Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Schoeps microphone cable

Hi,

I have a Schoeps M221B and N20B PSU I need to make a cable for.
It's a 6-pin DIN connector.
(looks like this part and its male equivalent will fit)

http://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/kv60/s...tedCategoryId=

Can anyone point to a source for some appropriate cable? It'd be good to be able to find a nice rubber covered cable of the right size, rather than some generic multi.

I am in the UK.

Cheers,

Gareth.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

gareth magennis wrote:

I have a Schoeps M221B and N20B PSU I need to make a cable for.
It's a 6-pin DIN connector.
(looks like this part and its male equivalent will fit)

http://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/kv60/s...tedCategoryId=

Can anyone point to a source for some appropriate cable? It'd be good to be able to find a nice rubber covered cable of the right size, rather than some generic multi.

Mogami W3172 or Gotham GAC-7. Both are good quality cables and have two
slightly larger conductors for the filament supply. Both have served shields,
though, so don't run a piano over them.

If you want a natural rubber cable that looks and smells like the original did,
I believe Belden still makes one. It won't be as stable as the Mogami over the
long term, I think.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Oh, and if anyone knows what the big 3-pin female output connector is called or where one might get one, it would be appreciated.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/schoeps...raet_n20b.html
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
gareth magennis wrote:
Oh, and if anyone knows what the big 3-pin female output connector is called or where one might get one, it would be appreciated.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/schoeps...raet_n20b.html

That is a Tuchel T6 series connector. I have never seen one on a Schoeps,
though. All the N20 supplies I have seen in the US had XLR connectors on them.

I'd write Schoeps and ask Bernhard Vollmer. He'll probably try to sell you
one of the modern replacement supplies, mind you.

My inclination would be to replace it with an XLR if you intend on actually
using the microphone rather than putting it behind glass, but do keep the
original connector. Don't cut into the case; just fit an adaptor plate over
the hole so that the case is undamaged.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Maybe see if Schoeps can help?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

In article ,
gareth magennis wrote:
Oh, and if anyone knows what the big 3-pin female output connector is
called or where one might get one, it would be appreciated.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/schoeps...raet_n20b.html

That is a Tuchel T6 series connector. I have never seen one on a Schoeps,
though. All the N20 supplies I have seen in the US had XLR connectors on
them.

I'd write Schoeps and ask Bernhard Vollmer. He'll probably try to sell you
one of the modern replacement supplies, mind you.

My inclination would be to replace it with an XLR if you intend on actually
using the microphone rather than putting it behind glass, but do keep the
original connector. Don't cut into the case; just fit an adaptor plate over
the hole so that the case is undamaged.
--scott

Thanks very much for the info, Canford in the UK sell the Mogami cable,
that's very good to know.

Is this really a museum piece? It belongs to a slightly eccentric local
resident.
He has a lot more stuff and is well into Nagra's.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 25/11/2015 9:53 a.m., Gareth Magennis wrote:

Is this really a museum piece? It belongs to a slightly eccentric
local resident.
He has a lot more stuff and is well into Nagra's.

Nagras ? Hell - that *is* eccentric ;-)

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:
My inclination would be to replace it with an XLR if you intend on actually
using the microphone rather than putting it behind glass, but do keep the
original connector. Don't cut into the case; just fit an adaptor plate over
the hole so that the case is undamaged.

Thanks very much for the info, Canford in the UK sell the Mogami cable,
that's very good to know.

It's good cable. I've used it for years. At one point I did a shootout
between a bunch of tube microphone cables and the results were basically
inconclusive except that some brands were hard to terminate and one (B&K)
had the signal lead additionally shielded for less capacitive coupling
between the power and signal.

Is this really a museum piece? It belongs to a slightly eccentric local
resident.
He has a lot more stuff and is well into Nagra's.

It's hard to tell what is a museum piece and what isn't these days, so I
tend to take the most conservative approach. The RCA 77s that I got out of
dumpsters as a kid turn out to be worth money now. Go figure. They still
aren't any good except in figure-8 mode.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Reinhard Zwirner[_2_] Reinhard Zwirner[_2_] is offline

gareth magennis schrieb:
Oh, and if anyone knows what the big 3-pin female output connector is called or where one might get one, it would be appreciated.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/schoeps...raet_n20b.html

A few days ago I sent you an offer but haven't got a reply till
today. Aren't you interested in such a connector (NOS) any more? Of
course I'll send you a photo.

CU, best regards

Reinhard

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Reinhard Zwirner" wrote in message

gareth magennis schrieb:
Oh, and if anyone knows what the big 3-pin female output connector is
called or where one might get one, it would be appreciated.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/schoeps...raet_n20b.html

A few days ago I sent you an offer but haven't got a reply till
today. Aren't you interested in such a connector (NOS) any more? Of
course I'll send you a photo.

CU, best regards

Reinhard

No thanks, as well as a few more things missing from the PSU, once I'd
hacked it and bodged a cable to test the mic, it turned out the (switched
omni/cardiod) capsule is faulty.

The owner has decided to just sell what he has, as is.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

A few days ago I sent you an offer but haven't got a reply till
today. Aren't you interested in such a connector (NOS) any more? Of
course I'll send you a photo.

So what do you call those other than a 6T series? We never really got many
of the proprietary European types here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:

No thanks, as well as a few more things missing from the PSU, once I'd
hacked it and bodged a cable to test the mic, it turned out the (switched
omni/cardiod) capsule is faulty.

The power supply is easy to fix.... the capsule is unrepairable if the
diaphragm is damaged. How faulty is it?

The owner has decided to just sell what he has, as is.

For how much, where? Perhaps the new buyer will need a connector....
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey schrieb:
Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

A few days ago I sent you an offer but haven't got a reply till
today. Aren't you interested in such a connector (NOS) any more? Of
course I'll send you a photo.

So what do you call those other than a 6T series? We never really got many
of the proprietary European types here.

Hmm, I am not sure if it is the official name but I call them (large)
Tuchel connectors; 6T series I know as small Tuchel connectors, which
are just "normal" DIN connectors that can be screwed to one another.

Best regards

Reinhard
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Reinhard Zwirner[_2_] Reinhard Zwirner[_2_] is offline

Scott Dorsey schrieb:

[...]
So what do you call those other than a 6T series? We never really got many
of the proprietary European types here.

Addendum:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-hi-9d63.jpg

There are/were "normal" (large) Tuchel connectors and small Tuchel
connectors. To make the difference even more clear those "normal"
Tuchel connectors are/were often called "large Tuchel" connectors.

HTH

Reinhard
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 11:33:14 AM UTC-5, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:
Scott Dorsey schrieb:

[...]
So what do you call those other than a 6T series? We never really got many
of the proprietary European types here.

Addendum:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-hi-9d63.jpg

There are/were "normal" (large) Tuchel connectors and small Tuchel
connectors. To make the difference even more clear those "normal"
Tuchel connectors are/were often called "large Tuchel" connectors.

Amphenol!!

Jack

HTH

Reinhard