Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Anniversary

On Christmas Eve of 1914, a prototype sound reinforcement system from Magnavox
allowed crowds at the San Franscisco City Hall to hear a caroling concert.
This makes today the 100th anniversary of the first use of sound reinforcement
for music.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24/12/2015 13:44, Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Christmas Eve of 1914, a prototype sound reinforcement system from Magnavox
allowed crowds at the San Franscisco City Hall to hear a caroling concert.
This makes today the 100th anniversary of the first use of sound reinforcement
for music.
--scott

Mode=pedant} Or even the 101st... Mode off

I wish you all whatever you would wish for the season. (Is that
non-discriminating enough?) Me, I'm happy that there will be increasing
amounbts of daylight for the next few months.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:
On 24/12/2015 13:44, Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Christmas Eve of 1914, a prototype sound reinforcement system from Magnavox
allowed crowds at the San Franscisco City Hall to hear a caroling concert.
This makes today the 100th anniversary of the first use of sound reinforcement
for music.

Mode=pedant} Or even the 101st... Mode off

Oops, that was a typo! Should be 1915!

I wish you all whatever you would wish for the season. (Is that
non-discriminating enough?) Me, I'm happy that there will be increasing
amounbts of daylight for the next few months.

I'll just be happy when all the Christmas concerts are over and I can sleep
again.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 24/12/2015 14:03, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
On 24/12/2015 13:44, Scott Dorsey wrote:
On Christmas Eve of 1914, a prototype sound reinforcement system from Magnavox
allowed crowds at the San Franscisco City Hall to hear a caroling concert.
This makes today the 100th anniversary of the first use of sound reinforcement
for music.

Mode=pedant} Or even the 101st... Mode off

Oops, that was a typo! Should be 1915!

Happens to us all... :-0

I wish you all whatever you would wish for the season. (Is that
non-discriminating enough?) Me, I'm happy that there will be increasing
amounbts of daylight for the next few months.

I'll just be happy when all the Christmas concerts are over and I can sleep
again.
--scott

I'll be peripherally involved in a live broadcast on New Years Day,
helping to transport the American Marching Bands on the London Mayor's
New Year parade, which is transmitted live and later on quite a few
American TV and radio stations. Then I can start hibernating...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

On Christmas Eve of 1914, a prototype sound reinforcement system from Magnavox
allowed crowds at the San Franscisco City Hall to hear a caroling concert.
This makes today the 100th anniversary of the first use of sound reinforcement
for music.

Interesting bit of history; thanks. Any technical details? Was it some sort of very
large diaphragm carbon granule microphone into a 10W triode amp driving a 7' long
horn with an overall response of 800-2500 hz?

Here is a slightly later pictu
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/83527768062487432/

Carbon button microphone, triode amplifier with a claimed 20 watts,
single compression driver and horn. Looks like a battery supply down
under the table.

(I wonder who first said, "I can't hear myself in the monitors...")

My bet is that it was the first musician who used monitors on stage.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/24/2015 9:03 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I'll just be happy when all the Christmas concerts are over and I can sleep
again.

I'll be happy when the radio stations put away the Christmas music and I
can listen to radio again.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers :

On 12/24/2015 9:03 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I'll just be happy when all the Christmas concerts are over and I can
sleep again.

I'll be happy when the radio stations put away the Christmas music and I
can listen to radio again.

I have to say that a couple of my local jazz stations put a much better
and more tolerable 'spin' on that situation. Better yet, they don't play
it non-stop like the commercial stations do (nor anything remotely akin to
the orignal versions).

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

I enjoy the season, but I confess that I'll be very happy not to have to hear the phrase "hoodie-footie" again until next year.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 25/12/2015 5:27 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/24/2015 9:03 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I'll just be happy when all the Christmas concerts are over and I can
sleep
again.

I'll be happy when the radio stations put away the Christmas music and I
can listen to radio again.

Or go shopping.

geoff

fun in the anniversary Wail AL-Nami Car Audio 0 September 24th 07 11:57 AM
Happy Anniversary Mike Rivers Pro Audio 0 November 30th 06 04:17 PM
FS: RBH 61 LSE (25th/anniversary ed.) Ron Persaud Marketplace 0 October 28th 05 03:55 AM
Anniversary Mike Rivers Pro Audio 0 July 5th 04 02:13 PM
Help with an Anniversary Wish for my wife Roger W. Norman Pro Audio 2 October 30th 03 12:07 PM