Mike Rivers

Default How I Love Mini-phone Plugs (let me count the ways)

I've expressed my scorn for the use of the mini phone plug (1/8") as
an audio connector. Well I have a cooking thermometer that has a
little transmitter to relay the temperature to a remote readout. I use
it when cooking things like roasts on the Weber grill. It uses a mini
phone plug to connect the temperature probe to the transmitter unit
through a cable about a yard long. (the transmitter unit is outside
the grill, of course)

Yesterday I had it stuck in the turkey that I was roasting/smoking
outdoors. I was watching the temperature on the indoor readout and it
seemed like it had been sitting at 155 degrees for a mightly long
time. I went out to check the coals and the grill air temperature and
everything was oK. Then I wiggled the plug in the jack of the
transmitter and the temperature immediately shot up to 169 degrees.

Fortunately the turkey survived this abuse and nobody went hungry.
Score one more for a flaky connection thanks to a mini phone plug.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
John L Rice

I'm glad the turkey worked out Mike but I feel your pain. In high school
and college I built a lot of PAIA synthesizer kits and all of them used mini
phone jacks/plugs for audio connections. Not exactly robust little buggers
are they?!

John L Rice

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

[...]

2mb

I am glad your turkey survived: )

Before I put good connectors throughout my signal chain, my music got the
same treatment as your turkey. Some of my recording attempts weren't as
lucky as the bird.

[...]

Will Hunt

My brother-in-law uses an old paper chart recorder hooked up to a
themocouple, tracking bird core temperature
over time. He's done it for years- refers to the old charts for cooking
times, weight, etc. Still seems to get the bird
done an hour early every time.....
..also-there's a tribe of wild turkeys that roost in the tall trees around
my house. They showed up there
just as we sat down to Thanksgiving to feed on their cousin...BIG birds about
sixty feet up on the bare branches. Brrrrrr.

Will

[...]

Paul Pinyot

Sorry for the off topic posts. A bit of reflection during this holiday
season.
I too have been embarrassed by the 1/8" plug failures. Once during the last
show of Grease for an amateur production. I'll never forget that one or let
another jack, jack me off like that!
--
Paul Pinyot

"Paul Pinyot" wrote in
message ...

[...]

normanstrong

I pretty much solved the contact problems of the 1/8" TRS plug. I
coat them with blue Cramolin. I've never had an intermittent since I
started this treatment. Of course I may just be lucky . . .

Cheers,

Norm Strong

[...]

Ralph & Diane Barone

Of course, nothing beats the stupidity of using a mini-phone plug for
power. I once repaired a wah-wah pedal which had a 1/8" female phone jack
for external power, but no power adapter. So, not wondering why the
original power adapter was no longer around, I bought another adapter and
soldered a 1/8' plug on the end. This worked fine until the owner
accidentally half-unplugged the plug, which shorted on the jack, and the
adapter went up in a spectacular display of pyrotechnics. The mini-phone
jack got replaced with a real power connector very soon afterwards.

Richard Kuschel

Though there isn't a lot of hope for miniplugs because of their small size,
there are a few built by Switchcraft that are much higher quality and more
robust than the Radio Shack units.

Well worth the money if you must use a miniplug.
Richard H. Kuschel
Peter B.

"John L Rice" wrote in message ...
I'm glad the turkey worked out Mike but I feel your pain. In high school
and college I built a lot of PAIA synthesizer kits and all of them used mini
phone jacks/plugs for audio connections. Not exactly robust little buggers
are they?!

I'm a synth builder too. Those 1/8" jacks were the biggest headache
until I started mounting them with gravity in mind. If the spring
contact is on the top (with panel 90 deg. to floor) the weight of
cords pulling down on the plugs wears the springs out fast. With the
spring contact on the bottom, the weight of the cords decreases
contact pressure between the inserted plug and the contact. This
become a problem after repeated insertions bend the spring out of
shape. Now I tighten down the jack so that the spring contact is on
top but 60 deg. off center. The jack lasts longer.

Peter