Wylie Williams

Default CD Upgrade Question

I have a Sony CDP-XA7ES player that I bought when my AV storefront
was still open. Even though I have been in the audio business since 1980
I never really paid much attention to high end CD players. I only got
the Sony because it was a closeout deal when SACD came out, and the
bargain was too great to resist. Until recently I thought that it was
still competitive in sound quality with newer players. This view was
semi-confirmed when a friend came to listen to my Gallo Reference 3
speakers and he brought his Phi lips 24/196 player that he thought would
show up my Sony. While it was very good and showed that 24/196 can do a
lot for a much smaller price, after a bit of back and forth he suggested
that we continue with the Sony. So I felt satisfied with the Sony. But
then another friend loaned me his Audio Research transport and Pass
24/96 DAC while he went on vacation, and it was immediately and
obviously superior to the Sony.
So now I am trying to figure out what to do to upgrade. I can go
for a player or I can add a DAC to my Sony. But I have a couple of self
imposed constraints. First of all, since I still sell audio equipment
from my home as a hobby business since closing my store, I want to use
products that I can also sell. That is not so limiting a factor, as due
to the shortage of high-end stores in Saint Louis the manufacturers I
have approached seem willing to sell to to me. The limiting factor is
that I don't want to have anything that is over $1500 retail price.
Given how close the Phi lips came (I think he said it cost about $300)
that doesn't seem like it should be much of a constraint.
I would appreciate hearing from those RAHE members who have had some
experience with CD players, especially from those who have compared the
CPD-XA7ES to modern players.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store
Saint Louis MO
Harry Lavo

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message
[...]

I have heard the Arcam DV-79 DVD,DVD-A,CD player on a very high end system
playing both DVD-A and CD, and it was quite impressive. List is $1700 I
believe. There is also a lower-priced CD only machine which is well thought
of but I don't have first hand experience.

I second Stewarts belief that the Benchmark DAC for $1000 gives you about as
good DVD and DAD conversion as you can get...and if I recall, the Sony has a
pretty rock-solid transport (although I never cared for its sound in
comparison to others in the tests I did), so this combo might work well.