Sundeep Singh

Default Subwoofer - what can it really take?

I recently installed a Lightning Bolt A1.300 amp (300W RMS ) powering a 12"
Infinity 1230W (reference series) sub which maxes at 1200W and 300W RMS.
Can I turn the gain up on the amp all the way or do I risk blowing the sub?
What are the factors involved here? I mean both are 300W RMS...not sure if
this means that any settings of the amp will not max out the sub. Any
insight would be appreciated.

Sunny

MZ

"Peak" ratings literally don't mean anything. Ignore them.

Comparing the "RMS" rating is problematic too because these are two
different companies - one may be exaggerating the numbers while the other
may be quite conservative.

Ultimately, I'd go into it confident that you won't overpower that sub
with that amp unless you're really going to town with the volume knob...

As for the gains, set them as you normally would.
www.installer.com/tech/gains.html is the link, I think. Having a
subwoofer level control up front with you is useful too. If your deck
doesn't have one, and the amp doesn't have a remote level control, you
could always wire it up using your fader - assuming you're not using all 4
channels of your head unit's power.

subwoofer hum jts Tech 3 October 22nd 04 03:18 AM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian General 15 February 20th 04 09:11 PM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian Audio Opinions 15 February 20th 04 09:11 PM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian Tech 60 February 20th 04 09:11 PM
Main speakers with builtin subwoofer - How to configure receiver? Michael Harder Audio Opinions 0 October 28th 03 11:18 PM