Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default SACD; HD Tracks = Man's Fantasies

I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for superior stereo mixes of US Top 40 with greater detailed sound. I never knew about this stereo mix; it appears to be the "album" version (w/ extended bridge). Everette (a web site visitor) made me aware of it...

The Stone Poneys - Different Drum, 1967

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...entdrum-lp.mp3

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for superior stereo mixes of US Top 40 with
greater detailed sound. I never knew about this stereo mix; it
appears to be the "album" version (w/ extended bridge).
Everette (a web site visitor) made me aware of it...

The Stone Poneys - Different Drum, 1967

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...entdrum-lp.mp3

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

This U-tube of a live performance from the same period ( with a backing group that appears to be the Stone Poneys ) is what the famous hit may have sounded like if they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZznJXY1Xc

IMO the comments about the backing band are pretty cruel.

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 25/11/2015 3:21 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:
I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for superior stereo mixes of US Top 40 with
greater detailed sound. I never knew about this stereo mix; it
appears to be the "album" version (w/ extended bridge). Everette (a
web site visitor) made me aware of it...

Still have the original vinyl with the extended instrumental. The CD
releases have the later single cut version. The mix is the same however.

The Stone Poneys - Different Drum, 1967
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...entdrum-lp.mp3

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

Since Linda Ronstadt WAS a "Stone Poney" I'd say there was at least one!

This U-tube of a live performance from the same period ( with a
backing group that appears to be the Stone Poneys ) is what the
famous hit may have sounded like if they had.

If they had released a live version? Have you heard the Beatles live
recordings, hardly anything like the studio versions either.

Trevor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/24/2015 11:21 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

As I recall, most of the studio band that played on the first Stone
Poneys record became The Eagles. They were all friends of Linda Ronstadt
and she needed a band to record, so she assembled that one.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote: "On 11/24/2015 11:21 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

As I recall, most of the studio band that played on the first Stone
Poneys record became The Eagles. They were all friends of Linda Ronstadt
and she needed a band to record, so she assembled that one.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com "

Very good Mike! You get a star! So you DO know about
some 99-percenter acts and their music. Keep up the
good work!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

As I recall, most of the studio band that played on the first Stone
Poneys record became The Eagles.

** Not true.

Only one became an "Eagle" - guitarist Bernie Leadon.

They were all friends of Linda Ronstadt
and she needed a band to record, so she assembled that one.

** Not true either.

It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit, picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

JackA wrote:
I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for superior stereo mixes of US Top 40 with
greater detailed sound. I never knew about this stereo mix; it
appears to be the "album" version (w/ extended bridge). Everette (a
web site visitor) made me aware of it...

Still have the original vinyl with the extended instrumental.

-- And you never told me!!??

The CD
releases have the later single cut version. The mix is the same however.

-- Sad you make such an erroneous claim! Obviously, you don't LISTEN to stereo.
-- What is frequently found on CD sounds like crap, plain and simple.

Jack

The Stone Poneys - Different Drum, 1967
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...entdrum-lp.mp3

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

Since Linda Ronstadt WAS a "Stone Poney" I'd say there was at least one!

This U-tube of a live performance from the same period ( with a
backing group that appears to be the Stone Poneys ) is what the
famous hit may have sounded like if they had.

If they had released a live version? Have you heard the Beatles live
recordings, hardly anything like the studio versions either.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 11:21:21 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

I'm ALWAYS on the hunt for superior stereo mixes of US Top 40 with
greater detailed sound. I never knew about this stereo mix; it
appears to be the "album" version (w/ extended bridge).
Everette (a web site visitor) made me aware of it...

The Stone Poneys - Different Drum, 1967

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...entdrum-lp.mp3

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

This U-tube of a live performance from the same period ( with a backing group that appears to be the Stone Poneys ) is what the famous hit may have sounded like if they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZznJXY1Xc

IMO the comments about the backing band are pretty cruel.

-- Interesting, Phil! Thanks. Obviously, a lot of audio doctoring was necessary.
-- Linda was cute looking back then!! Shame she stole Hollies songs!

Jack

... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

This U-tube of a live performance from the same period ( with a backing group that appears to be the Stone Poneys ) is what the famous hit may have sounded like if they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZznJXY1Xc

IMO the comments about the backing band are pretty cruel.

It doesn't seem that the band can hear one another at all. No wedges up
there either. My guess is that this is why they are all at different tempi.

Notice around 1:24, Linda turns to the side and her mike passes right in
front of the bass amp, but there's no real change in bass leakage. In fact,
there really isn't any bass line audible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thickskullofrocks @ gmail.com wrote in message
Very good Mike! You get a star! So you DO know about some
99-percenter acts and their music. Keep up the good work!

Dumb****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:43:21 AM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

As I recall, most of the studio band that played on the first Stone
Poneys record became The Eagles.

** Not true.

Only one became an "Eagle" - guitarist Bernie Leadon.

They were all friends of Linda Ronstadt
and she needed a band to record, so she assembled that one.

** Not true either.

It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit, picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

... Phil

I have to agree with Phil. Studio musicians were gathered for this recorded version.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/25/2015 7:43 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit, picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

And of course you can be right because Wikipedia is always right.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/25/2015 9:32 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
It doesn't seem that the band can hear one another at all. No wedges up
there either. My guess is that this is why they are all at different tempi.

That's the way it used to be. At least it didn't sound as bad as the
Beatles playing DC Stadium with just their amplifiers, a couple of Vocal
Masters, and 5,000 screaming fans.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

This U-tube of a live performance from the same period ( with a backing group that appears to be the Stone Poneys ) is what the famous hit may have sounded like if they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZznJXY1Xc

IMO the comments about the backing band are pretty cruel.

It doesn't seem that the band can hear one another at all. No wedges up
there either. My guess is that this is why they are all at different tempi.

The band isn't half bad, considering, it's just that the audio set-up was perhaps
only 10% complete (or working). No bass, no rhythm guitar, no drums other than
leakage.

It has the look and sound of the local smaller market TV studio in the 1970s; those
places were usually completely inept for music production. They put out the four or
five microphones they typically used for the Sunday political talk show (the entire
mic collection for the facility), turn half of them off, and call it good.

A few meters bounce, there's some kind of sound coming over the little mini-monitor
in the teeny tiny doorless audio booth. So, to the video engineer being "punished"
this week because he has to deal with annoying audio stuff, it's all good. (Or maybe
it's the terrified intern, who just started yesterday, who got shoved into the audio
broom closet.)

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

** No "Poneys" to be heard on that track, just studio guys.

As I recall, most of the studio band that played on the first Stone
Poneys record became The Eagles.

** Not true.

Only one became an "Eagle" - guitarist Bernie Leadon.

They were all friends of Linda Ronstadt
and she needed a band to record, so she assembled that one.

** Not true either.

It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit, picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

The intensity of Linda's vocals vary a lot throughout the song, maybe why she said, "fear and a lack of confidence".

Jack

... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/25/2015 9:32 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
It doesn't seem that the band can hear one another at all. No wedges up
there either. My guess is that this is why they are all at different tempi.

That's the way it used to be. At least it didn't sound as bad as the
Beatles playing DC Stadium with just their amplifiers, a couple of Vocal
Masters, and 5,000 screaming fans.

Not even Vocal Masters! Vox didn't even have the pattern control array that
Shure used! It was even worse!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Babiak Paul Babiak is offline

On 11/25/2015 09:54 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/25/2015 7:43 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit,
picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

And of course you can be right because Wikipedia is always right.

Linda Ronstadt herself tells the story of recording "Different Drum",
starting at about 15:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdUSvSFbSo
Posted to rec.audio.pro

ssinzig:

"What on earth is a 99-percenter?

I don't like or listen to much "pop" music
so I guess I'm not a 99-percenter? (thank goodness) "

In politics: "99-percenter" = Anyone whose last name isn't
Trump, Rockefeller, Kennedy, Bush, Warren Buffet, or
anyone else on the Forbes 400.

In music: "musical 99-percenter" = any song or musical
act that has charted in the Billboard Top 50 in the last half
century. That is what I proudly listen to. On original CD
releases, and as few remasters as I can avoid.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"N" wrote: "Dumb****"

Don't you ever get depressed from being mean
all the time? It would make me want to jump off
a bridge eventually!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul Babiak wrote:

On 11/25/2015 7:43 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit,
picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

And of course you can be right because Wikipedia is always right.

Linda Ronstadt herself tells the story of recording "Different Drum",
starting at about 15:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdUSvSFbSo

** Thanks for that - hard to find a better authority than Linda herself.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote:

The band isn't half bad, considering, it's just that the
audio set-up was perhaps only 10% complete (or working).
No bass, no rhythm guitar, no drums other than leakage.

** The bass is faint but there is an overhead mic on the drum kit - off to the left and visible at the end of the vid.

Linda appears to be singing without reinforcement while the band has turned way down to facilitate her - leaving one guitar and drums to provide the accompaniment. All quite deliberate and the result is an unusually simple and clear live recording.

BTW:

When I first played the vid I was looking for the pedal steel, then realised it was the lead guitarist using heavy vibrato while picking chords.

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

ssinzig wrote:

What on earth is a 99-percenter?

** Outlaw motorcycle club members often wear badges displaying " 1%er ".

This refers to a famous comment that " 99% of motorcycle club members were law abiding citizens".

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

четвртак, 26. новембар 2015. 03.50.09 UTC+1, Phil Allison је написао/ла:
Frank Stearns wrote:

The band isn't half bad, considering, it's just that the
audio set-up was perhaps only 10% complete (or working).
No bass, no rhythm guitar, no drums other than leakage.

** The bass is faint but there is an overhead mic on the drum kit - off to the left and visible at the end of the vid.

Linda appears to be singing without reinforcement while the band has turned way down to facilitate her - leaving one guitar and drums to provide the accompaniment. All quite deliberate and the result is an unusually simple and clear live recording.

BTW:

When I first played the vid I was looking for the pedal steel, then realised it was the lead guitarist using heavy vibrato while picking chords.

.... Phil

BTW, IMO, the only one terribly wrong thing in the mix is that overly loud
guitar. Also the voice could be quieter, but not mandatorry. I can hear bass
quite nicely, well leveled with the drums and other guitar. The voice is
sticking out and the main guitar is ruining it. I also don't think playing is
half bad. More than decent IMO.

To compensate for technical issues, emotional content is rather high, which is
the most important thing in this kind of music.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 26/11/2015 1:54 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 11/25/2015 7:43 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
It was producer Nick Venet who, sensing the song could become a hit,
picked other musicians to play on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differ...Poneys_version

And of course you can be right because Wikipedia is always right.

Unfortunately everyone with Wikipedia thinks they are an expert these
days, especially the ones who put the info on there! :-(

Trevor.