinsdiet

Funny this topic just popped up....I just picked up a little MK II at
a local salvation army. Missing the harp cover and legs, but in nice
shape otherwise....
I'd been looking around for a deal on one and was hoping to find a MK
II. I'd have taken either if the price was right, but really scored
on this one.
From my readings, the MK I's might be good or crap. The consistency
on the II's are probably better. One's more bell-like than the other,
but either can be set up to sound similar to the other...i think....
later,

Analogeezer

Laurence Payne wrote in message . ..
On 8 Jun 2004 22:52:56 -0700, (Jon) wrote:

How significant is the difference in tone quality between Mark I and
Mark II Fender Rhodes pianos, about which I have read? Can anyone
point me to some examples of the difference between the two anywhere
on the internet? Do you think that the lack of the "sticky key"
problem I have heard about in earlier Mark Is makes up for this loss
of tone quality? In other words, should I buy a mint condition Mark
II, or try to find a Mark I?

In the days when they were all you could get, I owned both (Stage
models). MK II had a useful flat top and was, I think, a little more
mechanically robust. The tone varied much more due to voicing that
to any difference between the models.

Quite honestly, unless you're running a vanity studio, I suggest you
synthesise the Rhodes sound when required. Excellent emulations are
available, and no-one's going to put the sound under a microscope :-)

The Rhodes had a distinctive keyboard action, but it wasn't a
particularly nice one.

I saw Chick Corea about six months ago, and he only had three
keyboards on stage (well not counting his little yamaha keyboard
controller thing he wore around his neck for some solos).

He had a grand piano in the back, and then a Yamaha Motif 8 sitting on
top of an 88 key Mk II Rhodes.

He played the Rhodes about 80% of the time, the grand piano about 10%
and the Motif about 10%.

What kind of sounds did he use on the Motif? Rhodes piano...

Analogeezer

georgeh

"ostaz" writes:
Agreed! But they are fun to play...if you have a roadie to haul it around
for you.
Pete

Piece of cake ... after you've helped haul the keyboardist's B-3.

ostaz

wow...not surprising though. He's the reason I bought my Rhodes and
Minimoog in the first place. Hmmm...maybe I ought to start hauling my
Rhodes around and do some jazz gigs on it, it's a real blast to play.
Pete
"Analogeezer" wrote in message
om...

. ..