Mark DeBellis

Jenn wrote:

Mark, what you write is very interesting. I'm current doing some
reading in the current and back issues of a scholarly journal called
"Music Perception" (University of California Press), and some of the
pieces there are applicable to our questions about audio listening, I
believe. I'll report here about what I learn, as I learn it.

Jenn, thanks for your kind remarks, and we look forward to hearing
about what you discover.

And also thanks to you and Norm for the recommendation of the
Netherlands Wind Ensemble, which interests me too.

Mark
Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Aug 2005 22:44:51 GMT, "Mark DeBellis"
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

No, you can't, and you certainly haven't. If you could, why haven't
you collected the $5,000 prize?

Say, what is this $5,000 test, anyway? :-)

Since there is a fairly high probability that, after enough trials,
*someone* will appear to distinguish the cables even though the outcome
is just chance --

-- in the same way that, if you flip a coin enough times, eventually
you're likely to get 10 heads in a row --

Indeed, but the 'subjectivists', despite all their vociferous claims
of 'night and day' differences, don't seem to have the courage of
their convictions.

-- why don't we get together, all enter, and agree to split the money?

Has anybody figured the odds, anyway? What does it cost to enter? :-)

The odds are about 20:1, by definition, and there's no cost of entry.
Given that the odds of winning the same amount in the lottery are much
worse, what does that tell you about the *real* confidence of the
'subjectivists' here? :-)

Stewart Pinkerton

On 28 Aug 2005 21:35:13 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

No, you can't, and you certainly haven't. If you could, why haven't
you collected the $5,000 prize?

Say, what is this $5,000 test, anyway? :-)

Since there is a fairly high probability that, after enough trials,
*someone* will appear to distinguish the cables even though the outcome
is just chance --

-- in the same way that, if you flip a coin enough times, eventually
you're likely to get 10 heads in a row --

-- why don't we get together, all enter, and agree to split the money?

Has anybody figured the odds, anyway? What does it cost to enter? :-)

Mark

It doesn't cost anything to enter, but then it also doesn't cost anything to
"contribute". A problem. There is absolutely no assurance that if somebody
did win there would actually be money contributed. And that's what
separates this little charade from reality. When they have all sent legally
binding promissory notes to an escrow holder, then we will know they are
serious..

I see that this is to be the strawman who provides the excuses this
time round. Given the relative degrees of honesty shown in the debate
so far, I personally would have no doubt regarding who is to be more
trusted in this matter. It would be those who have offered to put up
the money, not those who have persistently ducked the chance to prove
their beliefs, mock the objectivists, and pocket a fair wedge of cash.

As previously noted, once time and place has been agreed, there's
certainly no problem so far as I am concerned, about liquidating my
share of the money and placing it in the hands of an agreed third
party. Quite happy to provide legally biding promissory notes of the
sort that have 'In God we Trust' incribed on them, along with a nice
picture of that famous objectivist Ben Franklin..... :-)

Stewart Pinkerton

On 28 Aug 2005 21:42:08 GMT, wrote:

What DATA are you talking about? This is not and cannot be scientific
experiment. I am talking about my experiences and the reports of others
with similar experiences.

Excuse me? You made the very testable claim that you can hear the
difference between cables. Fine, let's test it.

No, it's not testable. That's the point.

Oh right, so you can only hear differences when you're not being
tested? How frighfully convenient................

According to current scientific theory (and as a student of the
philosophy of science, I presume you will not come back with the old
"but that's just a theory" line), there are basically three possible
reasons (assuming no mechanical failures, like bad connectors) why you
might have such an experience:

1) The electrical characteristics of those cables are such that one
attenuates the signal substantially more than the other, resulting in
an audible decrease in the volume emerging from the speakers.

2) The electrical characteristics of those cables are such that one
attenuates certain frequency ranges of the signal substantially more
than the other, resulting in an audible difference in the frequency
response emerging from the speakers.

3) You imagined that you heard a difference, based not on the sound
produced but on other things you knew or believed about those cables.

That's it. So far as I know, physics has discovered no other possible
explanations for audible differences between cables beyond #1 and 2
above. As for #3, the propensity of humans to hear differences where
none exist is well-established.

I'm not sure what electrical differences are possible. The differences
I heard in the cables' sound are hard to describe, but I'll try. High
frequency transients (e.g., brushed cymbals) seemed more realistic and
detailed, with more distinctness between events. Depth of image was
somewhat greater. Voices were more palpable. Bass lines were stronger.
The 'image' was overall more vivid, more realistic. Not only that, but
these traits were consistent between auditions and recurred over
several days.

Actually, what was 'vivid' was your imagination. You gave yourself
away completely with your statement that your claim is not testable.

Ban

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Maybe you have noticed that much of this mental noise

Cheap shot.

If I understand the point you go on to make, quick-switch tests do not
always involve the comparison of short snippets. Sometimes they
involve, rather: listening to a stretch of A in order to establish a
context, and then listening to a short portion of B, and evaluating
how well B fits in that context. Yes? Thanks, that's a helpful
clarification. But I think what I've said applies to this sort of
test.

The thing is, you have never done this kind of test and go on *speculating*
what might be flawed. I have done the test and have *experienced* certain
sensations, which I try to convey typing here.

This is how I'm listening to a test. I do not concentrate on certain
instruments, but try to hear into the space in front and around me.
And at the same time understand what the composer wanted to express:
his joy or sadness, his love, desperation, celebration, meditation...
Somehow also the musician feels the same and adds to the initial
expression of the composer his interpretation.

If we are asking what such tests establish and why, then it is
important to understand what the tests involve. But I think basically
I do: it's discrimination. I'm not sure why you think it's essential
to actually *experience* such a test from the point of view of a
subject, in order to understand why it shows what it shows (any more
than it is necessary to build a switchbox). You're not saying that
when a person experiences the test, he or she somehow *sees* that the
test is valid for the relevant purposes? That would be like saying, a
person won't understand why sighted comparison is valid unless they
experience the sound of the cables for themselves. It's not as if the
experience of the test establishes its own validity.

Yeah, doing the test you can see immediately the shorter the gap between the
feeds, the more sensitivity to changes is there. When you compare two
colors, you can best see the difference when they are concentric squares.
More gap, less sensitivity.

And all the psychoacoustic phenomena have been found by scientifically
testing not speculating.

If in order to do a quick-switch test properly, one would have to
understand and feel at one with the composer's joy, then the whole
idea of making this a repeatable, objective matter would be in big
trouble.

I descibed my way of joyful listening, what is so important for your own
argumentation. It is possible doing an ABX test without sacrificing your
joy, it is like always. The test situation doesn't need to change your
listening attitude.

And then when I feel like switching, the performance goes on without
interruption. The piece continues on the same spot. A little "click"
doesn't dusturb me, but otherwise it is important that both streams
are in sync and there is no perceivable silence. This is a quick
switch test. And what is short is not the music snippet, but the
switching action. Compare that with changing the speaker cables or
whatever in a long break etc.
Even a *one* second break is already disturbing and brings me back
into the brain... And you want to know how it sounds when *not* in
the brain.
This is how from my experience I'm able to detect very miniscule
differences between two feeds.

I doubt that your experience tells you, by itself, that if you don't
detect a difference in that experience then there is no difference
over long-term listening. That's a question of empirical psychology
that's not revealed in any immediate experience.

Mark

If there is a difference that is immediately detectable, it can best be
detected this way. To this category belong:

_ difference in level
_ tonal difference (frequency dependent)
_ distortion, intermodulation and other non-linear effects
_ soundstage, spacial resolution, imaging or whatever 3-dimensional
impression
_ what people call "lifelike" quality and similar unidentifiable desciptions
_ added noise, pops, hum

Some tests require certain conditions. To determine the threshold of hearing
needs a rest time at very low environmental noise levels.

So basically all sonic differences can be detected in a quick switch test.
Maybe the fatigue/headache etc. which is not related to any sonic difference
can *not* be detected. The question is, Does this combination
no sonic difference ----- fatigue
exist? I always found sonic differences to be the reason. But I can imagine
an unhearable but high level of ultrasonic sound would create headache and
even hearing loss. The same is true for infrasound. Luckily our speakers can
hardly produce any of these, they have already enough trouble with the
audible range.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Jenn

"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Ban wrote:
Jenn wrote:

Indeed true, in my opinion. Listening to music, for most people, is
largely a right-brain based experience. For good discussions of this,
see Gardner: Frames of Mind and on a less technical level, Kerman:
Listen. At the end of the day, I think that the left brain vs. right
brain ways of dealing with the world might well be the basis for the
heated arguments on this topic. For example, a person who experiences
music in a highly right-brain oriented way, would, I believe, have a
great deal of difficulty during the experience of a quick switch test.

I hope to experience such a test soon which will help inform this
thesis.

Yes Jenn, that is the only way.
Maybe you have noticed that much of this mental noise

Cheap shot.

If I understand the point you go on to make, quick-switch tests do not
always involve the comparison of short snippets. Sometimes they
involve, rather: listening to a stretch of A in order to establish a
context, and then listening to a short portion of B, and evaluating how
well B fits in that context. Yes? Thanks, that's a helpful
clarification. But I think what I've said applies to this sort of
test.

I also have a question: I admit that I haven't yet read up on testing,
but I will as time allows. Meanwhile, could you tell me if the testing
allows for listening to stretch A on one piece of gear (say, a 1 min.
excerpt), then listening to the same excerpt on another piece of gear?
Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
Ban wrote:
Jenn wrote:

snip, to focus on a particular piece of content

[...]

Mark, Ban's approach is supported by the findings in Oohashi's test that the
emotional activation of the brain in response to music in his test took
about a minute and a half to build or to dissipate. And it was correlated
with "quality of sound" ratings. Moreover, common sense and my experience
says that if you are to evaluate differences affecting musical reproduction,
the switch must be "in context" so the flow of music is not interrupted. In
my experience, such switching allows comparison of what the brain expects
(from DUT "A") in comparison to what it hears (via DUT "B"). Any
discrepancy is heightened. Without "flow" this cannot occur, especially if
part of the reaction is from the non-rationale areas of the brain. Switching
with syncronized playback using pieces of music that are more than "sound
snippets" are accordingly not peripheral to valid open-ended evaluation of
musical reproduction, but are essential to it IMO. And even this, again
IMO, should be undertaken as a "focus factor" after more extended, longer
term listening to the DUT's. For it is this latter that is most likely to
raise to consciousness the areas of reproduction that need investigation.

Harry Lavo

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 27 Aug 2005 22:44:51 GMT, "Mark DeBellis"

snip, not essential to following

-- why don't we get together, all enter, and agree to split the money?

Has anybody figured the odds, anyway? What does it cost to enter? :-)

The odds are about 20:1, by definition, and there's no cost of entry.
Given that the odds of winning the same amount in the lottery are much
worse, what does that tell you about the *real* confidence of the
'subjectivists' here? :-)

It tells me that we are smart enough for starters to want Escrow, Baby!
:-)

Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:

2) We could subject you to a blind test, to determine whether you can
indeed distinguish between these cables when you do not know which is
which. This could eliminate imagined sonic difference as an
explanation
(although, admittedly, it cannot confirm it).

Not to quibble, and I don't disagree with what you are basically saying
in this post, but aren't you entitled to claim more here than you do?
If he fails to distinguish the cables, then doesn't that confirm that
the difference he heard was imaginary?

Alas, statistics doesn't let you draw that conclusion. We set up a null
hyothesis--"You cannot hear a difference between these cables"--and set
a significance threshold. If he tops the threshold, you've disproved
the null hypothesis. But if he doesn't top the threshold, all you've
done is failed to disprove the null hypothesis. This has nothing to do
with audio, BTW; it's a law of statistics, and affects any statistical
test.

Well, hang on a sec though. Suppose it seems to someone that they hear
a difference between two cables. If the difference is not (entirely)
imaginary, then the person is detecting a difference. And if he is
detecting a difference, then we can predict from this that he is very
likely, in a blind test, to distinguish the cables significantly better
than chance. So if he does *not* so distinguish the cables in such a
test, that is evidence that the apparent difference was imaginary. I
don't see what's wrong with that reasoning, or why statistics blocks
it.

The other possibility is that the test itself as conducted interferer's with
the perception noted under other conditions.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 28 Aug 2005 21:42:08 GMT, wrote:

What DATA are you talking about? This is not and cannot be scientific
experiment. I am talking about my experiences and the reports of others
with similar experiences.

Excuse me? You made the very testable claim that you can hear the
difference between cables. Fine, let's test it.

No, it's not testable. That's the point.

Oh right, so you can only hear differences when you're not being
tested? How frighfully convenient................

It's 'DBT Anxiety'. Closely related to 'expectation bias'.

[...]

I never said this was a scientific experiment. It is not, and cannot
be. It's a purchasing decision over which you have no control, and
which is none of your concern. I have to satisfy no scientific
criteria, but merely my own personal preferences. If I hear a
difference, you are in no position to say I didn't. You cannot prove,
one way or the other, that I am mistaken. I am satisfied, given the
very high correlation between product and sound, that I am not. I need
not prove it to you or any other soul on Earth.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Oh right, so you can only hear differences when you're not being
tested? How frighfully convenient................

It's 'DBT Anxiety'. Closely related to 'expectation bias'.

Nope. Totally unrelated. Also a pathetic excuse. You wrote an entire
paragraph describing the differences between two cables, and insisted
that these numerous and clear differences occur every single time you
listen to the cables in question--and yet you cannot distinguish these
two cables when you don't know which one is in circuit?

[...]

Oh, yes we are. People frequently say that they hear a difference when
there is no difference to be heard. We can certainly say that they
didn't hear a difference. What distinguishes that case from yours?
Uncertainty. Without measurements or listening tests, we can't say for
sure that your two cables sound the same. But the uncertainty goes both
ways--you can't say for sure that they are audibly different.

You cannot prove,
one way or the other, that I am mistaken. I am satisfied, given the
very high correlation between product and sound, that I am not. I need
not prove it to you or any other soul on Earth.

No you don't, but you really ought to stop making claims in public that
you cannot support.

bob

I've been interested in blind testing for a while. I posted about this
earlier this year.

I think there is a fundamental problem in comparing A to B, in audio:
that humans naturally shift their attention to new aspects of the sound
when hearing the same bit of music more than once.

This is certainly true. But it is true for ANY audio comparison,
sighted or blind.

Of course. That's why I phrased it "comparing A to B"-- not "comparing
A to B blind."

And it ought to give proponents of "long-term
listening" pause. After all, a valid comparison requires that you keep
all variables constant except the one you are testing. But, in a
listening test, the subject is a variable, and the subject is changing
constantly. That fact can confound any comparison, if not properly
controlled.

I don't see what "long-term listening" has to do with it. This
phenomenon that one keeps shifting one's attention to different things
operates on the small scale and the large scale.

Suppose I listen to
track 1 of some CD, with amplifier A. Then I hook up Amplifier B and
listen again. Listening to A, I might have heard things like the
quality of the bassline, the smoothness of the midrange, etc. Then I
start to listen to B. I have been programmed with certain expectations
and a memory of the last details I heard--and, although I've
experimented with many styles of blind tests, I have not found a way to
escape those expectations. And, listening to a new piece of music
twice, I naturally hear different things the second time. Maybe this
time I hear the counterpoint. That doesn't necessarily have to do with
the amplifier--it is just a normal phenomenon.

Much classical music uses repeats: a section of music is played twice.
Why isn't this boring? Part of the reason is this normal phenomenon
that we shift our attention to new things.

Some of the 'objectivists' here advocate quick switching and using very
short excerpts. That does seem to get around this problem of shifting
attention, but on the other hand, one is no longer listening to the
music as music. I suspect that the audible qualities of equipment
manifest themselves in the experience of the music--in the way our
bodies move to music, in the enjoyment of the music, and so on.

I find that my body often moves to music played on a boombox. I
certainly enjoy music played on many different systems, of greatly
varying caliber. So I suspect that, except for unlistenable levels of
distortion, the audible qualities of equipment do not affect the
experience of music.

It's curious how "objectivists" and "subjectivists" argue about facts
and evidence and so on, but I often suspect that what lies at the very
heart of these disagreements is a difference in the *experience* of
audio, the subjective, un-measureable sense of what it's like to listen
to music on a stereo. For example, if you really mean what you say
here, that audible qualities of equipment (within reason) don't affect
the experience of music, then my own experience couldn't be more
different.

So is there any way to conduct a blind test that listens to music as
music? Perhaps the test in which one lives with a component for a
while, a component that is a "black box" of unknown make.

You, the subject, are still changing, and that would probably introduce
far too much statistical noise to ever reach a definitive (i.e.,
positive) result, even if your highly questionable hypothesis were
true.

You describe this "changing subject" as though he were changing in an
arbitrary and capricious way. My own experience, which again seems to
be quite different from yours, is that in long-term listening my
perceptions settle in, I get familiar with the equipment, I literally
learn a specific manner of listening in order to get the most out of
that piece of equipment, and discover its strengths (which may not be
obvious at the beginning).

In any case, I don't see how a long-term blind test is in any way less
appropriate than a quick switching test. It all depends on how you
model the human organism--model him your way, it seems to make no
sense. Model him my way, it makes a lot of sense. Your own experience
probably matches your own model, and mine matches mine---what an
amazing coincidence!

Mike
Jenn

Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

What matters, or might well matter to some, is whether the
information
derived from one source, or its perceptual effect, is the same as
that
from another source (in blind musical listening). Why should we
assume
that
this reduces to a matter of detecting differences?

Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really that simple.

Actually to be more fully correct, if a difference is not detected by
the listener under the given test conditions, then they must sound the
same under those conditions.

Actually, the qualification you added does not make my statement any
"more truly correct". What you were trying to say is that there might be
some test conditions where the listener could detect differences. If
that is the case, then the listener simply can detect differences under
those test conditions, and of course the two will therefore not sound
the same to that listener under those test conditions. Rather obvious,
is it not?

Obvious, yes, but left out of your paragraph. Your paragraph would seem
to indicate that if a listener hears no differences under a specific set
of conditions, then the listener will hear no differences under any
conditions. This, of course, is not a given.

I would then suggest that you are not reading carefully and are drawing
erroneous inferences.

Untrue. Your statement suggests that if a listener doesn't hear a
difference in a test, that for that listener, there is no difference.
That thought doesn't at all take into account, for example, test
validity or testing conditions.

Well, Jenn, try to read carefully now. snip

Uncalled for sarcasm noted, and unappreciated.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 30 Aug 2005 23:58:36 GMT, Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

If I understand the point you go on to make, quick-switch tests do not
always involve the comparison of short snippets. Sometimes they
involve, rather: listening to a stretch of A in order to establish a
context, and then listening to a short portion of B, and evaluating how
well B fits in that context. Yes? Thanks, that's a helpful
clarification. But I think what I've said applies to this sort of
test.

I also have a question: I admit that I haven't yet read up on testing,
but I will as time allows. Meanwhile, could you tell me if the testing
allows for listening to stretch A on one piece of gear (say, a 1 min.
excerpt), then listening to the same excerpt on another piece of gear?

You can listen for seconds, minutes, hours or days, the only known
difference is that, under controlled conditions where known small
differences exist, short-snippet listening has proven to be more
sensitive. We hear lots of hot air about the 'gestalt' of long-term
listening, but closer investigation *always* reveals that these people
already *know* what they're listening to. In other words, they are
using a 'sighted' technique which immediately disqualifies itself for
subtle differences.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Oh right, so you can only hear differences when you're not being
tested? How frighfully convenient................

It's 'DBT Anxiety'. Closely related to 'expectation bias'.

Nope. Totally unrelated. Also a pathetic excuse. You wrote an entire
paragraph describing the differences between two cables, and insisted
that these numerous and clear differences occur every single time you
listen to the cables in question--and yet you cannot distinguish these
two cables when you don't know which one is in circuit?

I have not tried blind testing and have no interest in doing so,
despite your vigorous protestations. It would serve no purpose.
'Serving a purpose' is very important to me. This is not an academic
exercise, but a purchase desision. If I'm satisfied by whatever method
I chose to use to help me decide, there is no reason for you to object.
It's MY money, not yours, after all. If I think the cables are worth
$100, that's my decision and it's final. If I think tghe cables are
better than the $50 ones I had been using, that's my decision and it's
final.

I never said this was a scientific experiment. It is not, and cannot
be. It's a purchasing decision over which you have no control, and
which is none of your concern. I have to satisfy no scientific
criteria, but merely my own personal preferences. If I hear a
difference, you are in no position to say I didn't.

Oh, yes we are.

No, you are not. Perhaps your hearing has not been trained as well as
mine.

People frequently say that they hear a difference when
there is no difference to be heard.

Impossible to prove.

We can certainly say that they
didn't hear a difference.

No, you cannot.

What distinguishes that case from yours?
Uncertainty. Without measurements or listening tests, we can't say for
sure that your two cables sound the same. But the uncertainty goes both
ways--you can't say for sure that they are audibly different.

That's correct. But I put my money where my mouth is. That says
something, certainly.

You cannot prove,
one way or the other, that I am mistaken. I am satisfied, given the
very high correlation between product and sound, that I am not. I need
not prove it to you or any other soul on Earth.

No you don't, but you really ought to stop making claims in public that
you cannot support.

I claim ONLY that I heard a difference whenever I made the switch,
and without fail. This sort of claim requires no support, because it is
a report merely of MY experience. Ever read Hume?

My other similar trials of products (CD cleaners, amps, etc.) either
did not show differences (consistently) or did (consistently). In no
case was there a product which on Tuesday performed marvelously and on
Thursday sounded like crap. Never. Either the product was better or it
was not, every time. It gave the same sound, every time, better or not
better. There was no vacillation, no inconsistency. That is VERY hard
to account for in any explanation that does not place the difference in
the product itself.

Whether I chose to buy a given product or not is none of your concern.

You describe this "changing subject" as though he were changing in an
arbitrary and capricious way. My own experience, which again seems to
be quite different from yours, is that in long-term listening my
perceptions settle in, I get familiar with the equipment, I literally
learn a specific manner of listening in order to get the most out of
that piece of equipment, and discover its strengths (which may not be
obvious at the beginning).

And how do you know you are doing this? How do you know that you are
not simply paying attention to different aspects of the music? Or, to
speculate a little, perhaps your brain is just taking its time
convincing itself that what it is hearing is different, even though
your ears keep sending it the same damn signal?

In any case, I don't see how a long-term blind test is in any way less
appropriate than a quick switching test.

Well then you might want to ask yourself why everyone who actually does
listening tests in a research setting uses quick-switching tests. What
is it that you know that they don't?

It all depends on how you
model the human organism--model him your way, it seems to make no
sense.

I'd defer to the psychologists and neuroscientists on that point. And
they're with me.

Model him my way, it makes a lot of sense. Your own experience
probably matches your own model, and mine matches mine---what an
amazing coincidence!

Models need to be validated with evidence. Where's yours?

bob

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
I think you are saying the same thing that I have been trying to
say,

I don't think so.

and you put it very well. It may be that there are differences
between
the presentations, but you can't detect them.

You certainly reduce your ability to detect subtle differences if the
presentations are far apart in time. That is why we believe that quick
switching is the most effective method.

It is others who have
(apparently) been arguing that if you can't detect a difference,
there
can't *be* a difference between the presentations.

If you cannot dectect a difference using quick switching under blind
conditions, while you previously could detect differences under
sighted
conditions, then it is very likely that you simply cannot detect
differences, regardless of whether there is any detectible difference.
What is detectible to someone else may not be to you.

And, of course, there are differences between presentations that
simply
are not detectible. For instance, a 0.01 dB difference in level.

By a "difference between two presentations" I would understand this
mean a difference between what you perceive in one and what you
perceive in the other, not just that there is some physical
difference
out there.

No, I simply mean some physical difference in the sound waves received
by your ears.

OK, thank you then for the clarification. I agree with pretty much
everything you say. I'm just saying something different.

What matters, or might well matter to some, is whether the information
derived from one source, or its perceptual effect, is the same as that
from another source (in blind musical listening). Why should we assume
that
this reduces to a matter of detecting differences?

Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really that simple.

Actually to be more fully correct, if a difference is not detected by
the listener under the given test conditions, then they must sound the
same under those conditions.

Thank you, Jenn, for clarifying the issue so beautifully. As Mark has been
arguing, the "conditions" of a quick, switch, comparative double blind abx
test are quite different from extended sequential monadic listening done in
a normal listening environment through various listening sessions. Since
listening to music is subjective and has a strong emotional component, we
cannot be sure we are hearing or measuring the same thing (Mark's main
point) and we certainly *can* be sure that "under those conditions" are not
the same.

Indeed true, in my opinion. Listening to music, for most people, is
largely a right-brain based experience. For good discussions of this,
see Gardner: Frames of Mind and on a less technical level, Kerman:
Listen. At the end of the day, I think that the left brain vs. right
brain ways of dealing with the world might well be the basis for the
heated arguments on this topic. For example, a person who experiences
music in a highly right-brain oriented way, would, I believe, have a
great deal of difficulty during the experience of a quick switch test.
I hope to experience such a test soon which will help inform this thesis.

Hi Jenn,

Good to meet you. I've been thinking about these issues for a while.
(I'm a tube/analog fan, although I'm giving digital a second chance
after getting my Rogue Audio Chronus and hearing the fabulous headphone
amp in that thing.)

I agree with you that a difference in personal experience underlies the
perspective of the two "camps"---or at least, I see such a difference
in the posts I read here.

For example, if you ask somebody to compare two pieces of equipment,
and they sound quite similar (that is, they aren't grossly different),
then I've noticed a couple different responses. Some people want to set
up a quick-switching test. This is like getting closer and looking at
finer and finer detail. Other people intuitively want to have a nice
long relaxed listening session with each thing, letting their
perceptions "settle in" and become focused on the unique qualities of
each piece.

It may be that each of these people has found a way to look closely at
the particular things he/she most cares about. And of course, different
people are listening *for* different things.

Mike

Mark DeBellis

Buster Mudd wrote:

And by "the kind of information that has to do with the longer-term
kind of memory" are you (once again) talking about Musical Content?

Because if so, that's *NOT* the "kind of information" that would allow
one to discern a perceptual equivalence between an SACD player and a CD
player...or between an SACD recording and a CD recording, for that
matter.

p.s. If a certain musical content can be heard through one piece of
gear but not another, surely that *is* a difference that is relevant to
audio, no? (What I have in mind here is, say, how clearly an inner
voice can be heard, and I think LP and CD do sometimes differ in that
respect.)

Mark

chung

Jenn wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

[...]

What you should have noted instead is the exasperation expressed in that
sentence. Exasperation that a simple sentence can be so misread due to a
perception bias, despite my subsequent attempts to explain.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 1 Sep 2005 15:08:26 GMT, wrote:

[...]

No Michael, you've only ever seen one *real* difference between the
two camps. Those who complain about quick-switch tests are invariably
the same ones who favour sighted listening - however much some of them
may try to disguise that fact. *That* is what really does make a
difference.

I have yet to see *any* of the 'objectivists' have any problem with an
extended *blind* test - except to note that many decades of
experimentation have shown that this is in reality a *less* sensitive
method of comparison.

Jenn

"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

[...]

But it needn't be that way, though the conditions would have to be
carefully controlled. That would be a study I'd like to be part of/see
the results of.

[...]

Hi Mark,

Generally on this subject of short-term and long-term listening:

What really matters to me is what it is like to live with a component.
Any test that compares two sounds (asks one to identify a difference
between them), whether snippets or whole pieces, is a different
context. And the shorter the duration, the further removed from the
context of normal listening.

In testing psychiatric medications, placebo-controlled tests are
necessary, becuase the placebo effect is real. What's curious to me is
that these drug trials are fairly short compared to the duration that
many people take the drugs. Of course a placebo can produce a dramatic
improvement in the short term, comparable to an effective medication,
but I wonder what we would find if we looked at the long term? Living
with a placebo, versus living with an effective medication?

In audio the placebo effect is real, of course. I know that people can
be fooled into thinking there is some great improvement when nothing
has changed at all. The stories one hears about this are always
short-term, though: a fake switch is thrown, and the listener gushes
about the immediate improvement.

I understand Bob's argument: science has put limits on what the
ear/auditory nerve can resolve. If it can't be resolved, then the brain
can't hear a difference. As I understand the science, the researchers
can take a signal, inject all sorts of small differences, and carry out
all sorts of tests to see what can be resolved and what test is most
sensitive.

This raises the question: if the tests all involved one particular mode
of operation of the brain--namely "comparing sound"---how can this
ultimate limit on the ear's ability be confirmed?

One thing I wonder:

If we look at the noise level in the ear/auditory nerve, it puts limits
on what can be resolved.

But the situation is different with a repeating signal. I used to work
for a firm that manufactured a kind of EEG machine for diagnosing
problems of hearing. The device put a repetitive click into the
patient's ear, while reading EEG at a point on the head. If you looked
at the raw EEG signal, it was extremely noisy of course, and no click
could be discerned. However, after averaging the EEG for 1000 periods
of the click, you could see a consistent shape representing the brain's
response to just that click. I think that information theory might say
that a signal with high redundancy can be transmitted through a noisy
channel.

I wonder how the scientific limits on the auditory nerve are related to
the type of signal?

Note that a repeating quick-switch test signal is in fact a signal with
high redundancy. Note also it is a signal with no musical content (or
at least, it is some kind of rhythmic pulse but doesn't represent the
music of the source signal).

Mike

My other similar trials of products (CD cleaners, amps, etc.) either
did not show differences (consistently) or did (consistently). In no
case was there a product which on Tuesday performed marvelously and on
Thursday sounded like crap. Never. Either the product was better or it
was not, every time. It gave the same sound, every time, better or not
better. There was no vacillation, no inconsistency. That is VERY hard
to account for in any explanation that does not place the difference in
the product itself.

I've noticed that too: that my personal, subjective reality behaves
consistently, and when I interact with other people, there's a lot of
consistency in how we understand each other. And, of course, products
often defy my expectations. For example, I had the idea that
tubes=good, op-amps=bad, but I just heard an op-amp headphone amp that
I LOVE. Likewise, the guys at a local audio shop disdain the use of
power conditioning on amplifiers and say it makes them sound worse; and
you would think that if it was all imaginary we'd just LOVE to hook up
fancy boxes to are stereos, any fancy box. That's certainly not the
case.

As I have said before, I think that a difference in *subjective*
reality underlies these disagreements. Another curious observation is
that the objectivists here take a low view of the
consistency/predictability of the subjective experience of music, and
that view happens to coincide with their statements about the operation
of the brain. It leads me to wonder, which came first? Did their
subjective experience lead to their beliefs about objective reality; or
vice-versa; or do they actually find that subjective reality seems to
clash with their objective beliefs?

(an example of the latter would be consistently enjoying their stereo
more with power conditioning, while believing it doesn't have any
audible effect)

Mike

Whether I chose to buy a given product or not is none of your concern.

Jenn

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Good to meet you too, Mike.

A person once said that me that there are two kinds of people in the
world: renters and landlords. I'm starting to see this discussion on
audio in somewhat the same way. It seems to be a left brain vs. right
brain approach to things. I have a friend who describes people's
different way of seeing life as digital vs. analogue, i.e. "on or off"
vs. "shades of gray". I look forward to putting more thought and
investigation into these matters as they might apply to audio.

Mark DeBellis

Hi Mark,

I've been interested in blind testing for a while. I posted about this
earlier this year.

I think there is a fundamental problem in comparing A to B, in audio:
that humans naturally shift their attention to new aspects of the sound
when hearing the same bit of music more than once. Suppose I listen to
[...]

Hi Mike,

I think the points you raise are very interesting. Here's what I'd
say...

Listening to music is a fantastically rich experience, involving an
active mental process. We want to know if two sources present the same
or different inputs to that experience or process.

A goal of testing is to come up with a repeatable and scientifically
rigorous way to tell if those inputs are the same (insofar as they
affect the musical experience; there will always be some physical
difference between the sources). The predominant approach, I believe,
is to have a listener compare the sources by trying to detect
differences of detail, with a mindset much different from that of
ordinary listening. I am not saying that this is a bad idea. It's
reductive in a way, because it tends to replace, for testing purposes,
aesthetically sensitive listening with something more narrowly focused;
but that's not necessarily bad, so long as all the differences that are
relevant to the musical kind of listening get caught on the narrower
kind. You can see how it is motivated by the concern for repeatability
and rigor. I do think it's worthwhile spelling out what are the
psychological facts the validity of this approach depends on, so we are
clear on why it is valid, or what limitations, if any, it has, or
whether the assumptions it depends on are absolutely or only
approximately true.

That's why I think that providing an account with the purpose of the
one that Bob sketched a while back (arguing that extra information,
beyond what a person detects in such a test, doesn't make it to the
brain)[1], is an important thing to do, and I think it would be
important to fill in the details of such a sketch -- as opposed to
simply asserting dogmatically, as I think some have done, that if a
listener can't tell the difference between A and B by comparing
details, then there's no perceptual difference, case closed. I do
suspect that the predominant approach assumes that small, undetectable
differences can't accumulate in a way that makes a difference to
perception, and I wonder whether that is absolutely or only
approximately true, or how we know it is absolutely true.

For what it's worth, I think that Bob raises a good point when he says
there are difficulties with a testing approach in which the subject
changes from one trial to another. (Can this be gotten around?)

Mark

[1]Date: 12 Jul 2005 01:51:06 GMT, Message-ID:

Mark DeBellis

Buster Mudd wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

I think you keep harping on this notion that our perceptions of these
two very different phenomena should somehow be similar. The phenomena
(musical memory & audio memory) are similar only in that they are
initially triggered by an auditory stimulus; beyond that they are so
dissimilar, both in their own content & in the methods by which we
perceive them, that to refer to them both as "information we pick up in
this way" is to incorrectly characterize them. We *don't* pick up both
types of information in the same way once the auditory stimulus has
gotten past the ear.

I have no idea if our perceptions of them should be similar or
different, but given that we have tests for one kind of information,
how are we entitled to rely on those tests to tell us that there are no
differences in the other kind of information?

We're not; but has anyone claimed otherwise? I don't recall anyone in
rec.audio.high-end ever asserting that tests...be they ABX, DBT, quick
switch, slow switch, monadic, any kind of tests at all...could or
couldn't determine differences in our perceptions of *musical content*.

Every reference to using statistical testing to identify perceived or
imagined differences I've come across here has been pertaining to sonic
attributes of audio components.

It was the example of SACD vs. CD that I started with, so let me return
to that. I thought the idea was that certain tests could tell us that
SACD and CD are perceptually equivalent (if they are).

For clarity, I trust you won't mind if I rephrase that supposition as
"certain tests could tell us whether or not SACD and CD are
perceptually equivalent"? Because that is what you're saying, right?

If the tests
don't tell us that there are no differences in the kind of information
that has to do with the longer-term kind of memory, how do they show
perceptual equivalence?

And by "the kind of information that has to do with the longer-term
kind of memory" are you (once again) talking about Musical Content?

Because if so, that's *NOT* the "kind of information" that would allow
one to discern a perceptual equivalence between an SACD player and a CD
player...or between an SACD recording and a CD recording, for that
matter.

As far as I can see, there could be information that we have that
depends on longer-term memory that's not the sort of information about
musical content you're referring to. They could both depend on
longer-term memory.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Ban wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

If you're asking me (?), that kind of test is possible, but it's less
sensitive to (certain) differences than the sort of test described
previously. (I think the problem is that it's hard to remember things
from one stretch to the next.) As I understand it, the term
"quick-switch" test does not apply to it. Obviously, others are much
better qualified to answer this than I am.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Ban wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Maybe you have noticed that much of this mental noise

Cheap shot.

If I understand the point you go on to make, quick-switch tests do not
always involve the comparison of short snippets. Sometimes they
involve, rather: listening to a stretch of A in order to establish a
context, and then listening to a short portion of B, and evaluating
how well B fits in that context. Yes? Thanks, that's a helpful
clarification. But I think what I've said applies to this sort of
test.

The thing is, you have never done this kind of test and go on *speculating*
what might be flawed. I have done the test and have *experienced* certain
sensations, which I try to convey typing here.

You make it sound as if not having actually been the subject of such a
test disqualifies me from writing about this in some way, but whether
the tests demonstrate perceptual equivalence is not something that can
simply be read off from the "sensations."

[...]

But it seems to me this begs the question, because it assumes that
greater sensitivity for making direct perceptual discriminations by
itself establishes perceptual equivalence over longer spans.

[...]

How does that conclusion follow? (Do you mean all sonic differences,
no matter how small? Or do you mean sonic differences of all *types*,
though not arbitrarily small ones?)

Maybe the fatigue/headache etc. which is not related to any sonic difference
can *not* be detected. The question is, Does this combination
no sonic difference ----- fatigue
exist? I always found sonic differences to be the reason. But I can imagine
an unhearable but high level of ultrasonic sound would create headache and
even hearing loss. The same is true for infrasound. Luckily our speakers can
hardly produce any of these, they have already enough trouble with the
audible range.

This is not exactly a comforting level of demonstration. Maybe there
can be other exceptions you haven't imagined yet, that don't turn out
to be so fortunate?

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Ban wrote:
Jenn wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. I would just say that establishing a context in a
quick-switch test doesn't automatically ensure its validity, either,
because the question is how to rule out the possibility that the first
minute of source A has a different effect on the perception of what
follows than the first minute of source B.

Mark
Jenn

In article , chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung

wrote:

[...]

You should have read what I wrote that didn't get approved for posting!

Exasperation that a simple sentence can be so misread due to a
perception bias, despite my subsequent attempts to explain.

I guess that we just have to, yet again, agree to disagree.

Buster Mudd

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

And by "the kind of information that has to do with the longer-term
kind of memory" are you (once again) talking about Musical Content?

Because if so, that's *NOT* the "kind of information" that would allow
one to discern a perceptual equivalence between an SACD player and a CD
player...or between an SACD recording and a CD recording, for that
matter.

p.s. If a certain musical content can be heard through one piece of
gear but not another, surely that *is* a difference that is relevant to
audio, no? (What I have in mind here is, say, how clearly an inner
voice can be heard, and I think LP and CD do sometimes differ in that
respect.)

If an inner voice can be heard clearly via one source and is obscured
or masked via another, that sort of difference would be audible fairly
immediately, without resorting to "longer-term kind of memory".

Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

I for one don't favor sighted comparisons (but then again I don't know
if it would be accurate to say I've *complained* about quick-switch
tests, or if I have gained admission to either "camp").

I have yet to see *any* of the 'objectivists' have any problem with an
extended *blind* test - except to note that many decades of
experimentation have shown that this is in reality a *less* sensitive
method of comparison.
--

If you say a test is more or less "sensitive," then the question is,
sensitive to what? The thought here is that there could be a certain

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton

On 1 Sep 2005 15:03:31 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

That's quite correct - so it ill behooves you to insist that they
sound different, when you have absolutely *no* reason to believe that
this is the case.

I never said this was a scientific experiment. It is not, and cannot
be. It's a purchasing decision over which you have no control, and
which is none of your concern. I have to satisfy no scientific
criteria, but merely my own personal preferences. If I hear a
difference, you are in no position to say I didn't.

Oh, yes we are.

No, you are not. Perhaps your hearing has not been trained as well as
mine.

Yes, we've heard that particular gem many times. These self-acclaimed
'Golden Ears' always turn to tin when you don't actually *know* which
cable is connected.

People frequently say that they hear a difference when
there is no difference to be heard.

Impossible to prove.

Actually, trivially *easy* to prove, simply by not changing anything.

We can certainly say that they
didn't hear a difference.

No, you cannot.

Sure we can - and we do.

What distinguishes that case from yours?
Uncertainty. Without measurements or listening tests, we can't say for
sure that your two cables sound the same. But the uncertainty goes both
ways--you can't say for sure that they are audibly different.

That's correct. But I put my money where my mouth is. That says
something, certainly.

Agreed, it certainly does................ :-)

You cannot prove,
one way or the other, that I am mistaken. I am satisfied, given the
very high correlation between product and sound, that I am not. I need
not prove it to you or any other soul on Earth.

No you don't, but you really ought to stop making claims in public that
you cannot support.

I claim ONLY that I heard a difference whenever I made the switch,
and without fail. This sort of claim requires no support, because it is
a report merely of MY experience. Ever read Hume?

Yes, but you don't know that there was any *real* difference to hear,
because you always *knew* what was connected. Get the difference?

My other similar trials of products (CD cleaners, amps, etc.) either
did not show differences (consistently) or did (consistently). In no
case was there a product which on Tuesday performed marvelously and on
Thursday sounded like crap. Never. Either the product was better or it
was not, every time. It gave the same sound, every time, better or not
better. There was no vacillation, no inconsistency. That is VERY hard
to account for in any explanation that does not place the difference in
the product itself.

It is in fact very *easy* to account for, the mechanism is known as
reinforcement, and you'll find it in any psy textbook. It has nothing
to do with the existence of any *real* audible difference.

Whether I chose to buy a given product or not is none of your concern.

Indeed, but your stated claims regarding 'cable sound' certainly are.

[...]

The interesting thing is how subjectivists complain about the necessity of
making a quick judgment when doing a blind test. Snap judgments don't seem
to be a problem at all when they do it sighted!

Norm Strong

Harry Lavo

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 1 Sep 2005 15:08:26 GMT, wrote:

snip Michael's comments, as I am responding to Stewart

No Michael, you've only ever seen one *real* difference between the
two camps. Those who complain about quick-switch tests are invariably
the same ones who favour sighted listening - however much some of them
may try to disguise that fact. *That* is what really does make a
difference.

No, we don't favour sighted listening, except as superior to abx testing and
other tests relying on short snippet, quick switch, out of musical context
listening. Those happen to be blind and extended blind tests at home are
very difficult to do. So we are left with long term sighted tests, with
sighted quick-switching thrown in a needed. We also think the "case"
against those tests being useful is strongly overstated by the abx advocates
on usenet.

I have yet to see *any* of the 'objectivists' have any problem with an
extended *blind* test - except to note that many decades of
experimentation have shown that this is in reality a *less* sensitive
method of comparison.

This is a canard, Stewart. Many of we subjectivists also support "blind"
extended listening...but in fact it is almost impossible to do at home in a
realistic way for a variety of practical reasons...inability to get long
term loans, the physical aspects of "hiding" the units under test" and need
for a third-party proctor. Moreover, the only switchbox I know that is
available to do single-person testing is an abx box, which is a
matching-identity test that is the furthest removed from ordinary home
listening and of little interest to most of us. That is very different from
being "opposed to blind tests" in general.

People frequently say that they hear a difference when
there is no difference to be heard.

Impossible to prove.

Denial of reality again. This is so trivially true, and easily
demonstrated empirically, that even many subjectivists won't deny it.
And if all you're doing here is describing a purchasing decision, why
are you so keen to deny it? Answer: Because that's not what you're
doing at all. More below.

snip

I claim ONLY that I heard a difference whenever I made the switch,
and without fail. This sort of claim requires no support, because it is
a report merely of MY experience. Ever read Hume?

Hume would easily see through your sophistry. You are not now claiming
and have never claimed only that the two cables sounded different to
you. You have consistently asserted that there IS an audible difference
between them, which is what you (think you) heard. You consistently
invoke your mere perception as evidence that this difference really
exists. And you consistently deny--not challenge with countervailing
argument, just baldly deny--all of the empirical work demonstrating
that your mere perception is unconvincing as evidence that such a
difference exists.

And whenever the heat gets too great, and the scientific facts against
you pile up too high, you retreat to your pose as a mere humble
consumer trying to make a purchasing decision, so you aren't required
to answer the scientific objections you have no answer for.

That's sophistry, and you are not fooling anyone.

bob

Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Ban wrote:
Jenn wrote:

snip to focus

[...]

Extended musical interval testing can be a quick-switched...the switching is
simply the speed of switch between two sound sources. If the music is
playing using two identical paths through an identical source, it can be
synchronized and quick switched. This can be as simple as adjacent inputs
on a preamp or amp, or as complex as relay-controlled switchboxes.

However, to repeat a section becomes hard to do on a "quick switch" but not
impossible so long as you are using a silver disk player and can quickly
return to a start of track while simultaneously switching other components
if needed (of course this assumes you want to start listening at the start
of a track. LP's are manual and switching will not be as quick but it is
easier to find approximately a section to repeat.). The other alternative
is to create an entirely duplicate source system and then sync the start so
one source lags a predetermined amount of time behind. This then requires
rigorous adherence to a "switch schedule" (e.g. every three minutes) which
in turn pretty much wipes out user control.

In my own personal testing, I do continuous listening, quick-switching when
and as desired. Then when I have "zeroed in" on what I believe is a
difference, I try to alternate back and forth on a shorter segment using as
quick a switch as is possible. I believe most people follow a similar
approach. It's usually done sighted; it can be done blind if you have a
willing and knowledgeable assistant to help.

Mark DeBellis

Buster Mudd wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

[...]

Yes, I agree, but one thing at a time. It *is* a kind of information
that can be relevant to a difference between SACD and CD, which runs
counter to what you said above. And I don't see what ensures that
*all* information that depends on longer-term memory will be
discernible immediately; the fact that information about musical
content depends on longer-term memory doesn't imply that everything
that depends on longer-term memory is about musical content.

Mark

Chung

Jenn wrote:
In article , chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
Chung wrote:
Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung

wrote:

[...]

Thanks but no thanks. What's the point?

Exasperation that a simple sentence can be so misread due to a
perception bias, despite my subsequent attempts to explain.

I guess that we just have to, yet again, agree to disagree.

You know, it is not an opinion, like whether CD vs vinyl sounds more
real, that we are disagreeing. You are simply not understanding what a
simple sentence like: "Because if a difference is not detected by the
listener, then the two sources *must* sound the same to the listener."
mean, and drawing the wrong conclusions, and then insisting that you are
right.