bj

Default there's not any alternative of neve 1089 or Focusrite Red 1

Hi
I am using Mackie vlz pro as mic preamp
and I have c1 and c-session cd
when I heard c-session cd, I noticed that neve or focusrite mic preamp
have a commercial vocal sound ,which is really bright and silky
but the price is really high
there is no the alternative of neve 1089 or focusrite red 1 which
have similar sound for them?
Joe Mama

bj wrote:
Hi
I am using Mackie vlz pro as mic preamp
and I have c1 and c-session cd
when I heard c-session cd, I noticed that neve or focusrite mic preamp
have a commercial vocal sound ,which is really bright and silky
but the price is really high
there is no the alternative of neve 1089 or focusrite red 1 which
have similar sound for them?

There's a saying.
You get what you pay for.
Maybe not RULE OF LAW, but applies most of the time, near as I can tell.
Buy it properly the first time, and you won't have to buy it again.

HTH,
joe.

hank alrich

bj wrote:

Hi
I am using Mackie vlz pro as mic preamp
and I have c1 and c-session cd
when I heard c-session cd, I noticed that neve or focusrite mic preamp
have a commercial vocal sound ,which is really bright and silky

What microphone was used for thsoe demo tracks, designed to entice you
to buy the hardware?

but the price is really high
there is no the alternative of neve 1089 or focusrite red 1 which
have similar sound for them?

FMR RNP, about $475, will put you into a preamp good enough that preamp
quality needn't be a concern until you are much further down the
recording road.

http://www.fmraudio.com

--
ha
philicorda

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 03:27:22 -0800, bj wrote:

Hi
I am using Mackie vlz pro as mic preamp
and I have c1 and c-session cd
when I heard c-session cd, I noticed that neve or focusrite mic preamp
have a commercial vocal sound ,which is really bright and silky
but the price is really high
there is no the alternative of neve 1089 or focusrite red 1 which
have similar sound for them?

The Focusrite ISA220 sounds pretty similar to the Red 1 to me.
Or, the Red 8, which has only two channels rather than the four of the red
1, and is cheaper.

philicorda

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:32:34 +0100, JP Gerard wrote:

The Focusrite ISA220 sounds pretty similar to the Red 1 to me.

It should, it's the same transfo, into the same IC...

And I was so sure the Red 1 sounded a little nicer. The ISA220 lacks the
beautiful exterior metalwork of the red 1, so while it may have the same
components, it never sounds quite as good to me.
hank alrich

philicorda wrote:

JP Gerard wrote:

The Focusrite ISA220 sounds pretty similar to the Red 1 to me.

It should, it's the same transfo, into the same IC...

And I was so sure the Red 1 sounded a little nicer. The ISA220 lacks the
beautiful exterior metalwork of the red 1, so while it may have the same
components, it never sounds quite as good to me.

Red is warmer, no doubt about it.

--
ha
Rob Reedijk

bj wrote:
Hi
I am using Mackie vlz pro as mic preamp
and I have c1 and c-session cd
when I heard c-session cd, I noticed that neve or focusrite mic preamp
have a commercial vocal sound ,which is really bright and silky
but the price is really high
there is no the alternative of neve 1089 or focusrite red 1 which
have similar sound for them?

How about the Bryston BMP2? They are actually quite expensive. But if you
find one for sale, they are so obscure that you might get it for a good deal.

Rob R.

once you get into the high price area, there are many choices.

"you've got wallet? we've got answers".