Default Randi/Atkinson addendum

In a recent post I speculated about the web source of quotations Randi had
from Mr. Atkinson, here is the source, you may have to drill down a bit
to find the specific posts:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/cr...ages/4266.html

And in response to randi's most recent commentary Mr. Atkinson replies:

http://db.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/bbs.html

It is intresting in both examples Mr. Atkinson avoids the audio question
completely and dwells on keeping himself "above it all" on grounds of
getting all the rhetorical ducks in a row. Which of course avoids the
entire question of the audibility of "tweeky" items, which one might
predict will be the course taken as the consequences are far more then a
mere 1,000,000 dollars.
B&D

On 11/27/04 10:47 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

In a recent post I speculated about the web source of quotations Randi had
from Mr. Atkinson, here is the source, you may have to drill down a bit
to find the specific posts:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/cr...ages/4266.html

And in response to randi's most recent commentary Mr. Atkinson replies:

http://db.audioasylum.com/forums/critics/bbs.html

It is intresting in both examples Mr. Atkinson avoids the audio question
completely and dwells on keeping himself "above it all" on grounds of
getting all the rhetorical ducks in a row. Which of course avoids the
entire question of the audibility of "tweeky" items, which one might
predict will be the course taken as the consequences are far more then a
mere 1,000,000 dollars.

Attacking the editor of a magazine is rather misplaced, I think. And when
under attack - Randi and his goons don't come around for a nice cup of tea -
is likely to get everyone very concerned about the exact words used, and
give as little infomration to them as possible because it can and will be
used against you if there is a mistype or misstep of some kind.

It is a shame.
Steven Sullivan

B&D wrote:
On 11/27/04 10:47 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

[...]

The only real shame is that audiophile culture adopts scientific jargon when
it suits it, but avoids, and even militates against,
established scientific *methods* of reality-testing claims of audible difference.

That's called *pseudoscience* in case you didn't know. Stereophile is
an example of a practitioner of same. Measuring differences, yes: double
blind testing of audibility of differences, no.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

"Attacking the editor of a magazine is rather misplaced, I think. And
when under attack - Randi and his goons don't come around for a nice cup
of tea - is likely to get everyone very concerned about the exact words
used, and give as little infomration to them as possible because it can
and will be used against you if there is a mistype or misstep of some
kind.
It is a shame."

The words are an excuse. The test, and it will never be done, is in the
main designed by the person claiming some ability, in this case ability to
hear tweeks. In fact, Randi is completely out of the loop in a real test
for the money, third parties of mutual agreement are in control.
Stereophile can silence all skeptics, win a million dollars, and have a
marketing boon that no amount of money can buy by simply demonstrating the
ability of those who do "auditions" in every issue and on which rests the
basis for which the mag is said to exist,ie. to provide a source of the
application of such ability to the benefit of the reader. Such ability
should be easy to establish.

"It seems to me that there is more than one agenda at work here - self
aggrandizement it seems to me!"

The answer is to ask who has the most to lose, Randi a million bucks or
Stereophile the entire subjective enterprise as valid. To make either
work requires tooting one's horn of validity.
Nousaine

[...]

You are exactly right. High-End magazine editors and contributors endorse and
help maintain audio mythology but none of them has ever submitted a replicable
experiment that shows they can actually "hear" the urban legends they claim are
present.

There is always some reason why they just can't do it "today' or that witnesses
provide "pressure" and they always have a 'reason' why the extant evidence
doesn't count.

Yet they cannot produce a replicable experiment or bias-controlled public
display that shows they are right.

John Atkinson is the high-end myth Champion. He did conduct several large scale
experiments in England that were intended to show that amplifier (and
capacitor) differences were indeed audible bit had not been shown to be such
because previous sample sizes had been too "small" as in 9 of 16 isn't
statistically significant but 90 of 160 would be.

Interestingly none of his experiments showed that his contention was true. Yet
he sometimes references his clearly null experiments as supporting his wishful
interpretation of same.

And, as you suggest, he clearly backs off the core of the issues claimimg that
he personally never endorsed ridiculous ideas such as Shakiti (sp?) Stones. Yet
he presumably edited the magazine and should be willing to stand behind every
opinion stated as fact in the publication.

But his contributors rush to complain that Stereophile is a publication based
on "opinion" which is apparently the case. But I just read the October 2004
Recommended Components List and the word "opinion" never appears in the
preamble. Of course, in the editors editorial that word does appear but with
the pull quote that "We HIGHLY recommend ALL components listed in "Recommended
Components."

So as far as I can see Mr Atkinson highly recommends tube damping rings, cable
cookers, Shakiti electromagnetic stabilizers, a variety of Power Line
Acessories and a variety of Stands, Spikes, Feet and Racks of which some are
described as being "Expensive but very effective according to J-10, WP and JA
who generally need them to support electronic components" without a description
of what 'effective' actually means given thqt the preamble tells us that "The
ratings given components in this listing are based entirely on performance---ie
accuracy of reproduction---...."

So do Black Diamond Racing Cones "effectively" improve accuracy of reproduction
or are they just an OK way to raise the component to the height you want? If
they DO improve the accuracy of reproduction what's with the dance? Why not
just prove it? And score a million while you are at it?

I know why. And you know why.
Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt

"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

That is your OPINION.

But it is a FACT that you are trying to compete in his chosen line of
business. So everything you say about Mr. Atkinson and his business is
influenced by that. And anyone who reads your stuff needs to be keenly aware
of it. I think you have been less than forward about that little FACT all
along.

Margaret

S888Wheel

From: Steven Sullivan =20
Date: 11/28/2004 10:49 AM Pacific Standard Time
B&D wrote:
On 11/27/04 10:47 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

In a recent post I speculated about the web source of quotations Ran=

di
had
from Mr. Atkinson, here is the source, you may have to drill down a =

bit
to find the specific posts:
=20

-
is likely to get everyone very concerned about the exact words used, a=

nd
give as little infomration to them as possible because it can and will=

be
used against you if there is a mistype or misstep of some kind.

It is a shame.

The only real shame is that audiophile culture adopts scientific jargon =

when
it suits it, but avoids, and even militates against, =20
established scientific *methods* of reality-testing claims of audible
difference.

That's called *pseudoscience* in case you didn't know.

No it's not.
Main Entry: pseu=B7do=B7sci=B7ence
Pronunciation: "s=FC-dO-'sI-&n(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 1844
: a system of theories, assumptions, and methods erroneously regarded as
scientific=20
- pseu=B7do=B7sci=B7en=B7tif=B7ic /-"sI-&n-'ti-fik/ adjective
- pseu=B7do=B7sci=B7en=B7tist /-'sI-&n-tist/ noun

When the writers of Stereophile claim that their reviews and opinions are
*scientific* then you can call it psuedoscience. You may as well call foo=
critics psuedoscientists.

Stereophile is
an example of a practitioner of same.=20

No they are not.

Measuring differences, yes: double=20
blind testing of audibility of differences, no.

That hardly makes the publication psuedoscientific. Not every opinion in =
this
world is or has to be supported by blind testing. They make no bones abou=
their procedures. They do not pretend to be scientific in their subjectiv=
reviews. If you are worried about biases affecting the reviews then take =
that
into consideration when reading those reviews. But jeez, do you think abo=
ut
this when speakers get reviewed? Can you cite any bias controlled listeni=
ng
evaluations of any speakers in any audio journal? This is the one compone=
nt
everybody agrees matters isn't it?

Steven Sullivan

Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt wrote:
"Nousaine" wrote in message

[...]

I'm pretty sure most posters here know that Tom Nousaine is an audio journalist.

AFAIK that's his real name, btw -- is yours really 'Margaret von Busenhalter-Butt'?
'Cos if not, by the same logic that dismisses James Randi's arguments based on
him using a stage name, one should dismiss yours too.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

Craig Ellsworth

That is your OPINION.

But it is a FACT that you are trying to compete in his chosen line of
business. So everything you say about Mr. Atkinson and his business is
influenced by that. And anyone who reads your stuff needs to be keenly aware
of it. I think you have been less than forward about that little FACT all
along.

Margaret

I have found one difference between Mr Nousainne's magazine and Mr.
Atkinson's.
Stereophile, in my not so humble opinion, is all for perpetuating an
industry.
They seem to me to have both the manufacturers and bricks and mortar
dealers
interests at heart. Mr. Noussaine's magazine, The Sensible Sound, is
geared more towards me being able to get the best quality of sound in
my home for my money.
Billy Shears

[...]

Hilarious. Yeah it's a big secret that Nousaine is an audio journalist with
views at odds with Atkinson's. zzzzzzzzzzzz..........
Billy Shears

In article , B&D
wrote:

On 12/1/04 7:55 PM, in article , "Billy Shears"

(S888Wheel)
wrote:

They do not pretend to be scientific in their subjective
reviews.

No, but they are pretending nevertheless.

I do not understand what you are saying - what are they pretending? To be
scientific? They generally don't - so I am not sure what the point is?

Well take a look at

http://www.stereophile.com/accessory...s/1004siltech/,

which was mentioned by outsor earlier. Some spectacular claims and some
spectacular money on the line - on a type of component that is, to say the
least, controversial. Let's assume the reviewer has made no attempt to
scientifically validate whether even an audible difference between this
$4000/2m pair speaker cable (or other high-end speaker cable in this
stratospheric price range) and ordinary lampcord exists. Then I would say
the reviewer is pretending when he writes that these cables are "open,
extended, and smooth ... The midrange was voluptuous and rounded, with
superior detail retrieval. The Siltechs' top end was beautifully extended
(after some break-in), and they had a particularly engaging holographic
quality."
Harry Lavo

"Billy Shears" wrote in message
In article , (S888Wheel)
wrote:

They do not pretend to be scientific in their subjective
reviews.

No, but they are pretending nevertheless.

If you are worried about biases affecting the reviews then take that
into consideration when reading those reviews. But jeez, do you think

about
this when speakers get reviewed? Can you cite any bias controlled

listening
evaluations of any speakers in any audio journal? This is the one

component
everybody agrees matters isn't it?

Speakers are an area where there is no disagreement that audible
differences exist. So if a reviewer says "more air" and "breathtaking
midrange" about a speaker, it's at least plausible. Although if that same
reviewer has exclaimed breathlessly on speaker cables, what should we

think
about his speaker reviews?

I really wonder if you folks actually read the publications you criticize.
It has been a long, long time since I have read in Stereophile or TAS a
review that was "breathless" over speaker cables or anything else, for that
matter. Usually the reviewer does his best to describe the differences he
does hear in context, and words like "subtle" or "only upon repeat
listening" or "only on direct comparison" are used. In the latest two-part
survey of interconnects that TAS ran (I believe it was TAS, if not my
apologies Mr. Atkinson) the authors talked about how difficult it was to
discern differences, mentioned that a great many of the cables could not be
differentiated, and discussed the differences of those that they felt could
be as subtle. They described the fatigue and strain of trying to determine
the differences. This is hardly "exclaiming breathlessly".

My feeling is that a lot of strawmen are being burned here by people with
preconceived notions of subjective reviewing from the very early days of
Stereophile and TAS when the "subjective review" magazines were in their
infancy. If I am right, the critics are hardly being objective or
scientific. And to the degree that the critics simply disagree with the
right of a magazine to feature subjective reviews, show me one that doesn't
rely on same, including Mr. Nousaine's "Sound and Vision" (not even done
well) and "Sensible Sound". The fact that you think everything these days
short of speakers and cartridges pretty much sounds the same and should not
be reviewed, reviewed only on features, or reviewed only via blind
comparison testing is your personal bias....it is a view that flies in the
face of the ordinary experience of the ordinary audiophile and is a minority
position. The mainstream audio review magazines are crafted to serve the
interests and needs of the audiophile community and they succeed on that
basis quite nicely, judging by their current circulations. It is a hobby,
after all, and these magazines do not need to duplicate the Journal of the
AES.
Billy Shears

wrote:

[...]

Read the Stereophile review of the Siltech G5 Classic speaker cable at

http://www.stereophile.com/accessory...s/1004siltech/.

This is from Oct. 2004. There you'll read "open, extended, and smooth ...
The midrange was voluptuous and rounded, with superior detail retrieval.
The Siltechs' top end was beautifully extended (after some break-in), and
they had a particularly engaging holographic quality."
Michael McKelvy

wrote in message ...
"It seems to me that there is more than one agenda at work here - self
aggrandizement it seems to me!"

The answer is to ask who has the most to lose, Randi a million bucks or
Stereophile the entire subjective enterprise as valid. To make either
work requires tooting one's horn of validity.

Randi won't lose a million bucks for 2, possibly 3 reasons. The money is in
escrow and he can't touch it. He can't lose the challenges he's made
because the things he's talking about make no difference that anyone can
hear. Probably nobody that he's challenged will take him up on the
comparisons. You can speculate on the reasons why.
Michael McKelvy

wrote:

[...]

One would guess that the reason they don't is because they have been
hammered hard about such nonsense.

Usually the reviewer does his best to describe the differences he
does hear in context, and words like "subtle" or "only upon repeat
listening" or "only on direct comparison" are used. In the latest
two-part
survey of interconnects that TAS ran (I believe it was TAS, if not my
apologies Mr. Atkinson) the authors talked about how difficult it was to
discern differences, mentioned that a great many of the cables could not
be
differentiated, and discussed the differences of those that they felt
could
be as subtle.

ONe would suspect that the reason is because they have been hammered hard
about such nonsense.

They described the fatigue and strain of trying to determine
the differences. This is hardly "exclaiming breathlessly".

My feeling is that a lot of strawmen are being burned here by people with
preconceived notions of subjective reviewing from the very early days of
Stereophile and TAS when the "subjective review" magazines were in their
infancy. If I am right, the critics are hardly being objective or
scientific. And to the degree that the critics simply disagree with the
right of a magazine to feature subjective reviews,

Nobody I know of says they don't have the right to publish those kind of
reviews, they simply disagree over their usefullness.

show me one that doesn't
rely on same, including Mr. Nousaine's "Sound and Vision" (not even done
well) and "Sensible Sound". The fact that you think everything these
days
short of speakers and cartridges pretty much sounds the same and should
not
be reviewed, reviewed only on features, or reviewed only via blind
comparison testing is your personal bias...

It is however a bias built on a foundation of reason. Subjective
comparisons without the ability to compare to a level matched, bias
controlled entity have been demonstrated to be unreliable and discerning
differences other than very gross ones.

..it is a view that flies in the
face of the ordinary experience of the ordinary audiophile and is a
minority
position.

Which is pretty sad. Why wouldn't an audiophile want the most reliable
comparisons made?

The mainstream audio review magazines are crafted to serve the
interests and needs of the audiophile community and they succeed on that
basis quite nicely, judging by their current circulations.

My suspiscion is, that most readers know enough about what they are reading
to discern the meat from the b.s.

It is a hobby,
after all, and these magazines do not need to duplicate the Journal of the
AES.

They only need to serve their readership, but that doesn't mean they
shouldn't offer the most reliable information they possibly can.

Michael McKelvy

"Craig Ellsworth" wrote in message

[...]

Speaking for myself, I want an advocate for my wallet and my pleasure that I
derive from high quality audio. If something that costs $10,000.00 doesn't
sound different than something that costs $1000.00, I most definitely want
to know that. I want it to be determined in the most reliable way possible.
If I choose the more expensive device for other reasons than sound quality,
that's up to me.
Alan Hoyle

On 3 Dec 2004 00:55:41 GMT, Billy Shears wrote:

Well take a look at

http://www.stereophile.com/accessory...s/1004siltech/,

which was mentioned by outsor earlier. Some spectacular claims and some
spectacular money on the line - on a type of component that is, to say the
least, controversial. Let's assume the reviewer has made no attempt to
scientifically validate whether even an audible difference between this
$4000/2m pair speaker cable (or other high-end speaker cable in this
stratospheric price range) and ordinary lampcord exists. Then I would say
the reviewer is pretending when he writes that these cables are "open,
extended, and smooth ... The midrange was voluptuous and rounded, with
superior detail retrieval. The Siltechs' top end was beautifully extended
(after some break-in), and they had a particularly engaging holographic
quality."

Was footnote 1 there when you looked before? Quoting the page:

''Siltech's website makes much of their "zero crossing recognition
theory" and how their cables are engineered to implement it: "Signal
conductance requires a minimum amount of energy expenditure. The
distortion this expenditure causes is small but in fact occurs a few
thousand times per second, deteriorating the authenticity of the
musical signal. Siltech has succeeded in reducing this micro-level
distortion by a ten-fold minimum." (footnote 1)''

again quoting the page:

''Footnote 1: It is fair to point out that if this effect exists, the
distortion it introduces in conventional cables is below the
resolution of my test equipment to measure.--John Atkinson''

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Harry Lavo

wrote:

[...]

Have you ever heard differences in high-end equipment in their ability to
create/pass a "holographic image". I have, and it is one of the attributes
that I look for in audio equipment (it is also one of the characteristics
that seems to disappear in A-B comparative test, a function, I suspect, of
left brain rationality overcoming right-brain perception). If I were in the
market for cables, I would definitely want to audition the Siltechs in my
system. Would I compare them to my existing cables and to Radio Shack
speaker zip cord (which I also use in places)..I sure would. Without going
back and reading this particular review (which I did not since I have no
current interest in adding speaker cables to my system) I wouldn't say the
prose is outlandish...the reviewer is giving a subjective impression which
he likes, which can then be looked for and either confirmed/denied by
audiophiles who rate similar characteristics high in their pantheon of sound
values.
Harry Lavo

[...]

Fine, that's what Sensible Sound is there for. Why belabor Stereophile
because they have a different editorial philosophy.
Michael McKelvy

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

Because they promote snake oil. Because allowing reviews like the one on
Shakti Stones to pass without technical oversight, and putting them on the
RCL is just plain old fashioned B.S.

Michael McKelvy

wrote:

[...]

Only from speakers. You're changing the subject. A Shakti Stone is not
high end equipment.

I have, and it is one of the attributes
that I look for in audio equipment (it is also one of the characteristics
that seems to disappear in A-B comparative test, a function, I suspect, of
left brain rationality overcoming right-brain perception).

Unfortunately there is ample evidence that your suspicion is groundless.

If I were in the
market for cables, I would definitely want to audition the Siltechs in my
system.

Having some backround in electronics, I know that wire is wire.

Would I compare them to my existing cables and to Radio Shack
speaker zip cord (which I also use in places)..I sure would. Without
going
back and reading this particular review (which I did not since I have no
current interest in adding speaker cables to my system) I wouldn't say the
prose is outlandish...

Of course it is since wire can't have that effect.

the reviewer is giving a subjective impression which
he likes, which can then be looked for and either confirmed/denied by
audiophiles who rate similar characteristics high in their pantheon of
sound
values.

The reviewer is giving an opinion on something which can't happen.

"Have you ever heard differences in high-end equipment in their ability to
create/pass a "holographic image". I have, and it is one of the
attributes that I look for in audio equipment (it is also one of the
characteristics that seems to disappear in A-B comparative test, a
function, I suspect, of left brain rationality overcoming right-brain
perception).

snip

the reviewer
is giving a subjective impression which he likes, which can then be looked
for and either confirmed/denied by audiophiles who rate similar
characteristics high in their pantheon of sound values."

Here we have in one example two of the most oft repeated notions of the
subjective enterprise. "I hear it, I really really do, don't you believe
me, don't you hear it too?" While confirming no difference when which
active gear is unknown, the usual "testing destroys what is there by (fill
in favorite speculation). A test suggestion, while changing nothing but
wire, for 4 weeks randomly change the wire a week at a time, at the end of
each week a report is made if the holographical perception was present
that week or not. If the poor brain finds a week too stressing, do a
month at a time. Then we slide into the assumed, but as of yet not
demonstrated reality, of applying the ability of revviewers to "hear" and
others to confirm, which of course is begging the question. Why not use
taro cards, can anyone prove it doesn't work and if it doesn't it is
because it stresses the brain and obscures reality?
normanstrong

wrote:

[...]

I notice that Atkinson includes a disclaimer about "microlevel
distortion", which he's never been able to measure. Apparently, even
John Atkinson has an bull**** overload point (about time, wouldn't you
say.)

Norm Strong
S888Wheel

From: Billy Shears
Date: 12/2/2004 4:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article , B&D
wrote:

On 12/1/04 7:55 PM, in article
, "Billy Shears"

(S888Wheel)
wrote:

[...]

This possibility exists with every subjective review. If you don't like
subjective review ignore it and move on.

Nousaine

wrote:

[...]

I think if you read carefully Mr Atkinson ONLY expresses a skeptical attitude
about the REASON given for the sound quality improvements. He still apparently
endoreses the idea that they DO sound different and better because the Siltech
products appear in the Recomended Components List in the same issue.

As others have suggested this is a clever technique that helps him walk both
sides of the street. First, he is not addressing the reviewers opinion that
these cables have special sound qualities, only expressing a critical attitude
about the Manufacturer's "reason" for these differences.

When questioned his MO may run like this: first he never 'personally'
recommended these cables and even expressed skepicism about the manufacturers
claims. But, when pushed, will likely then argue that he remains 'agnostic'
about the performance differences.

I'll say this, its brilliant high-end marketing from the editorial side. It
encourages the full page ad on p20, promotes the myth of cable sound, suggests
that sound quality differences can't be "measured", defends his reviewer, seems
to display a critical attitude toward the manufacturer and adds 2 new products
on the RCL. The only thing missing is a letter from the manufacturer thanking
them for the review and further defending their claims.

But, it doesn't really do anything that furthers the quest for improved sound
quality. Indeed it effectively promotes the urban legends of cable sound and
break-in neither of which have never been shown to affect performance one whit.

You might argue that I have a bias in this issue because of my magazine
associations (quite possibly) but on the other hand I have spent my personal
energy chasing cable and accessory sound most of the time on my own nickel. I
wasn't interested in arguing about the sound of things, not content to accept
opinion about sound quality perfromance without acceptable evidence about same
....remaining agnostic seemed to me resource dangerous and because bias
controlled listening was so easy to conduct it seemed unacceptable NOT to test
wire/cable/accessory sound if I were truly interested in improving or
optimizing sound quality of reproduced music in my home.
Billy Shears

wrote:

[...]

Well first I wanted to show that the language in a recent Stereophile
review of speaker cable indicated more than "subtle" or "only upon repeat
listening" or "only on direct comparison". I think that review is getting
close to "breathless".

As to A/B comparisons: So you think the openness and smoothness, the
voluptuousness and roundedness, the superior detail retrieval, the
beautifully extended top end, and the particularly engaging holographic
quality of the Siltechs - all of these could disappear in an A/B with zip
cord? I can't imagine such a thing.
Michael McKelvy

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Michael McKelvy" wrote:

wrote in message
"It seems to me that there is more than one agenda at work here - self
aggrandizement it seems to me!"

The answer is to ask who has the most to lose, Randi a million bucks or
Stereophile the entire subjective enterprise as valid. To make either
work requires tooting one's horn of validity.

Randi won't lose a million bucks for 2, possibly 3 reasons. The money is
in
escrow and he can't touch it. He can't lose the challenges he's made
because the things he's talking about make no difference that anyone can
hear. Probably nobody that he's challenged will take him up on the
comparisons. You can speculate on the reasons why.

I believe the same reasons apply to Richard Clark's $10,000 amplifier
challenge.. It should be so easy. Yet, no takers? IMO it's because no one
is
confident enough (or already have tried it themselves or otherwise know
the
truth) and to take the challenge would break that particular urban legend
bubble.

I suspect that is indeed the case. I think the ego of someone with the
ability to actually hear what these people cliam, would cause them to jump
at the chance to prove it. The $10K might not be a big incentive for some
of these folks but one million?

High-end and Tweak products are the equivalent of those motorcycles known
as
cafe racers. They look great sitting outside the coffee house but don't
ever
for a minute think the owners are interested in actually racing or testing
actual performance.

Shakti Stones and such are to Audio, what Copper bracelets are to Arthritis
treatment.

Mike Prager

Michael McKelvy wrote:

Shakti Stones and such are to Audio, what Copper bracelets are to Arthritis
treatment.

Well, arthritis is a debilitating illness, but audio is just a
hobby. There's a difference!

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA
Billy Shears

"Michael McKelvy" wrote:

I suspect that is indeed the case. I think the ego of someone with the
ability to actually hear what these people cliam, would cause them to jump
at the chance to prove it. The $10K might not be a big incentive for some
of these folks but one million?

I lean towards the objectivist camp but Randi comports himself so poorly
that I think anyone could be forgiven for not wanting anything to do with
him. Nothing IMHO can be deduced from lack of participation in his fabulous
"million-dollar" challenge.
Michael McKelvy

"Mike Prager" wrote in message
Michael McKelvy wrote:

Shakti Stones and such are to Audio, what Copper bracelets are to
Arthritis
treatment.

Well, arthritis is a debilitating illness, but audio is just a
hobby. There's a difference!

I'm involved with both and they have one thing in common, pseudo-science.

Michael McKelvy

"Michael McKelvy" wrote:

I suspect that is indeed the case. I think the ego of someone with the
ability to actually hear what these people cliam, would cause them to
jump
at the chance to prove it. The $10K might not be a big incentive for
some
of these folks but one million?

I lean towards the objectivist camp but Randi comports himself so poorly
that I think anyone could be forgiven for not wanting anything to do with
him. Nothing IMHO can be deduced from lack of participation in his
fabulous
"million-dollar" challenge.

Perhaps Randi's poor comportment is due to the fact that he had the prize
money waiting to be claimed for years and nobody has been able to win it.
Be that as it may, I sense no one from the Atkinson/Subjectivist camp will
ever participate in any bias controlled listening for any amount of money.
The entire subjectivist empire would collapse and they all know it,
regardless of how much they dance or how many excuses and rationalizations
they come up with.