WideGlide

Default "musician plugs" (ear plugs) - amazing!

Haven't been here in a long while... hope everyone is well. I finally got
myself a set of those custom fit "musician plugs" from the local
audiologist. All I can say is WOW!!! I can't believe I went all this time
without them. Absolutely incredible!!! They attenuate extremely flat
across the frequency range, very much unlike typical ear plugs or
headphones. With these custom plugs, you can still hear plenty of high-end
and thus loads of detail... even at 25 db of attenuation. Example... I did
a quick "A/B" test, typical attenuation headphones verses these new
"musician plugs". I popped on the headphones and played some drumset...
almost impossible to hear the attack of the toms or kick, all that was
coming through was mud and boom... very unpleasant sound overall, zero
articulation heard. Then ripped off the headphones and swapped in the
musician plugs... the mud and boominess was completely gone, lots more
upper-end detail present, very flat realistic sound, the tom and kick
attacks very present, as much articulation as you'd ever need, the kit
sounded great and thus way more enjoyable to play. A HUGE difference! Also
tried these new plugs at some gigs, what extreme pleasure... I feel I am
playing better now since what I am HEARING sounds so much better. All I can
say is, if you don't already have such custom fit flat-attenuation "musician
plugs", run (don't walk) to your nearest audiologist immediately and get
them! Figure about $120 or so for a set... and you can get different
filters (interchangeable) for different levels of attenuation: 25db, 15db
and 9 db (about $20 for the filters only). I really wish I had gotten these
things years ago.... what a mistake to have put it off for so long. Don't
wait.

BLCKOUT420

I have these plugs, and all three filters. They still suck. They work much
better for drummers than they do for guitarists, but singing with them is
downright hard.
Sammy

BLCKOUT420 wrote:
I have these plugs, and all three filters. They still suck. They work much
better for drummers than they do for guitarists, but singing with them is
downright hard.

And that's where in-ear monitors sneak around the corner...
Jay Levitt

In article , blckout420
@aol.com says...
I have these plugs, and all three filters. They still suck. They work much
better for drummers than they do for guitarists, but singing with them is
downright hard.

Yep.. I had the same problem with mine. A good audiologist will measure
the occlusion and adjust the length to minimize it, but there's a
compromise between occlusion and sound transmission, and you don't want
leaks!

Also, when it comes down to it, you are now hearing more of yourself
through bone conduction, and less of yourself through air, and that's
going to sound different, like you're underwater. Only a bone
replacement can fix that.

As another poster mentioned, the in-ear monitor "filter" can be useful
here. You might also be able to sing with only one in. And as my
audiologist (who's also a musician) mentioned, a lot of it is just
getting used to the way you sound with them in, adjusting your
intonation.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
BLCKOUT420

You know where I use them alot? Mowing the lawn, running a skilsaw, driving
with the windows down. I find I use them more around the house than I do at
gigs.They have been really handy wherever I'm around loud stuff, that you
normally wouldn't bother putting hearing protection on, because its so bulky.
I can see why they work so good for drummers- my drummer actually turned me on
to them. But for playing guitar, they still sound like ear plugs to me.Even
with the 9 db filters, it seems like way too much. Everything sounds muffled. I
think the in ear monitors are the only answer.

Peter Larsen

WideGlide wrote:

them! Figure about $120 or so for a set...

Hmmm ... just got a DKK 1600 quote here in Copenhagen.

and you can get different filters (interchangeable) for
different levels of attenuation: 25db, 15db
and 9 db (about $20 for the filters only).

DKK 600 was quoted for an extra pair of filters.

Hmmm ....

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Jay Levitt

In article , blckout420
@aol.com says...
But for playing guitar, they still sound like ear plugs to me.Even
with the 9 db filters, it seems like way too much. Everything sounds muffled.

Then you need to go back to the audiologist - or possibly to another
one. Have them measure the frequency response in your ear canal with
and without the plugs in; if they're not the same, you may need a new
set of molds. The musicians' earplugs should NOT significantly alter
the frequency response of airborne sound; the only inevitable problems
are those of bone-conducted sounds like singing or reed instruments.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?
BLCKOUT420

ut we are talking about musicians' earplugs, which are specifically
designed to provide flat response, and if made well can actually achieve
it.

Just doesn't happen. I went back several times with mine. They still muffle the
sound. I don't care what the brochure might say, in real world setting it just
isn't so.

Aaron J. Grier

BLCKOUT420 wrote:
Just doesn't happen. I went back several times with mine. They still
muffle the sound. I don't care what the brochure might say, in real
world setting it just isn't so.

did your audiologist have any ideas as to what was going on? did he/she
hook up a probe system and make some measurements to find out what
frequency range was problematic? was another set of impressions taken?
were audiograms made with and without the plugs compared?

fitting these things properly is very ear-acoustics dependent, and an
audiologist should have the the tools available to figure out exactly
what's going on and the strategies to minimize problems. (you might
have to be a pest though; hearing aids can go for $1500 these days vs
your $150 musicians plugs.)

--
Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
"someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
Blind Joni

different levels of attenuation: 25db, 15db
and 9 db (about $20 for the filters only). I

This is way cheap if it's true..$65/ set is normal for the filters from
Etymotic.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Geoff Wood

WideGlide wrote:
Haven't been here in a long while... hope everyone is well. I
finally got myself a set of those custom fit "musician plugs" from
the local audiologist. All I can say is WOW!!! I can't believe I
went all this time without them. Absolutely incredible!!! They

Are you referring to a particuular brand or 'system' ?

geoff

transducr

Jay Levitt wrote in message ...
In article , blckout420
@aol.com says...

-SNIP-
Also, when it comes down to it, you are now hearing more of yourself
through bone conduction, and less of yourself through air, and that's
going to sound different, like you're underwater. Only a bone
replacement can fix that.

okay, the next logical question: where can one obtain one of these
"bone replacement" procedures!?
robobass

What kind of earplugs were you using before? I actually am pretty
happy with the spongy yellow cylinder types. I actually cut them in
half. In a really loud situation I can stuff them in deep, or when I
don't need so much attenuation I can pull them out a little. In the
latter situation I don't lose a lot of highs. In the former I want a
fair amount of high rolloff. In amplified situations and when you are
standing close to cymbals you are getting an unnatural amount of high
end anyway. It would be better to try to adjust to not hearing so much
of it anyway, as many musicians and soundmen have been getting to
much, and have a far different opinion of what is a good amount than
their listeners.

Also, that $20 carton I bought at Home Depot 3 years ago will last me
the rest of my life. I think paying upwards of $100 for one pair is
just nuts. Can you return them if you don't like them? What if you
lose one? I think it's just another way someone thought up to get
money out of musicians.

Robobass

"WideGlide" wrote in message . net...
Haven't been here in a long while... hope everyone is well. I finally got
myself a set of those custom fit "musician plugs" from the local
audiologist. All I can say is WOW!!! I can't believe I went all this time
without them. Absolutely incredible!!! They attenuate extremely flat
across the frequency range, very much unlike typical ear plugs or
headphones.

Scott Dorsey

BLCKOUT420 wrote:
ut we are talking about musicians' earplugs, which are specifically
designed to provide flat response, and if made well can actually achieve
it.

Just doesn't happen. I went back several times with mine. They still muffle the
sound. I don't care what the brochure might say, in real world setting it just
isn't so.

Yeah, but compared with the foam plugs they are miraculous.

BLCKOUT420

Yeah, but compared with the foam plugs they are miraculous.

very true.They are better than any other earplug I have tried. No match for in
ear monitors , however.

My final solution is just getting the band to turn down.Not an easy fix. The
biggest problem is my drummer. He is going deaf. Seriously. So to compound the
problem, he wears the ear plugs with the 25 db filters. So he hits the drums
harder...
I still use the earplugs once in a while, sometimes it just can't be avoided,
if the room is too small or the crowd noise just too loud. If the stage is big
enough I just get as far away from the drummer as I can.And try not to blow my
head off with too hot of a vocal mix in the monitor. It isn't easy when your
band is just a working band, at club size level, most of the time with no sound
man. When we play big clubs, with big PAs, and separate monitor men, it sure is
a treat.

BLCKOUT420

The fun part is going to work the next day at the studio after my head has been
blown off the night before. How do you tell your client yours ears are ringing
like a clock, and still expect them to pay you?

BLCKOUT420

The fun part is going to work the next day at the studio after my head has been
blown off the night before. How do you tell your client yours ears are ringing
like a clock, and still expect them to pay you?
Dave

Back in my drumming days, I went to an audiologist who made me custom ear
plugs with filters. It sounded the same as without them, only the volume was
just turned down. It can be done, it's just expensive. The filters shouldn't
have a completely flat response because your ear canal is shaped funny.
You'll need filters that match the general response curve of the human
middle and inner ear.

My only problem is that I have abnormally small ears and ear canals, and
after a while, my earplugs start to hurt.

Blind Joni

My only problem is that I have abnormally small ears and ear canals, and
after a while, my earplugs start to hurt.

I too have small canals..got the soft silicone molds and they are better.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Geoff Wood

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
BLCKOUT420 wrote:
ut we are talking about musicians' earplugs, which are specifically
designed to provide flat response, and if made well can actually
achieve it.

Just doesn't happen. I went back several times with mine. They still
muffle the sound. I don't care what the brochure might say, in real
world setting it just isn't so.

Yeah, but compared with the foam plugs they are miraculous.
--scott

I have a pair of EAR (ha ha) one, with the 2 silicone flappy ring things. I
am able to get reasonable control over volume, and tone to a degree, by
adjusting their insertedness. Not very scientific, but a musical result
can usually be got.

geoff

Nousaine

(Blind Joni) wrote:

My only problem is that I have abnormally small ears and ear canals, and
after a while, my earplugs start to hurt.

I too have small canals..got the soft silicone molds and they are better.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

The newer materials do seem softer and make it easier to get a good seal. The
problem I had with the older material is that it tended to harden with time
making them less comfortable.