Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dieter Britz[_3_] Dieter Britz[_3_] is offline

Default Digitiser

I have bought a Behringer UCA 122 audio digitiser,
nice little gadget. I connected it to my PC and it
spent some time installing - something - which however
didn't appear on the screen as an icon. A Behringer
adviser (someone in India) tells me I should use Audacity
"or the like" to use the digitiser, but I cannot see
how I can tell Audacity to take the signal from the
UCA thing.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Behringer
thing and can give me some advice?

--
Dieter Britz
Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Dieter Britz wrote:

I have bought a Behringer UCA 122 audio digitiser,
nice little gadget. I connected it to my PC and it
spent some time installing - something - which however
didn't appear on the screen as an icon. A Behringer
adviser (someone in India) tells me I should use Audacity
"or the like" to use the digitiser, but I cannot see
how I can tell Audacity to take the signal from the
UCA thing.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Behringer
thing and can give me some advice?

Don't know about PCs, but on a Mac, if you look in Audacity's
Preferences, you see "Devices", and from there you can select any
installed Recording source. Of course, this assumes the Behringer thing
is properly installed.

Isaac
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Dieter Britz wrote:
I have bought a Behringer UCA 122 audio digitiser,
nice little gadget. I connected it to my PC and it
spent some time installing - something - which however
didn't appear on the screen as an icon. A Behringer
adviser (someone in India) tells me I should use Audacity
"or the like" to use the digitiser, but I cannot see
how I can tell Audacity to take the signal from the
UCA thing.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Behringer
thing and can give me some advice?

Don't know about PCs, but on a Mac, if you look in Audacity's
Preferences, you see "Devices", and from there you can select any
installed Recording source. Of course, this assumes the Behringer thing
is properly installed.

The Behringer doesn't even need drivers (unless you want to use ASIO4ALL),
and automatically installs itself in Windows.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
isw isw is offline

In article , "Trevor"
wrote:

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Dieter Britz wrote:
I have bought a Behringer UCA 122 audio digitiser,
nice little gadget. I connected it to my PC and it
spent some time installing - something - which however
didn't appear on the screen as an icon. A Behringer
adviser (someone in India) tells me I should use Audacity
"or the like" to use the digitiser, but I cannot see
how I can tell Audacity to take the signal from the
UCA thing.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Behringer
thing and can give me some advice?

Don't know about PCs, but on a Mac, if you look in Audacity's
Preferences, you see "Devices", and from there you can select any
installed Recording source. Of course, this assumes the Behringer thing
is properly installed.

The Behringer doesn't even need drivers (unless you want to use ASIO4ALL),
and automatically installs itself in Windows.

My guess is that if the drivers are already there, they came as a part
of the OS install. That's pretty common; I know Apple does it that way.

Isaac
Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Platt David Platt is offline

In article ],
isw wrote:

Don't know about PCs, but on a Mac, if you look in Audacity's
Preferences, you see "Devices", and from there you can select any
installed Recording source. Of course, this assumes the Behringer thing
is properly installed.

The Behringer doesn't even need drivers (unless you want to use ASIO4ALL),
and automatically installs itself in Windows.

My guess is that if the drivers are already there, they came as a part
of the OS install. That's pretty common; I know Apple does it that way.

Most USB-connected audio adapters these days implement a standard
USB-audio endpoint interface, and announce it in their USB
descriptors. Similarly, most modern operating systems support the
host side of this interface, and "glue" it to their own audio APIs
(Windows sound system, OSS, ALSA, etc.). So, the basic audio
goezintas and goezoutas are largely "plug and play" these days, as
long as the device and OS implementations are reasonably well done.

The audio boxes may also have pushbutton controls, indicators, and so
forth which are often implemented as USB HIDs (human-interface
devices). These may or may not be supported by the OS and any
particular application.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"isw" wrote in message
]...
The Behringer doesn't even need drivers (unless you want to use
ASIO4ALL),
and automatically installs itself in Windows.

My guess is that if the drivers are already there, they came as a part
of the OS install. That's pretty common; I know Apple does it that way.

Well yes the standard USB drivers are part of the OS, that was my point.
Just plug it in and select it in your DAW.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dieter Britz[_3_] Dieter Britz[_3_] is offline

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:58:46 -0700, isw wrote:

In article ,
Dieter Britz wrote:

I have bought a Behringer UCA 122 audio digitiser,
nice little gadget. I connected it to my PC and it spent some time
installing - something - which however didn't appear on the screen as
an icon. A Behringer adviser (someone in India) tells me I should use
Audacity "or the like" to use the digitiser, but I cannot see how I can
tell Audacity to take the signal from the UCA thing.

Does anyone out there have experience with the Behringer thing and can
give me some advice?

Don't know about PCs, but on a Mac, if you look in Audacity's
Preferences, you see "Devices", and from there you can select any
installed Recording source. Of course, this assumes the Behringer thing
is properly installed.

Isaac

It has taken a long time (been busy) but I just
found out that I can do this under Linux. Just plug
the gadget in, start Audacity, choose the Codec input,
and Bob's your uncle. Lovely. I hate Windows anyway.

--
Dieter Britz