Terry

Default Digital voice recorder with time stamp

I am looking for a digital voice recorder that can time-stamp the
recordings in some way (ideally in the file-name, perhaps as audio
added to the beginning of the recording?).

Besides that, my requirements would be small and light, reasonable
audio quality (voice), and high speed computer interface (in other
words, don't make me play the audio back and re-record it on the
computer). A built-in speaker would be nice, and simple one-handed
operation would be good too.

Background (if you care): I have used a micro-cassette recorder for
years to take notes while hiking and photographing. This lets me
easily note what exactly I am shooting, and where, and any other
details that I might want to know later. Recently I have tried using
my flash-mp3 player, which has a record function, for this. It is
small and the audio quality is surprisingly good, better than the
micro-cassette, but the user interface is not very convenient for this
function. The cassette recorder is easily a one-handed operation, but
the mp3 player often requires two hands (or "shifting" the recorder in
my hand to reach the other buttons). The cassette recorder has a
built-in speaker, while the mp3 player requires headphones to listen
to what you recorded. And I would *really* like a time-stamp. Since my
digital camera also stamps the time in the EXIF information, this
would let me easily correlate the photos and the audio notes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Terry

gregs

In article , Terry wrote:
I am looking for a digital voice recorder that can time-stamp the
recordings in some way (ideally in the file-name, perhaps as audio
added to the beginning of the recording?).

Besides that, my requirements would be small and light, reasonable
audio quality (voice), and high speed computer interface (in other
words, don't make me play the audio back and re-record it on the
computer). A built-in speaker would be nice, and simple one-handed
operation would be good too.

I have been using an Olympus DS-330. One of the smaller units on
the market. It records up to 5.5 hrs. On high quality its somewhat
better sounding. It still has that some of that digital garbling sound but
is readable. It has a fixed memory, USB interface, and would
probably meet your needs. You can record into different folders, and
has time stamps. I have not done anything with the recordings since
I was just archieving, being stored ino files with dates and comments.
Also has voice activation with variable sensitivity.

greg

Jukka Andersson

get some nice recorder that fits your needs and clock that has voice option,
when you need time to be placed on recording you just use that watch.

I personally use Creative Nomad and it makes .mp3 or .wav files that has
recording time (start) as a filename.

..jukka

"Terry" wrote in message
[...]

Terry

"Terry" wrote

I am looking for a digital voice recorder that can time-stamp the
recordings in some way.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

It's interesting that neither the Olympus nor the Creative products
mention the clock and time-stamp capability in their marketing
material. So I dug into the online manuals for the Olympus recorders,
and it looks like most of them have a time-stamp. Unfortunately, most
of the low-cost models don't have a PC interface (USB). The lowest
price I found was in the $100 range.

That makes the Creative look attractive, since it is also an MP3
player, and probably has better audio quality. Which model exactly
are you referring to? Do you know if all the Creative flash mp3
players have time-stamps on the voice files?

Does anyone know of other mp3 players that have time-stamps on the
voice recording?

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Ruth

I have used the voice recorder function of my digital camera for this, but
also there is http://www.retellrecorders.co.uk/rec...ine/918100.htm
which says that it has date and time, and a USB connection to a PC.
RuthWest

"Terry" wrote in message
[...]

Terry

Ruth wrote:

I have used the voice recorder function of my digital camera for this

Unfortunately, the voice recorders in both my digital cameras are
almost useless. When enabled, it records for a fixed time (15 secs, as
I recall) after I take a shot. No way to shorten or lengthen the time,
no way to record without taking a shot. A horrible design.

but
also there is http://www.retellrecorders.co.uk/rec...ine/918100.htm
which says that it has date and time, and a USB connection to a PC.

And it appears the MMC card is removable, so I can just use a card
reader, nice. Expensive, though. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look
into this further.

Terry