ludovic mirabel

Default THE ENDLESS DBT DEBATE

Bruce Abrams wrote in message ...
Snip discussion

The fact of the matter is that in this test, 2 CD players were evaluated
under blind, level matched conditions and found to sound different. This
DBT did, in fact, yield a difference between two components. Are you
listening Mr. Mirabel?

Yes, I am but you're leaving me somewhat puzzled as to what
exactly should I listen to. The startling news that trained listeners
can hear differences even when ABXing? Who ever said otherwise? Not
me. As a matter of fact when I reported that one (ONE!!!) of
Greenhill's "expert audiophiles" in a cable listening test was called
by the proctor, Greenhill, a "golden ear" because of his brilliant
performance that met Greenhill's statistical validity criteria there
was a flurry of indignation. With me , the messenger, not Greenhill
the source. (Look up the old "Is ABX useful?" thread). Why? Because
everybody KNOWS that cables all sound the same, right?
Of course talented/trained people will hear differences even when
ABXing because the differences are there.
Something to clarify, Mr Abrams. And not for the first
time. You really must stop confusing ABX/ DBT with other more or less
sensible methods.
Like this: " The fact of the matter is that in this test, 2 CD
players were
evaluated under blind, level matched conditions and found to sound
different."

Last time we talked about it it turned out that you
confuse a simple, sensible way of covering the brand name when picking
your pianos with switched ABX/DBT for component comparison. A horse of
different colour Mr. Abrams. Cover the brand names all you want Mr.
Abrams. Pick your piano. As long as you don't tell me that your choice
is "scientific" and universally valid. We're talking here about the
assertion that ABX DBT is THE one scientific way for an average
audiophile to test components for their music reproduction abilities
and that if he hears no differences it means more than just that: HE
heard no differences.
Ludovic Mirabel

Nousaine

Default THE AUDIOPHILE PRESS

(ludovic mirabel) wrote:

Steven Sullivan wrote in message
.net...
Nousaine wrote:
(ludovic mirabel) wrote:

...snip to content....

Or do you recommend pink noise for ABXing like other so called
"objectivists"? Wonderful for stereo imaging.

Pink noise may be overly sensitive to small differences that won't be
perceptible with music sources. But, please do not discouint its use for
assessing spatial properties of pink noise of audio playbakc systems.

Becaus
it has energy at all frequencies if interest it easily tells you what

type o
staging, imaging and envelopment you'll get when playing music sources.

Sullivan:
Which is one reason it's included on things like the Stereophile Test CDs.

And followed by full pachage of warble tones in frequencies from 20
Hz to 20000 Hz.
I gather that Mr. Nousaine (and you?) stops with the pink noise
band that tells him all he wants to know about the musical
characteristics of components; transients, distortion, imaging, and so
on.

You may 'gather' all you want but there is nothing in what I said that would
lead one to gather THAT.

In fact he thinks it is superior to music as a test signal.

That's because for many sound qualitly aspects it is. But no one signal is
adequate for everything; but I always start with the most revealing ones to
lead me most efficiently to avenues of improvement.

This
appears rational to him (and you?) and so utterly absurd to me and
some others that it illustrates to perfection why the twain will
never meet.
Ludovic Mirabel

I'd agree here. I'm all for effective sound quality evaluation and efficient
system optimization. Others seem content to ignore useful programs. Suit
yourself.

Dennis Moore

"Nousaine" wrote in message news:
OK; perhaps I'm slow, why not list the results again and the measurement
method?

Stability looks good then. What was the frequency response at the speaker
terminals?

Dennis

I don't know Tom, you seem more intent on picking sides
and playing with debating tricks.

Alright, another repeat performance.

Okay Tom reread the above again. I previously gave you one
brand. And the results for example. Which were beyond
the +/- .1dB from 20-20,000 you mention. And yes, the
measuring was done at the speaker terminal. On Soundlabs
to refresh your memory. An odd somewhat tough load of
course. But since they are the speakers I have, the response
with them is what I would care about naturally.

Since you repeat questions answered already, what is your
point? That you aren't listening to anyone who might
contradict "any 2 ohm stable 200 watt amp is fine".
An Adcom 555 measured +.6 dB/-.4 dB at the speaker
terminal. It was up at the low end, no surprise with an
ESL. Then had a dip between 10-15Khz with a peak
also of .6 dB between 16-18khz. Dropping to -.4dB again
around 20khz. Not terrible, but not what would could call
fully accurate. Some B+K amps were more even until
the last couple of octaves, where it had some up and down
variations of about .5dB up and .5dB down. A Classe 25
was about .25 dB up at the low end, and .3 dB down at
20 khz. With the variation evenly spread over the whole
range. Probably good enough. Though strictly speaking
doesn't meet your criteria. A Spectral DMA-50 was about
..15 dB up at 20 hz. Even by about 50 hz, and didn't change
through 20 khz. All measurement done at 10 volts 1 khz
for the reference level.

This should more than satisfy your questions.

Then of course you make statements implying I was arguing
with your criteria of -/+ .1dB over the audible range. When
I wasn't. I was wondering about the seemingly cavalier attitude
of assuming what would be fully transparent.

Dennis

Nousaine

"Dennis Moore" wrote:

[...]

Thank you. Are you then saying that these amplifiers were identifiable in
bias-controlled listening tests? If they were then my criteria still fits
well. If they were NOT then the +/- 0.1 dB criteria is too stringent. OK, I'll
agree with that.
Dennis Moore

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:35:23 GMT, "Dennis Moore"
wrote:

[...]

Well, given that the response of your speakers to a *perfect*
amplifier would still be up and down by at least 5dB over the 20-20kHz
range, I suspect that all of the above amps would be sonically
indistinguishable and 'fully transparent'.

So since you don't need flat amps without flat speakers, how
flat do they need be? And exactly what is the algorithm you
go through to decide this issue other than blind testing?
If the frequency response variation had been plus or minus
1 dB would you have responded the same? If it had been
plus or minus 1.5dB? Where would you draw the line?

If unflat speakers make it possible to considerably loosen
up the flatness of frequency response needed for transparency
then how useful are most of the tests done in a bias-controlled
manner since most speakers are going to be less flat than those
I have?

And while were at it, some tube amps have an output
impedance that interacts with most esl's to flatten the frequency
response acoustically versus general solid state amps. Which
contrary to what is often stated would make a good tube amp
more accurate than some of these solid state ones in some
uses.

BTW, measures with warble tones indicate the speakers are
not up and down by 5 decibels. But that would get us into
another topic of how do you measure speaker's acoustic
output.

Dennis

Dennis Moore wrote:

And while were at it, some tube amps have an output
impedance that interacts with most esl's to flatten the frequency
response acoustically versus general solid state amps. Which
contrary to what is often stated would make a good tube amp
more accurate than some of these solid state ones in some
uses.

You've got to be more specific than 'some' and 'most' for that to be really
true. Any speaker designer with good sense doesn't design his speaker to
match certain amplifiers, given the wide variety of amplifiers that owners
use. As I recall, ESL's almost always use some sort of equalization network
to help flatten the frequency response anyway because of the natural high
resonance of the diaphagm.

Dennis Moore

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Dennis Moore" wrote:

[...]

Which puts us right back to the beginning again.
The question was which amplifiers could I
count on to be sonically transparent. So that no aggravating
bias controlled tests are needed. And you told me one thing
which I showed through the simplest of measurements
in fact couldn't guarantee transparency. So now you change
your criteria wondering if they really need to be flat with a
tenth of a decibel either way. Yet if someone had posted
some positive results with less flatness you would have criticized
those results.

But in answer to your question above, I am saying that the
standard for making a sure an amplifier isn't identifiable has
been stated as being flat within plus or minus .1 dB. And some
very normal competent amplifiers don't meet that criteria.
Which as again takes us back in a big circle to the beginning.

Dennis

Nousaine

"Dennis Moore" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Dennis Moore"
wrote:

[...]

You must have incredibly bad luck. I have purchased and used over a dozen solid
state amplifiers over the past 25 years all of which meet the criteria. OTOH
I'd also say that IME amplifiers which meet that criteria over the 100 Hz to
10,000 Hz passband will be sonically indistinguishable from each other.

The +/- 0.1 criteria is probably more stringent than it needs to be.

Also note that in amplifier comparisons amplifiers matched to +/- 0.1 dB will
not be sonically identifiable but they may often both have a couple tenths
droop at 20 kHz.

Michael Scarpitti

(Mkuller) wrote in message ...
On 8 Sep 2003 22:59:18 GMT,
(Mkuller) wrote:
I have no intent in engaging in another dbt debate (or in continuing one)

with
you.

I have the following to say about DBT in audio, and that is that since
we have to rely on memeory, and memory is not exactly reliable, DBT is
in fact impossible, as you cannot compare something perceived directly
now with something remembered, accurately.

I usually use the 'take it away' criterion. When I auditioned Monster
interconnect cables, I compared the $50 ones to the $100 ones. When I
put in the $100 ones to replace the $50 ones, I could not be sure I
heard a difference. When I put back the cheaper ones, I was certain I
did. I repeated this test a number of times, always with the same
results: the 'worse' was easier to spot when the 'better' was taken
away than when the 'worse' was taken away and the 'better' installed.

So, in sum: THERE IS NO WAY TO DO DBT IN AUDIO. IT'S A MYTH.

(Stewart Pinkerton)

Date: 9/9/03 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time
basis for your arguments.

Neither you nor anyone else has produced evidence that dbts, even if
implemented perfectly (which is unlikely for the average audiophile) can

show
subtle differences in audio components using music as the program.

OTOH, many people have shown that sighted bias totally swamps any
subtle difference which *may* exist between components, while many
major manufacturers use DBTs every day in their research labs because
they are not interested in this pathetic 'debate' - they already
*know* that DBTs are the *only* way to determine subtle but *real*
sonic differences.

Yes, we have heard you say this many times - repeating it over and over does
not make it true. Please provide pecific evidence that:
1. dbts are appropriate for audiophiles to use in audio component comparison
with music as a source.
2. dbts used in #1 above can show subtle audible differences.

So far all we have seen actual proof of is that dbts with pink noise can
sometimes show gross frequency response and loudness differences when used with
audio components. That's it. If you are unsure about what constitutes "actual
proof", please refer to the beginning of the "science vs. pseudo-science"
thread for the distinction between the two.

Subtle differences will disappear and the components will sound more

alike than
different.

Evidence, please, for this *claim*.

It should be obvious to anyone who has tried a dbt, used sighted listening

and
followed the "dbt debates that never end on RAHE".

Regards,
Mike

Nancy Eilers-Hughes

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
snip

I have the following to say about DBT in audio, and that is that since
we have to rely on memeory, and memory is not exactly reliable, DBT is
in fact impossible, as you cannot compare something perceived directly
now with something remembered, accurately.

Which *IF* accurate, applies equally to any test, sighted or DBT.
Hence the use of time proximate switching to minimize such effects.

I usually use the 'take it away' criterion. When I auditioned Monster
interconnect cables, I compared the $50 ones to the $100 ones. When I
put in the $100 ones to replace the $50 ones, I could not be sure I
heard a difference. When I put back the cheaper ones, I was certain I
did. I repeated this test a number of times, always with the same
results: the 'worse' was easier to spot when the 'better' was taken
away than when the 'worse' was taken away and the 'better' installed.

So, in sum: THERE IS NO WAY TO DO DBT IN AUDIO. IT'S A MYTH.

Uhmmm...all of which required you to remember how one cable
sounded, some time ago, and mentally compare what you currently
hear with that memory. Oh, wait, you yourself said that was
impossible, so obviously your cable test was a MYTH by your own
admission.

Actually, IMO, the myth is that knowing which cable was "worse"
(i.e. cheaper) did not affect the test outcome.

snip

Keith Hughes

Michael Scarpitti

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message . net...
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

Mkuller wrote:

Please provide pecific evidence that:
1. dbts are appropriate for audiophiles to use in audio component

comparison
with music as a source.

One bit of evidence would be that they are used in prodect development
by several major audio component manufacturers, as Stewart has noted.

Not necessarily. The research is likely to be very directed, e.g. can

you
hear a difference in the lower midrange, or some other indication of what
you are listening *for*. Which speaker, A or B, do you think reproduces
her voice best, etc. That is very different than listening to two pieces

of
equipment and determining how and why they differ in reproducting music

on
an open-ended basis.

Excuse me? The 'subjectivists' have *frequently* said that they choose
equipment based on such narrow criteria as listening to a spoken
voice, or determining whether a particular singer sounds the same as
their memory of a live performance.

I can't speak for all audiophiles, but most that I know listen open ended at
first, and then over a long period of time alternate open ended listening
with specific comparisons designed to illuminate the differences that strike
them from the open ended listening. That is a very different situation
from being given a very one-dimensional and single-minded task....compare
these two things on this one dimension and tell us......

This is indeed the crux of the problem with DBT. Music is complex, and
there are many, many, many, many, many, many, many, ways things that
consitute the 'listening experience'. What particular aspect of any
two items may be different may not be obvious upon simple DBT, but
over a period of time, with switching in and out of the variable
component, using lots of different music selections, etc, differences
will appear.

Also, it is impossible to listen to two components at the same time.
This differs from say, lens tests, where two prints from two different
lenses can be viewed simultaneously and judgements made without
relying upon memory. The 'optical image' can be fixed on film, but the
'audio image' cannot. I can hand you two prints made with say, a Leica
lens and a Nikon lens, and you can see them together and examine them
as long as you want. Yes, optical goods can be evaluated by a DBT, but
not audio goods.

DBT in audio is not invalid, it is impossible.

For one thing, the audiophile can select those aspects of musical
reproduction that are most important to him..and ignore others. In gestalt
listening, this will be an intuitive, almost unthinking weighting of
preferences. Then the specific comparisons can begin.... And many to reach
a decision, not just one.
And it all takes time. With different music as test input. In different
moods, ideally. And all within a known system, unless one is starting with
a blank slate.

Michael Scarpitti

Nancy Eilers-Hughes wrote in message news:Xl3fb.482051$Oz4.322232@rwcrnsc54...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:
snip

I have the following to say about DBT in audio, and that is that since
we have to rely on memeory, and memory is not exactly reliable, DBT is
in fact impossible, as you cannot compare something perceived directly
now with something remembered, accurately.

Which *IF* accurate, applies equally to any test, sighted or DBT.

No, it does not apply to photographic lens testing. The results are
fixed on film and visible at any time. Side-by-side comparisons are
possible.

Hence the use of time proximate switching to minimize such effects.

I usually use the 'take it away' criterion. When I auditioned Monster
interconnect cables, I compared the $50 ones to the $100 ones. When I
put in the $100 ones to replace the $50 ones, I could not be sure I
heard a difference. When I put back the cheaper ones, I was certain I
did. I repeated this test a number of times, always with the same
results: the 'worse' was easier to spot when the 'better' was taken
away than when the 'worse' was taken away and the 'better' installed.

So, in sum: THERE IS NO WAY TO DO DBT IN AUDIO. IT'S A MYTH.

Uhmmm...all of which required you to remember how one cable
sounded, some time ago, and mentally compare what you currently
hear with that memory.

That's correct.

Oh, wait, you yourself said that was
impossible, so obviously your cable test was a MYTH by your own
admission.

I DID NOT claim it was a double blind test, (now did I?), because I
believe that to be impossible in the strict sense of these terms FOR
COMPARISONS OF AUDIO EQUIPMENT.

I believe it was a useful and valid test: could I hear a difference
when I switched them in and out. The answer was 'yes'. And the memory
is indeed imperfect, so repeated tests over a long listening session
were required. The difference was slight, but noticeable and
repeatable.

Actually, IMO, the myth is that knowing which cable was "worse"
(i.e. cheaper) did not affect the test outcome.

It did not affect the outcome. I wanted to see which set of cables to
use on which components, as I had already purchased them. The best
cables were to go between the CD player and the power amp, as I do not
use a pre-amp. I own a Sony CD player with a custom-modified variable
output stage. I had several sets of cables of various ages and price
ranges, some no longer remembered.

snip

Keith Hughes

Mkuller

(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:
DBT in audio is not invalid, it is impossible.

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
You have made this claim before, you have failed to back it up with a
logical argument, and major manufacturers use DBTs *every working day*
to develop new products.

And you have used this weak justification before, too. ALL high end equipment
manufacturers use sighted listening in designing their products. A few use
sighted listening and DBTs. By this criteria, sighted listening would seem
much superior since it is used more widely by equipment manufacturers and
designers.

Regards,
Mike

Dennis Moore

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message news:2Xifb.
No, it does not apply to photographic lens testing. The results are
fixed on film and visible at any time. Side-by-side comparisons are
possible.

How would lens testing be different? Yes, side by side comparisons
are possible. But you can only look at one photo at a time.
Switching between them still means a delay and memory is
involved all the same.

Dennis
Michael Scarpitti

(Mkuller) wrote:

I have no intent in engaging in another dbt debate (or in continuing one) with
you.

I'm sure that you don't. You prefer to assert and run, as you have no
[...]

What is obvious is that the 'subtle differences' which 'disappear' in
DBTs never existed in the real physical world. The classic evidence
for this is the 'false sighted' test, where the audience believes that
it is comparing two diifferent components, but in reality they are not
switched. This does not prevent the vast majority of listeners from
'hearing' quite large claimed differences. OTOH, DBTs *do* reveal
subtle but *real* differences which are not detectable by other means.
That's why they're used by Revel, JBL, B&W, KEF etc etc.

OTOH, many people have shown that sighted bias totally swamps any
subtle difference which *may* exist between components, while many
major manufacturers use DBTs every day in their research labs because
they are not interested in this pathetic 'debate' - they already
*know* that DBTs are the *only* way to determine subtle but *real*
sonic differences.

Nonsense. There is NO debate possible. True DBT isn't even remotely
possible for audio evaluation. DBT can be applied only to certain
kinds of scientific enquiries, and audio isn't one of them.

In drug evaluations, for instance, DBT ensures that neither the
doctors nor the patients know whether a placebo or the real drug is
being given to the patient. In some cases, even the placebo can be
perceived to be effective if the disorder is somewhat subjective
(depression, for instance). In such testing, DBT means only that that
the participants don't know which drug, if any, is being assigned to
which patient. That's all. It does not make the test any more
probatory, just less biased. The results of questionaires about mood,
for instance, are tabulated and compared. Reports of dry mouth and
constipation are reported, and the drug's side effects table is
compiled. But no-one is suggesting that this is anything more than
data collection. If enough MORE people on drug 'A' report benefits and
positive mood than on drug 'B' (placebo), the maker has reason to be
encouraged and conduct further tests.

In the case of antibiotics, for instance, no DBT is warranted, as
neither the researcher nor the bacterium has any way to affect the
results if the tests are conducted properly.

So, ultimately, DBT has only restricted usage (say to examine
spritualists' claims) and audio is not one of them.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people
some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the
time. Cables do vary in their performance. Green edging DOES reduce
the noise on CDs in some cases. Green platters do almost as much.
Spray-on cleaners have done nothing, unfortunately, in my experience.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 3 Oct 2003 23:26:58 GMT, "Dennis Moore"
wrote:

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message news:2Xifb.
No, it does not apply to photographic lens testing. The results are
fixed on film and visible at any time. Side-by-side comparisons are
possible.

How would lens testing be different? Yes, side by side comparisons
are possible. But you can only look at one photo at a time.
Switching between them still means a delay and memory is
involved all the same.

Quite right, which is why astronomers use a 'flicker' comparator which
precisely overlays two images and switches between them, causing any
differences in the images to flicker and become easily visible.

It is not unlike fast-switching ABX for audio.............

Duffy Pratt

How would lens testing be different? Yes, side by side comparisons
are possible. But you can only look at one photo at a time.
Switching between them still means a delay and memory is
involved all the same.

Lapse in time should not matter. The situation is easy with sound as
compared, say, with taste. Its very, very easy to conduct double blind
tests of food products, and they work. You can reach conclusions about
whether, for example, two kinds of wine taste different from one another.
And you can also reach conclusions about which wine the sample group
preferred. But with taste, the situation is complicated because tastes tend
to linger, and the lingering taste will have an effect on the next thing
tasted. That's why people need to cleanse their palates before a new
tasting. And all of this takes time. But the testing is not only possible,
it is fairly reliable, and its done all of the time.

Duffy

normanstrong

No, it does not apply to photographic lens testing. The results

are
fixed on film and visible at any time. Side-by-side comparisons

are
possible.

How would lens testing be different? Yes, side by side comparisons
are possible. But you can only look at one photo at a time.
Switching between them still means a delay and memory is
involved all the same.

Dennis

Have you ever heard of the "blink microscope"? Zeiss designed this
device almost 100 years ago. Its purpose was to discover whether any
of 1000's of stars had moved between 2 photographic exposures of the
same piece of sky. Memory is not involved; you are looking for
movement only.

Norm Strong
Dick Pierce

No, it does not apply to photographic lens testing. The results

are
fixed on film and visible at any time. Side-by-side comparisons

are
possible.

How would lens testing be different? Yes, side by side comparisons
are possible. But you can only look at one photo at a time.
Switching between them still means a delay and memory is
involved all the same.

Have you ever heard of the "blink microscope"? Zeiss designed this
device almost 100 years ago. Its purpose was to discover whether any
of 1000's of stars had moved between 2 photographic exposures of the
same piece of sky. Memory is not involved; you are looking for
movement only.

Indeed it is a stupendously senisitve device. It serves 2 main functions:
searching for asteroids and planets, where only 1 point in several
thousand or more might move, and searching for supernova or variable
stars, where changes ni brightness result in very small changes in the size
of the image on the plates due to halation effects.

It requires very careful setup, very precise alignment of the two
plates being compared, exact matching of the illumination levels of
each (gee, JUST like very careful level matching and such in high-
resolution audio comparisons).

Yet another example of the fact that the ability of human perception
to detect small differences is enhanced by time-proximal comparisons:
it REDUCES the dependence on memory, contrary to what is oft claimed
in the high-end audio realm (and almost no where else).
Stewart Pinkerton

On 4 Oct 2003 15:39:08 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...

OTOH, many people have shown that sighted bias totally swamps any
subtle difference which *may* exist between components, while many
major manufacturers use DBTs every day in their research labs because
they are not interested in this pathetic 'debate' - they already
*know* that DBTs are the *only* way to determine subtle but *real*
sonic differences.

Nonsense. There is NO debate possible. True DBT isn't even remotely
possible for audio evaluation. DBT can be applied only to certain
kinds of scientific enquiries, and audio isn't one of them.

Certainly audio is one of them, your repetition of this baseless claim
doesn't alter the facts of the matter.

In drug evaluations, for instance, DBT ensures that neither the
doctors nor the patients know whether a placebo or the real drug is
being given to the patient.

Quite so - as with audio DBTs.

snip of irrelevant material

So, ultimately, DBT has only restricted usage (say to examine
spritualists' claims) and audio is not one of them.

Utter rubbish, as DBTs are used every working day in the R&D labs of
many of the major audio manufacturers. The best known are Meridian,
KEF, B&W and Harman International, which includes Revel, JBL, Mark
Levinson and Madrigal.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people
some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the
time.

Quite so, and very few people stay fooled about 'high end' audio.....

Cables do vary in their performance.

Not in any audible way.

Green edging DOES reduce
the noise on CDs in some cases.

NO, it absolutely does no such thing! As it happens, four of us
conducted a carefully set up DBT on this, using six copies of the same
CD (one of the group owns a record shop). The result was that green
pens made no difference. It was only later that I discovered that the
whole 'green pen' industry is based on a practical joke played by Jim
Johnston on one of the early audio newsgroups.

The bottom line is that there's no possible mechanism for this claimed
effect, given how CD replay actually works.

Green platters do almost as much.

That's true, in so far as neither actually does *anything*..........

Michael Scarpitti

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On 4 Oct 2003 15:39:08 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...

OTOH, many people have shown that sighted bias totally swamps any
subtle difference which *may* exist between components, while many
major manufacturers use DBTs every day in their research labs because
they are not interested in this pathetic 'debate' - they already
*know* that DBTs are the *only* way to determine subtle but *real*
sonic differences.

Nonsense. There is NO debate possible. True DBT isn't even remotely
possible for audio evaluation. DBT can be applied only to certain
kinds of scientific enquiries, and audio isn't one of them.

Certainly audio is one of them, your repetition of this baseless claim
doesn't alter the facts of the matter.

It's not a scientific 'test' at all. You're comparing YOUR MEMORY of
the sound with the ACTUAL PERCEIVED sound. Would you consider it a
valid test of a cloth's color if I showed you a sample of cloth (far
enough away that you could not recognize any pattern in the weave),
then removed it, and then showed you another (either the same or a
different one) five minutes later? Would you consider that a
scientific test of the color of the sample? Of course not!

In drug evaluations, for instance, DBT ensures that neither the
doctors nor the patients know whether a placebo or the real drug is
being given to the patient.

Quite so - as with audio DBTs.

It ensures no bias, but that's all it does. But just because something
is unbiased doesn't mean it's a valid test. It's not probatory. It
doesn't do what it claims to do. Only long-term comparative listening
can show what differences there are.

snip of irrelevant material

So, ultimately, DBT has only restricted usage (say to examine
spritualists' claims) and audio is not one of them.

Utter rubbish, as DBTs are used every working day in the R&D labs of
many of the major audio manufacturers. The best known are Meridian,
KEF, B&W and Harman International, which includes Revel, JBL, Mark
Levinson and Madrigal.

That proves nothing whatsoever. The question is: 'Is ABX a
scientifically valid test'. The answer is 'No'.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people
some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the
time.

Quite so, and very few people stay fooled about 'high end' audio.....

Cables do vary in their performance.

Not in any audible way.

Green edging DOES reduce
the noise on CDs in some cases.

NO, it absolutely does no such thing! As it happens, four of us
conducted a carefully set up DBT on this, using six copies of the same
CD (one of the group owns a record shop). The result was that green
pens made no difference. It was only later that I discovered that the
whole 'green pen' industry is based on a practical joke played by Jim
Johnston on one of the early audio newsgroups.

It works. I tried it on two identical copies of a CD. Less hiss and
noise were present, and the difference was blatantly obvious when I
switched the two CDs. I also have used a green platter. It makes less
of a change, but the same kind of change. I also tried a spray-on
product. It mmade no change whatsoever that I could hear. If I were
disposed to believe on way or then other, I would expect to hear no
difference. The fact that I was skeptical means that the green pen
made enough change to overcome my skepticism. The fact that I heard a
difference means also that I am a carful and sensitive listener. I
used Stax Lambda headphones for my listning evaluation. Other
transducer products may mask the subtle change.

I did not know what to expect when these products were purchased. I
heard the most difference with the pen, a little less with the
platter, and none with the spray cleaner. This was repeatable and
consistent. I ALWAYS heard the distinct improvement with the pen. I
ALWAYS heard a similar improvement with the platter, but somewhat less
intense. I NEVER heard any difference with the spray cleaner. In the
case of the first tow products, the difference was subtle but
distinct. If I had been influenced by claims of the mfrs, I should be
equally influenced by any of the products. The fact that there were
distinct differences among them meant that 'expectation bias' did not
enter into it.

The bottom line is that there's no possible mechanism for this claimed
effect, given how CD replay actually works.

Of course there is. Don't be silly! Any physical change in a system
can influence it.

Green platters do almost as much.

That's true, in so far as neither actually does *anything*..........

Since I heard a difference in the effects of these products, I must
assume something produced some sonic effect. Whether or not I could
pick it out in an ABX test is irrelevant, though I would be very
surprised if I could not.
Steven Sullivan

Scarpitti) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...

OTOH, many people have shown that sighted bias totally swamps any
subtle difference which *may* exist between components, while many
major manufacturers use DBTs every day in their research labs because
they are not interested in this pathetic 'debate' - they already
*know* that DBTs are the *only* way to determine subtle but *real*
sonic differences.

Nonsense. There is NO debate possible. True DBT isn't even remotely
possible for audio evaluation. DBT can be applied only to certain
kinds of scientific enquiries, and audio isn't one of them.

Certainly audio is one of them, your repetition of this baseless claim
doesn't alter the facts of the matter.

It's not a scientific 'test' at all. You're comparing YOUR MEMORY of
the sound with the ACTUAL PERCEIVED sound.

So? How does that make it NOT a scientific test at all? Are you saying that no
test involving memory can be scientific?

Would you consider it a
valid test of a cloth's color if I showed you a sample of cloth (far
enough away that you could not recognize any pattern in the weave),
then removed it, and then showed you another (either the same or a
different one) five minutes later? Would you consider that a
scientific test of the color of the sample? Of course not!

It certainly could be, depending on what was being tested.

Do you actually assert that all the papers ever published in the field
of psychoacoustics, not to mention perceptual psychology in general,
are NOT scientific?

In drug evaluations, for instance, DBT ensures that neither the
doctors nor the patients know whether a placebo or the real drug is
being given to the patient.

Quite so - as with audio DBTs.

It ensures no bias, but that's all it does. But just because something
is unbiased doesn't mean it's a valid test. It's not probatory. It
doesn't do what it claims to do. Only long-term comparative listening
can show what differences there are.

But long term comparative SIGTED listening tests are susceptible to bias.
And DBTs can be as long term as you like too. So what's your beef?

snip of irrelevant material

So, ultimately, DBT has only restricted usage (say to examine
spritualists' claims) and audio is not one of them.

Utter rubbish, as DBTs are used every working day in the R&D labs of
many of the major audio manufacturers. The best known are Meridian,
KEF, B&W and Harman International, which includes Revel, JBL, Mark
Levinson and Madrigal.

That proves nothing whatsoever. The question is: 'Is ABX a
scientifically valid test'. The answer is 'No'.

Strange, then, that scientists use it, don't you think? Are you
preparing a paper to set the field straight? Clearly a mistake has
been made.

conducted a carefully set up DBT on this, using six copies of the same
CD (one of the group owns a record shop). The result was that green
pens made no difference. It was only later that I discovered that the
whole 'green pen' industry is based on a practical joke played by Jim
Johnston on one of the early audio newsgroups.

It works. I tried it on two identical copies of a CD. Less hiss and
noise were present, and the difference was blatantly obvious when I
switched the two CDs.

You had to use memory, then, didn't you? Not very scientific.

I also have used a green platter. It makes less
of a change, but the same kind of change. I also tried a spray-on
product. It mmade no change whatsoever that I could hear. If I were
disposed to believe on way or then other, I would expect to hear no
difference. The fact that I was skeptical means that the green pen
made enough change to overcome my skepticism.

Hardly.

The fact that I heard a
difference means also that I am a carful and sensitive listener.

Hardly.

I did not know what to expect when these products were purchased. I
heard the most difference with the pen, a little less with the
platter, and none with the spray cleaner. This was repeatable and
consistent. I ALWAYS heard the distinct improvement with the pen. I
ALWAYS heard a similar improvement with the platter, but somewhat less
intense. I NEVER heard any difference with the spray cleaner. In the
case of the first tow products, the difference was subtle but
distinct. If I had been influenced by claims of the mfrs, I should be
equally influenced by any of the products. The fact that there were
distinct differences among them meant that 'expectation bias' did not
enter into it.

Are you aware that the whole green pen thing was a JOKE started by
an objectivist audiophile?

The bottom line is that there's no possible mechanism for this claimed
effect, given how CD replay actually works.

Of course there is. Don't be silly! Any physical change in a system
can influence it.

Good gracious.

Green platters do almost as much.

That's true, in so far as neither actually does *anything*..........

Since I heard a difference in the effects of these products, I must
assume something produced some sonic effect.

Other assumptions are possible, and must be ruled out.

Whether or not I could
pick it out in an ABX test is irrelevant, though I would be very
surprised if I could not.

You'd be the first. Go for it.

--
-S.

ludovic mirabel

Scarpitti said:
OTOH, many people have shown that sighted bias totally swamps any
subtle difference which *may* exist between components, while many
major manufacturers use DBTs every day in their research labs because
they are not interested in this pathetic 'debate' - they already
*know* that DBTs are the *only* way to determine subtle but *real*
sonic differences.

Pinkerton answered:
Nonsense. There is NO debate possible. True DBT isn't even remotely
possible for audio evaluation. DBT can be applied only to certain
kinds of scientific enquiries, and audio isn't one of them.

Certainly audio is one of them, your repetition of this baseless claim
doesn't alter the facts of the matter.

Scarpitti:
It's not a scientific 'test' at all. You're comparing YOUR MEMORY of
the sound with the ACTUAL PERCEIVED sound. Would you consider it a
valid test of a cloth's color if I showed you a sample of cloth (far
enough away that you could not recognize any pattern in the weave),
then removed it, and then showed you another (either the same or a
different one) five minutes later? Would you consider that a
scientific test of the color of the sample? Of course not!

In drug evaluations, for instance, DBT ensures that neither the
doctors nor the patients know whether a placebo or the real drug is
being given to the patient.

Pinkerton
Quite so - as with audio DBTs.

Double Blind component comparison and the ABX protocol are two
different things.
The practice of using the two interchangeably is common.
Blind comparing of components to conceal their origin, looks etc is a
sensible manoeuvre to prevent bias. But as Mr. Scarpitti says the
comparison of consecutive snippets works for some and it does not for
others.
And those others may THINK they are as good as anyone but they do not
KNOW it. So at home, for an audio consumer it is not and it can not be
a valid comparison. They may LEARN to hear in prolonged comparison
what they did not hear before. Or not. Who can tell?
"Double' has only been thrown in in imitation of the original medical
drug testing protocol. It makes perfect sense the I witnessed the
enthusiasm of the testing physician pervert the test.. In one case an
enthusiastic physician surrounded by the attendant train of nurses and
junior medical staff approached his first subject, long bedridden
with deforming rheumatoid arthritis , bearing a loaded syringe and
announcing a "new promising drug". The patient waited one minute and
then jumped out of bed and took his first few steps in years.
Sadly this flash in a pan did not recur. If things like that were
not common people would not be discarding crutches and wheelchairs in
the places of pilgrimage (but never a wooden leg as G.B. Shaw nastily
observed).
In most cases when comparing components at home with assistance
and reasonable precautions single blind is quite sufficient.
ABX protocol adds one more complication. You have to memorise A,
then B, then X and compare X with your memory of A and B.
When comparing components for what they'll do for us playing MUSIC
we have to use a complex MUSICAL signal. You collect a motley crew of
"audiophiles" and ask them if they heard a difference or not. Who is
"right"? The few who heard the difference or the majority who did not?
If you average the results you almost guarantee the "no
difference" verdict for anything under the sun.
This is an entirely different situation from psychometric or
psychoacoustic research. where a simple artefact of one kind or
another is used for a selected, trained audience.
You hear it or you do not. Period. You can check and validate.
At that the individuals diverge widely. The trained, as a group,
performed TWO HUNDRED SEVENTY times better than the untrained in Sean
Olive loudspeaker comparison group.(see the thread).
And these loudspeakers must have sounded VERY different. Two had
droopy bass and one hybrid (that I had heard) had two distinct
radiating sound sources: the woofer and the rest. (no names!). I did
not buy it.
Not to mention the intra group differences between individuals.
Please, note that Sean Olive DID NOT choose to use the ABX
protocol. He went double blind only.
I accept that blind listening is advantageous and may be a
necessity for some in this market- driven society. I accept that
proximate, ie brief snippet AFTER a brief snippet, listening is better
for those who are good at comparing CONSECUTIVE signals. I myself
prefer to compare blind SIMULTANEOUSLY left-right with random changes.
But one way or the other it may be advantageous for an audio consumer
to compare blind, at home, before buying.
I accept that psychoacousticians are happy with the ABX protocol
or its derivatives. THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM
COMPONENT COMPARISON FOR THEIR ABILITY TO REPRODUCE MUSIC.
I accept that some manufacturers use undefined, unreported double
blind (ABX?) comparisons. (see note below)
What I do not accept is that an ABX component comparison for an
average , untrained audiophile is THE TEST. I do not believe that it
proves anything if such a person hears no difference. There may be
none or else he is no good at ABX. How can he tell? He can't even tell
if with training he may not improve enough to hear what he did not
hear before. The challenges to anyone, including audio reviewers, to
take ABX test are absurd. One can be a discriminating listener but
terrible at ABXing -like for instance the writer.

Scarpitti
It ensures no bias, but that's all it does. But just because something
is unbiased doesn't mean it's a valid test. It's not probatory. It
doesn't do what it claims to do. Only long-term comparative listening
can show what differences there are.

So, ultimately, DBT has only restricted usage (say to examine
spritualists' claims) and audio is not one of them.

Pinkerton:
Utter rubbish, as DBTs are used every working day in the R&D labs of
many of the major audio manufacturers. The best known are Meridian,
KEF, B&W and Harman International, which includes Revel, JBL, Mark
Levinson and Madrigal.

I wonder when Mr. Pinkerton will stop calling on "manufacturers" to
defend his views
The first step in any scientific-aspiring debate is to supply a
proper reference as used in any branch of science. Reference points
one to the printed material that contains the details of:
First; the purpose of the test: A manufacturers' purpose could be to
find out eg. "Are we doing worse than Yamaha?"

1) how the subjects and the controls were selected
2) what statistical criteria were used
3) what kind of signal was used (pink noise?, music?)
3) what was compared with what including the details of ancillary
equipment.
4) what were the results, tabulated, with NUMBERS.
5) otcome with interpretation .

I pointed out several times that this kind of "reference" is just
gossip.
When we truly find a reference to read such as Sean Olive JAES article
it turns out that 1) He did not use ABX 2) there were tremendous
differences in performance between his subjects
Telling untrained, audio consumers with
different musical interests and experience that an ABX test will solve
their buying problems because manufacturers use it is an irrelevancy..
Of course, if one has nothing better...

The curious thing is that , of all people, it is those fulminating
most volubly against "high-end snake oil" should call on its prestige
at their convenience.
Ludovic Mirabel

[...]

Michael Scarpitti

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

If what (I thought?) 'I heard' is due to 'bias', how do you explain
the CONSISTENT differences I heard among three CD treatments (green
pen, green platter, and spray cleaner). If 'bias' is at work, how does
the 'bias' ALWAYS know to make the green pen the most 'effective' and
the green platter slightly less, and the spray cleaner completely
ineffective?How sophisticated my listening bias must be to be able to
do that, when before I tried any of these products I had no reason to
believe they would work at all? If anything, my experience with the
first one I tried (green pen) should predispose me to think the others
would work as well or better. That they did not work as well or at all
seems to be evidence that something other than 'bias' is at work.

'Bias' cannot also account for the consistency between trials. I tried
the spray cleaner over and over again, and heard nothing, despite my
wanting to....

The green pen was a no-brainer. I heard less noise. The green platter
produced a similar effect, but in lesser amounts. The spray cleaner
produced no effect. How can 'bias' account for this in repeated
trials?
Michael Scarpitti

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

'The color of the cloth', is what I explicity stated!
ludovic mirabel

At that the individuals diverge widely. The trained, as a group,
performed TWO HUNDRED SEVENTY times better than the untrained in Sean
Olive loudspeaker comparison group.(see the thread).

Must have been that wine for dinner. The correct number is
TWENTY SEVEN times. No doubt the well wishers will point it out. In
spades.
The joke is that it was I myself who posted the correct figure
in the "Sean Oliver" thread.
Ludovic Mirabel
Stewart Pinkerton

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Oh dear, are we reduced to explaining the basics - again? You believed
that green was some kind of magic colour (it isn't), so you believed
that something happened. Here's a clue - nothing happened. Once you
reach an initial conclusion under sighted conditions, you will
typically just reinforce it with each trial. This is quite unlike
blind testing.

How sophisticated my listening bias must be to be able to
do that, when before I tried any of these products I had no reason to
believe they would work at all? If anything, my experience with the
first one I tried (green pen) should predispose me to think the others
would work as well or better. That they did not work as well or at all
seems to be evidence that something other than 'bias' is at work.

'Bias' cannot also account for the consistency between trials. I tried
the spray cleaner over and over again, and heard nothing, despite my
wanting to....

Well, that's hardly a surpirise!

The green pen was a no-brainer. I heard less noise. The green platter
produced a similar effect, but in lesser amounts. The spray cleaner
produced no effect. How can 'bias' account for this in repeated
trials?

Easily, it happens all the time. Get over it and try it again under
blind conditions. Green pens do *not* work, indeed they *can't* work,
because there is no mechanism for them to work.

Keith Hughes

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
Nancy Eilers-Hughes wrote in message news:Xl3fb.482051$Oz4.322232@rwcrnsc54...

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
snip

I have the following to say about DBT in audio, and that is that since
we have to rely on memeory, and memory is not exactly reliable, DBT is
in fact impossible, as you cannot compare something perceived directly
now with something remembered, accurately.

Which *IF* accurate, applies equally to any test, sighted or DBT.

No, it does not apply to photographic lens testing. The results are
fixed on film and visible at any time. Side-by-side comparisons are
possible.

Which of course is irrelevant, and totally outside the topic under
discussion. Your posited limitation applies equally to sighted
(NOT visual) comparisons of audio equipment.

Hence the use of time proximate switching to minimize such effects.

I usually use the 'take it away' criterion. When I auditioned Monster
interconnect cables, I compared the $50 ones to the $100 ones. When I
put in the $100 ones to replace the $50 ones, I could not be sure I
heard a difference. When I put back the cheaper ones, I was certain I
did. I repeated this test a number of times, always with the same
results: the 'worse' was easier to spot when the 'better' was taken
away than when the 'worse' was taken away and the 'better' installed.

So, in sum: THERE IS NO WAY TO DO DBT IN AUDIO. IT'S A MYTH.

Uhmmm...all of which required you to remember how one cable
sounded, some time ago, and mentally compare what you currently
hear with that memory.

That's correct.

Thank you. You agree then that your premise is false.

Oh, wait, you yourself said that was
impossible, so obviously your cable test was a MYTH by your own
admission.

I DID NOT claim it was a double blind test, (now did I?), because I
believe that to be impossible in the strict sense of these terms FOR
COMPARISONS OF AUDIO EQUIPMENT.

It is of no consequence whether the test was SBT, DBT, or any
other protocol. You just agreed, above, that sonic memory was
required to perform any comparison test, including the one you
performed, yet your claim is, quote; "as you cannot compare
something perceived directly now with something remembered,
accurately".

I believe it was a useful and valid test: could I hear a difference
when I switched them in and out. The answer was 'yes'. And the memory
is indeed imperfect, so repeated tests over a long listening session
were required. The difference was slight, but noticeable and
repeatable.

Repetition of a 'flawed' test imparts no additional validity.
Since there are plenty of perceptual biases that can affect the
outcome of sighted tests, you cannot, based on your premise,
*ever* conclude that components sound different or, indeed, alike.

Actually, IMO, the myth is that knowing which cable was "worse"
(i.e. cheaper) did not affect the test outcome.

It did not affect the outcome. I wanted to see which set of cables to
use on which components, as I had already purchased them. The best
cables were to go between the CD player and the power amp, as I do not
use a pre-amp. I own a Sony CD player with a custom-modified variable
output stage. I had several sets of cables of various ages and price
ranges, some no longer remembered.

Well, again, based on your own assertions, you cannot know if the
outcome was affected. That's the whole point of the discussion.
All your claimed "deficiencies" relative to DBT's are also
limitations of all sighted tests (note I did not say visual
comparisons). Sighted tests just have the additional deficiency of
no bias controls (at a minimum).

Keith Hughes
Michael Scarpitti

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...
On 6 Oct 2003 22:00:08 GMT,
(Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

I heard something DESPITE my expecting NOT to at first (the green
pen), and heard nothing when I expected to (the spray-on cleaner).
That's sure some very tricky 'bias'!

It blows your assertion out of the water. It was consistent and
repeatable. You know, 'scientific'.

Scarpitti) wrote:

[...]

Nousaine

(Michael Scarpitti)

Scarpitti) wrote:

I heard something DESPITE my expecting NOT to at first (the green
pen), and heard nothing when I expected to (the spray-on cleaner).
That's sure some very tricky 'bias'!

Much of human bias is systemic, common to humans, and much of it may be held at
the subconscious level. So to 'say' that you held a particular bias is subject
to verification. That's why we use bias controls. You did not so you can't just
relate what your bias was and that you sometime held it in check with
willpower.

For example humans are prone to report 'differences' a large percetage of the
time when given a pair of identical sound clips ("Can You Trust Your Ears" AES
Preprint 3177, 1991 AES Convention).

So its relatively easy to 'hear' non-extant differences the first time when
auditioning 2 identical sounds and then simply repeat that decision every time
going forward under open conditions.

This is why people actually make a living selling audio products that have no
audio contribution other than basic commodity grade playback capability.

It blows your assertion out of the water. It was consistent and
repeatable. You know, 'scientific'.

Actually when anyone, me included, have tried to duplicate these results with
bias controls implemented have never found them to have audible consequence.

As Mr Pinkerton notes there is no mechanism for green-ink and green accessories
to have an audible effect.
Michael Scarpitti

(Michael Scarpitti)

[...]

I heard it, every time. Less noise.
Alan Hoyle

On 8 Oct 2003 14:48:32 GMT, Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Speaking of science, I note that you conveniently ignore my point that
there is no mechanism for green (or any other colour) pens to have any
physical effect on CD replay.

On the contrary, I've heard that black pens can hurt or help CD
replay, depending on how they're used.... :-)

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,52665,00.html

...Is an example of how they can "help" though in this case I think it
would make my ears hurt more....

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/