Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default News From Harvey Gerst

Harvey used to be a mainstay here, and his name came up in one of those
gone-off-track discussions. I realized that I hadn't heard anything from
or about him for quite some time and I always worry about people who are
a little older than me. e-mail to him bounced back from a full mailbox,
and I didn't get an answer a couple of times when I called.

I called him again today and his wife Karen answered the phone. She
assured me that Harvey is quite alive and, although slowing down due to
the usual things that happen when you get old, is doing well and keeping
busy. He was napping at the time I called, but woke up while I was still
talking with Karen, so we had a little chat.

He's still working in the studio and has started playing music for his
own enjoyment again. His MCI 536 console that I helped him install a
dozen or so years ago went to a new studio in Nashville through a
convoluted set of trades and he has an Otari console waiting on a set of
multi-pin connectors before he can install it.

Anyway, he remembers us and is happy to be remembered.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Good to know Pope is OK. I wondered, but frankly, was afraid to ask.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 28-09-2015 23:01, Mike Rivers wrote:

Anyway, he remembers us and is happy to be remembered.

Thank you!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 12:01:32 AM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Although I am happy that Harvey is still alive, I read this with a certain degree of sadness, like it's more in the words you aren't saying rather than the ones you are.

Having someone of that calibre with such a huge personality go off grid is a big loss.

I am happy though, that he is still OK, and if he's happy, better still.

Miss him though.

-Angus.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/29/2015 4:14 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:

Although I am happy that Harvey is still alive, I read this with a
certain degree of sadness, like it's more in the words you aren't
saying rather than the ones you are.

Oh, don't be such a pessimist. He's been off the forums for quite some
time now. He got a bit frustrated and got busy and learned to live
without all the fuss.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 12:56:17 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/29/2015 4:14 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:

Although I am happy that Harvey is still alive, I read this with a
certain degree of sadness, like it's more in the words you aren't
saying rather than the ones you are.

Oh, don't be such a pessimist. He's been off the forums for quite some
time now. He got a bit frustrated and got busy and learned to live
without all the fuss.

Some of the flame wars I remember back in the day needed an asbestos suit to survive....and made it impossible to have any meaningful conversation...

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Well thank goodness for that. Perhaps you can ask him to post here once in a while?

Excuse the pessimism, I've just experienced things happening to people I know over the last couple of years...And the full mailbox thing is not a good sign either...

Whatever happened to the irc chat group? Still happening?

-A.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/29/2015 7:29 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:

Excuse the pessimism, I've just experienced things happening to
people I know over the last couple of years...

Me, too, which was why I was concerned about Harvey. Most of us in our
70s aren't perfect any more, but we learn to live with our aches and
pains and try to keep our minds active. Sounds like that's just what
Harvey's doing. I'll encourage him to dump his old e-mail and drop in
here now and then.

Whatever happened to the irc chat group? Still happening?

Oh, gosh, that's long been gone.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:30:56 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
-snip-
Excuse the pessimism, I've just experienced things happening to
people I know over the last couple of years...

Me, too, which was why I was concerned about Harvey. Most of us in our
70s aren't perfect any more, but we learn to live with our aches and
pains and try to keep our minds active. Sounds like that's just what
Harvey's doing. I'll encourage him to dump his old e-mail and drop in
here now and then.

Please, I'd like that, for old time's sake. And just to see what he's up to..

Power to you. It's not easy to keep going in this business - how many times have you been on your knees peering behind dimly lit gear and felt the screw on the floor embed itself in your kneecap?

In the process of carrying amps and gear down a few flights of stairs, and then all the way up again after, I did in my knee. Took me a few days to recover, and I'm a great deal younger!

Whatever happened to the irc chat group? Still happening?

Oh, gosh, that's long been gone.

Time for a revival?

-Angus.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

Talking about others from back in the day?

CN Fletcher?
Hank Alrich?

And Greg, the guy who developed the Really Nice Compressor?

They all helped (and entertained) me.

-Angus
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/29/2015 10:23 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
Talking about others from back in the day?

CN Fletcher?
Hank Alrich?

And Greg, the guy who developed the Really Nice Compressor?

I think Fletcher is living in Germany now, but that could be old news. I
know he closed up shop in the Boston area and was working with the
Telefunken USA folks for a while.

Hank has pretty much given up on rec.audio.pro but posts occasionally on
http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/

The RNC guy is Marc McQuilkin. He's still making gear and recently
released 500-series module versions of the RNC and RNLA. Might you be
thinking of Greg Gualtieri of Pendulum Audio and now also together with
Dave Amels (formerly of Bomb Factory) as AnaMod Audio? I haven't seen
any of those guys on here in quite a while.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers :

On 9/29/2015 10:23 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:
Talking about others from back in the day?

CN Fletcher?
Hank Alrich?

And Greg, the guy who developed the Really Nice Compressor?

I think Fletcher is living in Germany now, but that could be old news. I
know he closed up shop in the Boston area and was working with the
Telefunken USA folks for a while.

Hank has pretty much given up on rec.audio.pro but posts occasionally on
http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/

The RNC guy is Marc McQuilkin. He's still making gear and recently
released 500-series module versions of the RNC and RNLA. Might you be
thinking of Greg Gualtieri of Pendulum Audio and now also together with
Dave Amels (formerly of Bomb Factory) as AnaMod Audio? I haven't seen
any of those guys on here in quite a while.

Last I saw, Fletcher left Telefunken and went to SoundPure in Durham, NC
for abour a year, then left for an olive oil company. I think he's doing
consulting now under his own 'CNF' banner.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/29/2015 7:29 AM, Angus Kerr wrote:

Excuse the pessimism, I've just experienced things happening to
people I know over the last couple of years...

Me, too, which was why I was concerned about Harvey. Most of us in our
70s aren't perfect any more, but we learn to live with our aches and
pains and try to keep our minds active. Sounds like that's just what
Harvey's doing. I'll encourage him to dump his old e-mail and drop in
here now and then.

Whatever happened to the irc chat group? Still happening?

Oh, gosh, that's long been gone.

It is, although there is still a ##stagecraft on freenode which has some
of the live sound kids. It's often interesting, and certainly a different
perspective.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Angus Kerr wrote:
Talking about others from back in the day?

CN Fletcher?

Fletcher got divorced and retired. He turns up now and then at conferences
and events but I don't think he's doing any production work.

Hank Alrich?

http://hankandshaidrimusic.com

Not touring so much anymore but he's playing.

And Greg, the guy who developed the Really Nice Compressor?

He developed the Really Nice Preamp and then the Really Nice Limiter. He's
doing all this stuff as side jobs from his contract manufacturing operation
still, so the Really Nice Equalizer has been delayed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] barilee60@gmail.com is offline

I was just combing through some of the earlier threads, looking for names I recognized from my years with this group back in the 90s, and came across this thread. Hank, Mike, Scott, Harvey, and Fletcher were ALL very helpful to me, maybe more than they realize. Fletcher helped lighten my wallet by thousands of dollars.. .. and he made sure that every penny counted. Great, knowledgeable guy. Lyle Caldwell had me fly down to Memphis to record the piano tracks for one of his projects, and I really enjoyed meeting him. The feedback from others on the tracks on our collections back then ("A Bohemian RAP CD" 6 disc set and the 4 disc rec.audio.pro compilation before that in the summer of 1998) was a wonderful help, and it was really interesting to get to know each other's work... to put the music and sounds with the names.

Great memories of so many of you, and SO good to see so many still here. I'll have to contact Hank through his website.

All the best..

Barry
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 6:01:32 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
Harvey used to be a mainstay here, and his name came up in one of those
gone-off-track discussions. I realized that I hadn't heard anything from
or about him for quite some time and I always worry about people who are
a little older than me.

Older than you?! Thought that's an impossibility!!
I've met many people, even in person, via usenet.
One regular guy we teased in a graphics group, suddenly disappeared, read he RIPed!

Jack