pad on class A pre-amps?

Old August 11th 03, 03:03 PM
Patrick

Default pad on class A pre-amps?

Hi,
I recently purchased a Sytek MPX-4A pre, and it does not have pads on
it. When taking it into a studio (where I'm going to be at a lot in
the upcoming months), it was clipping when running into a Digi002 and
both gain stages (Sytek and Digi002) were at zero. What pad would be
approrpiate to apply on the signal, -10, -20? Would someone recommend
decent manufacturers/online stores? Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Old August 11th 03, 03:12 PM
Rob Adelman

Patrick, I had the same problem when I was using the Sytek pre. I bought
4 of the Shure in-line pads with the 3 adjustable settings. They solved
the problem perfectly. I think I ended up using them at the -20 setting.

-Rob

Old August 11th 03, 04:38 PM

Patrick > wrote:
>I recently purchased a Sytek MPX-4A pre, and it does not have pads on
>it. When taking it into a studio (where I'm going to be at a lot in
>the upcoming months), it was clipping when running into a Digi002 and
>both gain stages (Sytek and Digi002) were at zero. What pad would be
>approrpiate to apply on the signal, -10, -20? Would someone recommend
>decent manufacturers/online stores? Thanks in advance,
>Patrick

How much you need depends on how much you are clipping.

Shure, Audio-Technica, TecNec, and probably a bunch of other companies
make some little adjustable pads with switches on them. Most of them go
from 5 dB to 30 dB. Get a handful of them and keep them in the kit.
Everybody should have a bunch of them around and they turn out to be
useful all the time.
Old August 12th 03, 05:34 PM
Preben Friis

"Jim Williams" > wrote in message
om...

> Scott, do these pads change the phantom power voltage?

Scott answered that question in:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...ads%22+phantom

/Preben Friis