Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Beeb article TLW

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff

The bit involves a lot of use of terms like "intent" and "preference."

I remember the pianos from all those Brubeck records. That's
pretty much canonical now - people may not squeeze them that much,
but it's still a thing.

I can't reliably tell 320 KBPS mp3 from full linear. Perhaps that's
just a lack of training. Perhaps it's the playback chain. But in this
day and age, 320 is affordable for most connections.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 09/01/2016 23:56, Ralph Barone wrote:
geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

Certainly less misunderstood. The programme didn't even mention data
compression, apart from it's effect on delivery systems.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote: "I can't reliably tell 320 KBPS mp3 from full linear. Perhaps that's
just a lack of training. Perhaps it's the playback chain. But in this
day and age, 320 is affordable for most connections. "

Again, post processing will have far more audible
impact than method of conveyance(physical,
stream, etc), bit depth, sampling rate, or lossy
vs lossless.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

Certainly less misunderstood. The programme didn't even mention data
compression, apart from it's effect on delivery systems.

An unfortunate oversight. But even "data compression:" is not consice.
Data compression is lossless (ie FLAC, WavZip of old, or simply Zip).

What they (and most others) refer to as data compression is actually
"data reduction".

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 10/01/2016 10:56 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

I guess you better not talk about internal combustion engines either
then. :-)
The simple fact is it is up to the writer to explain what he is talking
about, and the reader to make an attempt at understanding what is
written. Both seem to be lacking in many cases unfortunately. Inventing
more words they don't understand is not going to help them.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

Certainly less misunderstood. The programme didn't even mention data
compression, apart from it's effect on delivery systems.

An unfortunate oversight. But even "data compression:" is not consice.
Data compression is lossless (ie FLAC, WavZip of old, or simply Zip).

What they (and most others) refer to as data compression is actually
"data reduction".

Not exactly, data compression may be either lossy or lossless. Even
"data reduction" is not completely clear, as lossless data compression
still results in a reduction of file data, if not recovered data.
One simply must use enough words to make the intention clear when it is
deemed important enough.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 23:56:15 GMT, Ralph Barone
wrote:

geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

The programme would have done well not to mention data compression at
all. It didn't contribute materially, and served only to introduce
some confusion.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luigi Luigi is offline

Default Beeb article TLW / 'compression'

Ralph Barone wrote:
The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

layman here... I've always thought 'compression' as part of the
recording process is also misleading (ie. it would be a third meaning),
as it leaves the initial attack alone and only reduces what comes after
the attack.

Or is my understanding wrong?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 11:36:40 +0000, Luigi wrote:

Ralph Barone wrote:
The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

layman here... I've always thought 'compression' as part of the
recording process is also misleading (ie. it would be a third meaning),
as it leaves the initial attack alone and only reduces what comes after
the attack.

Or is my understanding wrong?

Compression is whatever you make it. If the final dynamic range is
reduced, you have compression - there is nothing intrinsic that tells
you how it must be done. That would be an "artistic" choice.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/9/2016 10:18 PM, geoff wrote:
But even "data compression:" is not consice. Data compression is
lossless (ie FLAC, WavZip of old, or simply Zip).

What they (and most others) refer to as data compression is actually
"data reduction".

But "data reduction" is the process of sorting out data and making sense
of it. In physics class in high school (1959) the teacher always said
"and now let's do the data reduction."

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luigi Luigi is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
layman here... I've always thought 'compression' as part of the
recording process is also misleading (ie. it would be a third meaning),
as it leaves the initial attack alone and only reduces what comes after
the attack.

Or is my understanding wrong?

Compression is whatever you make it. If the final dynamic range is
reduced, you have compression - there is nothing intrinsic that tells
you how it must be done. That would be an "artistic" choice.

sorry, I meant specifically another technique that is also called
'compression', the one that is part of changing the dynamics of a
recorded instrument such as drums. It is part of the effects in a
recording console; so you would have 3 different meanings of
compression: 1) lossy coding 2) dynamic range reduction 3) compression
as part of recording an instrument.

I just thought if it does what I think it does, the last one should
really be called something other than 'compression', maybe 'attack
shaping' or so?
L.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 17:54:34 +0000, Luigi wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
[...]

Attack and release are the two main settings of a compressor and they
determine the sound. Applied to drums they result in kind of pumping
effect - taken to the extreme on Phil Collins "Something in the air
tonight".

Lossy coding is another thing altogether, and I wish we could find a
different name for it to stop the confusion.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Don Pearce: Lately I have made it a forced habit to
refer to the two, respectively, as dynamic compression
and data compression. Haven't had any misunderstandings
yet!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "So do you not differentiate between normal lossless data compression as
in Zip, FLAC, etc, and data-reduction schemes such as in MP3, JPEG, etc
? Or just put them in the same big vague basket ?

geoff "

For most conversations "dynamic compression and
"data compression" suffice. No need to subcategorize
the latter as long as both parties know which affects
loud-soft ratio and which affects file size.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 1/10/2016 3:56 PM, geoff wrote:
So do you not differentiate between normal lossless data compression as
in Zip, FLAC, etc, and data-reduction schemes such as in MP3, JPEG, etc
? Or just put them in the same big vague basket ?

For me, it depends on who I'm talking to and what they really want to
know. Those are file types (or "containers" of a sort) that are
independent of what data gets processed by the the algorithm that
produces that type file.

"Data reduced (or compressed) MP3" is redundant. It's somewhat important
to know what you're getting, or asking for, because presumably you'll
want to listen to the audio or view the picture, and not all systems
will play every format. For example, my friend has a Nissan
somethingorother that has a USB port as part of the audio system. It
will play an MP3 file from a USB thumb drive, but not a WAV file. I
don't know about other audio formats. I didn't read the manual.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Attack and release are the two main settings of a compressor and they
determine the sound. Applied to drums they result in kind of pumping
effect - taken to the extreme on Phil Collins "Something in the air
tonight".

And this compression, along with limiting, expansion, and AGC, are
special cases of the general class of "dynamics processors."

Lossy coding is another thing altogether, and I wish we could find a
different name for it to stop the confusion.

That's why I like to use the phrase "perceptual encoding" because it
both describes what is going on and why.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
Um, where did I mention anything to do with audio dynamics compression
above ?

geoff "

Never said that you did. I was
just spelling out plainly the terms
I thought necessary to distinguish
the two.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
"The two" were not the two I was clearly alluding to.

geoff "

I know. You were differentiating
between two subtypes of data
compression: Lossy and lossless.

When folks complain about the effects
of "too much compression" on music,
most of the time it is the most audible
form - dynamic compression - they
are referring to, albeit vaguely.

To help clarify such a conversation,
I would usually ask, "Which type of
compression: Dynamic(loud to soft),
or data compression, which reduces
file size"? Such probing usually
clears things up, without needing to
delve deeper into subcategories
of the latter.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/01/2016 2:32 p.m., geoff wrote:
On 11/01/2016 2:14 p.m., wrote:
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
"The two" were not the two I was clearly alluding to.

geoff "

I know. You were differentiating
between two subtypes of data
compression: Lossy and lossless.

When folks complain about the effects
of "too much compression" on music,
most of the time it is the most audible
form - dynamic compression - they
are referring to, albeit vaguely.

To help clarify such a conversation,
I would usually ask, "Which type of
compression: Dynamic(loud to soft),
or data compression, which reduces
file size"? Such probing usually
clears things up, without needing to
delve deeper into subcategories
of the latter.

It could be argued that "The latter" are two completely different
things, and one being a subcategory of the other.

One (ie Zip, FLAC, PCA, etc) being a mathematical process resulting
in output data identical to input data and is not specific to music or
image.

The other (MP3, JPEG, etc) being a process of perceptual-based data
reduction (sorry Mike) resulting in a smaller file-size, which apart
from the misnomer is the only thing they have in common.

geoff

Sorry - "and one *NOT* being a subcategory of the other."

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Sorry - "and one *NOT* being a subcategory of the other."

geoff "

Ahh. Another nit-picker in our midst. Loves
to stir the pot. Mr. Carson: the door please?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

geoff wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

geoff

The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

The programme would have done well not to mention data compression at
all. It didn't contribute materially, and served only to introduce
some confusion.

---

I think that discussing both makes some sense because they both make music
sound terrible if overdone, and they've both been highly used lately, but
they did flip back and forth between the two types a bit too much right at
the end.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Luigi wrote:

layman here... I've always thought 'compression' as part of the
recording process is also misleading (ie. it would be a third meaning),
as it leaves the initial attack alone and only reduces what comes after
the attack.

** Doing that results in an expansion of the dynamic range.

The old dBx160 "compressors" had a slow attack of about 25mS, allowing transients to pass unaffected while limiting steady parts of the programme.
The net result is the peak to average ratio goes UP, not down as you might expect.

The VU meter on the 160 followed the same characteristic, so hiding the fact from operators who preferred to believe their eyes instead of their ears.

Genuine peak limiters have fast attack and a fairly slow release to prevent this happening.

.... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 9:12:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry - "and one *NOT* being a subcategory of the other."

geoff "

Ahh. Another nit-picker in our midst. Loves
to stir the pot. Mr. Carson: the door please?

Interesting that Metalica approved compressed sound, but fans who found the RockBand multi-tracks mixed to what they felt appropriate!! Neat!!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 9:12:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry - "and one *NOT* being a subcategory of the other."

geoff "

Ahh. Another nit-picker in our midst. Loves
to stir the pot. Mr. Carson: the door please?

About the early 60's, 35mm film audio recordings gained SOME momentum. In general, people didn't care for the higher quality sound. However, on the rear of a Mercury Record 35mm LP, they offered a standalone electronic gadget for use with their 35mm audio recordings. Does anyone know what it actually was?

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...tintherain.mp3

Thanks.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/01/2016 1:59 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Luigi wrote:
layman here... I've always thought 'compression' as part of the
recording process is also misleading (ie. it would be a third
meaning), as it leaves the initial attack alone and only reduces
what comes after the attack.

** Doing that results in an expansion of the dynamic range.

The old dBx160 "compressors" had a slow attack of about 25mS,
allowing transients to pass unaffected while limiting steady parts of
the programme. The net result is the peak to average ratio goes UP,
not down as you might expect.

The VU meter on the 160 followed the same characteristic, so hiding
the fact from operators who preferred to believe their eyes instead
of their ears.

Genuine peak limiters have fast attack and a fairly slow release to
prevent this happening.

I think you have missed the difference between the point of a
"compressor" and a "peak limiter" then. Models like the 160 are pretty
limited control wise unfortunately. But a "genuine peak limiter" alone
will usually have a fast release, not a "fairly slow release". You can
use a compressor for that where necessary, usually together with the
peak limiter. Proper use of controls on both (where provided) can
provide audible leveling without destroying transients, or it can
provide real dynamic range reduction as required.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

[...]

** I mentioned release time because the dbx160 ( and relatives ) has a fixed and fairly fast one - about 12db per 100mS. At this rate the gain changes during speech and also low frequency sine waves causing audible distortion which a slower release would fix.

I saw a lot of dbx160s in the 80s and 90s being used in sound reinforcement - where they were expected to keep a limit on maximum levels and prevent amplifier clipping. To this end they were used with high threshold and ratio settings while the operator kept an eye on the yellow & red LEDs plus the VU needle. This was standard practice based on faith not science - the faith deriving mainly from the fact the companies like Clair Bros used them this way. But it simply didn't work and peak levels way above the threshold setting appeared at the output constantly - plus the gain pumped.

I know that recording folk like them for the sound effect they create, particularly with bass drums, which is essentially range expansion combined with gain pumping.

An ideal peak limiter has no effect on programme until the threshold level is reached when it instantly drops the gain to keep the signal peaks below the threshold. Normal gain should be restored in about 1 second when the incoming signal level drops below the set threshold.

Units that have independent threshold, attack, release and ratio controls are versatile enough to do many tasks, including sounding just like a dbx160.

BTW;

dbx160s had another endearing characteristic, they would enter switch off muting if the AC supply voltage dropped suddenly by 10% or more. The whole FOH system would suddenly go dead for 5 seconds and then re-appear.

Drove operators mad and they never suspected their dbx160s were the cause.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/01/2016 7:00 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor wrote:

[...]

Yes, the 160 is very limited in it's controls as I said. They do have
alternate ones with full control of attack and decay however.

I saw a lot of dbx160s in the 80s and 90s being used in sound
reinforcement - where they were expected to keep a limit on maximum
levels and prevent amplifier clipping.

Agreed, but a poor choice for that. Budgets usually dictate using
equipment that provides as much bang for the buck as possible, not
always what is actually best for the purpose. And those that select or
use it often have no idea anyway.

To this end they were used
with high threshold and ratio settings while the operator kept an eye
on the yellow & red LEDs plus the VU needle. This was standard
practice based on faith not science - the faith deriving mainly from
the fact the companies like Clair Bros used them this way. But it
simply didn't work and peak levels way above the threshold setting
appeared at the output constantly - plus the gain pumped.

Yep, no argument. Many live sound guys still do not have a proper
understanding of how the equipment actually works. If the threshold
setting is high enough though, gain pumping is often inaudible, but
agreed a faster attack is required for peak limiting. The real problem
with something like the 160 is people think they can do both compression
and peak limiting with it. The controls simply do not allow for that.

I know that recording folk like them for the sound effect they
create, particularly with bass drums, which is essentially range
expansion combined with gain pumping.

Models with gating even more so.

An ideal peak limiter has no effect on programme until the threshold
level is reached when it instantly drops the gain to keep the signal
peaks below the threshold. Normal gain should be restored in about 1
second when the incoming signal level drops below the set threshold.
Units that have independent threshold, attack, release and ratio
controls are versatile enough to do many tasks, including sounding
just like a dbx160.

Exactly. The 160 is pretty limited, not so all compressor/limiter/noise
gates on the market.

BTW;

dbx160s had another endearing characteristic, they would enter switch
off muting if the AC supply voltage dropped suddenly by 10% or more.
The whole FOH system would suddenly go dead for 5 seconds and then
re-appear.

Drove operators mad and they never suspected their dbx160s were the
cause.

Glad I didn't have one then, although I have used many DBX products over
the years. Not sure I've ever had to put up with a 10% loss of voltage
though, not that I know of anyway. 100% loss a few times! :-(

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

BTW;

dbx160s had another endearing characteristic, they would enter switch
off muting if the AC supply voltage dropped suddenly by 10% or more.
The whole FOH system would suddenly go dead for 5 seconds and then
re-appear.

Drove operators mad and they never suspected their dbx160s were the
cause.

Glad I didn't have one then, although I have used many DBX products over
the years. Not sure I've ever had to put up with a 10% loss of voltage
though, not that I know of anyway. 100% loss a few times! :-(

** Just to be clear, the voltage drop that triggered the 160's muting system was about 20V in 240V happening suddenly and maybe briefly. You could simulate it on the bench with a Variac with a quick wrist flick.

At a venue, where the AC power was being stretched, by the lighting rig coming up fast or the refrigeration system cycling on. Running the same PA on a modest generator or on board a boat was near impossible.

Of course, a simple enough mod fixed the silly problem.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Luigi wrote:
Ralph Barone wrote:
The world would be an infinitesimally nicer place if dynamic range
reduction and file size reduction didn't both use the same term
"compression".

layman here... I've always thought 'compression' as part of the
recording process is also misleading (ie. it would be a third meaning),
as it leaves the initial attack alone and only reduces what comes after
the attack.

Or is my understanding wrong?

Depends how you set it. You can do that if you want (and it's a good way
to make snares pop out). You can do the reverse too, with an exaggerated
decay and the attack almost completely chopped off. You can also set some
compressors so that they lock at level when the input is silent, so
you specifically avoid pumping up the beginning of each word or note.

There are a hell of a lot of really useful things you can do with compression.
There are, as noted, some evil things you can do too. Tools are like that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote: "There are, as noted, some evil things you can do too.
Tools are like-SHHHHH Scott!!

There are some on here who get really IRKED if their
trade secrets are revealed.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekkkma @ omnibus-brevis.edu wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote: "There are, as noted, some evil things you can
do too.
Tools are like-SHHHHH Scott!!

There are some on here who get really IRKED if their
trade secrets are revealed.

And dummmmmmmm****s are tools. There's one dumb**** here who lays the
whip to his hobby horse, but all it does is decompose, because he rode
it to death long ago. Norman Bates and his mother; Dumb**** Theckma
and his hobby horse. The hobby horse was rode hard and put away dead.

FCKWAFA. AASBDFTOC.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey, geoff, et al:
" thekkkma @ omnibus-brevis.edu wrote in message
And dummmmmmmm****s are tools. There's one dumb**** here who lays the
whip to his hobby horse, but all it does is decompose, because he rode
it to death long ago. Norman Bates and his mother; Dumb**** Theckma
and his hobby horse. The hobby horse was rode hard and put away dead.

FCKWAFA. AASBDFTOC."

See what I mean? This guy's obviously an
industry insider. But nice way for a "professional"
to act, eh? Probably does stuff to his clients'
projects without consulting them. Class act!
Too bad - you've been exposed, just by the
way you react on here.

guitar article hiruma333 Pro Audio 1 June 5th 07 07:46 PM
ISO LP Terminator article Steve Goldstein Vacuum Tubes 0 January 20th 07 01:17 PM
Did anyone see the article . . . . Jon Yaeger Vacuum Tubes 3 January 25th 06 10:22 PM
Whole article John Payne Pro Audio 2 September 5th 03 03:02 PM