Bob Marcus

Default Differences In Audio Components That I've Heard And Not Heard

Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

The inconvenient fact that you don't mention is that if there is no

change
in signal due to acoustic stimulus at the auditory nerve before it gets

the brain, the 'ear-brain construct' is IRRELEVANT.

And you ignore the fact that the brains auditory processing is not simple
physical registering, but also pattern matching and the ability to make
sense out of things that in and of themselves, in isolation, may not make
sense or even "register".

C'mon. The brain can't react to a stimulus that doesn't reach it. Period.

snip

As far as I (and others of my persuasion can tell, there has never been
serious auditory research conducted either in support or against the use of
dbt abx'ng (or even a-b'ng) as a testing device *FOR THE OPEN ENDED
EVALAUTION OF AUDIO COMPONENTS*.

DBTs don't test components; they test hearing. You are claiming that human
hearing operates differently when listening to audio components than when
listening to anything else. When you come up with some evidence to support
that claim, we'll be glad to consider it.

bob

Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp
Harry Lavo

"Bob Marcus" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Okay, Bob. Where in your EE books does it tell you that the brain is
hardwired for rhythm and for positive reaction to certain harmonic
structure.

Where in your audiology books written before 1995 does it tell you that
music elicits a response in the pleasure center of the brain.

They don't, but these are facts recently discovered by researchers in
different fields. And they obviously indicate that "music" is far more
integral to the human psyche than mere "sound". And yet you can't even
begin to admit that maybe, just maybe, their must be an accounting for such
differences in how we test to determine can/cannot hear in evaluating
musical reproduction?

Dick Pierce

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message news:fqDcc.85530$JO3.44033@attbi_s04...
Okay, Bob. Where in your EE books does it tell you that the brain is
hardwired for rhythm and for positive reaction to certain harmonic
structure.

Where in your audiology books written before 1995 does it tell you that
music elicits a response in the pleasure center of the brain.

To be complete, the full title of the text I cited is most instructive:

Hermann L. F. Helmholtz, "On The Sensations of Tone as a Physiological
Basis for the Theory of Music," 1st German edition 1862, cf. Alexander
Ellis' English translation of the 4th German edition, 1877, pub. 1885,
available through the Henry Margenau edition of 1954, Dover Publications,
New York.

And to reiterate the point, the high-end audio biz once again is just
tickled pink tripping over stuff that was known to the rest of the
world for a LONG time, and is so thrilled when it still manages to
completely misunderstand, misapply and misinterpret the obvious.
Dick Pierce

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message news:fqDcc.85530$JO3.44033@attbi_s04...
Okay, Bob. Where in your EE books does it tell you that the brain is
hardwired for rhythm and for positive reaction to certain harmonic
structure.

Where in your audiology books written before 1995 does it tell you that
music elicits a response in the pleasure center of the brain.

Hermann Helmholtz, "The Sensation of Tone," 1877, etc.

Harry, this notion that the discovery of such "facts" is "new"
and some how "revolutionary" and supports some of the more
bizarre notions of the high-end audio business is simply another
example of the high-end audio's belief that it is somehow at
the forefront of such knowledge when, in fact, it has spent most
it's time with it's excessively swollen head stuck firmly in it's
as., uh, the sand.

This stuff is OLD news, EXCEPT to the high-end audio industry.
It is over a century old at least as far as pure objective
science is concerned. It was known to Helmholtz, it was known
to the researchers at Bell Labs and such, and yet the high-end
audio business jumps up and down when some corporate sponsored
lackies come up with "research," using heavily cooked data, that
surprisingly supports some corporate agenda, or is conducted in
the most slovenly fashion that you could as easily prove the
existance of a backed brie moon as prove the brain is hardwired
for rhythm.

If the auditory periphery can't detect it, then any "differences"
perceived MUST be due to a furtive imagination.

Unless, of course, you are invoking paranormal or other "magic"
abilities.

Are you?

S888Wheel

From: (Dick Pierce)
Date: 4/7/2004 10:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

This is kind of ridiculous. Where has the "highend industry" made any
proclamation that the fact that music elicits a response in the pleasure center
of the brain is a new discovery? How can you take a debate with Harry and paint
the entire highend industry with his claims?
I would like to think someone who represents himself as scientific and
objective would be above such political propaganda.

Harry Lavo

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Nope, nor am I basing anything on "the high end industry". I am basing it
on articles covering research done in the last dozen years by professionals
in the field of physiology. I am postulating that directed pattern
recognition is certainly not known, but has some potential plausibility
given what we are finding out, just as being able to listen below the noise
floor is not plausible on the surface, but is plausible once we know how
human hearing handles frequency discrimination.

And to the best of my knowledge, the "hardwiring" of rhythm is a brand new
discovery based on research done just a few years ago. And since physiology
on live patients was not possible in the mid-1800's except through
self-reporting, I doubt that brain research of that era showed activated
pleasure centers. :-)

Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for the source. Since I don't have the book, it would save I and
others a lot of time and trouble if you could cite a few of the most
relevant passages (e.g. those relating to the pleasure center of the brain)
and cite what pages these quotes are on.

Otherwise, we will have a timeout on this discussion until I can locate and
read the book.