Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Need Advice: Best MultiTrack for Video Editing?

andrew.zey wrote:

I'm looking for the best video editing software which will have
capable audio mixing either built in or integrated in the suite (Like
Soundtrack Pro in Final Cut Studio or Adobe Premiere's built-in audio
mixing). This is important as the music is tightly synced to the
video, so the layout must be done first in the video editor, then
exported and polished in the audio mixing software. I must be able to
retain clip positions from the video editor.

I think you need to call your local Avid rep. Be prepared to write a big
check.

1. FCP Doesn't allow convenient sub-frame editing. It can be done, but
very awkwardly

Just like editing 16mm.... it's no fun. A lot of other systems are nicer,
and if need be you can export to Pro Tools or something and then re-import.

2. FCP Limited to AIFF files, as WAV sometimes has serious drifting
problems due to mis-identification of SMPTE framerate.

Are you sure about that? Neither wav nor AIFF files actually contain any
timecode data. As long as everything is at 48 ksamp/sec, everything should
be fine. Your timecode stuff is all out of band.

3. FCP & STP have undefined meters (don't specify which algorithm is
used). Both ignore peaks which are detected in WaveLab 6 running on PC

That's also something you'll find standard throughout the audio industry,
uncalibrated and doubtful metering. Get an outboard calibrated meter from
RME or Dorrough and trust it.

4. STP Inability to pan submix busses and master mix.
5. STP Inability to nest/group busses (so I only have 1 level of
grouping available that would allow panning)
6. STP Inability to copy&paste any effects or automation data
7. STP is counter-intuitive, as it requires at least 1 sub-mix, which
cannot be panned!
8. STP each AUX bus has to be mapped to a submix bus
9. All of the FCS only supports AU plugins, not MacVST's.

Here is one hint: you can use the workstation as a set of locked dubbers,
then use a mixer to do the actual mix in realtime. This gives you the best
of both worlds, and it's just like working with film and means you can avoid
all the nonsense.

Points 4-8 are really a deal-breaker with STP, as it makes it
extremely clumsy and awkward to get any serious mixing done.

Edit on an editor, mix on a mixer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
andrew.zey andrew.zey is offline

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to look in Avid more
seriously. I'm somewhat weary of Pro Tools, as it doesn't yet have a
32-bit internal audio resolution, which does make an audible (albeit
slight) difference in the end result when using lots of and effects
and plugins.

Although FCP officially supports WAV, I have had terrible problems
with audio drifting away from the video stream when using 24-bit 48khz
files recorded and mastered in Samplitude. Converting them to AIFF
fixed the problem. It is a wierd problem that a couple other people
had posted about on the Apple Forums, and is not really documented
anywhere.

editing and mixing - certainly when my budget allows - I will
simply get a dedicated meter and mixer hardware. I'm frankly surprised
that the software solutions are so inadequate though!

Hi Arny,

Thanks for the advice. I'll test to see how capable the Premiere /
Audition combination is. Hopefully they've updated them for some round-
tripping capability. This would probably be the best option I've found
so far. I have had it confirmed by an Adobe rep that there is a known
issue with AIFF's on Premiere CS5 on Mac. They recommend converting
everything to AIFF- go figure.

Final Cut doesn't play nice with WAV, and Premiere doesn't play nice
with AIFF!

On Aug 23, 5:52*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
andrew.zey wrote:

I'm looking for the best video editing software which will have
capable audio mixing either built in or integrated in the suite (Like
Soundtrack Pro in Final Cut Studio or Adobe Premiere's built-in audio
mixing). This is important as the music is tightly synced to the
video, so the layout must be done first in the video editor, then
exported and polished in the audio mixing software. I must be able to
retain clip positions from the video editor.

I think you need to call your local Avid rep. *Be prepared to write a big
check.

1. FCP Doesn't allow convenient sub-frame editing. It can be done, but
very awkwardly

Just like editing 16mm.... it's no fun. *A lot of other systems are nicer,
and if need be you can export to Pro Tools or something and then re-import.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

andrew.zey wrote:

[...]

My editor has been using Media Composer (albeit not the latest
version). He still spots the audio mix I give him in Premiere, where
he can drag the audio to match picture (like a drummer's cymbal hit.)
We do use BWF's.

Will Miho